Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Maximum comedy option: Threads did hire people who had a non-compete, but it's unenforcable because Elon didn't pay them their severance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Gorgar posted:

Post some actual content from threads so those of us without accounts can laugh at it

use your imagination to think about what Wendys would thread

cracker
May 12, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Profanity posted:

That was Succession. Wouldn't surprise me if Elmo watched that show and furiously took notes, thinking everyone depicted were meant to be genius titans of the industry.

It was in several shows. Definitely sopranos, I think breaking bad and some other shows too. Pretty common plot

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

Maximum comedy option: Threads did hire people who had a non-compete, but it's unenforcable because Elon didn't pay them their severance.

elon then hires legal genius rudy giuliani to litigate, based on his outstanding service in the manuel noriega 'call of duty' case in 2014

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 6, 2023

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Non-competes are nigh unenforceable anyway.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

The Last Call posted:

Some voices more than others, get a louder voice with blue!

I feel icky just reading that pandering buzzword crap, who talks like that? Is this what happens to you when you get to a management position? because gross

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Steadiman posted:

I feel icky just reading that pandering buzzword crap, who talks like that? Is this what happens to you when you get to a management position? because gross

that’s just what it looks like when you’re born to lead :colbert:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Zuck is a SCRAPER?!?!?!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Steadiman posted:

The elites aren't human

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m genuinely curious how you cheat in this case. Like does he think he can intimidate another rich dude

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

redshirt posted:

Zuck is a SCRAPER?!?!?!

Of course, does he look like a virgin API consumer!? (he does)

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

Non-competes are nigh unenforceable anyway.

I know, but it'd still be funny.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Lmao the European space agency just @ed Zuckerberg asking if he wanted to make rockets next on thread

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

emSparkly posted:

I mean I don't like immediately disbelieving sex workers when it comes to matters of crappy internet platforms screwing them over as they are wont to do. If this happens to anyone else I'll take it as a real condemnation of threads.

Its happened to people i know who used stage names on their personal page.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
It would be in line with some other weird Facebook policies, like they don't allow business pages on FB without them being linked to a personal account.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

OneEightHundred posted:

It would be in line with some other weird Facebook policies, like they don't allow business pages on FB without them being linked to a personal account.

even on proper facebook, where they want real names only, they don't just go look it up themselves they make you send in ID to prove your name if there's a question

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

How the gently caress is it cheating to make another web service?

Elon was that kid when you're 10 playing games who keeps making up rules for himself isn't he?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

TulliusCicero posted:

Elon was that kid when you're 10 playing games who keeps making up rules for himself isn't he?

No rules court fighting

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

TulliusCicero posted:

"""""cheating"""""

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

KakerMix posted:

"""""cheating"""""

(((cheating))) Zuckerberg

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

kiwid posted:

I just downloaded Threads... what the gently caress is Instagram?

A way of funneling personal information to the Meta corporation in exchange for the ability to create content for the Meta corporation.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

He was trained in no rules street fighting.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MunchE posted:

even on proper facebook, where they want real names only, they don't just go look it up themselves they make you send in ID to prove your name if there's a question

My friend had an obvious fake name and they temp banned him until he sent in a pic of an ID which is a stupid policy but i think if Facebook was just randomly scraping names and forcibly changing the display names not only would it have been newsworthy but being Facebook they definitely would have hosed up and changed a bunch of peoples names to not their names at all which would also be newsworthy

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
:byodood: "no cheating!" -- guy who had to finish his purchase of Twitter via court order

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

jajajajaja *laughts in spanish*

What Twitter does is nothing original, or unique of the service. Is a website that offer microblogging, with a recomendation algorithm, build on top of qlquery (or whatever is called). Theres nothing to steal, except the experience of buildings sites at that scale, that is a knowledge a group of individuals have, many of them abandoned the office when Elon fired them.

