Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Chaos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

gently caress them succulents

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

fuc the succ

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

biosterous posted:

fuc the succ

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Invoke Chaos unless that’s something highly likely to end the run, in which case Betray Succulents

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Invoke Chaos (non-specific spoilers) makes everyone involved unhappy with you with one exception, and that exception doesn't pay off unless you manage to discover and exploit an incredibly obscure post-game secret. Making use of this secret also requires at least one dram of neutron flux and two or more for best results, which is one of the reasons I always scrutinize the Bey Lah outcomes for that potential reward.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Betray Succulents

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Invoke Chaos (non-specific spoilers) makes everyone involved unhappy with you with one exception, and that exception doesn't pay off unless you manage to discover and exploit an incredibly obscure post-game secret. Making use of this secret also requires at least one dram of neutron flux and two or more for best results, which is one of the reasons I always scrutinize the Bey Lah outcomes for that potential reward.

I believe one funny, if niche, corollary of this is that the Highly Entropic Beings rep actually can be kinda useful in the edge case that you have the Evil Twin drawback. While evil twins are always hostile when they spawn, they're aligned with Highly Entropic Beings, so being at green reputation with them means you can simply Hit Da Bricks when a twin spawns and then come back later and hang out with your Morally Neutral Twin once they've calmed down

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
It's neck and neck right now, 8 votes for ChAoS and 7 votes to betray succulents (and 1 to betray wardens, which in the case of a tie I will interpret as supporting betrayal in general). Which is stronger: the thread's hated of succulents, or it's love of absolute chaos? There's still a few hours until I get off from work to cast the deciding votes.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

betray succulents

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You don't use neutron flux to do the water ritual with that NPC anymore. You use it to get into the area, but you use Warm Static for the ritual now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

mdct posted:

You don't use neutron flux to do the water ritual with that NPC anymore. You use it to get into the area, but you use Warm Static for the ritual now.

Oh, that's helpful then. Still not easy to come by but at least a little bit less of a conflict with certain other endgame quests.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
chaos

I like plants.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
We aren't Jack Garland, I say invoke Chaos because I have no idea what it'll do.

e: Unless that would gently caress up the run real badly, in which case betray the plants.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Fucc.
The.
Succ.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
stab them in their succulent backs

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

biosterous posted:

fuc the succ

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Betray succulents to the Flower-Earl.

It's an internal plant matter that we are simply taking advantage of.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Voting is closed. 12 to 10, the succulents will rue the day they placed their trust in us.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
When I killed the Ape God I was a punchkin so we had an extremely epic anime battle

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

verbal enema posted:

When I killed the Ape God I was a punchkin so we had an extremely epic anime battle

I’ve been thinking it over and I’ll probably kill him in more of a “villain from a children’s movie about environmentalism” way

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Snake Maze posted:

I’ve been thinking it over and I’ll probably kill him in more of a “villain from a children’s movie about environmentalism” way

Flamethrower + Fugue

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

verbal enema posted:

Flamethrower + Fugue

:hai:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

It's time.

The succulents are aghast. Deathsleep Stabtail, the hero who defeated that horrible cult... how could he do such a thing??

The villagers of Kimish absolutely love us now. They're with us for life.

The succulents, though... they'll remember this.

And the Barathrumites have the permission they need for their investigation into the Spindle.

We take a look at the dagger that's been passed down in Kimish for generations.

:oh:

It's... alright. It's a fullerite dagger, which is one tier lower than our crysteel daggers. It has a really big bonus to accuracy, but that's it? This might be the least interesting heirloom I've ever gotten.

We use it anyway, in honor of our friends in Kimish. At least until we find something better.

Still, pulling off a successful negotiation like that deserves a celebration. We take a shot of the fancy drink we bought last time.

It's pretty strong! We get confused, and when it wears off...

we feel like there's a lot more we could be doing.

