Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

CommieGIR posted:

Its so damned clear he knew the whole time and was probably thrilled that he was the one she chose.

lets dispel this fiction that the dad doesnt know what hes doing - he knows exactly what hes doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Dad is going to have many fun years ahead of him screwing with his future son-in-law.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Need more anime dads in romcoms like this one and the Kaguya dad.

Not her dad but Daddy dad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Need more anime dads in romcoms like this one and the Kaguya dad.

Not her dad but Daddy dad.

Also like Kyousuke from Horimiya. Dude's a riot.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CommieGIR posted:

Also like Kyousuke from Horimiya. Dude's a riot.

He's where the main girl gets being a freak goblin from and it's great.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He's where the main girl gets being a freak goblin from and it's great.
I mean - Yuriko, Kyouko's mom, is hardly normal or a pushover either. The combination of Kyousuke and Yuriko is why Kyouko is the way she is.

Spoilers for Horimiya - Kyousuke and Yuriko's backstory

Chapter 119 of Volume 16

But honestly Kyousuke is a wonderful dad, at least what they showed of him in the books and series.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 1, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

the latest chapter of ayaka is in love with hiroko is very one piece

---

blooming love chapter 8

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Found another cute one: "Behind the Supermarket, Smoking With You" ; tldr: overworked salaryman visits a grocery store every day because the cashier cheers him up, instead he gets roped into smoking behind the store with another cashier without realizing they are one and the same person.

https://mangadex.org/title/baa95345-24fb-47a9-83e9-434ff671f968/super-no-ura-de-yani-suu-hanashi

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 6, 2023

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

CommieGIR posted:

Found another cute one: "Behind the Supermarket, Smoking With You" ; tldr: overworked salaryman visits a grocery store every day because the cashier cheers him up, instead he gets roped into smoking behind the store with another cashier without realizing they are one and the same person.

https://mangadex.org/title/baa95345-24fb-47a9-83e9-434ff671f968/super-no-ura-de-yani-suu-hanashi

This one just recently got announced for an English physical release from Square Enix :toot:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Chapter 124 of "The Dangers in my Heart" dropped:
https://mangadex.org/title/3df1a9a3-a1be-47a3-9e90-9b3e55b1d0ac/boku-no-kokoro-no-yabai-yatsu

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

note that ever since it got licensed, mangadex has only had the twitter extras posted. the actual chapters you have to get elsewhere

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sockpuppetclock posted:

note that ever since it got licensed, mangadex has only had the twitter extras posted. the actual chapters you have to get elsewhere

Huh, not my instance as far as I could tell?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The actual 27 and 28 are not on mangadex, just SE's manga up and wherever rips official sources.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
since im going down a romance manga rabbit hole i'm gonna post some stuff and short impressions as i read them, figure i'd put them here i guess.

started with insomniacs

Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia
liked it a lot which kind of kickstarted this whole thing. something about the art and vibe is incredibly melancholic to me but in a good way. ojiro's art and full page panels really evoke that feel for whatever reason. the romance is cute, and feels genuine. the characters have a very grounded, real feeling and good, earned growth. that 'realistic' feel maybe a big part of why it elicited that overarching melancholy to me even when I'm not sure it was trying to.

I started by reading ojiro's previous 2 works starting with

Neko no Otera no Chion-san
to me this gave me a similar vibe, it's really something about her art. it's a lot more sophmoric than inomniacs and much hornier, but not explicitly thankfully. The age gap was pretty off-putting at first but at least they had some kind of history for it and waited. It was funny seeing her basically reuse character designs from this in insomniacs. The romance in this is pretty mild until the back third or so, but it was a good slice of life. Also, cats.

Fujiyama-San wa Shisunki
having a fuller picture of ojiro's growth after reading this was interesting. her art in this one for me didn't evoke any of the melancholy i got from chion-san or insomniacs. once again though it was more sophmoric than chion, it's interesting seeing that change and how they're kind of progressively less horny than the previous. I also completely spaced on these characters being middle schoolers until like halfway through. not sure why exactly. it made more sense that the characters were annoying when i realized that. not annoying in a super detracting way, but a somewhat realistic one. middle school is the worst so I get it. Overall it was enjoyable and cute but I think a lot of it for me was seeing how the mangaka progressed from here. Also kind of love that Kurashiki in fujiyama-san is literally the same person in Insomniacs, just a bit older.

after that I started with the first thing on a list I've been making

Machida's World
This manga is extremely good. I'm not sure I have a lot to say about it other than that I binged the poo poo out of it and when It ended, I didn't have that kind of sense of wistful longing and emptiness I often feel after finishing fiction be it books or manga. Just extremely wholesome and uplifting. the (specifically main characters romance) romance is once again kind of light but it's thematically woven into every part of it from start to finish.

