Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

V. Illych L. posted:

eh the guy got banned for that and this isn't that

in general i find the insistence on dunking on people instead of engaging to be pretty tedious

Right, it would be cool if we could discuss donation of jets without being accused of enabling or outright supporting genocide. The Latvian mod with his list of posters non grata is no longer around to ensure debate is conducted in a civil manner, unfortunately.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
How about some new topics??
- why is the sek so weak? Bah god that’s the Euro’s music??
- what’s the deal with “uh food prices might go up again whoops”? I did see that the clear loving monopoly had most to do with the costs getting to obscene levels, we gonna just uh…we gonna do something about that?
- looks like more Koran burnings oh and we have a Bible and Torah on the list too, bet that’ll go over well
- this rain, which we needed

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i would actually like to hear someone explain cogently what's going on with the nok and sek. you'd think that the massive ongoing energy insecurity would boost at least the nok

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

V. Illych L. posted:

i would actually like to hear someone explain cogently what's going on with the nok and sek. you'd think that the massive ongoing energy insecurity would boost at least the nok
Divine punishment for leaving Denmark.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

seems right, op

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

teen witch posted:

- what’s the deal with “uh food prices might go up again whoops”? I did see that the clear loving monopoly had most to do with the costs getting to obscene levels, we gonna just uh…we gonna do something about that?

- looks like more Koran burnings oh and we have a Bible and Torah on the list too, bet that’ll go over well

BRB, gonna go burn a ICA-reklamblad outside Maxi.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
I am not an economist but I know the DKK is pegged to the Euro which means our central bank is obliged to do whatever it can to follow whatever that currency does.

This makes the whole thing more stable both because the markets - internal and external - are expecting this and because large currencies are less volatile, provided the country or superstate that issues them doesn't do something stupid like invade another country.

I would guess the SEK is low because of uncertainty about their NATO membership? Idk "the market" is a black box of paranoia and voodoo. Norway is a total mystery to me, but I suppose they have enough money that a poor exchange rate doesn't really affect them.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

V. Illych L. posted:

Love reading about how we need to raise interest rates to combat inflation caused by a weak currency and record profits.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Among other things, last I checked Sweden still has low interest rates, compared to much of the rest of the EU at least. It then becomes yet another export, not just goods and services but also capital to foreign destinations. With prevailing lower interest rates, borrowers in Sweden (and Norway) find themselves in a favorable financial position, generating surplus cash.

Consequently, investors are borrowing funds at the aforementioned comparatively attractive rates and channeling them into European investments that offer higher yields. As a result, the currency experiences a decline while other global currencies are on the rise. As the Euro strengthens, so do the Euro-dominated yields, further fueling the cycle of capital export. This perpetual process seems to lead to a continuous decrease in the value of the Kronor.

Also, the rising oil price has opened the door for shale producers again, which doesn't help oil supplying Norway.

But I'm just an amateur completely talking out of my rear end right now.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 5, 2023

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

norway and sweden have a central interest rate of 3,75% with the ECB rate being 3,5% unless i'm missing something? there's some discrepancy in the timing etc., but it doesn't seem to me like that should have this level of effect

Cynic Jester posted:

Love reading about how we need to raise interest rates to combat inflation caused by a weak currency and record profits.

well the central bank only has a hammer...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Sek is not weak because of nato lol it has nothing to do with it. It’s been tanking for several years.

There are many things at play, but Riksbanken loving things up for decaded trying to achieve a perfect 2 percent inflation at the cost of everything has a lot to do with it. Supply and demand, worse ed by a hosed up housing market.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 5, 2023

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

lilljonas posted:

Sek is not weak because of nato lol it has nothing to do with it. It’s been tanking for several years.

There are many things at play, but Riksbanken loving things up for decaded trying to achieve a perfect 2 percent inflation at the cost of everything has a lot to do with it. Supply and demand, worse ed by a hosed up housing market.

I see
2 percent is certainly... ambitious.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

2,5 percent had been the inflation target in norway since forever when it was adjusted to 2 a few years ago during that period where all the interest rates were negligible, presumably in an attempt to avoid actually having to do negative interest rates

god knows why it's still at 2, though

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Don't make me post the Danskjävlar video

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

jeebus bob posted:

Norway is a total mystery to me, but I suppose they have enough money that a poor exchange rate doesn't really affect them.

