Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
How is the Dragon Dawn content for AoW 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Argh, I have a real good game of Distant Worlds 2 going, but the performance just becomes absolutely untenable 6 hours in. and it's one of those annoying things where it goes from like 50fps down to 12fps and then to 25fps and then repeats

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Mayveena posted:

How is the Dragon Dawn content for AoW 4?

Someone just asked in the AoW4 thread, you can check out the response here. But the short of it is it adds some new variety to the game, and if you enjoyed it but put it down when it started feeling same-y you'll get a few more games out of it, but if the game didn't hook you in the first place the DLC probably won't change that.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
it is literally insane that in the Year of the Lord of Hosts and Lights 2023 that there isn't a starting option for 'randomized' galaxy and 'lore-based' galaxy in Stellaris

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
There probably isn't a concept of 'lore-based' in terms of positioning or anything. I doubt they've thought of it.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

How's the Master of Magic remake these days? I remember it launched with some problems, but I know they were working on patches.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

played 5 mins of northguard and it seems like a spiritual successor to settlers, which i like

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The Master of Magic remake is steady going, albeit slow. They even added a new race (Goblins in Myrror) and wizards to the game.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

FuzzySlippers posted:

How's the Master of Magic remake these days? I remember it launched with some problems, but I know they were working on patches.

It's good but it's really slow and city-spammy. I think a lot of modern conveniences in gaming have spoiled me because I feel that there are some things that Master of Magic that they could have overhauled somewhat. If it wasn't for the Spell of Mastery component, I would have probably quit in the late-game stage out of boredom of how much of a slog the micromanagement becomes.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I've been kind of disappointed in how Sins of a Solar Empire 2 has been developing. It doesn't look much different from Sins: Rebellion except for some minor engine tweaks and a new UI.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've been trying to get my head around Stellaris after not playing since launch? Oddly I have most expansions except the last four. Is it me not understanding the game or is the start glacially slow?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Depending what you mean by the start it definitely can be. A lot comes down to your spawn and your neighbors, and there are enough permutations these days that it’s kind of a toss up. You can crank up the galaxy density or aggressiveness to make the start a little spicier, but sometimes you just get boxed in between two devouring swarms or whatever and it’s probably gonna be a bad time

Overall though I think the initial exploration phase of the game often being pretty quiet is intended.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I'm getting into Stellaris now too after several years off. On my 4th restart, 2 restarts necessitated by a kinda boring area around me. I turned up galaxy aggression to high from normal and that made more than half of the empires xenophobic militarists compared to normal 2-3. Having more fun with that though the start was a bit dicey with a strong start aggressive neighbor.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you need to turn AIs to max in galaxy generation to limit the length of the exploration phase or it lasts way too long. i also like 3x gateways and 2x wormholes to interconnect the galaxy faster and in more complicated ways so the AIs have more chances to get angry at each other in the midgame.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is Water Baroning any good nowadays?

I misread this as Water Boarding and though "drat, these CHOAM dukes are getting hardcore".

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I bought the MoM remake and it didn't click with me. It seemed faithful enough (I put hundreds of hours into the original but it's probably been 10 years since I've played) but felt bare bones. Kinda like a good fan remake, but not enough for the price. Needs lots of polish.

I refunded and bought AoW 4 even though I could never get into a couple of the old AoW games I played previously. It seems pretty great! Still figuring it out but the game ate my whole evening before I realized it. Has a lot of MoM DNA in it but is a very slick game. Surprisingly good controller support so it plays well on the Deck.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh wow, looks like they just announced DLC for the MoM remake. The trailer has nothing but the Steam page basically says it's going to be themed around blending technology and magic together, plus a new race.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've played a bunch of The Battle of Polytopia recently and it had an interesting twist on a 4X that I haven't see before.
You couldn't build cities. Cities are pre-seeded on a map and start neutral, but can be converted to a side by military units. The fact that the only way to control territory, and thus be able to exploit it, is to have a city project a zone of control is the part that adds an interesting wrinkle to it.

Are there any other 4X games that do anything similar?
Technically a lot of Space 4Xs and Grand Strategy games have similar but Space 4Xs allow you to take control of empty space, and Grand Strategy maps are pre-made rather than generated, so it's not really the same.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Old World also uses pre-generated city sites.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah Old World is what came to mind for me. It’s just an amazing 4x in general.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

There's a map option in Age of Wonders 4 that basically does that. There's also a One City Challenge option where you can only build outposts (they claim a small amount of territory but don't do pretty much anything else a city does). And even the base gameplay has pretty strict limits on the number of cities you can build, though not where you can build them.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Jack Trades posted:

I've played a bunch of The Battle of Polytopia recently and it had an interesting twist on a 4X that I haven't see before.
You couldn't build cities. Cities are pre-seeded on a map and start neutral, but can be converted to a side by military units. The fact that the only way to control territory, and thus be able to exploit it, is to have a city project a zone of control is the part that adds an interesting wrinkle to it.

Technically a lot of Space 4Xs and Grand Strategy games have similar but Space 4Xs allow you to take control of empty space, and Grand Strategy maps are pre-made rather than generated, so it's not really the same.

Humankind has a sort of variation on this where settleable regions are predetermined and you have to build outposts inside them to claim them. And it doesn’t matter where you plop your outpost WRT claiming territory (but it matters for other reasons.) So it isn’t like Civ’s “plop a city within X tiles of what you want.”

