Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I hate using my phone for non-phone things. I only got a smartphone in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ok this is hilarious

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1677025203291840514?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah I don't want anything from facebook installed on my computer.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dr_rat posted:

Yeah I don't want anything from facebook installed on my computer.

Cooties

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Clarste posted:

Someone mentioned the computational costs of generating a list but I can't imagine that that's actually relevant.

Last I read, when someone posts something on Facebook, it fans out to an incoming queue for each of their followers that collect together, in chronological order, all the recent posts from everyone they follow. So when you pull up your feed, it's pulling from your queue and prioritizing the elements to decide what to show and in what order while mixing in the promoted content that comes from a separate request. I'm not sure where the idea that they're reusing database requests between multiple users is coming from given your feed isn't primarily constructed from database requests. It's a bespoke system for shuttling content between users specifically built to avoid computationally expensive open-ended database requests. They could show you a chronological list of followed content if they wanted to, for less computational cost than the prioritization they do, but they charge for higher placement so they don't.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

He's one of the biggest slacktivists on the planet. No, quote tweeting Trump and others' tweets to get in a pithy one-liner isn't doing any good. It just spreads their message and plays into their claims that the Left is picking on them. Being mad on Twitter for internet points isn't important.

His nephew kicks rear end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl_8W-WtMcc

Any loving questions?!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Clarste posted:

"Engagement" is not the same as enjoying. Do not buy into their framing of it.

Where does "entergagement" fall?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
People say social media just farms doom scrolling, but that only seemed like a Twitter thing to me. Facebook and the other Meta networks are "ads thinly disguised as things your friends might share". I'll scroll past a bad meme on Instagram or Facebook and do a double-take because it looks like something one of my dumb acquaintances I followed years ago and didn't bother to unfollow might post. It harvests your data and your friends' data and things you looked at in the store and things you talked about our loud to show you things that keep you engaged with the platform. Twitter was an echo chamber of people on both the left and right screaming into the void. Nextdoor is for boomers to complain about helicopters and fireworks and occasionally share a Back in My Day style post.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Telsa Cola posted:

This is a fun generational thing because here I am thinking what psychopath browses social media (or a forum) on a browser in 2023.

People who touch-type.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cataffy posted:

His nephew kicks rear end
Any loving questions?!

Also his daughter is Katie Tiedrich who writes Awkward Zombie which was a fact that I was surprised to read. How does it feel to be a webcomic artist with the biggest poster in the world as a dad.

"Honey are you ever going to get a real job" "idk dad are you"

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 6, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

People say social media just farms doom scrolling, but that only seemed like a Twitter thing to me. Facebook and the other Meta networks are "ads thinly disguised as things your friends might share". I'll scroll past a bad meme on Instagram or Facebook and do a double-take because it looks like something one of my dumb acquaintances I followed years ago and didn't bother to unfollow might post. It harvests your data and your friends' data and things you looked at in the store and things you talked about our loud to show you things that keep you engaged with the platform. Twitter was an echo chamber of people on both the left and right screaming into the void. Nextdoor is for boomers to complain about helicopters and fireworks and occasionally share a Back in My Day style post.

The algorithm shows you the stuff you interact with the most, and the SA politics forums are pretty much entirely populated by doomscrollers so that's what they think the algorithm is. That goes for Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and any other algorithmically-driven platform. There's plenty of boomers who've descended into doomscroller madness on Facebook and now they sit in private groups full of concentrated poison and hate. On the other hand, there's plenty of Twitter users who don't see any ragebait at all on the algorithmic feeds, because they just look at art or whatever and never click on political stuff.

Twitter tends to be worse because it makes sharing so easy not just on-site but even off-site, allowing the infected to spread the tasty ragebait even to people who don't use Twitter at all. If you don't have a Facebook account, you can't see poo poo on Facebook. But even if you don't have a Twitter account, that's not going to stop the dumbest person in your friendgroup from reposting tweets to your fave Discord channels or forum threads or whatever, shoving that clickbait in front of your face complete with a link to tempt you to click on it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh and in response to the threat of a lawsuit over Meta allegedly hiring some ex-Twitter people-

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/1677036691901788160?s=20

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

People who touch-type.

Also this. Writing on the phone is like hunting and pecking at a keyboard for me, mindnumbingly slow and error-prone.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It is pretty funny that Facebook had a Twitter clone locked and loaded to release as soon as Twitter did something *really* stupid. It's not like they put it together overnight.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
People complain about "the algorithm", but they don't want no algorithm, they just don't want the current corporation ad-centric algorithm. That's one of many reasons they bounced off Mastodon, whether they admit it or not. What they really want is an algorithm that serves their own personal interests, specifically, whether that's pushing their preferred political agenda, selling their personal #BrandTM, owning the libs, or even just farming social metric dopamine hits.

The real value of a platform like Twitter is that there's no walls. People want their views and opinions and content and whatever shoved in the faces of people who didn't ask for it so that they're forced to engage with it, even in a negative way. What's the point of freedom of speech and expression, if no one is listening? Twitter forces people to listen to you, that's the secret sauce.

For a specific, somewhat more benign example, talk to any artist on Twitter about it. While they love art-centric platforms to confer with other artists, they admit they need Twitter to promote their work to non-artists aka their actual customers, who are by definition outside their usual social circles.

People who complain about the algorithm are really just upset it doesn't promote their own agenda first and foremost, not that it exists at all.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tree Reformat posted:

People who complain about the algorithm are really just upset it doesn't promote their own agenda first and foremost, not that it exists at all.

