Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Skeezy posted:

It could man, for you they might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Head Bee Guy posted:

I've a early 2015 macbook pro with the i7 and 16gb of ram running Catalina. Would upgrading to Monteray cause any performance dips or potential compatibility issues?

Have the same machine and I even upgraded it to an NVMe drive, only keep the original drive for future possible visits to Apple.

Even with the storage upgrade (to 1 TB from stock 512 GB) under Monterey it runs hotter and appreciably slower than it did in Catalina.. probably due to the woefully inadequate (IMHO) dual core CPU.

Compatibility wise it depends on whether or not your apps were written with Monterey in mind or not.

If it's Microsoft Office apps only that you have to worry about, I wouldn't worry.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

Have the same machine and I even upgraded it to an NVMe drive, only keep the original drive for future possible visits to Apple.

Even with the storage upgrade (to 1 TB from stock 512 GB) under Monterey it runs hotter and appreciably slower than it did in Catalina.. probably due to the woefully inadequate (IMHO) dual core CPU.

Compatibility wise it depends on whether or not your apps were written with Monterey in mind or not.

If it's Microsoft Office apps only that you have to worry about, I wouldn't worry.

I primarily use this machine in 'desktop mode', i.e. closed, so additional heat will definitely be an issue.

I gotta get a new lappy at some point soon, but shelling out ~$2k to get one without a touchbar and 2tb of storage is a tough pill to swallow

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is there no longer a free/easy way to pipe microphone audio back through for monitoring?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

Is there no longer a free/easy way to pipe microphone audio back through for monitoring?

I’ve tried everything I could find and just ended up buying a blue yeti used.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

AlternateAccount posted:

Not free but pretty easy way is to get an audio interface. A couple good options that aren't absurdly priced are the Behringer 202HD and the Scarlett Solo. They also generally have very competent DACs and headphone amps, allow you to plug in two separate audio inputs, and have stereo out if you want to hook them up to a pair of bookshelf speakers or something.

They support XLR and 1/4" jack line inputs, giving you a bunch of flexibility for mic choice, too. But, this is probably extreme overkill for what you need.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 7, 2023

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
I snoozed... but I would like to try it. Been on the wait list for the last month.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Is there a way in MacOS to have the 4th and 5th buttons on my mouse be like doing the mouse gestures (swipe with three fingers) instead of just the back/forward button in browser? Or do I need to download some additional software for this

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Djimi posted:

I snoozed... but I would like to try it. Been on the wait list for the last month.

If you dip into the arc subreddit you'll find a bottomless well of arc links. That's how I got mine!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Getting in on the Arc train: https://arc.net/gift/a1b10bb2

I'm a bit sceptical, but a large part of that stems from sitting on a ridiculously tweaked and modded and customised Firefox install, and some of the behaviours run counter to what I want (in particular in regards to cookie management… but that's again due to addons for Firefox that don't seem to exist for Arc yet), or are just counter-intuitive. The latter is definitely more of a learning or habit issue, though.

It looks compelling enough that I'll probably keep it around and keep track of what extensions show up, but it's a pretty steep uphill battle to completely change how you use something as ingrained as your day-to-day, hour-to-hour browser.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I do really like it, and honestly it wasn't nearly as much of a shift to work with as a lot of the tech blog think pieces will have you believe. If you want to boil it down, it's really just a different way to manage tabs, incentivising you in clever ways to keep your tabs tidy and only hold on to the ones you really need, combined with what I guess is a better way for the browser to be updating/refreshing certain tabs in the background (by treating some websites like your email or docs more like apps).

It took me no time at all to get used to. It's an easier way to pin tabs to your desktop, really.

I always find my way back on Safari though, just because (what I assume is) the chromium building blocks making my M2 MBA running hot and guzzling the battery more than it feels it should.

A lack of keychain support, iPhone integration not being as slick as safari is also holding it back. It's still really cool though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Fists Up posted:

Is there a way in MacOS to have the 4th and 5th buttons on my mouse be like doing the mouse gestures (swipe with three fingers) instead of just the back/forward button in browser? Or do I need to download some additional software for this

You will probably need to install something. What mouse do you have?

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Fists Up posted:

There’s a few different options out there, I use Linear Mouse. It makes using a mouse sane again.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Mac Mouse Fix is also really good and also lets you play with the acceleration a bit.

Edit: I’ve also used steermouse and preferred Mac mouse fix (and not just because it’s free, but that’s a bonus)

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 7, 2023

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Steermouse is the one you want

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Tippis posted:

Awesome! :angel: Thank you.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Wild EEPROM posted:

Steermouse is the one you want

^ I tried them all, and this was the only one that is just rock rock solid

Mos was pretty good for free/open source

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Tippis posted:

I'm a bit sceptical, but a large part of that stems from sitting on a ridiculously tweaked and modded and customised Firefox install, and some of the behaviours run counter to what I want (in particular in regards to cookie management… but that's again due to addons for Firefox that don't seem to exist for Arc yet), or are just counter-intuitive. The latter is definitely more of a learning or habit issue, though.

It looks compelling enough that I'll probably keep it around and keep track of what extensions show up, but it's a pretty steep uphill battle to completely change how you use something as ingrained as your day-to-day, hour-to-hour browser.