Brain brine has a number of possible effects that it can have. Most of them are pretty good - in addition to our massive pile of skill points, it's also possible to get 2-3 int or will, or even a free mental mutation. There's also a small chance you'll gain a new mental defect though, so it's a bit of a gamble.

And no matter what outcome you get, you always lose one ego permanently. Drink in moderation!

I spend our new skill points picking up the first few heavy weapon skills, and maxing out the dual wield tree.

Heavy weapons usually drop your movespeed a lot, which is bad in general and even worse for a melee fighter like us, but tank lets us ignore that and move at full speed. Strapping Shoulders just reduces the weight of the weapon while it's equipped, which is much less important (we already have a big carry capacity), but it's a prerequisite for tank so we have to take it.

I thought buying tank would have to wait a few more levels, but since we have it now I go ahead and equip the flamethrower. It occupies the back slot in addition to both ranged weapon slots, so we have to put the fume flier away, but I think it'll be worth it.

Time to tell Otho the good news!

: That is sterling news, journeyfriend. I'll go inform Barathrum straightaway. (I forgot to screenshot this line)

Great! It looks like we have some more time to kill while he talks to Barathrum, so I'll just-

Uh oh.

We run back north and talk to Ereshkigal.

Oh gently caress! I knew we shouldn't have messed with the Succulents!

It's time for A Call to Arms. This isn't a trick - the stakes are real. Grit gate is under attack, and the Putus Templar will try to kill any Barathrumites they can get their hands on. It's up to us to hold them off.

After talking with Ereshkigal she'll mark two circles on your map showing where the attack will come from. There's a couple different locations they can show up. We got the top right and bottom left, which are both individually pretty good, but the fact they're as far apart as possible makes me nervous.

The upper right is usually a good chokepoint, with the narrow hallway to the south. I think the plan will be to drop sleep gas and activate turrets up there, fight in the southwest myself when they arrive, and then hope that the Putus were stalled in the north long enough to get there before anyone dies.

We pass Dardi as we head east. It's easy to miss but everyone has unique dialog before the attack.

In the med bay we find Hortensa and Aloysius.

We go to activate the turrets south of the arrival point. They have a pretty good position to hold the chokepoint against any Templars who try heading south.

Activating a single turret uses up about 50 power - if we activate four of them that'll be all we can afford.

We turn on both of them down here, then head north to prep the arrival area.

The turret here I don't expect too much from. A lot of the time the Templars will just hit it with an emp grenade before it can even get an attack off. Still, if they do it that means one less emp grenade for the other turrets, and even a couple turns spent killing this turret could make a difference.

We start spraying sleep gas and head south. It will have dispersed a lot by the time they show up, but hopefully enough will linger to slow them down a bit.

Mafeo, Iseppa, and Neek are all in the bedrooms down south of the junction with the turrets. It's nighttime now, so most of the Barathrumites were sleeping when the attack came.

Neek... :smith:

We drop more sleep gas on our way back out, both to slow the Putus and hopefully keep the Barathrumites in their rooms and away from the fighting.

Q-Girl and Sparafucile are both in the main room in the center. We pass by on our way to the other corner.

Shem-1 is near the main gate. I'd stay away from the library for now, buddy.

We head towards the last turret, hoping to activate it and drop some sleep gas under the Templar's arrival area on this end.

But we're out of time.

There are two Templar in sight here, probably more around the corner. Dardi is right there and I'd rather not let them attack him.

A lot of things happen in one turn.
  • We activate temporal fugue
  • One of the templar throws a resonance grenade, doing light damage and destroying some walls
  • One of our clones kills one of the templars with their flamethrower
  • We get set on fire as well by the splash

Killing the squire right away is good. Usually those guys will activate their phylactery, which summons a holographic Templar legendary, who is invincible but still able to attack us, but he died before he got the chance.

The fire is a little annoying but we don't have time to put it out. We try to move closer to the templar.

One of them throws an explosive grenade, pushing us back.

We charge in and kill one, while our clone kills the other.