This is a broad generalization since the clearest examples you give are people who are using social media as a factor of a business rather than simply browsing it. A person who isn't relying on anyone outside their chosen circle seeing their posts isn't a hypocrite when complaining about other poo poo being shoved onto their feed. If they wanted to engage with a broader audience they could seek out a popular thread and start posting there.

Mastodon's issue wasn't that it didn't catch on because it lacked an algorithm, it didn't catch on because it was too complicated for Your Dad to use it and therefore was DOA, especially once the privacy issues with server owners became apparents

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 6, 2023

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

CuddleCryptid posted:

A person who isn't relying on anyone outside their chosen circle seeing their posts isn't a hypocrite when complaining about other poo poo being shoved onto their feed.

But they are! Every time you post anything, anywhere (even here on SA, like we are right this moment!), you are trying to sell, at the very least, your opinion to an audience and hoping for engagement in return. The only people your position applies to are true lurkers who never, ever post a single thing themselves.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tree Reformat posted:

But they are! Every time you post anything, anywhere (even here on SA, like we are right this moment!), you are trying to sell, at the very least, your opinion to an audience and hoping for engagement in return. The only people your position applies to are true lurkers who never, ever post a single thing themselves.

SA is a website that is what it is, one where posts are read and commented on by all. It's not social media, which by its definition used to imply a degree of familiarity between the participants.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I dunno. I'd not posted anything to twitter in the last... 5ish years and had only used Nitter to pull out RSS feeds for artists to follow, which is algorithmless and just a timeline feed.

With Nitter being broken now I'm not even looking at twitter's content in any way, shape, or form aside from embeds people post on here/discord.

I've engaged with people more on Mastodon in the last few months than I have on Twitter in the last 5 years despite the lack of algorithm.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Tree Reformat posted:

Most people don't tweet. A small proportion of serial tweeters make up essentially all tweets.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

koolkal posted:

Most people don't tweet. A small proportion of serial tweeters make up essentially all tweets.

Yeah, 25% of users make up 99% of tweets while the other 75% have a rounded mean of zero tweets per month. It's staggering how many people online simply do not post.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tree Reformat posted:

Yeah and in the case of most social media, for most people, the specific audience they're hoping for is "people they actually know, who are following them/friends with them/whatever because they actually know them."

The archetypal "just has lunch at x" poster isn't looking for algorithmic Engagement they just want to let people they actually know know what they're up to.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

CuddleCryptid posted:

Also his daughter is Katie Tiedrich who writes Awkward Zombie which was a fact that I was surprised to read. How does it feel to be a webcomic artist with the biggest poster in the world as a dad.

"Honey are you ever going to get a real job" "idk dad are you"

Isn't Katie like, a literal rocket scientist?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

Entirely possible, I thought she had some sort of engineering thing but also thought I was confusing her with Angela Melick. If so then she works too much

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

whydirt posted:

Hadn't heard of this until now. More mud in Musk's eye at the very least.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/black-twitter-users-spill-app-rcna92456

Considering Elon’s background I’m surprised he didn’t personally build the walled garden for black people

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah, 25% of users make up 99% of tweets while the other 75% have a rounded mean of zero tweets per month. It's staggering how many people online simply do not post.

Lucky bastards

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hadji murad posted:

Considering Elon’s background I’m surprised he didn’t personally build the walled garden for black people

I'm reminded how Vine got bought up and then killed by Facebook for being too popular with black people, and then shocked pikachu face when TikTok replaced it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Shadowlyger posted:

Yup, when she isn't making comics or playing video games she is an actual rocket scientist. This is a real thing, she has an engineering degree and has made parts for things that have gone into space. Katie Tiedrich is a cool lady.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded how Vine got bought up and then killed by Facebook for being too popular with black people, and then shocked pikachu face when TikTok replaced it.
It was bought by Twitter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

greatBigJerk posted:

It was bought by Twitter.

For some reason I'm always mixing that up.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
one thing I'm seeing that'll probably prevent a chunk of potentiality twitter to threads migrations is the fact that threads doesn't allow nsfw stuff

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/davecobb/status/1677106487662100481?s=20

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

That's a strange coincidence, this morning I woke up and decided that I was going to ignore my phone, leave it on my nightstand, and do things. By another strange coincidence, I feel much more refreshed and happy today than I usually do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

one thing I'm seeing that'll probably prevent a chunk of potentiality twitter to threads migrations is the fact that threads doesn't allow nsfw stuff

Oh, yep, they're dead.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if twitter's Actual Final Death involves the site banning nsfw stuff for some reason (apple throws its weight around in response to twitter's vastly reduced clout?)

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

They're not only not allowing it if they're running it the way they do FB they're actively hostile against it

https://twitter.com/mistressmatisse/status/1676763121330028544

combine that with uhhh privacy concerns and Threads should be DOA

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 9, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That story is almost certainly bogus and you’ll figure it out if you spend about ten seconds thinking about it.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Vegetable posted:

That story is almost certainly bogus and you’ll figure it out if you spend about ten seconds thinking about it.

Can you explain for people like me who have brains that are shaped like cubes and live in a permanent state of obliviousness?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

NAME REDACTED posted:

Can you explain for people like me who have brains that are shaped like cubes and live in a permanent state of obliviousness?
if you have two accounts, one JANE NORMALLADY and one MISTRESS SEXCREEP you don't log in to one and see the other. they're tied (ideally) to different emails and never intersected before today. why would Facebook merge then now?

she probably just posted horny on main and made a dumb excuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

facebook tracks absolutely loving everything, up to and including which devices use which accounts. it is not far-fetched to assume that the threads app grabbed details from both accounts associated with the device in question

Shrecknet posted:

MISTRESS SEXCREEP

also it loving sucks that you're portraying sex workers as creeps, hth