we are woefully non-self reliant, and ironically even though we are one of the largest exporters of stuff like fertilisers and fish, we’re also really really dependent on imports, especially all kinds of fruits and ingredients for more nutritious food for livestock (idk what kraftfôr is) such as soy etc, that means that outside inflation has a big impact on our own up here, with a weak NOK making the problem worse. as to why the NOK is in the dumps, I have the faintest idea, and it doesn’t sound like bankers are all that wiser. they all name the same handful of hypotheses from “small currencies are risky/volatile” to some others with a big caveat of “but we’re just speculating here”

in some libertarian-leaning circles, they speak loudly about how it’s all because the national bank keep selling and printing NOK that makes the price plummet, but i don’t know enough to either support or outright reject that idea as bollocks

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Placeholder posted:

Don't make me post the Danskjävlar video
That's just compounding your crimes in the eyes of God.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ulvir posted:

we are woefully non-self reliant, and ironically even though we are one of the largest exporters of stuff like fertilisers and fish, we’re also really really dependent on imports, especially all kinds of fruits and ingredients for more nutritious food for livestock (idk what kraftfôr is) such as soy etc, that means that outside inflation has a big impact on our own up here, with a weak NOK making the problem worse. as to why the NOK is in the dumps, I have the faintest idea, and it doesn’t sound like bankers are all that wiser. they all name the same handful of hypotheses from “small currencies are risky/volatile” to some others with a big caveat of “but we’re just speculating here”

in some libertarian-leaning circles, they speak loudly about how it’s all because the national bank keep selling and printing NOK that makes the price plummet, but i don’t know enough to either support or outright reject that idea as bollocks

as a petrostate we do have effectively infinite dollars which we could presumably burn to stabilise the currency, but that might have some other consequences

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it is really strange that the world’s largest sovereign wealth fund isn’t helping the currency from taking this hard

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
What DO you use it for?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the point of it is to turn norway into a rentier state in a way which is sustainable for as long as financial capitalism is the order of the day. basically we spend the dividends to smooth over some serious political conflicts.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

the point of it is to turn norway into a rentier state in a way which is sustainable for as long as financial capitalism is the order of the day. basically we spend the dividends to smooth over some serious political conflicts.
And presumably it's more sustainable with a weaker NOK, right? That is, the fund is essentially denominated in the global market, rather than NOK, so if the NOK goes down the internal purchasing power goes up.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
There's at least one group loving every second of a weak currency. That group is people owning exporting companies.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

And presumably it's more sustainable with a weaker NOK, right? That is, the fund is essentially denominated in the global market, rather than NOK, so if the NOK goes down the internal purchasing power goes up.

well, yeah, except that norwegians, as previously noted, consume an awful lot of imports. combine that with the increase in electricity prices (due to increased exports!) and a lot of people's purchasing power has been seriously impacted. it may be that this makes businesses more profitable, but the structural issue remains that norwegian businesses have to operate in an environment where the petrochemical industry sets the standard.

my problem isn't necessarily that the NOK is weakening - that may be a necessary consequence of the world in which we live - but that nobody seems to have a good answer as to why and whether we can or ought to do anything about it other than keep clamping down on the money supply. i've looked around and can find no intelligent discussion of this basically anywhere - even the times i've picked up Dagens Næringsliv, the issue tends to remain on the level of "this is happening, these are the effects".

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

meanwhile if the state's projections are correct and TBU's are not, we're going to be seeing another year without a general wage increase and in many cases a wage cut, even after the first front strike in an interim negotiation since the goddamned war.

on that note someone needs to do an investigation into what the hell TBU are doing and what models they're using, because their estimates have been suspiciously low for the past several years

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The inscrutable Chinese don't have a Greta to tell them climate solutions are best left to the individual.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/udland/kineserne-tror-paa-klimaforandringerne-men-klimaanlaeggene-koerer-stadig-i-de

quote:

Langt de fleste kineserne er da også klar over, at klimaforandringerne sker nu og her, forklarer Philip Róin.

- I en undersøgelse fra marts sagde næsten ni ud af ti kinesere, at klimaforandringerne påvirker deres daglige liv. Og 73 procent mener, at klimakrisen er den største udfordring, vi står over for. Det er betragteligt mere end i Europa og USA.

Men at gøre noget for klimaet er et helt andet spørgsmål.

- Man har ikke en kinesisk Greta Thunberg. Det kinesiske styre tillader ikke den form for aktivisme i landet. Det er ligesom regeringen, der skal tage sig af det.

- At nedbringe sit eget energiforbrug, det er ikke noget, man som individ rigtigt behøver at tage sig af. Det er regeringen, der skal stå for det, forklarer Philip Róin.

Han bliver bakket op af Mathias Lund Larsen, der er ph.d-studerende på både Copenhagen Business School og Chinese Academy of Sciences og som har arbejdet med grøn energi i Kina.

