Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Zeg posted:

What am I looking at here?

5 people in the latest [redacted game] softcore season who have hit or are close to max level without doing a game mechanic, meaning that it is optional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Just got Symbiotic Warlord Gauntlets, would have been useful before hand, not sure if I can fit it in my build now.

Got Vasily's Prayer unique Earth Skills are now Werebear skills and Fortify for 6, Insatiable Fury unique Werebear form is now your true form and you gain +2 Ranks to Werebear skills, Ursine Horror imprinted for Pulverize is now also an Earth skill and after casting Pulverize tectonic spikes continue to deal 620 damage over 2 seconds, Skinwalker's when use a Shapeshifting skill that changes your form gain 218 life and if at full life gain the same amount as Fortify, no idea if Skinwalker's actually works with Insatiable Fury or not I haven't noticed, Quicksand for damage from Earth skills Slow enemies hit by 40% for 5 seconds, Aftershock for Landslide's earth pillars each strike a second time and deal an additional 16% bonus damage per hit, Ballistic for when you have Fortify your Earth skills gain +3 ranks, Trampled Earth for Trample now summons 6 Landslide pillars of earth during its duration that deal 72% normal damage and Trample is now also a Nature Magic and Earth skill, and Crashstone for Earth skills deal 33% more Critical Strike Damage to Crowd Controlled enemies.

Could probably switch out one of these for something else, just don't know if its worth it to grab a storm basic and switch from Earthen Might to Nature's Fury in the hope of reducing Trample's cooldown.

Current skills are Earth Spike, Pulverize for spending my Spirit, Landslide for Trampleslide and not really cast normally, Earthen Bulwark for some safety was getting Fortify for it but recently switched to the exploding bulwark, not sure which is more useful for me, Trample for the Trampleslide and some spirit though I could switch for Fortify, Grizzly Rage for more damage DR and Fortify, though a bit tempted to maybe switch it out for Debilitating Roar for more Fortify and either slow or heal. Currently Earthen Might in the hope of restoring spirit for more Pulverize, though Ursine Strength might be nice for more life and damage, or Nature's Fury if I did go for Symbiotic.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Loving this description of the "On The Warpath" emote:

"Show everyone you’re ready for battle when you slam your banner down, signaling to enemies that you’re ready for a fight"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

dyzzy posted:

5 people in the latest [redacted game] softcore season who have hit or are close to max level without doing a game mechanic, meaning that it is optional

The three most powerful skill nodes are only accessible by beating three increasingly difficult die-and-you-start-over click-to-move platforming poo poo. Build defining nodes. Literally no one would consider them optional.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Scoss posted:

I don't know if they explicitly said that they were not planning on keeping the malignant heart whatever stuff past season 1 or if that was just something that people are intuiting, but I think it would be a big mistake for them to design season content without intent to retain the successful mechanics permanently. PoE's myriad problems with new player retention go far beyond how seasonal mechanics are presented and D4 need not step in the same exact potholes if they try to make content permanent as well.
It's explicitly spelled out on the website. When seasonal characters return to the Eternal realm, they will be doing so without the seasonal crap:

"Once the Season has ended, the character you made and its progress will be transferred to the Eternal Realm. All items you collected, including in your Seasonal stash, will be transferred too. You can take this character into Sanctuary whenever you please, but Season-specific features such as Malignant Hearts will no longer be accessible."

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

HKR posted:

didn't they say a patch was coming out today as well? When will we see info for that?

They did and there’s no info out about it as of yet other than that hilarious bit about helltide chests soon to be able to drop uniques.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Tiny Chalupa posted:

edit: Is there not a way to have the Chest and clickable stuff on the ground (containers) like....have their names appear over them w/ out hovering over them? Like, all items on the ground always show sorta thing?
Because I cannot find that

There’s a setting. I think it’s set to hold alt to reveal by default, but now I hit alt once and the names stay up.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

wuffles posted:

They did and there’s no info out about it as of yet other than that hilarious bit about helltide chests soon to be able to drop uniques.

wth I swear I remember getting a unique from a mystery chest

My mind must be playing tricks

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Mikojan posted:

My mind must be playing tricks

I make big money I drive big cars

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

wuffles posted:

dont worry they will be doing a 5 hour dev stream soon where they drip feed vague details about the patch over the course of it

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Scoss posted:

I don't know if they explicitly said that they were not planning on keeping the malignant heart whatever stuff past season 1 or if that was just something that people are intuiting, but I think it would be a big mistake for them to design season content without intent to retain the successful mechanics permanently. PoE's myriad problems with new player retention go far beyond how seasonal mechanics are presented and D4 need not step in the same exact potholes if they try to make content permanent as well.

