Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tsietisin posted:

From the UK fund perspective, we do not means test in any way.

We have had large requests which would have used up nearly all the fund. I'm doing so it would have hindered our ability to help others.

In those situations we have worked with the applicant to see what can be done, should this be advice that can help with their situation, what they need right that moment, does it need to be the full amount right now? Are there other ways we can help your situation that doesn't require money, etc. Can you be paid in installments?

All of those have meant that we are still in a good position.

I agree the only questions should be logistics like this and not really come up if we're not running out of cash when someone needs beneath our current cap -except the deadline one maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

vortmax posted:

Full disclosure: I just got help from Goonfund and it wasn't as much as I requested but it was still a huge help.

I want to add that I was shown this thread by some friends and have also received less than requested but the only reason was because the form said to be honest about what I actually needed. I didn't expect to receive that amount but what was sent has helped me survive so I am very sincerely grateful.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Stumbled across this from the banner ad. This is super cool but what's to stop someone from just lying and trying to get as much as they can from the fund? Its not like goons are a bastion of good faith, see: *gestures vaguely at any number of threads in this very subforum*

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

This is a fund that tries to help goons in need. I have personally received help from this fund, in a time of need and difficulty for me. I don't even live in the US, so the people here had 0 "obligation" to help me out. But they did.

If a sick gently caress wants to take advantage of charity and essentially deprive help from people in need (because that is where the money is supposed to go), then they can certainly do it.

Since you mentioned this, C-SPAM is supposed to be the leftist subforum. You know, the one where people actually care about society and the working class itself, instead of personal gain and corpse surfing in this capitalist dystopia we live in.

If someone identifies as a "leftist", hangs around here, and then proceeds to take money away from the fund for personal gain...well, it simply adds another irony level to it.

That is what happens when you try to help people in the real world. It is what it is.

Dante80 has issued a correction as of 09:40 on Jul 6, 2023

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Kwolok posted:

Stumbled across this from the banner ad. This is super cool but what's to stop someone from just lying and trying to get as much as they can from the fund? Its not like goons are a bastion of good faith, see: *gestures vaguely at any number of threads in this very subforum*

If some rear end in a top hat scams $150 while 25 actual people in need are helped by it over a month, it's not going to make me stop donating, don't really care.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Kwolok posted:

No system is perfect. There will always be assholes who will use it for their own benefit; that's just how humans are. But better to let one person game the system than to go 'welp, pack it in boys' and let every single person who genuinely needs the help go without.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

my bony fealty posted:

If some rear end in a top hat scams $150 while 25 actual people in need are helped by it over a month, it's not going to make me stop donating, don't really care.

Whose to say its not helping one person and letting 25 actual scammers get a pay day? Anecdotal's of someone occasionally saying "Thanks goons" (which still doesn't prove its good faith) don't mean anything.

Means testing sucks rear end don't get me wrong. I have absolutely zero idea how you would keep this system honest without denying people access or making people uncomfortable who need it, but I have a hard time convincing myself to donate knowing some weird russian apologist may be asking for it for no reason other than its free cash.

Kwolok has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Jul 6, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i am sure, to the extent that us-based cspam posters who like russia are asking for money from the fund, that they probably need the money too. and i dont think anyone wants for peoples post histories to be vetted to make sure they have the correct politics before the money is paid out.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kwolok posted:

Whose to say its not helping one person and letting 25 actual scammers get a pay day? Anecdotal's of someone occasionally saying "Thanks goons" (which still doesn't prove its good faith) don't mean anything.

Means testing sucks rear end don't get me wrong. I have absolutely zero idea how you would keep this system honest without denying people access or making people uncomfortable who need it, but I have a hard time convincing myself to donate knowing some weird russian apologist may be asking for it for no reason other than its free cash.

:gb2gbs:

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
it'd be hard to do repeatedly and the amounts are pretty small so it's not something anyone is getting rich off of. who cares. fund helped me out quite a bit too, was able to actually feed myself for the next couple weeks. when i'm less broke i'll be donating back.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

your first scenario there is a dreamed up fiction, much like the dreamed up fictions that resulted in clinton destroying social security, among other examples. your second scenario is believing that only people who are ideologically aligned with you deserve help.

those two scenarios, and peoples' belief in them, are why people don't support social services. they are also largely why a loving internet forum has to organize mutual aid funds.

despite you saying that means testing sucks and is wrong, it is what you are describing.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

i am sure, to the extent that us-based cspam posters who like russia are asking for money from the fund, that they probably need the money too. and i dont think anyone wants for peoples post histories to be vetted to make sure they have the correct politics before the money is paid out.

