Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I do have a 3080 but my performance has been in the 90s-100s as far as I recall. I had a valheim phase recently so I haven't gone back to it but I never thought there was any performance issues. I think there was a numbered update half recent and I haven't played that, they changed the biomes again recently and the caves are now huge and gorgeous. They made the game world taller I think, there's just more variation in terrain. Will definitely be going back though

Seeing sunlight through a 1 block hole in the wall after spelunking for a half hour is amazing. And it's just light!

Also seeing lava light the cave from further down and out of sight is beautiful. The different materials bouncing light and changing its colour is also amazing. I have a cotton room that's all white and it has a giant stained-glass wall where the sun rises. Sometimes its nice to just chill in the amazing colours room. I have to keep some torches in there so mobs don't spawn but I destroy them whenever I visit

Sorry, uh, AMD CPUs.... I love my 5800x3D, wish I had a few more cores but I can't complain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For me Minecraft seemed to be hard capped at 60 when I turned RT on. This was with a 3060ti, but it was only at 50% or so utilization. It was a rock solid 60, so I don’t think it was a bottleneck.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Has anyone ever run into Ryzen Master not installing after switching CPUs? Don't particularly want to reinstall/reset Windows just for this but I'm also not able to boot into safe mode sooo... :negative:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ijyt posted:

Has anyone ever run into Ryzen Master not installing after switching CPUs? Don't particularly want to reinstall/reset Windows just for this but I'm also not able to boot into safe mode sooo... :negative:

Is it the driver?

I think I had to do this at one point:
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/ryzen-master-driver-not-installed-properly/m-p/130205/highlight/true#M30570

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Strangely no, don't see that. The installer runs but it doesn't actually install anything, it's weird.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

forest spirit posted:

Yeah I don't get it.

Pretty much. It was the same for me going from 1440p to 4k resolution. Everything looked better. RT stuff for me is very much like VRR. Once you've seen it you can't go back. Everything non RT looks very "flat" by comparison.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I guess everyone is different - I think VRR and RT is more noticeable than 1440p - 4k. At least on a computer monitor. I recently started gaming on my LG C2 65" and I'd also throw LCD - OLED into the very noticeable camp. (More than the jump from 1440p - 4k)

I've actually been gaming at 1440p on the C2 because I only have a 3070/5800x powering it and I think it looks great.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 5, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

1440/RT/100+Hz/OLED/HDR/DLSS/X3D/4090 is the premium gaming stack of today and at least 5 people can afford it

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Oh yeah, forgot HDR. That's also more noticeable than 4k. I didn't even play with HDR until I got the C2, it's pretty fantastic for games.

My next computer monitor will absolutely be an OLED.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
with higher contrast you'll also want higher resolution. it's a vicious cycle :v:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
3440x1440 supremacy imo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've been forced back to an old 1080p tv recently, and honestly I haven't minded it much. Games downscaled to 1080p can look a whole lot better than at the native 1080p I was used to.

What I've missed most is higher than 60 frame rates.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Truga posted:

with higher contrast you'll also want higher resolution. it's a vicious cycle :v:
I'm quite happy with the Gigabyte M27F-A, which is a 1920*1080@165Hz IPS monitor with 10-bit color depth, 99% sRGB color satuation and HDR.

Also, it has a KVM built-in - which is a very nice feature to have, and I don't understand why more monitors don't have it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i have a M32Q and i only hope it lasts long enough for microled to filter down to consumer screens :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

samsung announced a 76" microLED TV at CES but they conspicuously didn't state the resolution anywhere

is the density still so poo poo that they can't even hit 4K on such a large panel?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
The 110" is 4k so the 76" would be less.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

repiv posted:

is the density still so poo poo that they can't even hit 4K on such a large panel?

Yes, but reverse. They can't hit 4k with a SMALLER panel.

This is not a tech we're going to see at normal screen sizes at 4k in this decade most likely unless they make some huge breakthroughs.

There's a reason why Samsung has started buying LG OLED panels.

MicroLED seems like a great replacement for projection in midsized cinema screens. It would be a huge quality jump and likely big maintenance savings as well.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 5, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There have been some breakthroughs, look up "Q-Pixel" or "Porotech," which are two R&D firms that have both recently developed single-LED pixels to triple the effective density and both have 4000 - 5000 DPI microdisplays working in lab environments. Different color wavelengths are generated by modulating the pulse height and width of the current being fed to the LEDs. So say goodbye to subpixels, I guess.

This is a situation that's similar to OLED actually where we're getting two or three very different manufacturing methods that are ideal for different types of displays. We have microdisplays with thousands of DPI being developed alongside massive 100" displays for studios or rich people, but neither MicroLED technology can be scaled to monitor or even regular TV size, and they probably won't for the rest of the decade.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 5, 2023

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

100" is perfect monitor size wdym

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kaddish posted:

I guess everyone is different - I think VRR and RT is more noticeable than 1440p - 4k. At least on a computer monitor. I recently started gaming on my LG C2 65" and I'd also throw LCD - OLED into the very noticeable camp. (More than the jump from 1440p - 4k)

I've actually been gaming at 1440p on the C2 because I only have a 3070/5800x powering it and I think it looks great.