We look around but it seems like that's all of them over here. That's bad, because it means their main force dropped at the other end.

We use sleep gas to knock out Dardi (Sorry! It's for your own good!) and start sprinting toward the other corner.

We don't have proper vision yet, but we can see that a lot of walls are missing, so the other templar must have also had resonance grenades. This is really bad - the northeast spawn point is only good when it can funnel them through the chokepoints.

We finally turn the corner and see part of the northern group.

We charge and kill the regular templar instantly. Behind him is the leader of the attack force. He's already missing 80 health - he must have been fighting someone...

He's pretty good with a shield, able to knock us down with a shield bash and having a chance to stun us every time he blocks.

But we just do too much damage for him to stand a chance.

Is there anyone else?

As we step forward we suddenly get yanked to the east. This guy must have a hypertractor, a gun that pulls things towards you but doesn't do damage.

Which is not the best option for fighting us.

The fight's over, but it went pretty badly. This northern group got a lot of time to run rampant.

We go to tell Otho how things went.

We chat with the bears we pass by.

Let's see what the damage is.

gently caress. A deathless defense is pretty tough if you don't metagame it, but four dead is a lot. I was hopeful that having sleep gas would let prevent any deaths, but those spawn points made it really hard for this build.

Time to meet the boss himself.

He has a unique book next to his bed that only appears here.

But it seems like it only has sentimental value.

The Barathrumites are done asking us to prove ourselves. From here on out, we'll be fully in the loop.

Grit Gate won't be the same, but we have our next mission - find Pax Klanq, and recruit his help in building a climber to ascend the Spindle.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
loving RIP bears

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mafeo :smith:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Portable walls are your friends for this quest. While it wouldn't have helped in the top-right corner in this instance - they don't always start with resonance grenades - you can delay the templars for quite a while with them. In my most recent playthrough, I (on roleplay mode) save-scummed this quest a couple times and with the proper setup (mostly with the walls keeping them from making their way to the rest of the complext) managed to get a completely harmless attack. No one died, no damage done.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Jesus, three bears and Shem -1. gently caress :smith:

e: the funniest Grit Gate defence I ever ran was probably the one where I lucked into truly absurd Warden rep, ritual-recruited just about all of the unique ones, and opportunistically upgraded their gear with random improvements as I came across them. I told them all to wait at the front entrance to Grit Gate, which just happened to be the entry point the Putus chose for their smaller team. I had a bit of a rough time handling the main force by myself, but when I finished up and ran back, I found my Warden buddies absolutely wiping the floor with the few remaining fascists. I suppose it's no surprise given that I went out of my way to fill their equipment slots with the best jungle-or-better tier junk that indiscriminate violence could buy, but it was still really satisfying to see.

But Shem -1 still managed to get murdled. RIP Shem -1. Lil buddy just loves to die :smith:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 7, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I am preparing to do some utter Shenanigans for my grit gate defense in my current playthrough, I went to chavvah early and along the way lucked into a very... timely item that should help.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
I'm inspired. Next defense, I'm going to:

• cheese up a bunch of portable walls
  • bring along a warden squad
  • get clairvoyance (it's somewhere near accessible in my brain brine / buy mutation seed)
  • have telepathy from the still crystal chime
  • command the wardens remotely on 1 front, using clairvoyance
  • handle the other front personally with fugue clones

I guess there's an option to go extra-walls against one side and command the warden squad in person.

I want to screenshot / document a flawless victory against the Putus Templar.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Before we head for the Rainbow woods, we'll take care of some smaller matters.

First, we should clean up Grit Gate a bit, and see if anyone has any advice.

We've picked up a bunch of artifacts already. Most of them are just high-tier grenades, but there's a couple more interesting finds.

One is a Templar Phylactery, the item we managed to stop the squire from using during the fight. We can use it as well, if we want, to summon an invincible Putus hologram. But it's still a Putus Templar and doesn't care if we're the ones who turned it on - it'll try to kill us on sight.

