Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I really wish Unity of Command 2 had a difficulty between Classic and Normal. I'm way too much of an idiot to play on Classic and do well, but if you restart a scenario on Normal then it gives you a bunch of extra stuff to make it easier. I just want the slightly more generous objective timers, I don't need to be told that I'm a big stupid baby who needs more planes and trucks to do Operation Sealion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hitler posted:

I don't need to be told that I'm a big stupid baby who needs more planes and trucks to do Operation Sealion.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Megamissen posted:

i never played majesty (seems very stressfull, have watched someone play though) but having little guys you can watch run around and fight on their own is very entertaining
adding a customizable name list (or custom hero creation if they have traits and/or visual customization) would be a good adition, especially for streamers

Nah it's great there are some missions that are more stressful then others (dragon attack comes to mind) but it's pretty fun and the voice actors are great. More gold, your majesty!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

1stGear posted:

I really wish Unity of Command 2 had a difficulty between Classic and Normal. I'm way too much of an idiot to play on Classic and do well, but if you restart a scenario on Normal then it gives you a bunch of extra stuff to make it easier. I just want the slightly more generous objective timers, I don't need to be told that I'm a big stupid baby who needs more planes and trucks to do Operation Sealion.

:same:

my special attacks never seem to do poo poo and they can knock pips off me like it’s nothing.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

sullat posted:

Nah it's great there are some missions that are more stressful then others (dragon attack comes to mind) but it's pretty fun and the voice actors are great. More gold, your majesty!

Tax collector

I serve with pleasure

Praise Daurus!

Ooh, tough fight

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
At last!

Krolm! Krolm! KROLM!

Your majesty, the Elves wish to join our kingdom

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ooh! Pretty star!

You won't get my gold!

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

ii

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Omnia... Omnia...

Energies of Light!!!

Give me speed, Lunord!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

(said really weirdly) refreshing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Majesty characters you're workshopping

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Jazerus posted:

(said really weirdly) refreshing

Lighter! Brighter!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
But I'm just a gnome...

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

every war without us involvement causes regional crisis

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
drat somebody tell the committee they can't give out the nobel peace price to principals of countries at war

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

inferis posted:

I mean, yeah

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Minenfeld! posted:

The time I went to Gettysburg really hit home just how loving stupid the whole thing was. It's not just an enormous amount of open ground it's up a loving hill.

it make more sense once you realize that the Confederates almost pierced the Union center around cemetery hill in the same area as Pickett's charge on the evening of July 2nd with a smaller attack attacking from roughly the same angle

so I think the idea was "well it almost worked 18 hours ago"

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
A way to rephrase that is to say “it didn’t work 18 hours ago”

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Orange Devil posted:

I have some comments, even having never played it:

The idea of paratroopers is nice, though this makes these guys really limited in what they can do since they a) can't combat drop, and also b) can't move to cut enemy supply lines. The only real use I see is using air or operation recon to reveal an enemy key supply unit, kill it with air or artillery, and then drop these guys in to hold the area and keep the supply cut off for a long while. Deck will need enough recon and air/artillery to pull that off though, so let's see. In any case, having these guys in your starting hand just blows, since you want to deploy them immediately so you can draw more cards. In the opening hand they're just worse infantry in every way and the whole paratrooper thing is wasted since NATO can always deploy wherever they want anyway. I'd much rather have these guys in my deck than my opening hand.

Having done a bit more playtesting, there's actually a really good use case I forgot to mention. Sure, when you deploy them forward on the first turn, it doesn't matter if they're paratroopers. But! If you deploy them forward into good defensive terrain, Pact will generally go ahead and try to circumvent it rather than fighting. A normal unit would then find it hard to retreat. Paratroopers with an airlift, however, don't care, since they don't have to break an encirclement. They can just teleport themselves anywhere. This means you don't really have to hesitate to deploy them farther forward than you would normal units.

The utility of paratroopers for NATO and Pact will be completely different, even though it's the same mechanic. I think that's neat. We're tinkering with a Polish deck but can't quite decide if a paratrooper division by itself would work. Polish paratroopers were a bit underequipped, and VDV have more ground vehicles, but on the other hand having the Pact mostly be Soviets is a bit boring. Might need to turn the Polish deck into the 1st Polish Army, which was expected to have airborne and marine assault divisions attached, kind of like how the FAR is also a corps.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Do the Polish paratroopers come equppied with scuba tanks?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

Do the Polish paratroopers come equppied with scuba tanks?

Didn't they legitimately swim the Rhine back to Canadian lines from Oosterbeek? I always forget where the Polish DZs were.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FromKulak/status/1676317422863761409

counterpoint: Allied General, Silent Hunter 4, and Unity of Command: Red Turn

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

Didn't they legitimately swim the Rhine back to Canadian lines from Oosterbeek? I always forget where the Polish DZs were.

Pretty sure they landed on the island but can't check now.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Something something kriegspiel

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Silent Hunter 4 is the best in the series, especially with mods.

I would love it if the UBOAT studio took their detailed and immersive subsim to interesting settings like US Fleet Boats, Italian submarines, British subs in the Med and Pacific, rather than the same Type VII we've been saddled with since the genre began.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Silent Hunter 4 is the best in the series, especially with mods.

I would love it if the UBOAT studio took their detailed and immersive subsim to interesting settings like US Fleet Boats, Italian submarines, British subs in the Med and Pacific, rather than the same Type VII we've been saddled with since the genre began.