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

Theocracy does: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2195530/Theocracy/ but it is weird in general.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I really don't like how Stellaris is slowly turning from vague, write-your-own-story origins into streamlined origins with predefined story (most late DLC origins). If I wanted 4X game focused on story and predefined lore, I would play Endless Space 2.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Szarrukin posted:

I really don't like how Stellaris is slowly turning from vague, write-your-own-story origins into streamlined origins with predefined story (most late DLC origins). If I wanted 4X game focused on story and predefined lore, I would play Endless Space 2.

It feels like Paradox has been trying to work more story and semi-linear quest-type content into all of their map games. The mission trees in EU and HOI have kind of a choose-your-own-adventure feel where you meet goals and get story bits and rewards (often something to point you to your next goal like free territorial claims). The journal entries in Vicky 3 work pretty similarly. I wonder if it's because they're hiring from the mod community (or just looking at what popular modders are making). A lot of the big total conversion mods for Paradox games focus heavily on hand-crafted event chains and minimize the normal game elements.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Oh wow, Knights of Honor has a sequel! (after 19 years!)

And it's on a pretty hefty discount. It came out last year but it's only because of the Sale that I noticed.

For some reason the original always stuck with me, I'd go back to it from time to time. Honestly though, judging from the screenshots, it doesn't look like the empire management gameplay has changed at all, rather there's been a focus on the tactical combat (the bit that appeals least to me). I think I'l line up a let's play on youtube but I ain't committing to giving this one a go just yet.

Graphics look awesome though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Szarrukin posted:

Actually the fact that Stellaris is implementing a cool thing that only like, Alpha Centauri and Endless series do, is cool and good.

The generic origins haven't gone anywhere, if you don't like the ones with storylines.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Microplastics posted:

And it's on a pretty hefty discount. It came out last year but it's only because of the Sale that I noticed.

For some reason the original always stuck with me, I'd go back to it from time to time. Honestly though, judging from the screenshots, it doesn't look like the empire management gameplay has changed at all, rather there's been a focus on the tactical combat (the bit that appeals least to me). I think I'l line up a let's play on youtube but I ain't committing to giving this one a go just yet.

Considering the original an almost perfect game, with an insane soundtrack, I've been eyeing the sequel for a while now. Reports of bugs aplenty and a crash-prone multiplayer has stayed my hand so far.

Just the fact that it -has- multiplayer, that isn't just a combat skirmish, has me excited for it still.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Jack Trades posted:

Actually the fact that Stellaris is implementing a cool thing that only like, Alpha Centauri and Endless series do, is cool and good.

The generic origins haven't gone anywhere, if you don't like the ones with storylines.

A lot of games tried to do the "4X but with story!" thing, like GalCiv or, lately, Pegasus Expedition, but it usually isn't neither cool nor good.

I'm just salty that good origins, like Payback, are restrained by story. Replacing MSI with random advanced empire would only add replayability.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I just want Alpha Centauri with modern controls. That's it, that's all I want.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Theotus posted:

I just want Alpha Centauri with modern controls. That's it, that's all I want.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jel Shaker posted:

played 5 mins of northguard and it seems like a spiritual successor to settlers, which i like
Are there backflipping geologists?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

One thing I think is really cool with Stellaris is how you can lose a war completely without losing the game, and even if you lose several wars you often still have the option to become a subject rather than outright losing the campaign.

Are there any other 4Xes that allow for partial loss like that? Most of the ones I can think of have the war always end up in the complete destruction of one of the parties, or maybe sometimes a draw if it's really fancy.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You can become a Vassal in Civ 4 and 5. Then, if you manage to grow bigger than the master civilization, you can break free.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The secret of Alpha Centauri is that the story is pure flavour text. You don't have the weird artificiality of these modern games shoe horning in "events", so it feels a whole lot better.

Of course, the real problem with the storyline events in most of these games is that their writing is horseshit.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Megazver posted:

You can become a Vassal in Civ 4 and 5. Then, if you manage to grow bigger than the master civilization, you can break free.

And even then, the AI in 5/6 seems content with taking just one city, not all of your stuff.

Although how you manage losing a city in 6, let alone a war, after getting walls is a mystery.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Microplastics posted:

The game is good, but... it's more of an HD remake to run on modern computers than a sequel, really. There are changes and they're generally all improvements - but they're also the kind of subtle changes you won't notice if you haven't fired up the original game recently to compare. The kind that come in a patch in some other games.

This leaves it in a really weird spot where it's pretty good and still a pretty unique change of pace, but it still does feel like booting up a 20 year old game, dated in a way where there's really not that much to complain about* but is just missing something when compared to modern competitors.

* Okay, maybe I'll complain about them not doing enough to make the tactical battles actually good.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

One thing I think is really cool with Stellaris is how you can lose a war completely without losing the game, and even if you lose several wars you often still have the option to become a subject rather than outright losing the campaign.

Are there any other 4Xes that allow for partial loss like that? Most of the ones I can think of have the war always end up in the complete destruction of one of the parties, or maybe sometimes a draw if it's really fancy.

Master of Orion 3 does this: As long as the AI isn't hateful and bitter enough to refuse, you can, in theory, even completely surrender without any ill effect. Both sides will just end up neutral again.

The AI of course will only ask for peace if it is truly and completely hosed, so this is more of an interesting idea than a fully functional feature.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Age of Wonders 4 allows vassalizing, it's possible to become a vassal, and later break free

hilariously you do it by getting your overlord to trust you, which I guess kinda makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

They're not exactly 4Xs but obviously all the other Paradox games do this. In Crusader Kings you can even become a vassal and use politics to eventually take the throne of your liege.