I like Firefox, but it's pretty crazy how much more RAM it uses compared to Safari, Arc, and even Chrome - it seems like almost double.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Corb3t posted:

I like Firefox, but it's pretty crazy how much more RAM it uses compared to Safari, Arc, and even Chrome - it seems like almost double.

Really? I feel like I don't worry about RAM anymore, but isn't the usual stereotype that Chromium is the RAM hog?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

101 posted:

Really? I feel like I don't worry about RAM anymore, but isn't the usual stereotype that Chromium is the RAM hog?

It looks like Chrome has made performance improvements on macOS, so maybe that's it? I opened the same three tabs in Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and Arc, and Firefox was clearly the biggest memory hog.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Oh sure. Firefox is and will always remain the hoggiest of hogs, especially with all the extensions and extra scripts and junk you often want to throw on it (because that's one of the reasons to run it to begin with). But then, I'm also on team “I don't care about RAM unless I'm doing production work where the creativity app needs every last bit”, and in those cases, *no* browser would be running anyway. So meh.

But yes, it looks like Arc is pretty svelte in that department — possibly as a direct consequence of how it actually deals with tabs and “spaces” in general.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Safari is still the nicest browsing experience. I’m a firm believer in using safari plus Wipr for most things, and then keeping a Firefox on hand for those dodgier parts of the internet where you need the absolute best possible ad/script/malicious crap blocking, if you’re someone who visits those sorts of places.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Pi-Hole

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
NextDNS let’s you block all the bad parts of the internet without having to buy any new hardware.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Safari is still the nicest browsing experience. I’m a firm believer in using safari plus Wipr for most things, and then keeping a Firefox on hand for those dodgier parts of the internet where you need the absolute best possible ad/script/malicious crap blocking, if you’re someone who visits those sorts of places.

I like Safari, and you can replace *most* essential Chrome extensions if you're willing to spend a few bucks - SponsorBlock, Wipr/Adguard, Clean Links, Hush, etc.

I wish there was some sort of YouTube Enhancer extension, as well as a miniplayer for browser tabs with video playback.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

dexter6 posted:

NextDNS let’s you block all the bad parts of the internet without having to buy any new hardware.

Don’t make me tap the “Don’t run network critical infra on a SD card” sign. You can and should be running Pi-hole in VM if the option is available.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol if you are spending your middle age on these forums there is absolutely no chance you need to buy any new hardware

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
ive been running pihole on an sd card for like 6 years. it's fine

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Install log2ram and call it a day imho :q:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

dexter6 posted:

I run it in a Docker container.
Zero new hardware required v:shobon:v

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
In another "We already know, just RTFM" moment, if you connect an HDMI device over USB-C and for some weird reason you don't get any audio, try opening the MIDI Audio configuration program(which is a dedicated application outside of settings) and enforcing 44.100Khz/16bit/2ch on your HDMI/DisplayPort soft audio device. I lost a few minutes before finding a random guide about it. Why it's not inside of settings, I have no idea.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Kind of a funky question, but for anyone who ever buys/plays games on their Mac, where do you usually buy them? The App Store? Steam? somewhere else?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Probably like 95% Steam, 3% Itch.io, 2% GoG, App Store, direct from devs and anything else.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Small White Dragon posted:

Kind of a funky question, but for anyone who ever buys/plays games on their Mac, where do you usually buy them? The App Store? Steam? somewhere else?

GoG mostly, but only because I refuse to use Steam for ideological reasons (DRM-free or bust!)

Then a bit from the humble store, direct from devs, elsewhere.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Almost exclusively GoG, but that's a direct consequence of my Mac gaming consisting almost exclusively of classic games (or remakes of classics, like OpenTTD) where I can just extract the GoG install package contents and shove them right into my Boxer or ScummVM libraries.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Barely related, but I just learned about the projects to completely rebuild Quake 3 Arena and Doom3 by scratch for macOS as open source games. I haven't dug into them but it's wild.

https://dhewm3.org
http://openarena.ws/smfnews.php

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Occasionally you’ll get good games that release on the App Store or via Apple Arcade but for the most part it’s Steam or GoG. Or the blizzard launcher I guess for stuff like hearthstone and wow.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
https://github.com/tmewett/BrogueCE

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Violator posted:

Barely related, but I just learned about the projects to completely rebuild Quake 3 Arena and Doom3 by scratch for macOS as open source games. I haven't dug into them but it's wild.

https://dhewm3.org
http://openarena.ws/smfnews.php

Also https://www.etlegacy.com/download for Wolf:ET.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm in the market for a new MacBook. I'm not sure if I should go with the M2 Air or save up more for the MacBook Pro M2 Pro 14" (this naming thing is kind of getting dumb...).

My use case is I'd like it to be light enough to use in bed or carry around. It won't be used for anything super resource intense other than like Chrome sometimes or Telegram. I do like to have many tabs open in Safari or Chrome. Right now I have like 26 tabs open in Safari with a Chrome window off to the side on the second monitor with just Amazon Music up.

I did hear that the M2 Airs have bad thermal problems? I'm wondering if I should just go for the Pro simply for the fan. I'm also not sure what configuration would work. My Mac mini M2 Pro is 512GB and it's trucking along fine but maybe my use case for the MacBook would make it different? I also heard the M2 Air has slower speeds on the 256GB due to the SSD.

Thanks!