Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Had to go back and replace Wakatakakage, having forgotten about his knee surgery. My dreams of a Double Wakaing, dashed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

pseudodragon posted:

Who's the most E Honda rikishi? Takakeisho? Most of the other top guys are too focused on grappling and belt work for an SF fighter. Taka's the most likely to hundred hand slap the poo poo out of someone and if he could torpedo headbutt someone IRL, that would probably be his primary attack.

It's definetly Daieisho. All offense all the time no belt moves, would use rockets to propell himself if he was allowed.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I wish you all luck and excellent performances in the forthcoming goonzuke.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

pseudodragon posted:

Who's the most E Honda rikishi? Takakeisho? Most of the other top guys are too focused on grappling and belt work for an SF fighter. Taka's the most likely to hundred hand slap the poo poo out of someone and if he could torpedo headbutt someone IRL, that would probably be his primary attack.

I would have said Tamawashi - sticks around forever, primarily pusher thruster but does have some belt technique (I guess Takakeisho has started using the sukuinage to keep people honest in the past few tournaments now that his knees are shredded but he literally didn't do a throw for the first three years I watched him).

They did a fantastic job making Honda's animations look way more like actual sumo though, it's genuinely impressive how they married the necessary stylization that a video game requires with actual sumo techniques.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Kirishima

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho
Abi

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Shodai
Ura

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Kinbozan
Hokutofuji

M11+:
Gonoyama
Hakuoho
Takarafuji

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

wodin posted:

They did a fantastic job making Honda's animations look way more like actual sumo though, it's genuinely impressive how they married the necessary stylization that a video game requires with actual sumo techniques.

My one complaint about Honda is that his World Tour mode intro has him doing a dohyo-iri, but he's not a yokozuna.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

https://twitter.com/GSumoBreakdown/status/1677156351112278016

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/torikumi/1/1/

Haven't heard anything else about it yet but apparently Takakeisho is kyujo. Not even on the bout list which I think means he hasn't even registered to compete so can't even come in halfway through?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

whats for dinner posted:

Not even on the bout list which I think means he hasn't even registered to compete so can't even come in halfway through?

Anyone on the banzuke can come in whenever, I think there's a daily deadline for when they have to notify the matchmaking people but otherwise that's it. That being said, since he's not kadoban and thus doesn't have to risk immediate demotion, I'm expecting this means he won't be coming in this tournament at all.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Fun fact! He appeared first in 1991 in Street Fighter during a period when there were 4 yokozuna in the banzuke until the end of 92 when there started a period of having 0 yokozuna.. In Street Fighter 4, I think, it's mentioned that he's a "haradsshi-yokozuna", or basically an ozeki that didn't get the rope yet. Going out to pick fights probably didn't sit well with the old men at the top!.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Brut posted:

Anyone on the banzuke can come in whenever, I think there's a daily deadline for when they have to notify the matchmaking people but otherwise that's it. That being said, since he's not kadoban and thus doesn't have to risk immediate demotion, I'm expecting this means he won't be coming in this tournament at all.

Ahhhh gotcha

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Edited keisho out of my picks given his status.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah I did the same. Here's hoping Battle Hamster comes back in great shape for September.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Here goes!

Y/O
Terunofuji
Kirishima

S/K
Daieisho
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Nishikigi
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Takayasu
Kinbozan

M11+:
Kotoeko
Gonoyama
Bushozan

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Kirishma

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Abi
Daieisho

M1-5:
Asanoyama
SHODAI
Meisei

M6-10:
Takayasu
Takanosho
Tamawashi

M11+:
Hakuoho
Wakatakakage
Gonoyama

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

edited takakeisho out of my picks too, that's a shocker

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Man, I jinxed Takakeisho by picking him because he was the only one that didn't have recent injury news.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I hope Takakeisho does take the tournament off and just heals up. I like him and hope to see him eventually get his rope, so I think a rest will do him good.

Netsky
Jun 24, 2004
I AM THE STREET

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Asonayama
Tobizaru
Ura

M6-10:
Oho
Nishikifuji
Hokuseiho

M11+:
Gonoyama
Tsurugisho
Chiyoshoma

Netsky fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 9, 2023

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Daieisho
Hoshoryu
Abi

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Meisei
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Tamawashi
Nishikifuji

M11+:
Gonoyama
Hakuoho
Aoiyama

I dearly hope my brand of trying to remember who is being talked about and who is doing well will shine brightly in my Sumo.

