Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

This really is in a heavily populated area. My friend had the windows of her apartment shattered by it

She's fine but I got sent a panicked video of pitch blackness (power went out) and the sound of a second explosion when it happened

Victis fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

poverty goat posted:

there have been headlines since the war started about prominent russians using back channels to negotiate peace. a lot of good it did so far

Abramovitch negotiated the mass exchange of Mariupol defenders, including Azov commanders

Dead forum user
Oct 1, 2021
On the one hand you have Russia terror bombing civilians.

On the other hand you have whiney concern trolls Human Rights Watch calling on the US not to give Ukraine cluster munitions because they might use it to bomb entrenched Russian soldiers: https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-russia-should-stop-using-cluster-bombs-human-rights-watch-says-2023-07-06/

What's with all these NGO's (Amnesty as well) having a massive hard on for dunking on a country that's desperately fighting off an authoritarian, borderline genocidal invader?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Dead forum user posted:

On the other hand you have whiney concern trolls Human Rights Watch calling on the US not to give Ukraine cluster munitions because they might use it to bomb entrenched Russian soldiers: https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-russia-should-stop-using-cluster-bombs-human-rights-watch-says-2023-07-06/

What's with all these NGO's (Amnesty as well) having a massive hard on for dunking on a country that's desperately fighting off an authoritarian, borderline genocidal invader?

Institutional tunnel vision. They've been advocating against "cluster bombs" for so long it's all they know. It's subsumed all analysis of the real world.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Dead forum user posted:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Free Thinker really should be in quotes

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Mental posted:

Free Thinker really should be in quotes

It does have a sheep head so I think taht does the job

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dead forum user posted:

Its unbending principle before reality. At least this time they didn't actively blame Ukraine for making Russia to use cluster munitions on civilian targets.

But yes, its really off-putting. One side is fighting against active and ongoing genocide and these people come in tut-tutting them for defending themselves with everything they have at their disposal. Especially in a situation where the enemy is using the same weapon against them without any attempt to limit its usage to military targets.

But some people are just that much of an idealistic idiots it basically achieves the exact same output than pearl-clutching concern trolling.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I wish we could send all these pearl clutching assholes to a trench on the front and let them see the necessity for themselves.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Also, in my experience a lot of NGOs and movements tend to focus their efforts and criticisms on countries and institutions that are more likely to listen (or be vulnerable to criticism) rather than 'waste' effort on countries that won't give the slightest poo poo, regardless of the magnitude of the crime.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tigey posted:

Also, in my experience a lot of NGOs and movements tend to focus their efforts and criticisms on countries and institutions that are more likely to listen (or be vulnerable to criticism) rather than 'waste' effort on countries that won't give the slightest poo poo, regardless of the magnitude of the crime.

got bad news for them if they think that a nation under existential threat of genocide will give a poo poo about what an ngo says if the munitions keep their country alive another week

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tigey posted:

In cases like this its also a clear decision to side with the Russians; they won't listen, so lets hinder the Ukrainian war effort.

...And that puts them to my list as another NGO I will never, ever give a single penny in the future.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

HonorableTB posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1676898413630177280?s=20

As long as Russia doesn't get to keep any Ukrainian lands, then fine. Negotiate away. Ukraine demands the restoration of its 1991 borders and any attempt to undermine that should be met with appropriate consequences
Negotiate a peace deal and then get Ukraine into NATO asap. Russia will probably want to make that key to "peace" to not offer them NATO membership, but fuuuuuck that.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I mean it's not a very rational criticism - cluster munitions were already in widespread use by both sides (far more by Russia as some posts a fair while ago explained, and they have submunitions that are very deliberately designed to look like toys). The time to complain about them being used was really long ago, and started in Feb 2022.

Cluster munitions basically come with scare quotes around them for many people, as an "evil weapon". And as the US is involved, it's very mentally comfortable for some people, as it lets them get back to the normal business of directing their criticism at the US, rather than Russia (which still feels weird for many).