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 6, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tei posted:

jajajajaja *laughts in spanish*

What Twitter does is nothing original, or unique of the service. Is a website that offer microblogging, with a recomendation algorithm, build on top of qlquery (or whatever is called). Theres nothing to steal, except the experience of buildings sites at that scale, that is a knowledge a group of individuals have, many of them abandoned the office when Elon fired them.

It has the unique value of being owned and run by world's foremost meme master and mama's most special boy Elon Musk

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023
I might not understand this correctly but I think companies protect trade secrets by keeping them secret and using contacts to compel employees and former employees not to disclose them, in contrast to a patent, where the company discloses the secret and governments prevent other companies from using them for a period of time. If an ex-Twitter employee tells Zuck all of Musk's secrets and Musk finds out somehow, he could certainly sue the employee. In that case Musk could also sue to prevent Threads from using that secret because it was wrongfully acquired/disclosed.

However, it sounds like no Twitter people were working on Threads, so if Musk just assumed that secrets got stolen because Threads is similar to Twitter (it's so conceptually straightforward it would have to be similar in many ways) rather than because he has some real evidence of it I hope Meta countersues him into oblivion.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
The trade secrets ex employees could divulge are going to be things like: “don’t have a paid tier, that didn’t work” and “rate-limiting hurts traffic”, things of that nature.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Wouldn't he have to sue BlueSky and Mastodon too if the only real argument he has is that they copied Twitter's thing? Although now that he's upped the character count does Twitter even have a unique thing? It's basically LiveJournal now with different formatting

Lick Joe
Sep 30, 2000
Forum Veteran
oh no the zuck has stolen our most salient lines of code

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023

Steadiman posted:

Wouldn't he have to sue BlueSky and Mastodon too if the only real argument he has is that they copied Twitter's thing? Although now that he's upped the character count does Twitter even have a unique thing? It's basically LiveJournal now with different formatting

I think we're all assuming he's just being anticompetitive but maybe his legal department (if he didn't fire all of them) dug up some ex-employees' LinkedIn accounts and saw specifically that they went to Meta.

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008
If I owned Twitter and could make insane decrees to my legion of coders, I'd implement a system where you can spend money to vandalize other profiles: change their profile images, their display name, even add or remove frivolous badges. $10 for every change.

For a one-time $10 purchase you can remove ads indefinitely.

I feel this novel approach would be very popular. Or at least funny.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Steadiman posted:

Here's a copy of the letter Twitter sent
https://cdn.sanity.io/files/ifn0l6bs/production/27109f01431939c8177d408d3c9848c3b46632cd.pdf

They are alleging that Meta hired former Twitter employees specifically to make a Twitter clone. Also, Meta is scraping Twitter data and poo poo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Zucc knows the best way to endear yourself to humanity is to be rude to its enemies

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

kazil posted:

Here's a copy of the letter Twitter sent
https://cdn.sanity.io/files/ifn0l6bs/production/27109f01431939c8177d408d3c9848c3b46632cd.pdf

They are alleging that Meta hired former Twitter employees specifically to make a Twitter clone. Also, Meta is scraping Twitter data and poo poo.

Zuckerberg could win this by stating 'we're not like Twitter, we're actually up for two days now.'

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I can’t imagine there is a lawsuit that Meta’s legal team is better prepared for than “defend against accusation we ripped off another tech company’s product”.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1677061355281563648?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Fobby posted:

I think we're all assuming he's just being anticompetitive but maybe his legal department (if he didn't fire all of them) dug up some ex-employees' LinkedIn accounts and saw specifically that they went to Meta.

It was alleged in an earlier article linked here that no ex-twitter employees worked on the threads team. There is likely ex-twitter employees at meta in other projects but at this point every tech company probably has ex-twitter employees. I think the lawyer is bluffing and thinks showing some of the many, many people they fired is employed by meta is enough to build a case around.

It's a very desperate play that is unlikely to go anywhere. I feel that even if the entire threads team was ex-twitter that they'd still have a hard time getting traction.