6 bits are pretty rare, so it's much more useful like this.

We also find a hypertractor, which could be fun for a melee setup. It also disassembles into some rare bits if we ever need them.

Aloysius is not a friend to fungi.

Amusingly enough, this step isn't actually required*. Unlike the instructions for the Baetyl in Bethesda Susa, you can still give Q-Girl's blueprints to Pax Klanq even if you never picked them up.

*Or at least that's how it worked last time I forgot to do it. It could have been fixed by now, skip the blueprints at your own risk

Sludges are the main enemy type in the rainbow woods, and they can be pretty rough if they manage to swarm you - getting in and out fast makes the trip much safer.

There's some more random loot lying around, and we're able to butcher the head Templar to get his implants.

Done with Grit Gate for now, we head west towards the Stilt.

Just east of it are the asphalt mines.

There's usually not too much of interest here - just some crabs, boars, and lots of asphalt.

The clones are very irresponsible with their flamethrowers and set the asphalt pool on fire.

Underground we see what we came for. It's mostly asphalt down here too, but there's the occasional pool of oil.

Before:

After:

This should be enough to keep the flamethrower running for a while.

Alright. Time for round two.

The problem last time was we didn't have any way to do enough damage outside of melee, and Oboroqoru is really dangerous in melee. But with sleep gas we can keep him away pretty much indefinitely, so as long as we have a good ranged option the fight should go much differently.

The squad goes wild.

Clones are, as always, not terribly concerned about friendly fire.

But the Ape God is having a much worse time than we are.

By the time the clones disappear, the fight is already basically over. Oboroqoru still has 400 health left, sure - but flaming enemies will spend their turn trying to extinguish themselves instead of moving or attacking, and even alone our flamethrower will heat him up faster than he can extinguish himself.

It is a pretty slow process. Checking the wiki after the fact he actually has 75 heat resist, which would explain why even after all the time this burn damage hasn't gotten past 1 per turn.

Also, every time we pull the trigger on the flamethrower we heat ourselves us slightly as well. Not by much, but it adds up when you're dumping multiple tanks of fuel.

Not long now though.

We're burning ourselves to death at the same time. I think this is maybe a metaphor for something?

Ah, nice and cool.

:toot:

With that, the Ape God is finally dead.

Yes, he was a kind and serene god beloved by many, but he also told bawdy jokes to the girsh that one time, so it's impossible to say if killing him was good or bad.

If we had killed him in a way that leaves a corpse he would have dropped his fists, an extremely powerful unique cudgel. Oh well!

We stop by Ezra to sell off some of the loot from the Grit Gate defense. He has a couple interesting items for sale.

The boots are great - one more AV and DV than our current ones. We lose the bonus stats, and the resistances are evenly distributed instead of all going in to cold, but that's fine.

I also buy the $1,500 mysterious artifact. Sixshrew isn't a tinker so we can't pay him to identify items, so it's a gamble whether it'll be something good or bad, but we have enough money to check it out.

:hmmyes:

Nice! A point defense drone occupies the floating nearby slot, and will attempt to shoot down incoming projectiles. It can't shoot down bullets or lasers, but it can shoot down grenades and rockets. Since explosions ignore AV and DV, this is one of the very few items that can help protect you from them. We're currently using our floating nearby slot on a floating glowsphere, so we'd need an alternate source of light before we can use it, but this can be a great defensive item for the lategame.

He also has this for sale, which is a cool gun but useless for our build. It uses blood for ammo, its projectiles are mental attacks that scale with your ego, and it can't be removed once equipped. The interesting thing is that we can tell what it is, usually it just shows up as a "mysterious organ" until you identify it. I think our bioscanning bracelet actually identifies it on sight for us.

After this we head back to the Six Day Stilt and check out the merchants over there, who turn out to have some pretty good stuff.

The Annals of Qud are a consumable item you can use to retroactively rewrite history and give yourself favor with the specified faction. Chapter Unspecified ones can be used to get rep with the faction of your choice. It's great if there's a faction that's just shy of a reputation breakpoint you want to hit.