It sucks but it's all part of the same hypocrisy this thread regularly rails against.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I don't know. I think asking the US not to give cluster munitions and asking Ukraine not to use cluster munitions is the right thing to do. I also think Ukraine is going to use whatever they possibly can get their hands on to try and kick out the temporary occupiers, and rightfully so. And judging Ukraine for doing whatever they can to defeat the Russian military doesn't help anyone. poo poo fuckin sucks, basically. And it is Russia's fault.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

El Jebus posted:

I don't know. I think asking the US not to give cluster munitions and asking Ukraine not to use cluster munitions is the right thing to do. I also think Ukraine is going to use whatever they possibly can get their hands on to try and kick out the temporary occupiers, and rightfully so. And judging Ukraine for doing whatever they can to defeat the Russian military doesn't help anyone. poo poo fuckin sucks, basically. And it is Russia's fault.

Well, they could in this case lobby for tightening the Russian economic sanctions, not only for limiting what weapons are given to Ukraine. But alas, they chose their side.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Ngo's often have a real "the ends justify the means" baked in that lets them justify awful behavior. You've probably been harrassed by the charity people trying to get money while walking down the street. Wonder how they get people to do that? The post ads promising an "internship at a nonprofit" without saying what you're doing, right before the start of college semesters. College students take them and then realize what they're actually doing but can't quit because they need an internship as a college requirement and can't get another one at that point. The managers involved will still go to their grave thinking they're perfect white saviors.

Burns
May 10, 2008

So out of curiosity which one of you is the Warlockracy youtuber? There are far too many SA references in his videos. The channel has videos of the old fallout games and several slav jank games like Stalker, with a certain historical context added as well. Odd place to ask but many of those videos have some small relevance to this war.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
I really don’t think it’s ideological alignment with Putin that’s driving these NGOs’ behavior. Organizations and individuals can be wrong for many stupid reasons other than “we too believe that the Ukraine is a fake and Nazi country.” (cf. Hanlon’s Razor)

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Tigey posted:

an understandable impulse (why waste our resources lobbying people who definitely won't listen), but still frustrating since it obviously plays into the efforts of said countries that won't give the slightest poo poo by giving the impression that they don't or it doesn't matter.

Tigey posted:

I mean it's not a very rational criticism - cluster munitions were already in widespread use by both sides (far more by Russia as some posts a fair while ago explained, and they have submunitions that are very deliberately designed to look like toys). The time to complain about them being used was really long ago, and started in Feb 2022.

Cluster munitions basically come with scare quotes around them for many people, as an "evil weapon". And as the US is involved, it's very mentally comfortable for some people, as it lets them get back to the normal business of directing their criticism at the US, rather than Russia (which still feels weird for many).

It sucks but it's all part of the same hypocrisy this thread regularly rails against.

:hai:

El Jebus posted:

This gets weird because you get into calculus about, like, how many innocents will unexploded ordinance from these cluster munitions kill vs how many will Russia kill in the longer-duration war that lack of availability of these weapons would cause. It's difficult to reason credibly about, apart from the easy outs you identified - cluster munitions are bad because UXO, and it's Russia's fault we're in this position.
Personally, in general, I think it's more favorable to deal with mine clearing operations in peacetime than skip that but get more attrition, but I can understand choosing otherwise. However, in this case, since Russia is pretty casual about using its cluster munitions, I think not sending ours doesn't get us out of anything, so if they're more effective for trench clearing than the other available stuff fuckin' have at it.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Der Kyhe posted:

Well, they could in this case lobby for tightening the Russian economic sanctions, not only for limiting what weapons are given to Ukraine. But alas, they chose their side.

I agree they could advocate for other things, too! They very clearly did choose their side, which is "please don't use cluster munitions".

tiaz posted:

This gets weird because you get into calculus about, like, how many innocents will unexploded ordinance from these cluster munitions kill vs how many will Russia kill in the longer-duration war that lack of availability of these weapons would cause. It's difficult to reason credibly about, apart from the easy outs you identified - cluster munitions are bad because UXO, and it's Russia's fault we're in this position.
Personally, in general, I think it's more favorable to deal with mine clearing operations in peacetime than skip that but get more attrition, but I can understand choosing otherwise. However, in this case, since Russia is pretty casual about using its cluster munitions, I think not sending ours doesn't get us out of anything, so if they're more effective for trench clearing than the other available stuff fuckin' have at it.