I noticed going from "true" 4k, to UW 4k (3840x1600). I think my brain is broken :P

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How is that “UW 4K” when it’s no wider than a standard 4K display, and has less vertical resolution? The world is a shambles.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

That’s not UW 4K. UW 4K would be like the 5120x2160 resolution LG 40WP95C.

3840x1600 is closer to 21:9.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This is a situation that's similar to OLED actually where we're getting two or three very different manufacturing methods that are ideal for different types of displays. We have microdisplays with thousands of DPI being developed alongside massive 100" displays for studios or rich people, but neither MicroLED technology can be scaled to monitor or even regular TV size, and they probably won't for the rest of the decade.

VR is going to become mainstream not because it makes any loving sense, but because tiny per-eye displays become the only advanced display tech.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SourKraut posted:

That’s not UW 4K. UW 4K would be like the 5120x2160 resolution LG 40WP95C.

3840x1600 is closer to 21:9.

According to the way monitor manufacturers refer to monitors, 3840x1600 is 4K Ultrawide. It's (around) 4000 pixels wide and is an ultra wide form factor. 5120x2160 isn't 4K, it's 5K. (or as some people say, 5K2K)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Madness.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

How is that “UW 4K” when it’s no wider than a standard 4K display, and has less vertical resolution? The world is a shambles.

It's the aspect ratio. 21:9 vs 16:9

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Also we changed from measuring the vertical to the horizontal, 1080p high to 4K wide (3.84K).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

4K is simultaneously 4096 pixels wide or 3840 pixels wide depending on who you ask

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

According to the way monitor manufacturers refer to monitors, 3840x1600 is 4K Ultrawide. It's (around) 4000 pixels wide and is an ultra wide form factor. 5120x2160 isn't 4K, it's 5K. (or as some people say, 5K2K)

I thought 3840x1600 is (U)WQHD+, since that’s how it’d go by VESA traditional nomenclature? I’ve honestly never seen a manufacturer refer to 3840x1600 as “4K Ultrawide”, so would be curious to see an example.

Most seem to be adhering (somewhat) well to VESA and ITM’s guidelines in general for usage of the 4K acronym.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 6, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Our House.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
5600X3D Review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NW8TU80fP4

Seems like this cemented my upgrade path for now. I'll probably wait until after Prime Day to see if there are any deals there, then scoop this up.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 6, 2023

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

5600X3D Review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NW8TU80fP4

Seems like this cemented my upgrade path for now. I'll probably wait until after Prime Day to see if there are any deals there, then scoop this up.

Assuming you mean you're going for the 5600x3d - they are only available in very limited numbers at Microcenter - so unless you're hoping that they will both be still available and be on sale at that point at Microcenter - you won't have any luck. AFAIK microcenter doesn't do stuff coincident with Prime Day, and I'd be surprised if this cpu ever goes on sale tbh.

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023
To chirp in, Micro Center is likely going to do a 5600x3d bundle, bundling it with a B550 board (my suspicion is the Tuf B-550 since they got quite a bit in stock at my local store ) and 16 gb of 3200 cl16 g.skill ram (probably ripjaw again, what they have a lot of)

Speculation is bundle price will be around 329ish, which, compared to 229 for 5600x3d, 170 for B550, and 40 for ram, is not bad, but locking yourself into the AM4 ecosystem.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah - GN Steve showed a microcenter ad for a 5600x3d, Asus B550-Plus TUF gaming WiFi and 16GB of ddr4 for $329

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CodFishBalls posted:

Speculation is bundle price will be around 329ish, which, compared to 229 for 5600x3d, 170 for B550, and 40 for ram, is not bad, but locking yourself into the AM4 ecosystem.

As a fellow AM4 ecosystem inmate, the 3D vcache cpus are really nice and accommodating jailers :sun:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Appreciate them adding late-game Stellaris to the benchmarks

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shipon posted:

Appreciate them adding late-game Stellaris to the benchmarks

They’re going to need to post their methodology because the reported numbers don’t even refer to things the game uses.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I assume a "turn" for them is one month of game time?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
assuming very late game stellaris, game runs about a day per second, so probably?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Assuming you mean you're going for the 5600x3d - they are only available in very limited numbers at Microcenter - so unless you're hoping that they will both be still available and be on sale at that point at Microcenter - you won't have any luck. AFAIK microcenter doesn't do stuff coincident with Prime Day, and I'd be surprised if this cpu ever goes on sale tbh.

I meant wait for prime day to see if another cpu's price drops enough, and if not go get a 5600x3D from microcenter. I live about 45 minutes away from one, and in the video it says microcenter thinks they have enough stock for 3-6 months.