Shishunki Bitter Change
this was recommended to me by my partner who read it several years ago. It was okay? I feel like i would have lost my mind If i was reading this as it came out over 7 years. I probably would have dropped it around the halfway point and MAYBE finished it later. It's much closer to my previous experience with romance, shoujo or otherwise. it's very melodramatic, though the overarching themes are interesting but largely unexplored. the main gimmick of the body swapping didn't... add much at all beyond the interpersonal stuff which was disappointing. like I think this could have not had that element at all and been reworked without a lot of effort i guess (not that it needed to, just that it was largely unexplored). the art's cute for the most part. the characters are pretty good. It just drags, I think. the ending felt rushed and I'm still confused about what exactly happened. When I initially started reading it, I got a pretty depressing vibe from it (and to be fair, It was at times quite depressing) and thought It was going to be a tragic ending. I guess I'm happy it wasn't but the ending still felt unearned? I don't know if I'd recommend it but it was okay.

Yasashii Hikari
this was short and sweet. very chill. gave me barakamon vibes, though mostly in some of the overarching themes (longing for a simpler lifes etc) and the setting. The age gap between the characters wasn't great, but it was thankfully more of a unrequited thing that resolved in adulthood. Art was great, writing was good. Characters were good though kind of under developed. I'm not sure that can be helped with such a short manga, and given the stylistic choices with the pacing and narrative arc it didn't bother me much.

if y'all don't want me to poo poo up this thread with this stuff let me know

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 8, 2023

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tabletops posted:

since im going down a romance manga rabbit hole i'm gonna post some stuff and short impressions as i read them, figure i'd put them here i guess.

[...]

if y'all don't want me to poo poo up this thread with this stuff let me know

None of those really look like what I'm in the mood for, but I appreciate big infodumps like that even if I don't end up reading anything listed there, especially for finished works because those are the ones I'm most likely to actually read! Keep at it, IMO.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

ToxicFrog posted:

Keep at it, IMO.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
read another batch of stuff

Hoshi ni Negai wo

This was a pretty cute oneshot. the arts good, characters were interesting if a little archetypal. it was pretty funny as well! It seems like it was trying really hard to get serialized and maybe it should have been, I don't think that detracts from my opinion about it though. Worth a read at only 27 pages.

How Our Indifference Fades

another one shot. Or I think technically it's two, but they tell two sides of the same short story. It's cute and very short. Probably worth a read.

Lonely Girl ni Sakaraenai

First yuri I've read since starting this and It was really good. Arts great, the character designs are very good and kind of evoke an early 2000s-ness to some of them (mainly the two MCs). I don't know how intentional that was or if it's kind of archetypal for the genre, but i liked it and it doesn't feel out of place. This is maybe the most 'by the numbers' fluffy romance I've read so far, I don't mean that in a negative way but i could see it turning people off. The characters are very archetypal, the narrative arc is very standard and the story is predictable. It's almost like an ur manga (despite being new). That said think it did all of those things well, and a few things excellently. When I described it as fluffy earlier I mean that the stakes are relatively low (beyond the characters romance/relationship I guess), and the drama is minor. The world outside the two main characters (and ~5 supporting characters) may as well not exist, it is extremely focused on their relationship(s) and not much else. Whether that's a bad thing is up to the reader I guess, at first it put me off but it ended up sucking me in so I guess it wasn't that big of a deal to me ultimately. It doesn't have a suggestive tag on mangadex but it's by far the handsiest/most intimate of the ones I've read so far. It's not explicit at all but it's in practiccally every chapter. If that kind of thing makes you uncomfortable considering their age (or for whatever reason), I guess this is a warning. Also the premise could probably be offputting to people, but I suggest reading the first few chapters as it does a 180 quite quickly.

Misoshiru de Kanpai!