I agree but I also don't want to support people who support the literal extermination of my family atm (we just found out my cousin is missing and may well be dead) and I feel as though that is a legitimate human response.

I understand though if this conversation is not productive or appropriate for the thread so I'll drop it.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Kwolok posted:

I understand though if this conversation is not productive or appropriate for the thread so I'll drop it.

thanks, it's not

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lmao people are so obsessed with means testing that they will talk about who gets what from a mutual aid fund that has like $2000, exists only on an internet forum, and isn't even donated to by the people arguing about it

speng31b
May 8, 2010

as the OP states, we do verify that anyone asking for money is a member of the community in good standing (they have an SA account that is not an obvious burner and are not permabanned).

I think with those criteria alone it would be pretty tough to be running a large scale scam and fly under the radar, but as others have mentioned, we do not means test and we do not scour post histories for the "right type of poster" we agree with politically or otherwise.

we probably won't change our stance on this because it seems like the right balance, but if people have genuine suggestions or ideas to improve anything we are happy to discuss.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I don't care if my posting enemies get some of the cash I toss into the fund as long as someone gets some food or security they weren't going to have. The US sucks at taking care of people, and funds like this are good and cool in a lovely world

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

lobster shirt posted:

i do

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"But what if someone's scamming us" is a question that can be (and has been) asked of any charitable or aid effort, and even when it's not a deliberate excuse to not do anything (such as the rhetoric around various universal school lunch programs recently) at a certain point the answer has to be that you accept a level of risk in order to be able to help anyone at all.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
sucker rear end scammers only ask for a little money at a time. as we speak my alt is worming its way to the very inner circle of the goon fund, once complete i will heist the riches and flee to a non extradition country

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The gain from a scam attempt is low and not worth it but the genuine help generated by keeping it open has a high ceiling

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Kwolok posted:

I agree but I also don't want to support people who support the literal extermination of my family atm (we just found out my cousin is missing and may well be dead) and I feel as though that is a legitimate human response.

the fund is for all goons, not just ones in CSPAM. They do not care what the political beliefs are of the recipients of the fund and coming in here and doing whatever it is that you are doing, is incredibly vile

If you wish to litigate the war topic though, please take it to the appropriate thread. I'm sure they would be happy to explain their positions more thoroughly

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Kwolok posted:

I'm very sorry to hear about your cousin and I hope they're okay.

Your choice to support, or not, the fund is exactly that: your choice. I think the fund being ideologically neutral (beyond the 'poster on Something Awful in good standing' thing, which certainly weeds out some beliefs) is, again, worth the risk that money might go to someone who believes things I don't personally care for or support.

(Besides, consider that sometimes material support can help keep someone from going over an ideological cliff as well as a physical one, not always, and you won't know, but sometimes.)

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The committee will not be reviewing people's posts to make sure they have political opinions that match the donors. If this turns you away from donating, then that is a loss we are willing to take.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Kwolok posted:

which psycho rereg are you

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Kwolok posted:

when u think about it the real scam is the economy op

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
going ro dump bleach on these day olds before tossing them just in case some homeless guy i disagree with tries to eat them

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

your first scenario there is a dreamed up fiction, much like the dreamed up fictions that resulted in clinton destroying social security, among other examples.
Thanks, I was trying to bring up the "welfare queen" myth in relation to this and you did it better than I could.

My only test would be "how much do they post in FYAD" but even that is dumb.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Kwolok posted:

I agree but I also don't want to support people who support the literal extermination of my family atm

I agree and that's why I don't think goon fund should give money to anyone who has materially supported the war efforts of the USA's government by paying taxes.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

the fund is for all goons,

No it's not.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

please stop with the bickering in this thread, we have an answer already and we don't need to poo poo it up in here

:thanks:

really queer Christmas posted:

The committee will not be reviewing people's posts to make sure they have political opinions that match the donors. If this turns you away from donating, then that is a loss we are willing to take.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Yesterday I announced that, as goon fund czar, I’ll establish a goon fund debt forgiveness program for gold star c-spam posters who start a thread that operates for three years about disadvantaged topics.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

vortmax posted:

Thanks, I was trying to bring up the "welfare queen" myth in relation to this and you did it better than I could.