Funny how they all just want to play the Germans. Surely nothing to be inferred from that

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

inferis posted:

Yeah, because wars with US involvement place a military footprint counter instead. Some of those counters are nasty.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
SH3 had a great difficulty progression where you started being able to surface raid single ships, then you had to fight convoys and finally hunter killer squads with air cover and hedgehog mortars would just wreck you. SH4 stared you with busted torpedos and limited options but by the end of the war you just had free run of the seas.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

John Charity Spring posted:

The closest point of comparison I have is actually Partisans 1941, which is a game about controlling a squad of Soviet partisans and sneaking around setting up ambushes before Going Loud and murdering Germans and collaborators before running away. It's nowhere near as slick as Aliens but it's worth a look if that sounds interesting at all (which it should)

probably the only time I've seen a sympathetic portrayal of an NKVD officer lol

isn't partisans basically modern commandos:behind enemy lines?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I assume it's a Russian homage to those games, since 90s PC games had a pretty strong pop culture influence. Still relevant to this day tbh, considering how HoMM photoshops and memes pop up to this day.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Typo posted:

isn't partisans basically modern commandos:behind enemy lines?

Sort of. It's clearly in that lineage but it's not as much of a 1:1 reproduction as Shadow Tactics or Desperados 3 or that new pirate one. It's a lot more based around creating ambushes than the one-by-one sneaky takedowns that Commandos was structured around (unless you cheesed it with pistol fire traps)

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Funny how they all just want to play the Germans. Surely nothing to be inferred from that

If society had any sort of integrity about military games everything would be like Japanese flight sims where the countries are all jumbled up.

gradenko_2000 posted:

counterpoint: Allied General, Silent Hunter 4, and Unity of Command: Red Turn

If Sid Meier and CA raised a generation of military men they'd all be dead in the first month

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

I think the Germans had good PR, since there are only a handful of books on other submarine arms.

For a publisher, a meticulously research game about Dutch subs in the DEI, with detailed interactive interiors, voice acting, etc. is probably riskier.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If society had any sort of integrity about military games everything would be like Japanese flight sims where the countries are all jumbled up.

If Sid Meier and CA raised a generation of military men they'd all be dead in the first month

Ace Combat but submarines would be cool

Frosted Flake posted:

I think the Germans had good PR, since there are only a handful of books on other submarine arms.

For a publisher, a meticulously research game about Dutch subs in the DEI, with detailed interactive interiors, voice acting, etc. is probably riskier.

I guess thats the benefit of writing the history books of the war

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Lostconfused posted:

Something something kriegspiel

Something something chess

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

AARP LARPer posted:

Something something chess

something something flower arraingement

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Over the past week, I've been playing the Second Bull Run scenario from John Tiller's Civil War Campaigns - Antietam.

This is how the scenario starts, at 0900 hours on August 29, 1862:

As the Union, your troops are scattered to the east of the Groveton Woods, with Stonewall Jackson defending behind them.

James Longstreet is coming in from the west, and if he links up with Jackson, then it'll be a big ol' hammer-and-anvil against the Union army.

___

Historically, John Pope dithered and dallied for the most of the 29th, making penny-packet attacks, one division at a time, and basically did not attempt to prevent this link-up at all. I was determined to prevent this from happening, and so here's my moves after two hours:

Without yet engaging in force, I deploy two divisions along Sudley road, on the edge of the Groveton Roods, and then another two divisions in an arc running from north of the Groveton School House, to Brawner's woods, covering Jackson's right, while also covering my own left to account for Longstreet (and indeed, you can already see some of the Longstreet's troops just east of Pageland Lane).

___

By 12:20 in the afternoon, Jackson has withdrawn from the western end of Groveton Woods in favor of concentrating against my center. I've had to fall back along that center sector, but have been pushing up against Jackson's right along The Dump, while also creeping up Sudley Road and the Unfinished Railroad.

From off-map, the rest of 3rd Corps is coming in along the Warrenton Turnpike. I'm going to have those troops shore up the center, and then continue to push north through Sudley Road.

To the south, George Meade's Pennsylvanians have managed to completely surround an entire Louisiana brigade - a significant blow to Jackson.

But Longstreet is coming in hard and fast, and it's going to be a race between him and the 5th Corps of the Union army, marching in from the south.

___

My most recently played turn brings us to 2:00 in the afternoon

In the north, we've managed to push back against Jackson in the center, and we're beginning to march around his left flank at Sudley Springs. I have not managed to make much progress deeper into the Groveton Woods besides seizing the objective hex at The Dump, but our long-term plan is to keep "distending our jaw", so to speak, by circling around Stonewall corps to the north, until we can snap it shut.

Next, we maintain a fairly strong position along Brawner's Woods, and are waiting for Longstreet to try and take it from us. What complicates matters is that there are two Confederate brigades, of Hood's division that have managed to march south of Groveton township. I've deployed two infantry brigades, and the bulk of the Union cavalry (now fighting dismounted) to attempt to contain them, but it's a mess and has prevented us from forming a fully cohesive line

Finally, all the way to my extreme left, we're trying to put up a defensive line because it looks like Longstreet might go through here instead of banging his head against Brawner's Woods. We've managed to get to the high ground before he has, and the Union artillery is maybe one or two turns away from completely deploying. If all goes well, we should be able to repulse the rebels here in good order.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If there's anything I learned from being reasonably good at strategy games, it's that I'm not a good strategist.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

i always fall back on the one true strategy of accumulating an unstoppable industrial advantage over my foes and fall apart whenever im told to do something really clever and aggressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

my dad posted:

If there's anything I learned from being reasonably good at strategy games, it's that I'm not a good strategist.

The trick is to read about the historical battle first, so your strategy becomes "don't do what the losing guy did"