I'm paraphrasing but they basically said rather than every new mechanic moving from Seasonal to Eternal by default, they will instead evaluate case by case with an explicit goal being to not overcomplicate the base game

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
it wasn't even close to halloween

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Aexo posted:

Loving this description of the "On The Warpath" emote:

"Show everyone you’re ready for battle when you slam your banner down, signaling to enemies that you’re ready for a fight"
This emote brought to you by renowned author Dan Brown, writer of books.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

HKR posted:

didn't they say a patch was coming out today as well? When will we see info for that?

The launcher says the maintenance window is from 2-5 PM pacific.

Tonetta posted:

yeah I recognize it was always pure copium. my logic behind it was there is a huge gap between when ancestral gear starts dropping, and lilleth, where you're really just farming xp for 20-25 levels, which also accounts for like 70% or so of the total xp required to 100. it just doesn't make sense for the final tier of upgrading to have a band that large, unless you plan on adding on another tier of loot relatively quickly.

This is actually cool and good because it's exactly how Diablo 2 did it and everybody loves Diablo 2 :rolleyes:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

zoux posted:

The three most powerful skill nodes are only accessible by beating three increasingly difficult die-and-you-start-over click-to-move platforming poo poo. Build defining nodes. Literally no one would consider them optional.

Four, and nowhere does the game force you to click that portal so you're gonna have to pick a different word because that's optional

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Tarnop posted:

I'm paraphrasing but they basically said rather than every new mechanic moving from Seasonal to Eternal by default, they will instead evaluate case by case with an explicit goal being to not overcomplicate the base game

Seems like they have left open some wiggle room for themselves. Not even PoE makes every seasonal mechanic permanent by default. Many of them end up being stinkers that cannot live beyond their time at all (maybe stripped for parts, with the enemies and some specific rewards recycled into other parts of the game), and even the "successful" ones take 3-6+ months of extra work to sort of pare them down into a more long-term stable form that doesn't completely warp the game and overshadow whatever the current season is doing.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 6, 2023

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

zoux posted:

PoE has platforming segments????

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

DLC Inc posted:

It has tedious trap-based dungeons that are profoundly unsuited to the control scheme

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
If 'standing here is bad for you' zones are called platforming, sure

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

It's the best approximation. You have to dodge traps and do a lot of precise movement to avoid things, it's extraordinarily frustrating and it's insane that critical build components are gated behind it. It's honestly why I stopped playing PoE, I hate labs and knowing you're going to have to do it for each alt just killed my motivation.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

<<< The PoE thread is that way.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

DLC Inc posted:

Not literally platforming but kind of, it can require you to pay very close attention to how you're moving and not loving around with environmental hazards unless you're overleveled.

Labyrinth is the worst, oldest content in the game and because GGG is incredibly smart they made it mandatory to clear it 4 times per character in order to fully unlock your subclass kit.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

nah not really, just traps on the ground. standard don't stand in the bad stuff gameplay

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Scoss posted:

Not literally platforming but kind of, it can require you to pay very close attention to how you're moving and not loving around with environmental hazards unless you're overleveled.

Labyrinth is the worst, oldest content in the game and because GGG is incredibly smart they made it mandatory to clear it 4 times per character in order to fully unlock your subclass kit.

