Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Ehud posted:

In terms of the seasonal content?

I feel like season 1 is basically something in between late D3 and current PoE seasons, which is about what I expected for season 1.

Yeah, but PoE has a good endgame loop. D4 has dungeons and if they wanna change that they gotta do more than just give us different powers to run dungeons with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lol their original plan was for literal full reset every season, that's wild that they thought people actually wanted to do all of that every 3 months

I think there were some vocal "D3 ruined Diablo by making it too easy/hand-holding" people and/or masochists who loudly complained and they overcorrected too much.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ehud posted:

In terms of the seasonal content?

I feel like season 1 is basically something in between late D3 and current PoE seasons, which is about what I expected for season 1.

imo it's a good enough gimmick for the season but no it would be laughed out of the room if they tried to present that as the total content for a poe season. the gem effect that they're adding basically was part of the last poe season, except that was paired with a huge in-engine separate roguelike game that had a pile of main-game meta-defining items linked to it and multiple bosses and so on.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I think there were some vocal "D3 ruined Diablo by making it too easy/hand-holding" people and/or masochists who loudly complained and they overcorrected too much.

yeah it's perplexing insofar as the game is clearly meant to appeal to fairly casual players and not people with end-stage arpg brain worms. poe only gets away with the reset stuff because 1) progression is way, way faster than d4 (as in you'll be in the poe equivalent of world tier 4 within 1-7 days depending on how good you are at the game) and 2) it's a game for people who lean to the brain worms end of the spectrum

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 6, 2023

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
That exp thing better change cause I’m not going to grind that much exp again. The seasons are supposed to be super fast to level not barely faster than normal.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Philthy posted:

12% was maxed out. its 3% per tier, with 4 tiers

its not worth paying for imo

Season gifts are free.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Let's just say you don't pay... with money

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
More dudes, need wider screen

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Season gifts are free.

I thought they said some ashes were behind the paid tiers

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
adam said something about better rewards for nightmare dungeons and helltides and that the changes would come with the s1 patch

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

imo it's a good enough gimmick for the season but no it would be laughed out of the room if they tried to present that as the total content for a poe season. the gem effect that they're adding basically was part of the last poe season, except that was paired with a huge in-engine separate roguelike game that had a pile of meta-defining items linked to it and multiple bosses and so on.

It's not that far from current PoE season, I mean it's still light as there're way more than 32 crucible nodes, but the malignant tunnel is kind of like the remnants. But also this is one of the worst PoE league mechanics in ages, so the fact that they missed the lowest bar is kind of bad. I'll still play it though, still interesting to just play new characters/builds, but hopefully they pick it up in future seasons.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Philthy posted:

I thought they said some ashes were behind the paid tiers

Paid battle pass is 63 tiers of cosmetics only.

Free battle pass is 27 tiers for ashes and a few cosmetics.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They've given every indication that they intended for seasons to be basically playing the game from scratch and honestly I commend them for pulling the brakes on that so fast before that train crashed into the wall.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

scroll of amnesia resets all paragon points

it's...a way to deal with the no reset all paragon button

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

SettingSun posted:

They've given every indication that they intended for seasons to be basically playing the game from scratch and honestly I commend them for pulling the brakes on that so fast before that train crashed into the wall.

People have been screaming about it nonstop then moment it became a possibility

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is PoE or Diablo 4 better? Is that a question that has been asked before? Could one be considered more good?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

SettingSun posted:

Scratch works fine in d2/D3 because there isn't a massive world to unluck stat boosts and renown in.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
That was it?

:kstare:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's not that far from current PoE season, I mean it's still light as there're way more than 32 crucible nodes, but the malignant tunnel is kind of like the remnants. But also this is one of the worst PoE league mechanics in ages, so the fact that they missed the lowest bar is kind of bad. I'll still play it though, still interesting to just play new characters/builds, but hopefully they pick it up in future seasons.

yeah people almost universally poo poo on this league mechanic for being barely any content. only reason the playerbase wasn't more outraged was that the base game is in a really good spot and that there was a huge new relevant game coming out halfway through the season so people weren't as concerned with longevity as normal.

honestly i think the gem mechanic is a good start. it's not a ton of content, but who is really surprised by that. they're clearly still playing catch up with how early the release date was

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is PoE or Diablo 4 better? Is that a question that has been asked before? Could one be considered more good?

they're apples and oranges. they're barely even really in the same genre despite both being isometric games

SettingSun posted:

yeah

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 6, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So... these hearts may not exist in season 2 and beyond.