- De ved, hvad forandringerne er, og de tror på dem. Men kineserne er mindre direkte klimabevidste, end man er i Danmark, forklarer han.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

The inscrutable Chinese don't have a Greta to tell them climate solutions are best left to the individual.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/udland/kineserne-tror-paa-klimaforandringerne-men-klimaanlaeggene-koerer-stadig-i-de

That will never work! No, what really works is me sorting the leftover steak into the compost bin. Now excuse me, I have to water my lawn

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

V. Illych L. posted:

well, yeah, except that norwegians, as previously noted, consume an awful lot of imports. combine that with the increase in electricity prices (due to increased exports!) and a lot of people's purchasing power has been seriously impacted. it may be that this makes businesses more profitable, but the structural issue remains that norwegian businesses have to operate in an environment where the petrochemical industry sets the standard.

my problem isn't necessarily that the NOK is weakening - that may be a necessary consequence of the world in which we live - but that nobody seems to have a good answer as to why and whether we can or ought to do anything about it other than keep clamping down on the money supply. i've looked around and can find no intelligent discussion of this basically anywhere - even the times i've picked up Dagens Næringsliv, the issue tends to remain on the level of "this is happening, these are the effects".

Yeah this is hosed, I'm not seeing anywhere remotely the kind of coverage I'd expect on this other than "oh, this is just the international worlds way of punishment for having taxes, this is all because how you treat rich people, how dare you tax salmon" etc.

I mean, it's not like economics has any kind of predictive value as a science but poo poo seems dramatic and well this would be economists time to shine? What's up? How do we fix this?

I am getting tired of constantly reduced purchasing power, why the gently caress be productive when you get hosed at salary negotiations year after year? I mean I'm supposed to negotiate wage as the local union rep this year, but my hands are loving tied to the mast of a sinking ship.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

The greatest scam since sugar producers convincing everyone that fat is more dangerous, is that the petrochemical multi-national corporations have managed to convince individuals think that individual effort is going to me a single bit of difference for addressing all the worlds pollution.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/8JLK3d/s-rasar-mot-vindomen-vill-radda-systembolaget-med-lagandring

I truly do not understand the reaction here

Though winefinder.se is chugging on my end so perhaps the sky IS falling

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

at this rate, my next seniority bump next year will just give me back the purchasing power I have right now at this exact moment, rather than an overall increased one :dance:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So according to the court the fuckin' cops can beat someone to a pulp, erase the evidence, alter the reports and get away with it. gently caress'em.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

They're trying to institute autarky.

But seriously, does it matter to the people in charge that people are losing purchasing power? I'm talking about the state, which presumably spends most of its money internally.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Sure, we're slow walking emissions reductions, and our government recently decided that since meeting targets for 2025 is increasingly unrealistic, those targets aren't relevant anyway, 2030 is what really counts.

But we're all aware of the climate crisis :smug:

Also that headline has some real "99.6% have a refrigerator" energy to it. Chinese people say they care about the environment, but did you know they have A/C in China?!?

Esran fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 7, 2023

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

quote:

- Man har ikke en kinesisk Greta Thunberg. Det kinesiske styre tillader ikke den form for aktivisme i landet. Det er ligesom regeringen, der skal tage sig af det.

- At nedbringe sit eget energiforbrug, det er ikke noget, man som individ rigtigt behøver at tage sig af. Det er regeringen, der skal stå for det, forklarer Philip Róin.

lmao, just unreal

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

SplitSoul posted:

quote:

- I en undersøgelse fra marts sagde næsten ni ud af ti kinesere, at klimaforandringerne påvirker deres daglige liv. Og 73 procent mener, at klimakrisen er den største udfordring, vi står over for. Det er betragteligt mere end i Europa og USA.

Men at gøre noget for klimaet er et helt andet spørgsmål.

And if the government really did do what's required, there'd probably be riots, because what's required is essentially an end to our modern way of life. There is no support for this anywhere. Well, maybe in the handful of countries (mostly in Africa) that actually have a sustainable lifestyle.

Now excuse me while I'm off to have lunch in Dubai, and then I'm gonna go shopping in London. I've only bought 25 kilos of clothes this year, so I'm way behind.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
I did my part for the planet, buying new cars isn't cheap you know!

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
If the world is to end, then it was all gods plan anyway. Who are we to fight god

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Gods are just cops.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They're trying to institute autarky.

But seriously, does it matter to the people in charge that people are losing purchasing power? I'm talking about the state, which presumably spends most of its money internally.

it certainly does seem to matter to the people who voted for the present government, if poll numbers are anything to go by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It matters in the sense that that's the goal.