No, it is optional.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

welcome to diablo 4 season 1: the season where i still cannot personally kill an angel in this game (failseason)

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Ah, the goalposts have moved I see. Classic

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

bio347 posted:

It's explicitly spelled out on the website. When seasonal characters return to the Eternal realm, they will be doing so without the seasonal crap:

"Once the Season has ended, the character you made and its progress will be transferred to the Eternal Realm. All items you collected, including in your Seasonal stash, will be transferred too. You can take this character into Sanctuary whenever you please, but Season-specific features such as Malignant Hearts will no longer be accessible."
There's some ambiguity in that quote (or else I'm a bad reader).

I'd like to think that f we've got items with socketed malignant hearts, or a stash of malignant hearts, that we get to keep those, but we'll never get any new hearts from that point forward. In terms of both fun and motivating seasonal participation, that would be great.

They don't mean that the hearts we have will disappear, right?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
lol blizzard giving out the seaweed horse for prime. the worst horse

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Hell Yeah posted:

welcome to diablo 4 season 1: the season where i still cannot personally kill an angel in this game (failseason)
Also, are they using the hell tileset for anything seasonal, or is that another fail?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ersatz posted:

I'd like to think that f we've got items with socketed malignant hearts, or a stash of malignant hearts, that we get to keep those, but we'll never get any new hearts from that point forward. In terms of both fun and motivating seasonal participation, that would be great.

You will never again touch eternal realm once seasons start.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

was the KFC tie in stuff cool looking? obviously not cool enough to go to KFC

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

zoux posted:

You will never again touch eternal realm once seasons start.
Haha, probably not, but it would still be neat for my original characters to get to use whatever poo poo survives.

But toward your point, will there be no gap between seasons moving forward?

Also, random question: will the paragon points for maxing regional renown on an eternal character transfer to seasonal characters? I know renown progress for those tiers won't, but seems like the points will?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
There would be no point to renown if they just gave you the max tier reward...?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

speaking of platforming I was foolishly hoping for some animations to update for the Evasion. Rogue gets a bunch of cool flourishes and everyone else just takes a big Tim Robinson-esque step forward. The one thing I miss about D3 was that they had better dodge animations lol. Give the Barbarian a fatroll and some kind of pirouette to the Sorc.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

So what happens when I find a shako with an infested socket and then at the end of the season I get hit with the "but Season-specific features such as Malignant Hearts will no longer be accessible."?

Do I lose the Shako?

A+++ game design.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Infested sockets are only on jewelry so your Harlequin Crest is safe.

Ersatz posted:

In Diablo 3 the seasonal exclusive items would vanish entirely. Your character would be missing gear and your inventory would look like swiss cheese. I expect D4 to work the same way. If they're smart they could convert these infested sockets to normal sockets and let you keep the item itself without the heart.

hawowanlawow posted:

was the KFC tie in stuff cool looking? obviously not cool enough to go to KFC

Nope

There is also a horse and horse armor set available this month from Prime Gaming if you're subscribed to Amazon Prime

Ersatz posted:

But toward your point, will there be no gap between seasons moving forward?

Also, random question: will the paragon points for maxing regional renown on an eternal character transfer to seasonal characters? I know renown progress for those tiers won't, but seems like the points will?

Standard is for there to be a gap between seasons of a few weeks with the major balance patch released in the interim. This lets the playerbase expose any glaring oversights before seasonal competition starts.

From what they've said, the renown rewards do not carry over with the exception of Altars and map reveal progress. We're all going to have to do a bunch of quests and dungeons to get those skill and paragon points from the 4th and 5th unlocks.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Astryl posted:

So what happens when I find a shako with an infested socket and then at the end of the season I get hit with the "but Season-specific features such as Malignant Hearts will no longer be accessible."?

Do I lose the Shako?

A+++ game design.

You'll never find a Shako in the first place, no worries.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Unless it happens by accident from doing dungeons and strongholds I'm not redoing renown. Just count me down the 5 skill points and 20 paragon now.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Astryl posted:

Do I lose the Shako?

A+++ game design.

At this rate it'll be a problem that tens of people will experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SettingSun posted:

Unless it happens by accident from doing dungeons and strongholds I'm not redoing renown. Just count me down the 5 skill points and 20 paragon now.

It’s just a sliver for the third tier and +5 points, couple of dungeons maybe