This is a very slow burn. it's technically a romance, but it's 90% slice of life/cooking. It does have a good story though, and the character development for the two mcs (mostly the male mc) is good. The characters are all great, I loved their designs and I found the art in general to be very cute. at some point i ended up skipping a lot of the food related bits, as they mercifully broke them out from the rest of the manga into little mostly self contained sections. Did learn a lot about miso and lots of other japanese food though. Unfortunately it seems like all the TLs that were doing it dropped it, for what reason I'm not sure. So there are~30 missing chapters, from 48 to 79 (also chapter 42 for whatever reason), but 80-85 were done. If I had to guess why, it'd be because the romantic development was almost non existent. like the pining (by the mc) and the window dressings were there, but it just didn't go anywhere until basically the last few pages of the last chapter. As far as I could tell, it was pretty much status quo the entire time. I'm sure there was lots of cute poo poo in those 30 chapters but nothing really important developed. That said, I did like the story itself and the MMCs development through his family and friends, and their memories of his mom was good and touching. This may be something best enjoyed at a leisurely pace.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 9, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

you and i are polar opposites chapter 35, clown
we get some taira backstory + we get to see the boys hanging out

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

See, without this post I wouldn't have realized that Can't Defy the Lonely Girl finally wrapped up! Time to go read it once I'm done Shoujo Manga Protagonist × Rival-san, which I'm not really vibing with but it's short enough that I might as well finish it.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Protagonist x Rival spends a lot of time spinning it's wheels with the same gag, but once it decides to make progress it gets plenty cute enough.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

Protagonist x Rival spends a lot of time spinning it's wheels with the same gag, but once it decides to make progress it gets plenty cute enough.

My main issue with it thus far is less that it's the same gag over and over again and more that Hiyama is a tremendous rear end in a top hat and Honoka can do much better.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was reading the smoking manga, and it's pretty cute, but lol at the part where he's worried about his health, finds out it actually isn't that bad yet, and just goes "whew that's a relief, now I can keep smoking"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

I was reading the smoking manga, and it's pretty cute, but lol at the part where he's worried about his health, finds out it actually isn't that bad yet, and just goes "whew that's a relief, now I can keep smoking"

Also on brand for a lot of smokers I know

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

In the spirit of doing posts about stuff we've read recently, here's mine. I haven't put nearly as much effort into it as Tabletops, sorry.

Brides of Iberis
It's short and gay and everyone involved kind of sucks to a greater or lesser degree. This is the first Akiyama Haru I've read and apparently this is fairly typical for her. They don't like suck unrealistically but it's also not the kind of warm and fuzzy stuff I often prefer.

Shoujou Manga Protagonist × Rival-san
As mentioned above it's kind of one-note for the first half, and Hiyama is kind of an rear end in a top hat, but it gets better towards the end. Still probably not something I'd go out of my way to recommend.

Lonely Wolf, Lonely Sheep
An improbable meet-cute turns into a short story about helping each other recover from past trauma and abuse. I think the concept has enough meat on it that the author easily could have stretched it out much longer, but she opted to keep it short and to the point; I think I would have enjoyed it either way.

Bringing a girl from a mixer home
A pair of oneshots about two women who go to a mixer and leave together, one from each one's perspective. Not much to it but v. cute.

Tonari no Robot
Surprising no-one who knows me, I get really emotional about gay robots and ended this one crying into my tablet (in a good way). Definitely my favourite of the lot listed here.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 12, 2023

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

ToxicFrog posted:

Lonely Wolf, Lonely Sheep
An improbable meet-cute turns into a short story about helping each other recover from pasta trauma and abuse.

mama mia

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Whoops, fixed.

There's probably a manga out there where "pasta trauma" is a thing, though.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

ToxicFrog posted:

Whoops, fixed.

*sees love interest pour ketchup onto spaghetti*

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

Whoops, fixed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i legit have fajita trauma.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I dunno if it was this thread specifically, but thank you to whoever recommended Shiroyama & Mita-san, very delightful stuff

ah, here we go

sinky posted:

Shiroyama to Mita-san
They are total weirdos

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Orb Crabmelt posted:

I dunno if it was this thread specifically, but thank you to whoever recommended Shiroyama & Mita-san, very delightful stuff

ah, here we go

Its delightful and what I imagine Junji Ito doing Romcom would look like. Two outwardly emotionless yet loving wonderful couple just vibing with each other.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 12, 2023

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Its delightful and what I imagine Junji Ito doing Romcom would look like. Two outwardly emotionless yet loving wonderful couple just vibing with each other.

Shiroyama and Mita are themselves great, but I like all the side characters too. The first chapter with Shiroyama's sisters was one of my favorites, especially the younger one going on about her favorite romance manga.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Shiroyama and Mita are themselves great, but I like all the side characters too. The first chapter with Shiroyama's sisters was one of my favorites, especially the younger one going on about her favorite romance manga.

