Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I’m just inside doing my economic activity in a very normal world and climate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
imo the thing to stockpile isn't perishable foods but things that would be incredibly hard to get in your local area - equipment and tools, chemicals, poo poo like that. also you'll never use it, it'll just be bethesda-tier environmental storytelling for when someone finds your skeleton among the rusted-to-dust remains and sells your waterlogged textbooks for a handful of caps

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

SixteenShells posted:

imo the thing to stockpile isn't perishable foods but things that would be incredibly hard to get in your local area - equipment and tools, chemicals, poo poo like that. also you'll never use it, it'll just be bethesda-tier environmental storytelling for when someone finds your skeleton among the rusted-to-dust remains and sells your waterlogged textbooks for a handful of caps

indeed. don't forget to leave an ipad hooked up to a solar panel beside your skeleton, open to your posting history

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

SixteenShells posted:

you'll wanna stockpile these, their usefulness cannot be overstated

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

are those weights for a gilllnet

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

look at this idiot who doesn't know what the dodecahedra are for

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i think you put dog treats in there so your dog can entertain itself chasing it around if you die

not required if you have a cat though, as all cat owners know deep down how it's gonna play out if Mittens outlives them

(e: the ones with really big holes are for really dumb lazy dogs)

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

as good a guess as any! the romans left them everywhere

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

The Oldest Man posted:

look at this idiot who doesn't know what the dodecahedra are for

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

celadon posted:

I'm not falling for that Cenobite bullshit again. No thank you.

It was 26ºC in my office today. A/C be hosed, especially since it was only 21ºC outside...

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Are they for standardizing stuff? Maybe the holes are for like the sizes of dowels or whatever we're using around here

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Real Mean Queen posted:

Are they for standardizing stuff? Maybe the holes are for like the sizes of dowels or whatever we're using around here

They're dick sizers

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

celadon posted:

ah yes the three seashells :shuckyes:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Real Mean Queen posted:

They are mysterious roman origin artifacts of which there is no surviving description or explanation so people just make up poo poo about them.

This was gone over in a half dozen different GBS threads because of that weirdo who founded an entire company on his idea that they were used for 3D fluid modeling of sling projectiles by sealing them with wax so he designed his own $5,000 box of water to connect to computers that was supposed to be able to perfectly model things with ancient roman techniques he claimed to have rediscovered. I can't find it now but he came to the forums for one of them to have a breakdown.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Rectal Death Adept posted:

They are mysterious roman origin artifacts of which there is no surviving description or explanation so people just make up poo poo about them.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

celadon posted:

They’re for making socks. Seriously. every time some scientist gets all excited a bunch of grandmas go THEY ARE FOR MAKING SOCKS but no one listens because socks are way less cool than Atlantean hydrodynamic calculators or whatever.

https://youtu.be/76AvV601yJ0

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Hubbert posted:

ah yes the three seashells :shuckyes:

Lmao

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

This was gone over in a half dozen different GBS threads because of that weirdo who founded an entire company on his idea that they were used for 3D fluid modeling of sling projectiles by sealing them with wax so he designed his own $5,000 box of water to connect to computers that was supposed to be able to perfectly model things with ancient roman techniques he claimed to have rediscovered. I can't find it now but he came to the forums for one of them to have a breakdown.

Fuckin incredible

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

occluded posted:

They’re for making socks. Seriously. every time some scientist gets all excited a bunch of grandmas go THEY ARE FOR MAKING SOCKS but no one listens because socks are way less cool than Atlantean hydrodynamic calculators or whatever.

except there’s no reference to spool knitting until the 1500s and bronze was hella expensive to make tools for knitting with

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

im pretty sure they were doohickeys. having one made you the coolest guy in your regiment. theyre like impossible to counterfeit unless youre a skilled bronzesmith, portable, ladies love them, men want to be the man who has one, etc. can use as a store of value. can tie a string to them and do beyblades. lots of options

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

occluded posted:

“When I was a student at Cambridge I remember an anthropology professor holding up a picture of a bone with 28 incisions carved in it. 'This is often considered to be man’s first attempt at a calendar' she explained. She paused as we dutifully wrote this down. ‘My question to you is this – what man needs to mark 28 days? I would suggest to you that this is woman’s first attempt at a calendar.’”

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

celadon posted:

im pretty sure they were doohickeys. having one made you the coolest guy in your regiment. theyre like impossible to counterfeit unless youre a skilled bronzesmith, portable, ladies love them, men want to be the man who has one, etc. can use as a store of value. can tie a string to them and do beyblades. lots of options

before crypto bros there were dodecahedron bros

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://twitter.com/99blackbaloons/status/1676701417589862400?s=20

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

except there’s no reference to spool knitting until the 1500s and bronze was hella expensive to make tools for knitting with

ah yes, records missing from the extremely well-documented area of women's crafts, how damning

\/\/ holy poo poo celadon, hits for days

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

tuyop posted:

ah yes, records missing from the extremely well-documented area of women's crafts, how darning

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

gently caress trees, they've never done poo poo for me

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

this is just the earth balding, its totally natural

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I saw some TV show that landed on the dodecahedrons were used for surveying. The different sized holes were references for standard sized targets at different distances. Seemed reasonable to me.

I do like the idea of Roman grannies using them for socks tho :3:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

They're dick sizers, you put your dick in them to get your standardized roman dick size

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

can someone add these to cow tools

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

They're dick sizers, you put your dick in them to get your standardized roman dick size

perfect for your gladius

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Actually it's fine

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

tuyop posted:

ah yes, records missing from the extremely well-documented area of women's crafts, how damning

\/\/ holy poo poo celadon, hits for days

sure but that doesn't mean we should assume "those dumb historians never considered it was for socks" when they have, and there are issues with that theory too.

like knitting is estimated to have been invented in the 3rd to 5th century AD and the doohickies are from 2nd to 4th centuries AD.

this is why history is fun to study, you can keep wondering forever on some things.

lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

also it is insane to consider how many things took a long as time to be invented and propagate, like it took until the 12th century AD for homes to get chimneys in england.

we could lose the last 500 years of tech and still have a bunch of incredibly powerful technologies that took thousands of years to propagate the first time. its going to be hard to undo the existence of an understanding of 0 or of pi.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

its gonna be REALLY cool if records management becomes fully digital and we lose the ability to transfer knowledge to future generations after a potential collapse of global industrial civilization

just getting big mad at fancy broken rock + metal mosiacs that we once shot electricity through for the wisdom they contained

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

intact smartphones will become valuable as true black mirrors

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

jokes on you i never understood 0 or pi in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Trabisnikof posted:

also it is insane to consider how many things took a long as time to be invented and propagate, like it took until the 12th century AD for homes to get chimneys in england.

england forgot how to make bricks when the romans left and took their brick making knowledge ("put mud in a square") with them

how we managed to come back from that and take over a quarter of the world is beyond me