Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

kazil posted:

Yes, they somehow made the story in DL2 even more dogshit

Wow! I actually liked the gameplay in DL1, but the story and dull protagonist bored me to tears, so I never bothered finishing it. I guess I'll steer clear of DL2 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hwurmp posted:

I played it when it first came out, and it ended with a fight against the evil zombie mastermind who is also your loving father, and zombie blood injections have somehow given him powers of superjumping and throwing goddamn kamehamehas

you beat him and then you find your adopted sister who always called you AYDENBABAYDEN, and you have to turn off her life support to stop missiles from destroying the city for...some reason

then there was literally just a black screen that says "You saved the city"

Holy poo poo :lmao:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it was at least funny to watch Kyle Crane constantly getting dunked on by everyone around him

whenever Aiden Caldwell is about to get dunked on it is always obvious and stupid and frustrating

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

SoR Blaze posted:

I agree, but I'm also excited for new Helldivers. The first game was one of my top ten for that year and I've always dug Arrowhead's games. Who knows, Risk of Rain 2 was a big hit that people seemed to like even more than the first one, and it made a similar transition of perspectives.

Here's hoping they capture some of the same magic, and here's hoping that pubbies learn that you don't need to kill every bug on higher difficulties!

I understand what you're saying, but that actually is part of the game that I'm hoping they change a bit: the fact that the optimal way to play the game was to avoid combat as much as possible was kind of a bummer as I'd get in these groups running radar and stealth and all we'd do is run around doing objectives and never getting our guns hot or hearing the incredible music or playing with our explosive toys. Almost feels like a case where they might want to change the design to focus on the fun part more, being the desperate overwhelming combat, rather than treating the best part as a punishment for failing to be optimally boring. Well, more so than that, I'm also hoping they change the terrible DLC practices of locking you out of all the best weapons and tools. Whatever they end up doing, though, I'll probably give it a whirl as I loved Helldivers, warts and all.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Is there any fun to be had with Rain World? For the longest time I thought it was some kind of aimless sandbox game where you wander around in a hostile world until something inevitably kills you, learning it's a real game with a beginning and end makes me want to try and get through it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Is there any fun to be had with Rain World? For the longest time I thought it was some kind of aimless sandbox game where you wander around in a hostile world until something inevitably kills you, learning it's a real game with a beginning and end makes me want to try and get through it.

It is an exploration game with plot beats and an ending and very discrete lore, yeah. Personaly, I had a great time with it (I also ragequit multiple times), but it is anything but aimless even if you sometimes might feel lost in it.

[edit] As weird as it sounds, I think S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Darkwood are the games I associate mostly closely with Rain World

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 7, 2023

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hwurmp posted:

I played it when it first came out, and it ended with a fight against the evil zombie mastermind who is also your loving father, and zombie blood injections have somehow given him powers of superjumping and throwing goddamn kamehamehas

you beat him and then you find your adopted sister who always called you AYDENBABAYDEN, and you have to turn off her life support to stop missiles from destroying the city for...some reason

That sounds like something that would happen in a Suda51 game , but I imagine it's played too straight for that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I saw Dying Light 2 got a big update recently that people seem to like, is it worth getting now or is it still better to just go back and play the first game?

I'm light on specifics, but my brother has been singing the patch's praises

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Is there any fun to be had with Rain World?

My feel is "Great game, but no, not really specifically fun for most of it."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Rain World's probably the most fun game I've played in years but you need to be okay with 1) dying a lot, 2) making do with very little signposting, 3) dying a lot.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I still feel like a massive idiot whenever I read about Dying Light 2 because I spent 60 American dollars and learned it sucked well beyond the refund window. I remember getting the hang glider and thinking maybe then I’d start enjoying it, but then I realized all these previously inaccessible buildings I could finally get into all looked the same and had junk I didn’t need. Also yeah, story is grating. Don’t be fooled by the surprisingly decent intro and welcoming to the town, it’s one of those death by 1000 cuts things.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Story aside, isn't it mostly just Dying Light 1+? And I did not end up loving Dying Light 1.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mordja posted:

Story aside, isn't it mostly just Dying Light 1+? And I did not end up loving Dying Light 1.

DL1 except you have to grind for better consumables, zombie traps, and parkour assists

also you have to choose between traps or assists

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hwurmp posted:

"how stupid can it get, Dying Light 1 was pretty stupid" ---- holy moly :eyepop:

That is incredibly stupid, thank you for the recap

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Don't forget that the player character is half-zombie and gets erratic superpowers from it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Don't forget that the player character is half-zombie and gets erratic superpowers from it.

but only in scripted scenes, never by your choice when they might be cool and fun

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Any recent roguelikes worth checking out?

Like since Hades basically.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 7, 2023

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
What's a good WWII shooter? With the typical WWII guns, I'm not looking for some grand epic storyline.

I'm more interested in multiplayer than single. MP that people still play and there's more than 2 servers.

Vehicles are fun but not essential.

Used to love DoD:S but I remember it was almost dead years ago.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
People like Hell Let Loose but I never really stick with those tacticool shooters. BFV actually sees more daily players than BF2042.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Mordja posted:

People like Hell Let Loose but I never really stick with those tacticool shooters. BFV actually sees more daily players than BF2042.

BFV is a lot of fun! It took like... two years to get there, but I bought it maybe three months before BF2042 came out and had a blast playing MP. BFV was the first modern battlefield game that I didn't buy at launch and I think that might have been a good decision because it was so poorly received but ultimately turned into a really fun shooter. Then BF2042 came out :lol:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ProperCoochie posted:

What's a good WWII shooter? With the typical WWII guns, I'm not looking for some grand epic storyline.