They are explaining they don't want it dense? What? That's the best part about POE. All those mechanics add up and the ones you don't like you just ignore and walk past them.

Ugh. Went from optimistic to they might screw this game entirely.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

PoE is a job, man. It's extremely deep with tons of legacy bloat, you have to do point-and-click, very hard platforming challenges to unlock key skills, you're going to need a whole bookmarks folder of webpages and third party resources, it has the least intuitive currency system devised by man. I've played it for a couple of hundred hours and I had a good time, but I knew that I was basically signing up for 5 full credit hours of ARPG

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

great news. they both exist and if you don't like one you can play the other

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Philthy posted:

you cant use xp boost until you're level 40.. shouldn't it be xp boost before level 40?

Donnerberg posted:

Right... of course they're selling skips on their battle pass.

They said a few times pre-release that they were going to gate battle pass XP bonuses and the like behind some requirement to actually play the game, specifically so that everyone wouldn't whine about people buying skips to unlock those early.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Philthy posted:

They are explaining they don't want it dense? What? That's the best part about POE. All those mechanics add up and the ones you don't like you just ignore and walk past them.

This is exactly how it's been done in Diablo 3. Seasonal gimmicks don't last. Its fine

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

so the new boss battle i would really like to know if it's an endgame boss battle like uber Lilith or what

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

acumen posted:

great news. they both exist and if you don't like one you can play the other

Yeah and PoE is free, the only mtx you need to spend on is additional stash tabs, and you will know whether you want to keep playing or not well before you get to that point.

Philthy posted:

It's a huge problem for new players.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Just make renown unlock after doing fun poo poo in the game, like how voidstones and favorite maps unlock in PoE after doing certain bosses or whatever. Lilith altars and map reveal crap ain't it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Philthy posted:

All that poo poo crammed into PoE is why I can't get into the game. It's a huge barrier for new and dumb players like me.

just playing along the campaign and suddenly I have to figure out how to enchant some random poo poo on my sword, then I'm in an underground mining cave, then I'm battling pokemon or something. I get confused!!!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Anyone worried about the eternal realm is concern-trolling.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
As someone who didn't really care for PoE this is pretty cool since I never did league. Honestly as dumb and silly and cringy as they can be, you can tell they're really trying to stick the landing with this and I'm into it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

George H.W. oval office posted:

This is exactly how it's been done in Diablo 3. Seasonal gimmicks don't last. Its fine

And that's why people specifically expected them to compete with POE they needed to keep mechanics moving forward. Otherwise, POE sit on the throne still.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

devs saying it's fine to just take a break, they're talking about the people who played for 200 hrs in the first 2 weeks lol

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Philthy posted:

having 3 billion different mechanics where some might not matter like POE loving sucks poo poo and is mega overwhelming for returning players. Filtering them out each season is good to keep it comprehensible

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

PoE and D4 are so far apart from each other they border on incomparable. PoE is free but in exchange you need to take a course on how to make a character and catch up on a decade of updates. Also playing it for any length of time practically begs you to buy the neat consumable stash tab.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

CBD Corndog posted:

having 3 billion different mechanics where some might not matter like POE loving sucks poo poo and is mega overwhelming for returning players. Filtering them out each season is good to keep it comprehensible

No, it really doesn't. It makes it incredibly loving awesome. Saying you want less is better is the dumbest poo poo.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Every time POE comes out with a new seasonal tab I worry that the lovely mechanics are not going to get cleaned out for POE2. Game has needed an editor for a long time.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Any info about balance changes?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The one caged heart they've shown on screen is "of the Picana"

A picana is a cattle prod.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I assume they'll be keeping most of the season content as part of the game for a while because they clearly launched the game without all the content that they intended for it to have and apparently that's coming in the form of seasonal content

SettingSun posted:

PoE and D4 are so far apart from each other they border on incomparable. PoE is free but in exchange you need to take a course on how to make a character and catch up on a decade of updates. Also playing it for any length of time practically begs you to buy the neat consumable stash tab.

yeah. poe thread just talked a first-time player through the entire game this season and he hit 100 and killed every boss in the game on his first character, which is a helluva accomplishment... dude has 250 posts asking questions in the thread lol. so it's doable but yeah it's a ton to learn and definitely isn't for everyone.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 6, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
do i get more stash tabs or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Theotus posted:

Any info about balance changes?

Nothing was mentioned about balance