Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Iso Numero = Big Number, a magazine about charity topics; it's sold for 5€ with a scheme that homeless people and others who'd otherwise have to resort to begging can sell the magazine in the streets and keep... all of the money? Part of it? I'm not entirely sure.

ANSU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Green Intern posted:

1. They really sent those kids to juvie.
2. I thought Thorp's former assistant coach was leaving for another school, or a lower-grade coaching position at the same school, not being a cop.

Sent to juvie for selling vapes, IIRC, which seems like the kind of thing you just get fined for?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Awful Children and Easter, Two Horrible Plots That Go Poorly Together

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Bogor

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Giant Ethicist posted:

After School Ghost Stories

My not translating the sound effect might make it a little unclear, but Viewpoint Guy accidentally punched the telephone pole.
I got that bit. The transition from "are you ok" to saying goodbye and walking in opposite directions seems a little sudden though.

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

Iso Numero = Big Number, a magazine about charity topics; it's sold for 5€ with a scheme that homeless people and others who'd otherwise have to resort to begging can sell the magazine in the streets and keep... all of the money? Part of it? I'm not entirely sure.
Took me a moment to notice the broken sign in the background and figure out what the joke was.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

:butt:

Well, that's a little dark.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

This is slowly turning into Funky Winkerbean-levels of misery.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

"Gee whiz, Bets, I liked it better when you were the only one inconveniencing herself for the sake of our relationship"

Gunther called Brad because he thought he could help in fixing up the van, and Toni sounds like she knows exactly what she's doing. Least he can do is have some faith in her.

And if he's already complaining like this when the trip hasn't even begun, I'd hate to see what he'd be like when they're on the road.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

The way plots are set-up in nuTrail are so clunky. I know some newspaper comics have seat-of-the-pants writing and still manage to be entertaining like Invisible Scarlett O'Neil, but nuTrail just doesn't pull it off. Just seems like making it is a chore to Jules and she doesn't bother sitting down and making any plans on what to write.

Hostile V posted:

Awful Children and Easter, Two Horrible Plots That Go Poorly Together

Goddamn, I am so sick and tired of Holbrook and his Easter plots. What's really funny is that with the way you post a batch of strips a day, it takes about a month or two for us to get through another year of Hellworld comics and so the Easter plots feel even more repetitive.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

He looks like that loving fish head comic, you know the one.

AAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAA

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Jun 21-24, 1958)

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 16-19, 1993)

Big Nate

Dropping Dunce for now. I like it but digging through the guy's social media for strips is kind of a pain.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 03, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

The Lockhorns go to many, MANY more parties than my girlfriend and I do. :( (On the positive side, we don't fight quite as much.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Comic Strips 2023: Too long for it be pee and too short for it be poop.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Crabgrass is cute and fun and I enjoy it, but yeah I only got two complaints: the arcs go on a little too long and it also seems kind of inconsistent about being set in the 80s. I can't cite any specific strip, I just feel like there have been more than a few anachronisms
There's been the odd Pokemon and Pokemon cards reference for sure. If it was consistently 80s it would probably be about Garbage Pail Kids or Top Trumps.

I don't mind so much that Tauhid is doing lengthy storyarcs, it's just that he's very good at the day-to-day mundane kid situation strips and just so-so at these magical realism arcs, so whenever one pops up it feels like he's overreaching. Then again, if "not quite as good as the usual stuff" is the worst you can say about them, that's still in the top 5 of the comics page.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 16-19, 1993)

Ah, this Calvin and Hobbes. That one stuck with me a lot as a kid. And still does.

Also, that Arlo and Janis is whatconservativeviews.jpg. And it is over twenty years old!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't mind so much that Tauhid is doing lengthy storyarcs, it's just that he's very good at the day-to-day mundane kid situation strips and just so-so at these magical realism arcs, so whenever one pops up it feels like he's overreaching. Then again, if "not quite as good as the usual stuff" is the worst you can say about them, that's still in the top 5 of the comics page.
Also, considering his youth as a cartoonist, it's a great sign that he's trying to stretch for narrative variety instead of settling into a rut of easy strips.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"Looking forward" to Big Nate breaking up with his girlfriend for the crime of dating before meeting him. Or this set up could not be used to forward one of the oldest and stupidest relationship cliches. Ball is in your court, author.

Seconding that Crabgrass still good and that Arlos and Janis always great, nailing this kinda thing 20 years ago, god drat. And Sally Forth getting a bit too crapsack world in general. I don't read it too much but now that I think about it has there been a single storyline where Sally was happy in like a year? Trouble at work(friend becomes boss and petty and vindictive), trouble with mom, get a windfall and immediately waste it on a bad vacation. drat.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(May 6, 1917)

Little Nemo(September 30, 1906) timg'd because at least he doesn't talk

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I like the magical realism stuff in Crabgrass. I suspect the pacing will seem much better in collections than it does in day-to-day strips (as it does with Prince Valiant!). I wonder how many kids really read strips day to day versus in books. I know I read Calvin & Hobbes as it came out way back when, but I also had, and preferred, the collections.

Samovar posted:

Ah, this Calvin and Hobbes. That one stuck with me a lot as a kid. And still does.

Yeah that's one that really sticks in your mind. I remember Watterson saying he got a lot of letters about it in the 10th anniversary book.

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 16, 1958)

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

amigolupus posted:

Goddamn, I am so sick and tired of Holbrook and his Easter plots. What's really funny is that with the way you post a batch of strips a day, it takes about a month or two for us to get through another year of Hellworld comics and so the Easter plots feel even more repetitive.

What's worse is I'm pretty sure these threads are old enough that I specifically remember this one when it happened.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

What’s the buttfruit?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

What’s the buttfruit?

It's a peach.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Well, I found another set of Charlier-Giraud Westerns that I could translate... But I feel a mite unsure about translating it since it deals more specifically around the post-war South, with all associated unpleasantnesses one could expect from such a setting.

So, I was wondering. Would Blacksad be considerable for the thread? It certainly couldn't be worse then Helbrook's stuff...

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

manero posted:

Pluggers

i dont' like the way that cat is looking at those pliers

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wait, Jughead used to just be a regular name? It's not a nickname?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Weembles posted:

It's a peach.
Little more heart-shaped and a different color than I would make it but I see it now. I thought it might be some Asian fruit I’m not familiar with.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 03, 2001)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFGQdvYIJ0M

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1050391663552671744

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (July 26, 1935)

Peanuts (July 9, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 9, 1940)

Out Our Way (March 30-April 1, 1942)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Murdstone posted:

Little more heart-shaped and a different color than I would make it but I see it now. I thought it might be some Asian fruit I’m not familiar with.
It's specifically a reference to the story of Momotaro, who was born from a giant peach an old couple found floating down a river. (the comic then turns it into a joke of all sorts of fruit floating down the river)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

ryde