Yeah, it's a hard decision to make either way and I'm glad I don't have to make it. You can't really napkin math the choice of using cluster munitions when your opponent has been using and will continue to use them against you. And it doesn't help that Ukraine has *also* already used cluster munitions, so it isn't like they are suddenly gonna stop because you asked them nicely not to.

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 6, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

El Jebus posted:

I agree they could advocate for other things, too! They very clearly did choose their side, which is "please don't use cluster munitions".

... and by actively interfering with the Ukrainian capabilities to defend themselves while silently acknowledging that this means nothing to the Russians, its not a neutral stance by any means.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1677031958075916290
Don't you just love it when propagandists get forced to eat crow even because of misunderstandings?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1677031958075916290
Don't you just love it when propagandists get forced to eat crow even because of misunderstandings?

That sounds like a very blessed movie they're making :3:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

That sounds like a very blessed movie they're making :3:

I wonder....

https://twitter.com/Sprinter99880/status/1654959564595314691

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Doesn't this basically put Steven to the propaganda collaborator list similarly as what happened to Nigel Farage after he got money for being pundit for the RT networks?

If it does, he has decided to stay in Russia-leaning countries for the rest of his life.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
If you are fighting a defensive war against a genocidal imperialist power for your peoples' continued survival as an ethnic group with a distinct culture, history, and nation then it seems to reason that any conventional weapon used is an ethical weapon as you would not have needed to use it had you not been invaded, barring something like biological/chemical/nuclear warfare. When the alternative is the partition of your state and eradication of your culture in favor of Russification then by rights you ought to be allowed to defend yourself with anything you can get your hands on because it is the definition of an existential threat

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

Doesn't this basically put Steven to the propaganda collaborator list similarly as what happened to Nigel Farage after he got money for being pundit for the RT networks?

If it does, he has decided to stay in Russia-leaning countries for the rest of his life.

He was already part of some propaganda films that Russia made early in the war. Don't know how this would change anything.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

HonorableTB posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1676898413630177280?s=20

As long as Russia doesn't get to keep any Ukrainian lands, then fine. Negotiate away. Ukraine demands the restoration of its 1991 borders and any attempt to undermine that should be met with appropriate consequences

Of key note here is FORMER and SECRET being important.

Taking bets on what party these former advisors are from.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

spankmeister posted:

He was already part of some propaganda films that Russia made early in the war. Don't know how this would change anything.

I don't think they were hitting 3rd parties at that point yet, but yeah he isn't exactly a new to promoting for Putin.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Seated Military Operation

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

weg posted:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

weg posted:

I lold

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I wonder what some realistic terms are? International recognition that Russia owns the 4 eastern provinces and crimea, cancelling sanctions, guarantees that Ukraine does not enter nato, maybe also some reparations to Russia?

I love twitter tankies. Lmao at russia geting reparations considering everything they've done.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

weg posted:

:golfclap:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

weg posted:

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

El Jebus posted:

*quickly googles current events in Israel and Palestine*...

Oh god please no.

lol you needed to google jared kushner to see what a bad idea that was

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tai posted:

I wonder what some realistic terms are? International recognition that Russia owns the 4 eastern provinces and crimea, cancelling sanctions, guarantees that Ukraine does not enter nato, maybe also some reparations to Russia?

I love twitter tankies. Lmao at russia geting reparations considering everything they've done.

belgorod people's republic demands its independence from vassalage, let's go full Europa Universalis with it

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

CommieGIR posted:

Of key note here is FORMER and SECRET being important.

Taking bets on what party these former advisors are from.

Yeah it's a nothing article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
lavrov spotted