Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I hope Petra Collins does all her videos from here on out, g4u and brutal’s were so much better than the rest from Sour and an entire album cycle where the two of them can really make everything cohesive would be great

edit: I want to make a clip of her saying “look at you, cool guy, you got it” into my text tone

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Very kind of Olivia to come and save pop music for 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like it. Almost feels like it belongs in a stage musical more than as a pop single though. Peak theatre kid Olivia!!!!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Man she's really good at this. I would normally be like "eh whatever teen drama" but she makes it sound so good. The arrangement is really creative.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Olivia is really good at using curses in her music

https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1674632661837520896?s=20

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Paradoxically she's also good at making clean versions that don't sound awful

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/chartdata/status/1674809192660496385?s=46&t=JsbrXZLeMaksMidW9RvL9A

STOP SLEEPING ON HER ALREADY YOU FUCKS

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Paradoxically she's also good at making clean versions that don't sound awful

100% agree Taylor’s clean version of Midnight songs also were good

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’d like to apologize to Bonnie McKee, her new song is a bop. (Also apparently after her first attempt at making it big ended she had a meth habit?! Which is when she met Katy Perry!?)

https://youtu.be/98F0oGjOZbY

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Olivia is really good at using curses in her music

She is but also she has a ways to go before she’s even close to the queen of sweary pop music (Kesha)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

DC Murderverse posted:

I’d like to apologize to Bonnie McKee, her new song is a bop. (Also apparently after her first attempt at making it big ended she had a meth habit?! Which is when she met Katy Perry!?)

i see someone else reads The Number Ones by Stereogum

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I like the new Olivia song but it sounds like a rehash of Happier Than Ever. Still good tho.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Shocking: Song about being taken advantage of by an older man has a lot in common with a different song about getting taken advantage of by an older man.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It doesn't sound anything like Happier Than Ever

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah the more salient comparison is Driver's License. It is essentially an amped up version of that formula. But like, very amped.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Happier Than Ever is a song that slowly builds up rage. Vampire on the other hand drips with venom from the start and never lets up.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Rexha's prepared.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rarity posted:

It doesn't sound anything like Happier Than Ever

Yeah I have no idea what that person is on. It sounds very little like happier than ever.

TurnipFritter posted:

Rexha's prepared.

Also prepared: Adele, who is unafraid to cut a bitch if necessary

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have no doubt Adele could and possibly has shanked someone.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

somnambulist posted:

I like the new Olivia song but it sounds like a rehash of Happier Than Ever. Still good tho.

Imo better than that song

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Saw Carly tonight and she is still incredible live :D Beach House is so good

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/carlyraejepsen/status/1676970117694103552?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

quote:

It’s been the loneliest time, it’s been the loveliest time.
After a season of hibernation comes the season of blossoming🌻. I got to know loneliness and discover the beauty in it. The loneliest time taught me that growth comes from being planted in darkness. But now the world has opened itself back up again and in turn so have we. It’s time for celebration and for all the lessons we have learned to burst into joyful action. The Loveliest Time…

At this point you know me so well that I won’t even tease about a b sides. It’s almost disrespectful because you know that it’s coming. And in fact this is the time to announce that it’s here. It’s done and a month from now The Loveliest Time will be all yours. I can’t really call it a b sides as if these were cast off ideas - it’s the completed set to a body of work that taught me so much about love and loneliness and myself.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

No more doing things on mattresses

Edit: I went to look at the Speak Now TV merch on a lark because I haven’t really liked most of the merch from the rereleases but jokes on me I just spent too much money on this rad hoodie

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 6, 2023

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It works

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

This is Taylor condoning girls who steal toys on the playground, cancellation here we come

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unnecessary tbh but it works really well.

Really excited for this in a few hours!!!! happy birthday to meeeeee

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
This popped up on Youtube and I thought it was neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHWKGi1S5Fk

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1677080974537154561?s=20

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Junpei posted:

This popped up on Youtube and I thought it was neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHWKGi1S5Fk

Ooh this sounds like a Chromatics song

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Taylor Swift & Fall Out Boy collab:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMPK2vNXr-E

Taylor Swift & Hayley Williams collab:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V80A8qN4fR8

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
DROP EVERYTHING NOW

MEET ME IN THE POURING RAIN

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
It's Tay Day :dance:

I haven't gotten to the Paramore and Fall Out Boy songs yet. I'm listening to the album in the order God intended :colbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is the first one so far where I feel like it doesn’t immediately inherently surpass the original recording for me. A lot of the title track and a few other moments are like more “self-aware” in a way that kind of goes against the childish earnestness of the original which is something I really grew to love about it. I mean I still will never listen to the original now because gently caress Scooter Braun but I’ll actually miss some parts of it. Also this is definitely just me knowing this album better than Fearless and Red but I notice the changes in like vocals and guitar tones way way more and overall the vocals are lower in the mix which takes a little getting used to. The guitar kinda overpowers the strings in Enchanted which makes it feels more country and less like “the ultimate fairytale song”. Better Than Revenge however I think is improved in basically every way.

But minor issues aside the album rules and this version rules too, this was the one I was most anticipating and it absolutely delivers

The FOB and Hayley vault tracks are cool, will listen to the rest later

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Now that the lyrics of Better than Revenge are no longer anti-Mattress Things, Innocent is free to be the most cringe song by no narrow margin on the album

It’s extra funny now given who Kanye West has blossomed into

edit: serious critique I think the production sounds deeper and more varied but maybe not always to the benefit of every song. There’s a youthful energy to her vocals in songs like Mine and Mean that’s definitely different. The originals always sounded very flat mixing-wise so it’s definitely an improvement in that respect. Honestly the more rock-inflected songs are the most improved by adult Taylor’s vocals. Haunted sounds great, almost like a baby Evanescence track

Enchanted still rules

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 7, 2023

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is the most different sounding Taylor version we have gotten so far and it’s incredible

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I hope she starts closing Eras shows with Long Live again because Jesus when you write a “love my fans” song that good why would you ever close a show with anything else

Also in addition to Haunted, Never Grow Up got a huge glow-up, 32 year old Taylor singing a song written by 20 year old Taylor to 12 year old Taylor is a real heartwrencher.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Never Grow Up, Better Than Revenge, and Haunted are all super improved

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Instant takes on the new Vault tracks:

Electric Touch - sounds like an exact midpoint between pop-rock Taylor and Folie a Deux FOB
When Emma Falls In Love - imagine getting to write a love song for Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield, the greatest lost love of our generation. Only Taylor Swift could do that justice.
I Can See You - oh poo poo Taylor made a 2000s indie blog rock song this rules
Castles Crumbling - lyrically this is proto-Reputation, musically it doesn’t feel powerful enough for Hayley’s cameo to be necessary
Foolish One - this on the other hand feels like a Fearless leftover, very blah
Timeless - this is the one that most actually feels like a genuine Speak Now b-side, which is to say it’s fine but it was left off for a reason

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Was having a TS discussion with friends that ended up with me ranking my favourites by her:

1 All Too Well (10 Minute Version)
2 The Last Great American Dynasty
3 Style
4 Enchanted
5 Exile
6 Betty
7 Call It What You Want
8 New Romantics
9 Sparks Fly
10 Anti-Hero
11 Better Than Revenge
12 Champagne Problems
13 Wildest Dreams
14 Midnight Rain
15 Lavender Haze
16 Begin Again

judge away MFers

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

bump up Champagne Problems a few places imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I don't have a large list, but "August," "I Wish You Would" and "Delicate" would be on the list because I'm not a philistine.