Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is just neat to see the protagonist actually become the super cool experienced leader type. It feels like thst doesn't happen as often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Posted it on chat thread but Kongoh Bancho is getting a new scanlation with better pages and translation. Strongly recommend it, honestly prefer it over Seven Deadly Sins.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

A funny comparison I find is how Kaiju #8 just didn't do anything about how Kafka being a protagonist in his 30s while Kill Blue does a lot more to remind you that Ogami, despite being transformed into a kid, is still a late-30s-to-middle-aged guy who has lived experiences to match.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

kafka being a 30+ protagonist should be one of his defining characteristics but it never shows in his personality, how he treats people or anything. It's only used to say "he was a failure when he was younger". Pretty disappointing aspect of the story

i feel like kill blue goes a little bit into the other extreme. Parts of that character has nothing to do with age but just him being raised like a weirdo

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

UnderFreddy posted:

kafka being a 30+ protagonist should be one of his defining characteristics but it never shows in his personality, how he treats people or anything. It's only used to say "he was a failure when he was younger". Pretty disappointing aspect of the story

It also existed to be an arbitrary ticking clock on him joining early on!

It's extra weird because like, most people in their mid 30s don't obsess over some childhood friend. It's a very teenager / young 20s mindset, where you haven't met enough people / had enough life experiences yet, so you very strongly latch onto the ones you have such as a friend from childhood. That's of course not to say that nobody in their 30s still has friends from when they were a kid, but rather most don't tend to obsess over / dwell on that friend the way Kafka does - it's a very teenagery kind of mindset imo.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I feel like I'd probably also unhealthily latch onto the only other kid in my neighborhood after everyone else was wiped out by monsters.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 7, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't think the Kafka thing is that weird. It's sorta like if you were really into playing violin or something as a teen and knew some girl who also played, and then she became a professional violinist while you didn't (but you still wish you had). Your dreams would basically be intertwined with your memories of the person.

The situation in the comic is different in a variety of ways, but that's just an example of why someone might still be thinking about someone they knew in their youth without it being that weird. It's not about the person so much as the shared dream + feelings of regret.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Like if Kuina kept coming up in Zoro's thoughts in One Piece.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
lol at the new Spider-Man: Octopus Girl.

An antagonist revealed to be a kid in a Spider-Man hoodie. Draw what you know, I guess.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

lol at the new Spider-Man: Octopus Girl.

An antagonist revealed to be a kid in a Spider-Man hoodie. Draw what you know, I guess.

She seems sorta familiar. Wasn't she Deadpool's sidekick?

edit: oh yeah, absolutely (spoilers for new character) https://i.imgur.com/5WBA7WG.png

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 7, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think the Kafka thing is that weird. It's sorta like if you were really into playing violin or something as a teen and knew some girl who also played, and then she became a professional violinist while you didn't (but you still wish you had). Your dreams would basically be intertwined with your memories of the person.

The situation in the comic is different in a variety of ways, but that's just an example of why someone might still be thinking about someone they knew in their youth without it being that weird. It's not about the person so much as the shared dream + feelings of regret.

Yeah, some people just get... stuck, and I think that's where Kafka was at the beginning of the series. Didn't like his job, couldn't accomplish his dreams, he had to see someone he used to be close with succeed at a level that he could only dream of, and there's also the constant threat of danger from kaiju attacks that he and everyone else lives under. I don't think he had the space to do more than what he had.

I also think it's hard to compare Kafka to Ogami. Kafka in his thirties, but it's still his early thirties, and he's a single man with no kids versus Ogami's nearly 40, divorced dad situation. Putting aside their professions, that's a drastic difference in life experiences, and Kafka isn't going to seem as mature as Ogami by comparison.

But I don't disagree that Kaiju No. 8 could have done more with Kafka's age than what it has

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Also regarding Kafka's age, I think the story was actually good about it early on, with Kafka basically being a lot more chill/grounded than all the teens around him.

That element has kinda been less present later on, though.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Okay, Sachi's Records is off to a promising start

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just going to say if you need to have all your characters sit around and explain what is going on in a battle instead of just showing it you've kind of failed in your storytelling.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Just going to say if you need to have all your characters sit around and explain what is going on in a battle instead of just showing it you've kind of failed in your storytelling.

So how about that Sakamoto this week. I love that dumbass Heisuke so much.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Magnet powers always seem to bring out the coolest fights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I enjoy Fab100's reveal of All my life I've hurt others but that was thr first tine I waa hurt myself. I *really* better hurt others without reservation so I don't feel pain again cuz it sucks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MMA's pretty good. I hope what's her name gets to do things other than just being what feels like the stereotypical 'woman manager in a sports shonen' role right at the moment.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I guess a lost in translation type of thing in Witch Watch what's wrong with the name Rabuka?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

I guess a lost in translation type of thing in Witch Watch what's wrong with the name Rabuka?

Quick google seems like it is the Japanese name for a type of shark so I guess it is kind of like if she said her name was Hammerhead.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I enjoy Fab100's reveal of All my life I've hurt others but that was thr first tine I waa hurt myself. I *really* better hurt others without reservation so I don't feel pain again cuz it sucks.

I read your spoiler before reading the chapter. I thought it was about sword guy. But nope it was 100 herself.

The way this manga makes sure we know Fabricants aren’t human still amuses me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

So how about that Sakamoto this week. I love that dumbass Heisuke so much.