I'm more interested in multiplayer than single. MP that people still play and there's more than 2 servers.

Vehicles are fun but not essential.

Used to love DoD:S but I remember it was almost dead years ago.
COD Vanguard is $30 and still has some players, Battlefield V is $12.50 ($10 on EA's NOT STEAM store), so it depends on whether you like COD or BF style shooting better. CODV has better single player, BFV has better multiplayer, but BFV is also full of cheaters on PC recently since EA stopped all anticheat efforts when they launched 2042.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

PantsBandit posted:

Revita, Roboquest, Gunfire Reborn

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Mordja posted:

Hell Let Loose has some ongoing issues after being sold to the studio that makes the Worms games and most of the original devs leaving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maBNXz7ZK0Y

Insurgency: Sandstorm is apparently having similar problems as well. And the Cold War-era FPS from the Red Orchestra: Rising Storm developers also got canceled.

Edit: oh yeah and the Post Scriptum (the other realistic WW2 game) devteam got laid off over the holidays in December.

C.M. Kruger fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 7, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gently caress Team 17 is such a bad publisher lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Voidigo, it's like enter the gungeon if it was made by people who want you to have fun

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart

edit: Oh and Balatro

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 7, 2023

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

FutureCop posted:

I understand what you're saying, but that actually is part of the game that I'm hoping they change a bit: the fact that the optimal way to play the game was to avoid combat as much as possible was kind of a bummer as I'd get in these groups running radar and stealth and all we'd do is run around doing objectives and never getting our guns hot or hearing the incredible music or playing with our explosive toys. Almost feels like a case where they might want to change the design to focus on the fun part more, being the desperate overwhelming combat, rather than treating the best part as a punishment for failing to be optimally boring. Well, more so than that, I'm also hoping they change the terrible DLC practices of locking you out of all the best weapons and tools. Whatever they end up doing, though, I'll probably give it a whirl as I loved Helldivers, warts and all.

I feel you on that, I just remember too many missions playing with randos that would get caught up on every random enemy, and we'd get into a firefight that would end up getting us killed. Definitely the best part of Helldivers is getting in a little bit over your head where you're calling in airstrikes and special weapons and vehicles, I just always felt frustrated at high levels that no one would actually try to get to the objective and it would doom the whole mission.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mordja posted:

This is juvenile but fun and oddly heartwarming idek why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ubEMFjxqY

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Somehow I've never seen that "Devotion to Duty" trailer for HLL but my god that's awful.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Hell Let Loose has some ongoing issues after being sold to the studio that makes the Worms games and most of the original devs leaving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maBNXz7ZK0Y

lmao I've been thinking "maybe I should finally give it another try" because the last time I played was before my 3080 but I guess I'm hosed hey

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How is Sonic Frontiers if I like the idea of a really tight 3d platformer, but am completely neutral on the Sonic property? It's one of those games I can't get a read on: all the reviews seem to say it's a pretty solid 7.5/10 with problems that don't detract from the core experience, but I look at footage and between the godawful pop-in and the weird aesthetic clash between the environment and the enemies, it looks like one of those weekend projects where someone installs UE4 and puts Mario in a Call of Duty level or something.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

How is Sonic Frontiers if I like the idea of a really tight 3d platformer, but am completely neutral on the Sonic property? It's one of those games I can't get a read on: all the reviews seem to say it's a pretty solid 7.5/10 with problems that don't detract from the core experience, but I look at footage and between the godawful pop-in and the weird aesthetic clash between the environment and the enemies, it looks like one of those weekend projects where someone installs UE4 and puts Mario in a Call of Duty level or something.
It plays like one of those too

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

The bar is just so loving low for the blue hedgehog fans that despite all that it's still considered to be one of the better entries in the franchise.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Black Griffon posted:

lmao I've been thinking "maybe I should finally give it another try" because the last time I played was before my 3080 but I guess I'm hosed hey
It's still the same game, people are hyperbolic about the new dev team, but black matter wasn't the best either. Game is still fun and still has a large player base.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I'm trying to play MGS5 like Deus Ex and I was having a pretty good time but the stealthing in this game is absolutely terrible. Snake can't open a loving door without SLAM-JAMMING it into the walls, calling guards from 15 meters away and having them teleport on my location when my back is turned. Am I just supposed to go Rambo style to enjoy this game like in Dishonored?
Since the saving is checkpoint based, if I spend 10 minutes crawling through slow-rear end vents to stealth and die, it sucks to try again and get spotted at the same exact places.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

tripwood posted:

I'm trying to play MGS5 like Deus Ex and I was having a pretty good time but the stealthing in this game is absolutely terrible. Snake can't open a loving door without SLAM-JAMMING it into the walls, calling guards from 15 meters away and having them teleport on my location when my back is turned. Am I just supposed to go Rambo style to enjoy this game like in Dishonored?
Since the saving is checkpoint based, if I spend 10 minutes crawling through slow-rear end vents to stealth and die, it sucks to try again and get spotted at the same exact places.

I'm afraid this is a textbook skill issue

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I don't play that many stealth games and I had no issues with stealth in MGS5 :confused:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

tripwood posted:

What? Just uhh...don't sprint while you're opening the door and you won't slam it?
I played through MGS5 3 times at least and I don't remember door slamming ever being a problem.

Also, checkpoints are a positive thing because they make you learn the game instead of abusing quicksave/quickload.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

tripwood posted:

I'm trying to play MGS5 like Deus Ex and I was having a pretty good time but the stealthing in this game is absolutely terrible.

:dafuq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

tripwood posted:

oof, oh boy