Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It requires an insta account

Also apparently if you decide later you don't like Threads and wanna close your account, you have to delete your Instagram account too. Might be just a temporary thing, but still lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ed Zitron goes off: https://wheresyoured.at/p/the-end-of-the-honest-internet

quote:

Threads is exactly the same product as Instagram in that you can only enjoy it in the way that Mark Zuckerberg wants. It is not built for people to interact or communicate — it borders on a one-way communication channel where users piss into the void in the hopes that anybody sees their stuff, a thoughtless MacGuffin built by one billionaire to try and sweep the leg from under another.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Ed zitron is maybe my favorite tech writer - a dumb rear end nerd

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I think given how quickly threads has gotten downloads if it proves at all sticky it will actually become its own app versus now where it’s really just an Instagram spin off and you’ll be able to make an account without using insta and so forth

The insta integration is nice for me though because I immediately have people I know and like irl who I’m following and, get this, they’re actually using the service unlike Twitter where it’s all strangers and everyone i know irl tweeted in 2018

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

MiracleFlare posted:

Also apparently if you decide later you don't like Threads and wanna close your account, you have to delete your Instagram account too. Might be just a temporary thing, but still lol

can someone explain to me why everyone is making a big deal out of this?

Like it is very important that you keep your Meta/IG account, but threads specifically, THAT account needs to be deleted and just that one? You're just so mad at it that even having an account you don't use makes you mad, even though you need the company that hosts it to keep your account open because you use their other website?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

It's unfortunate because I really want Twitter to go bankrupt.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Is the content on threads stupid? Extremely. But that’s what happens when normies actually use your product

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is Threads being tied to your Instagram account a mandatory thing, or can you keep them separate?

I think I've posted less than 10 times on my IG account, and I've got way too many people on my follows list from back when I switched depression meds a long time ago and made some poor follow choices. Like, several hundred of them.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

All this talk of threads is making me want to watch the 1984 British film Threads again.

omg i watched this last night and holy gently caress about those posts where teachers showed it to their class lmao

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

Is Threads being tied to your Instagram account a mandatory thing, or can you keep them separate?

I think I've posted less than 10 times on my IG account, and I've got way too many people on my follows list from back when I switched depression meds a long time ago and made some poor follow choices. Like, several hundred of them.

It is mandatory

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't wish people would switch to a Twitter clone. I wish they'd just stop using Twitter

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It is mandatory

well gently caress

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What an absolute little pissy crybaby

"Look how lovely the other lovely guy is"

Billionaires are loving worthless

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Is Twitter meant to interact in any real way

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

CharlestheHammer posted:

Is Twitter meant to interact in any real way

no it's shouting into the void

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AARP LARPer posted:

no it's shouting into the void

So threads is doing what it’s supposed to I guess

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Musk has lost King

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kazil posted:

While Elon is very much not mad about threads, I think it's important to point out that Jack is also very not mad.

Look at these idiots not paying 44b for an existing service and just making their own. :xd:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

kazil posted:

Musk has lost King

When did he have him?

Context
Sep 11, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

well gently caress

You can make a new instagram account though. I don't think it's against the TOS because there's a built-in shortcut to switch accounts (double tap your profile picture in the bottom right).

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kazil posted:

Musk has lost King

Musk is so desperate for King's attention.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

kazil posted:

Musk has lost King

Does he not understand the position of “you both suck and deserve failure”?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Concerning

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

“Uninvolved observer” needs to have a mockable abstract avatar or else no fair

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

kazil posted:

Musk has lost King

that reply doesn't even make sense, he's so bad at this

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

pacerwpg posted:

Please don't print that I'm mad.

Awful snipes is like my god given talent. Unbelievable.

The good news is, here at Something Awful dot com, you've logged on to the World Wide Web's #1 portal to awfulness, the most awful offramp on the information superhighway! As one of our most esteemed alumni loves to say, "Never Log Off"

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Context posted:

You can make a new instagram account though. I don't think it's against the TOS because there's a built-in shortcut to switch accounts (double tap your profile picture in the bottom right).

Yeah it's very easy to just create and attach a new IG profile and create your threads account with that. I have a car related account and a friends and family account so I can keep content separate. Still haven't done the threads thing though since I had already kicked the Twitter habbit pre-elon and am happier for it.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
So I saw that Threads is trending on Twitter and there is some amazing discussion happening about it!

https://streamable.com/t4s9zk

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

kazil posted:

Musk has lost King

King would obviously be Wilde in this comparison. Thought that was pretty obious Elon

Steadiman fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 7, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

kazil posted:

While Elon is very much not mad about threads, I think it's important to point out that Jack is also very not mad.

gently caress musk

what is BirdJack and Andy Allen even trying to say?

like of course posting looks the same, its text, having a SM site look, read, and post like House of Leaves or some other hyper stylish or different is never going to be a main stream thing.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Remember when zuck was going around town to town to “meet average everyday Americans” and do photo ops with them for a rumored jump into politics? And then the Cambridge Analytica scandal came out and that completely tanked his shot at jumping into politics.
i don't think it was the CA controversy that shut him down.. just nobody was interested in him running.

he also went from atheist jew to practicing jew or something during that time and said he was interested in his faith again... then never talked about it ever again.