The juxtaposition of him being the biggest dope and Sakamoto-level cracked at his specialty is pretty great, glad he’s getting another fight.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm kind of surprised Tenmaku Cinema decided to just go ahead and answer the mystery of who Tenmaku was and how come Hajime had never heard of him before. Since it wasn't answered right away it seems like something that would come up later.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

The juxtaposition of him being the biggest dope and Sakamoto-level cracked at his specialty is pretty great, glad he’s getting another fight.

I love Heisuke and it's so cool to see him again after him just not being around for quite a while.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

I'm kind of surprised Tenmaku Cinema decided to just go ahead and answer the mystery of who Tenmaku was and how come Hajime had never heard of him before. Since it wasn't answered right away it seems like something that would come up later.

Yeah, makes me worry that they're cancelled if they're just barreling through major plot beats like this.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I love Heisuke and it's so cool to see him again after him just not being around for quite a while.

Heisuke’s and Hyo’s dynamic is really fun too. And this fight switches between cool as poo poo, and incredibly goofy in a way that’s gloriously silly. Ricocheting a bullet off someone’s face to hit someone else in the shoulder .

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Quick google seems like it is the Japanese name for a type of shark so I guess it is kind of like if she said her name was Hammerhead.

Oh so those aren't braces but limiters

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Fabricant 100 started out somewhat interesting and supported mostly by having a lady dimitrescu-esque supporting lead. It has slowly grown into having a wonderful little cast of psychopaths, with the mommy domme only getting cooler and scarier. I hope this series continues growing.

Unrelated but I randomly remembered D. Gray-Man existing, and couldn’t remember how it ended besides the fact that it was disappointing. I tried checking out the last few chapters and it was wordy nonsense with an unfamiliar art style. I then saw that the last two volumes worth of chapters aren’t even in the SJ app. I tried going back in chapters further until something made sense or seemed familiar and I think I memory-holed like 80% of the series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The exception to this is some HxH fights, because the stuff happening sometimes is too complex to show visually

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
DGM is one of those series that got repeatedly derailed by author health issues (including a wrist injury). It's still going after hopping through a bunch of the Jump family of magazines but yeah, there was a point when the issues first started that it just became very difficult to follow and I fell off of it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ytlaya posted:

The exception to this is some HxH fights, because the stuff happening sometimes is too complex to show visually

I get what you're saying, but I disagree with treating HxH as an exception here. On some level, if you're creating something that cannot be properly expressed in your chosen medium, you need to reexamine what you're actually doing. :words:-ing every time it gets complex sucks, imo. That's its own kind of failure.

e: like, there's ambition and then there's just stubbornness

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 9, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

I read your spoiler before reading the chapter. I thought it was about sword guy. But nope it was 100 herself.

The way this manga makes sure we know Fabricants aren’t human still amuses me.

Yeah, it's great.

"Well, you'd heal, so it was totally okay!"

"Y-yeah, but it would still hurt!"

Alacron posted:

Yeah, makes me worry that they're cancelled if they're just barreling through major plot beats like this.

Yeah, same :/

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ichinose Family is pretty heavy this week. Normally the dialog for these sorts of personal arguments kinda ends up coming off weird even with good translators but it feels pretty loving real this week. After all the stuff with the kids and the loser father the mom just coming back with "Okay, go change your comotose grampa's diaper then." is pretty distinctly unshonen stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arist posted:

I get what you're saying, but I disagree with treating HxH as an exception here. On some level, if you're creating something that cannot be properly expressed in your chosen medium, you need to reexamine what you're actually doing. :words:-ing every time it gets complex sucks, imo. That's its own kind of failure.

e: like, there's ambition and then there's just stubbornness

I think that there's no reason why you can't have some hybrid comic/novel thing, though. It's basically just like having parts of a comic that turn into prose/dialogue with accompanying images. How well this works basically depends entirely on how interesting the content itself is.

Like when I think about some of the more interesting HxH fights, I literally can't imagine how someone could have portrayed them without either extensive narration or seeing a character's thoughts. The tension often comes from a character's thought process when making decisions.

The way I'd describe it is that, in those situations, the art basically exists to enrich/clarify the written story. One way to think about it is that there's a spectrum from "book" to "pure animation/illustration." Towards the book side of the spectrum, you have stuff like Light Novels with periodic illustrations. A comic like HxH is sometimes just a bit further towards that side of the spectrum.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Ichinose Family is pretty heavy this week. Normally the dialog for these sorts of personal arguments kinda ends up coming off weird even with good translators but it feels pretty loving real this week. After all the stuff with the kids and the loser father the mom just coming back with "Okay, go change your comotose grampa's diaper then." is pretty distinctly unshonen stuff.

Yeah, it was probably the best chapter in the manga, and in a series that is all over the place in its direction, that was a really grounded moment that you hardly ever see come up in situations like that, much less in shonen manga.

Tbh Ichinose Family isn't really much of a shonen series to begin with, but that chapter even less so

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Does Asta in Black Clover ever calm down and stop screaming?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Koirhor posted:

That is his entire thing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Koirhor posted:

lmao

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Who the gently caress is yelling “stop screaming” at my house. Show yourself, coward. I will never stop screaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just hoping that there was character growth like Naruto, umm cool I’ll keep the volume adjusted