I just want to do well and make double figure wins this basho.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

welcome back Kenning! :)

Y/O:
Kirishima
Terunofuji

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Ura
Nishikigi

M6-10:
Kinbozan
Oho
Tamawashi

M11+:
Gonoyama
Kotoeko
Hakuoho

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Just acknowledging that I also edited my picks to remove Takakeisho - though I would've stuck with him as pick 1 till it turned out he was off the schedule, since initially it sounded like he was planning on sticking around anyway.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Abi
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Tobizaru
Ura

M6-10:
Takayasu
Myogiryu
Kinbozan

M11+:
Gonoyama
Hakuoho
Kotoshoho

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Shodai
Meisei
Ura

M6-10:
Takayasu
Kinbozan
Nishikifuji

M11+:
Hakuoho
Kotoeko
Gonoyama

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka
Daeisho

M1-5:
SHODAI
Asanoyama
Hiradoumi

M6-10:
Kinbozan
Tamawashi
Hokuseiho

M11+:
Hakuoho
Gonoyama
Bushozan

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Stupid broken hamster. I hope he's okay. Scratched him from my list as well, it's kaiju or nothing now.

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
Stoked!

Y/O:

Terunofuji

Kirishima

S/K:
Hoshoryu

Kotonowaka

Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Shodai
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Oho
Kinbozan

M11+:
Endo
Ryuden
Aoiyama

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Shikona: PJ

Y/O:
Kirishima
Terunofuji

S/K:
Daieisho
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Shodai
Hiradoumi
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Kinbozan
Hokutofuji
Tamawashi

M11+:
Chiyoshoma
Gonoyama
Takarafuji

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/patriciajaydee/status/1677377164185067520

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Tobizaru’s already got the best body in the biz, he’s a beautifully rounded guy

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Strongest brand in sumo

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

edited prior post with my yokozuna + ozeki picks as i forgot the top tier my first post

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Tobizaru
Onosho

M6-10:
Takayasu
Tamawashi
Hokutofuji

M11+:
Gonoyama
Hakuoho
Endo

Edit: Changed picks around thanks to helpful users pointing out some kyujo! I appreciate the sportsmanship.

Vargatron fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 8, 2023

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Vargatron posted:

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Kirishima (kyujo?)

M11+:
Wakatakakage
Hakuoho
Endo

Kirishima is in, but Takakeisho and Wakatakakage are both out

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Once again: sumo.

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima
Takakeishnot appearing in this basho

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Hoshoryu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Nishikigi
Ura

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Tamawashi
Takanosho

M11+:
Hakuoho
Gonoyama
Bushozan

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Sadly coming in late on this so good luck to me:

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishimi

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka

1-5:
Asanoyama
Onosho
Meisei

6-10:
Hokuseiho
Takanosho
Kinbozan

11-15
Hakuoho
Kotoeko
Gonoyama

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tobi :h:

Beeswax posted:

Strongest brand in sumo
I saw that and wondered if he was going for a yusho or just a single win, lol. Turns out he's shooting for the middle: a kachikoshi. :geno:

The given translation for Ichiyamamoto's wish was kind of funky, so I checked the Japanese for that one out, too. He wrote "Hachiyamamoto," I assume referring to the eight wins he needs for KK.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/tochinoshin/status/1677245519553527813?s=19

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Hahahaha has he just been laying on a beach for the last couple weeks?

I want that food.

LlamaTrauma
Jan 12, 2005

Well here I am
Drunk in Heaven
Kinda seems redundant
Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima
Takakeisho :(

S/K
Hoshoryu
Abi
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Shodai
Asanoyama
Mitakeumi

M6-10:
Takayasu
Tamawashi
Hokuseiho

M11+:
Aoiyama
Takarafuji
Gonoyama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Hoshoryu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Shodai
Ura

M6-10:
Kinbozan
Tamawashi
Hokuseiho

M11+:
Hakuoho
Kotoeko
Bushozan

Top of the banzuke is weird.

Everyone in Y/O is apparently injured? Crapshoot. If Teru isn't kyujo he'll probably still put on a show, but it'll be apparent by like, day 3.

Sekiwake is open season and one of these dudes is going to hopefully pop 12 and make the jump. Komusubi is some folks who have done well but maybe not been consistent? Kotonowaka has done better recently than Abi, but in the end there's no reason to pick either of these over the sekiwake. It is ripe for upset though.

Returning Asanoyama seems an easy lock for 1-5. Second pick Shodai for memes, and I'll throw Ura in third because I like him, but I never expect Ura to amaze. Mitakeumi is an interesting pick at this tier. He recently had his first KK in a year. Is he over the slump? I really need more than one tournament to believe again. Would not be surprised if he got off to a very good start at this ranking though.

This was probably the most I've had to consider the 6-10 rank. There's a very good mix of up and coming stars and long timers who are maybe injured and/or need a break. Tamawashi and Takayasu always feel like they're within striking distance of yusho and starting this low means they could build some momentum. On the other hand, you have three young lads who've all had 10+ tournaments in the last year in Oho, Kinbozan, and Hokuseiho. I feel like a lot of people will have studied Hokuseiho, so if he doesn't come to this tournament with more of a game plan than 'Be big' he might be hosed.

At M11+, it is hard not to be excited about the new prodigy. After that, I always give ups to Kotoeko because that small dude puts on a show. Then, I feel Bushozan is a corporeal successor to the hamster.