My only test would be "how much do they post in FYAD" but even that is dumb.

So, weren't you banned from the previous iteration of this thread due to your insane "lol I spent the money you gave me on scratch-offs" poo poo? How and why are you posting here again?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i don't think we need to continue this slapfight :thanks:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

END OF JUNE FINANCIALS:

June as a month was both a struggle and a triumph for us. We expanded the fund more formally into GBS with the goal of bringing in more donors and hopefully get more eyes on the fund. And we definitely did both! And man, there's a lot of eyes on it, which I hope has been able to give people the help needed from people who have it to give. The biggest worry that I continue to have is just pure fundraising. I'm sure people are tired of hearing it but we only have a recurring donation amount of $2,215 a month to handle, what was $9,000 in requests fulfilled for June. The only reason we were able to do so was because of nearly $8K in one time donations from people - which is massively appreciated from people no matter which subforum you hail from!!

A couple things I do want to point out, first off, we did have a pretty decent cash on hand at the end of the month, and I know there may be some people who still have open requests who may be wondering why we kept that much on hand. Well, we disbursed about $1500 this week and only received a couple hundred dollars since the 1st. From the 30th's $1,648 we went to this by the end of the 5th

The bank holiday certainly didn't help.

We have around $5,000 in unfilled requests, 5 of these requests are $500 or greater. All outstanding but unfulfilled requests have had $125 - $400 given to them ($400 was disbursed over two months). I say this NOT to shame those who have requested this much (and would very much like people to not comment on these larger requests) but to let those who have submitted these requests know that we are doing what we can to help and haven't forgotten you - but we only have so much to give in short periods of time.

The banner ads have also been a big boon - we have several people donating and requesting who have said they learned about the fund from the banner ads - thank you to speng for the original ones and thank you to homeless friend for the funny ones.

I said back in June I was hoping to do a fundraiser, but sadly the prize did not win admin backing - which was crucial as the prize can literally only be implemented by them. So if anyone does have an idea - please let me know!!

I do also want to reiterate that our fund is open to all goons who are members of this forum - ie you are not permabanned or on a burner account. We do not care if you're funny as poo poo or white noise as hell, we do not care about your political opinions (if you're a nazi or transphobe you should be banned thus alleviating us of this problem), or otherwise how active of a poster you are.

really queer Christmas has issued a correction as of 03:08 on Aug 14, 2023

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

I said back in June I was hoping to do a fundraiser, but sadly the prize did not win admin backing - which was crucial as the prize can literally only be implemented by them. So if anyone does have an idea - please let me know!!

It's very high effort, but have you considered running a telethon/long stream of some sort?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Do those figures factor in where we're at with remibursing the board for the help getting things up and running, such as kingcobweb's seed loan?
I hope the folks volunteering labor aren't feeling extra pain for stepping up.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Nea posted:

It's very high effort, but have you considered running a telethon/long stream of some sort?

dont know if i can be entertaining enough on a stream or have enough content to make people tune in and donate. its worth a shot though

Coolness Averted posted:

Do those figures factor in where we're at with remibursing the board for the help getting things up and running, such as kingcobweb's seed loan?
I hope the folks volunteering labor aren't feeling extra pain for stepping up.

KCW is still owed his $564, He was supposed to collect it last weekend but forgot and it worked out for the fund since we got down to under $300 at one point (we are now at $445). So we still need extra funds to get through that and of course to help people.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

dont know if i can be entertaining enough on a stream or have enough content to make people tune in and donate. its worth a shot though

KCW is still owed his $564, He was supposed to collect it last weekend but forgot and it worked out for the fund since we got down to under $300 at one point (we are now at $445). So we still need extra funds to get through that and of course to help people.

usually for this sort of thing you'd get a bunch of other people on as rotating guests or even to take over hosting, it's somethin you'd probably want to recruit for, but you used to be the mod of LP, yeah? you could probably drag in some folks

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Do challenge runs, like playing XCOM with units named after watchers.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ll pledge doing a really awful tutorial of workers and resources live, drunk, during the graveyard telethon hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I am loving lucky that my piss-poor self still has family that cares about me because otherwise I'd be hitting you guys up for $250 a week ago. Thanks for being here for those who aren't.

Edit: for entertaining streaming, I know how to break Pokemon B/R and Morrowind in the unlikely event that matters. I did a let's play on another site a long time ago of Blue that went well (screenshot format, not streaming).

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 20:57 on Jul 10, 2023