Steadiman posted:

I mean Elon made a huge stink out of making The Algorithm public on Github even, I'd think that was a large ingredient in the secret sauce so maybe don't do things like that if you wanna keep things secret.

it had absolutely nothing in it other than showing that twitter's algorithm gets changed if its an elon tweet

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

So I saw that Threads is trending on Twitter and there is some amazing discussion happening about it!

https://streamable.com/t4s9zk
but when do i slurp my juice?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't wish people would switch to a Twitter clone. I wish they'd just stop using Twitter

Yeah

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

kazil posted:

Musk has lost King

This guy is more dumb than most minerals lmao

And he's "The Richest Man in the world" :shepface:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
have any of the borked brain journos like Tabbi or Greenwald posted on their substack how substack is better or they love Zuck.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Elon needs some intervention for his social media addiction.

About that....

Business Insider posted:

A Tesla board member once locked Elon Musk's phone in a safe to keep him off Twitter. The billionaire forced hotel security to open it, biographer says.

Even Elon Musk's friends aren't too happy with his tweets.

Some of Musk's friends have taken drastic measures to try to keep him from tweeting late into the night, according to Musk's biographer, who has been shadowing the billionaire for the better part of three years.

Tesla board member and close Musk confidant Antonio Gracias once took Musk's phone away to prevent him from tweeting late into the night, Isaacson said during a Twitter Spaces event on Wednesday.

"At one point when Elon was firing off tweets without filtering them in the least, they were on a trip and Antonio took his iPhone — Elon's iPhone — and locked it in the hotel safe with Antonio punching in the code so that Elon couldn't get up at 3 a.m. and start tweeting again," Isaacson said, describing Gracias as "one of Elon's closest friends."

Musk later got hotel security to open the safe at around 3 a.m. so he could start tweeting again, Isaacson said.

The biographer added that Musk is "almost addicted to the drama that comes with Twitter" and sees owning Twitter as a way he can be "king of the playground."

"It's something he loves — loves almost to the point of compulsion," Isaacson said, adding that some of his friends, including his brother Kimbal Musk, attempted to convince him not to buy Twitter.

Gracias and Musk did not respond to Insider's requests for comment ahead of publication.

It's unclear when Gracias attempted to lock Musk's phone away. Though, the Tesla CEO has faced his fair share of controversy regarding his tweets over the years. In 2018, Tesla investor Ron Baron advised Musk to stop tweeting when he's annoyed or angry.

"If something really upsets you, go for a walk around the factory. Get an ice cream cone. Just don't use Twitter," Baron told Musk.

Baron sent the email after the CEO called a British cave diver who helped rescue a group of boys that were trapped in a cave a "pedo" on Twitter. Musk later apologized for the tweet about three days after Baron's email and the "pedo" comment eventually spawned a defamation lawsuit which Musk won in 2019.

The email exchange was uncovered during a trial over Musk's "funding secured" tweet, which the billionaire also won. Though, Musk and Tesla each paid the Securities and Exchange Commission a $20 million penalty in 2018 over the tweet in which Musk said he would take Tesla private.

Twitter's new CEO also once told Musk he shouldn't tweet late into the night and the billionaire has admitted he should probably stop tweeting at 3 a.m.

"Have I shot myself in the foot multiple times? Yes," Musk said during a BBC interview earlier this year. "I think I should not tweet after 3:00 a.m. If you're gonna tweet something that maybe is controversial, save it as a draft then look at it the next day, and see if you still want to tweet it."

Musk has long been known for his juvenile sense of humor and unfiltered, combative nature. On Twitter, his tweets have ranged from low-brow sexual humor and jokes about marijuana, to theories on life on Mars and initiating feuds with the likes of Apple's CEO Tim Cook and Amazon founder Jeff Bezos.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-phone-locked-hotel-safe-stop-tweeting-walter-isaacson-2023-7

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

This guy is more dumb than most minerals lmao

And he's "The Richest Man in the world" :shepface:

Musk is a continuing source of inspiration

No matter how close you are to rock bottom

He shows us that it is possible to fail upwards

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Man.. most people just get addicted to drugs

Imagine the sort of poo poo you could buy for $44 billion

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
The mere existence of a pepe coin should be immediately damning not just to cryptocurrency, but to concept of capital as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
but he does do drug too.

also his "friends" should just smash the phone and then see if Musk does that SpongeBob scene where Squid has a closet full of alarm clocks and Bob just keeps breaking them.