Agreed everyone is great.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Asagao to Kase-san
I really adore the art in this manga. especially yamada (who gets a lot of attention from the mangaka). This is a really cute, fluffy yuri that I enjoyed quite a bit! I won't elaborate too much on it as it's fairly short, but it was a really good read. I'll use this to talk about the sequel (I guess?) that is ongoing, "Yamada to Kase-san". The author's art continued to improve in general and the character art is even cuter than its prequel, or maybe just a bit more detailed i'm not really sure. Maybe being unrestrained by seifuku helped the artist with that, regardless I think their technique has just improved as well. The story continues right where it left off. Unfortunately I feel like the author kinda spins their wheels at this point, essentially revisiting character arcs previously explored (mostly jealousy and insecurity), for whatever reason. Regardless, I think it continues to be cute and worth reading although the current arc seems to be frustrating for readers, since i guess it only publishes once every 2-3 months for ~12 page chapters and as I said, it's retreading narrative ground.

Futari Ashita mo Sorenari ni
This was a really cute slice of life about an adult couple just getting along. the characters are all good and their development was nice to watch. The art is simple but cute. It's kind of short despite the number of chapters but that's ok, not everything needs to be 1000 pages. Maybe better enjoyed at a slower pace, though I liked it a lot regardless. I guess it started as a twitter comic and got picked up, and now it's getting a worldwide?(or at least US) publication as well, so that's cool.

Bonnouji
This was a fun read, I guess it'd be categorized as an slice of life romcom and a pretty fluffy/low stakes one. The casual mid-2000s setting was interesting and neat to see some of the cultural shifts that have happened in only ~10-15 years. The art is fun and kind of sloppy, but not in a bad way, just a kind of disheveled bed-head way. I liked the characters and their designs, although there were really only... 4? I guess 5 if you include the enigmatic brother. I was kind of meh on the premise at first but it really grew on me and as a whole ended up feeling genuine despite that.

How do we relationship?

This one is a bit of a rollercoaster. It's a yuri relationship drama/romance manga that is on the realistic side, I guess. I'm not sure if there is a genre name for that kind of more grounded take that doesn't really rely on tropes. It's dramatic, the characters are all well written, it's funny, the story is good (really more the individual stories of the two MCs), the art is great. It explores some LGBT issues in Japan on a individual level which was cool. i wouldn't say it's a focus as much as it's just a part of the characters lives. It's an emotional rollercoaster though, and goes to some dark places. It's very good, and one of the closest portrayals of real relationships, or maybe the mind of a person in one, I guess that I've read in a manga. It's not complete, but there are 8 volumes and a 9th coming out in a couple weeks and it's simulpub'd now through viz. I really liked the translator(s) that did the first ~30 chapters though, they put a lot of effort into the translation to give it character without changing the meaning. The official one isn't bad by any means though.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 13, 2023

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The timeline in Bonnouji is what fucks with me every time I think about it, like the first chapter she's just broken up with her boyfriend and then all of a sudden in chapter 10

and they keep doing that every couple of chapters, they keep saying years when weeks or months would make way more sense

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Terper posted:

The timeline in Bonnouji is what fucks with me every time I think about it, like the first chapter she's just broken up with her boyfriend and then all of a sudden in chapter 10

and they keep doing that every couple of chapters, they keep saying years when weeks or months would make way more sense
A lot of slice of life stories can be read as a daily thing or as a series of vignettes, but don't really make it as explicit as Bonnouji does.

Part of why Bonnouji appeals so much is that it makes it explicit that a fair amount of time has passed, because without mentioning it it could come off as a rebound romance.
Of course that doesn't mean that there's a hard rule for how long there has to be between when anyone stops being involved with someone and starts being involved with someone else, but if the story calls for people to get together quickly, it seems to me to need to at least provide a little bit of explanation for why it isn't a rebound romance.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Thanks, I bookmarked most of these

Very glad I came to this thread. This is pretty much the only place I take manga recs from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Terper posted:

i did a doubletake at that too lol, i thought maybe she had broken up with her boyfriend a year + before the first chapter but i have no idea really. didn't really matter either way i guess.

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Thanks, I bookmarked most of these

Very glad I came to this thread. This is pretty much the only place I take manga recs from

glad people are enjoying these posts

forgot to add to that post but I started pseudo harem but dropped it, wasn't really feeling it. maybe i'll revisit it later.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 13, 2023