Lanterned is a helmet mod that makes them give off light. It's simple enough that even we can do it, and it'll free up our floating nearby slot for that point defense drone we just found.

You can see our collection of bits over on the right. The bits required to apply a mod will depend on the mod being applied, the base item being modified, and how many mods the item already has. Since crysteel items are pretty high tier we need to use up one of our 6 bits for this.

The light a lanterned helmet gives off scales with the tier of the helmet itself. For regular crysteel like this the radius is one tile smaller than the floating glowsphere we had before, but it's worth it for the point-defense drone.

After that's done we head towards a village in the south. We have some unfinished business to take care of...

Hope the tinker hasn't forgotten about us.

We've finally finished our first quest!

Hmm. No thanks.

One last place to check out before we're done.

We learned the location of another jungle historic site while exploring the last one. Let's see what enemies it spawned with.

Wait, is that...? No way. No, you're kidding.

It's the same cult!

Lol. Lmao, even. These poor guys.

There was exactly one dangerous spot in the site.

An elite seeker confused us, and then a normal one sundered our mind. Being confused lowers our mental armor, which was already really weak, so the sunder was hitting for ~25 damage per turn. We have just over 200 max hp now, so that's serious damage even for us. On top of that, being confused means we can't throw the geomagnetic disk accurately, so we can't kill the seeker easily like we normally would.

We head south to break the sunder, but after getting a few steps in another normal seeker shows up and starts sundering us.

We're currently down to about 100 hp, so even sprinting to the map is pushing it. We can't use healing items since our inventory is shuffled, either.

Fortunately, summoning the clones and blind firing in the seeker's general direction is enough to save the day.

Aside from that combo attack, the site went about how you'd expect. We've gained a bunch of levels and skills since we fought these guys last, and our gear is much stronger across the board.

Wait the consortium liked that guy? Lame.

The biggest difference from last time is that this site is actually pretty empty? There's barely any enemies, we only fought that one legendary on this floor.

And the next floor didn't have any!

The succulents reluctantly admit that you gotta hand it to him.

Another one-legendary floor.

Another guy loved by the consortium, that sucks.

Wristblades are fun. They max out at folded carbide, so they're weaker compared to our other daggers, but they go in an arm slot rather than a hand. If we found enough we could wield 8 daggers instead of just 4.

Hologram bracelets are pretty cool too - they use up batteries fast, but can make an intangible hologram of you that will draw attacks from enemies. Enemies love attacking the hologram and don't realize it's fake even after attacking it, so it can save your life in a situation where you'd otherwise be totally dead.

And with that, the site is done! White Esh are basically herons - very pretty, but they're mostly in the game for flavor and don't really fight. This artifact's just a novelty, but it could be fun, and if nothing else it'll sell for a lot.

Most of the members must have quit after they saw what happened to their sister site, so we don't get the same massive reputation spike we got last time. Arguably we're worse off than before we entered, with all the lost Consortium rep! But I think it's a worthwhile sacrifice for the sake of Big Number. I don't think I've ever had a character be that hated.

Next time, we'll tackle the Rainbow Wood!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Getting past -2000 rep wih a faction should really cause them to send bounty hunters after you imo

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
What a grand and intoxicating innocence.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Was there a reason to kill the ape god?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

he drops a really good cudgel with no cap on strength bonus, if you have the weight capacity to even lift the thing

of course, there isn't really much of a reason to use cudgels at the moment so it's kind of a wash

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
also there's an achievement

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

titty_baby_ posted:

There’s an achievement for it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

titty_baby_ posted:

The Moon King tolerates no competition. All gods and monarchs must fall before him

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

titty_baby_ posted:

Uhh, did you hear the foul things this "ape god" considered to be funny??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
loving love the Rainbow Wood because when you eat a certain thing it genuinely makes me think I'm tripping again and when it ends its extremely jarring