Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
if the 76ers can hire a ringer from the g league to win the dunk contest someone can sign frank thomas for the derby i but nugenex total t would help him a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

An Orioles player knocked out a Yankees cameraman from a bad throw

yikes

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

rickiep00h posted:

They're called the FISH STICKS that better batter be fun.

It's a banana ball game tonight so it's super ridiculous but I came to a legit game on the 4th and it was a lot of fun too .

I think I might come to a game and fill out a full score sheet.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

head up to fans of Posts: there's a yankees/cubs series this weekend

Can't wait to hear about how bad the Yankees are as they sweep the Cubs

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I really, truly hate the Astros.

https://twitter.com/bozolyra/status/1677149148376887296

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wow, he did an A-Rod

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Must have thought France was giving him a high 5.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I feel like I would definitely have the intrusive thought "just hit the ball out of his glove" in that situation so I can't fault anyone for acting on it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
the fact that arod didn't get away with it before review was in place is amazing. in real time the umps missed it, no idea how they figured it out. I guess maybe some of them weren't sure what they saw at first until they conferenced or maybe it's just that they won't actively try to overrule the first base ump until a manager complains

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Why would the umps need to convene about it? He was out anyways, unless they were going to issue a warning or something. Is there a suspension penalty that MLB might hand down?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I meant ARod, not Chas. I think he might get a fine, a suspension? I don't know about that. If he does, it'll be like one or two games I'd think

It worked when ARod did it, Jeter scored and ARod ended up on second. Surprised the umps made it out of Yankee Stadium alive when they reversed it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

R.D. Mangles posted:

head up to fans of Posts: there's a yankees/cubs series this weekend

Been dreading it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

Severino needs the Manoah trip down to rookie ball.

No he doesn't, he just isn't capable of being a starter anymore and this goes back a few years now

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

No he doesn't, he just isn't capable of being a starter anymore and this goes back a few years now

Not sure why you think this. He was a highly effective starter last year. I really don't think it has anything to do with starter vs reliever. If he's pitching like this he won't get anyone out in any role.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well that’s not gonna help his dusty problem

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
KLaw Mock

quote:

Pittsburgh Pirates – Wyatt Langford, OF, Florida
Langford has clearly been on the short list for the Pirates all year, but with Dylan Crews appearing to want over slot to sign here and the team’s apparent preference for a bat over an arm possibly leading them away from Paul Skenes, Langford is the best fit as someone who’s absolutely good enough to be the first overall pick but would sign at a number that will let the Pirates go over slot with later picks. Don’t discount Max Clark here either, for the same reasons, although I think the Pirates would prefer the college guy who’ll get there faster. Clark is motivated to go first overall and there’s a very good argument that he has the highest upside of any candidate to go here.

Washington Nationals – Paul Skenes, RHP, LSU
Tough call for the Nats if both LSU kids are here, but a source familiar with the team’s thinking told me the Nats would probably still take Skenes because he has the profile of a pitcher who’s in the majors in a year à la Stephen Strasburg. Neither is a wrong choice and I could easily see them taking Crews.

Detroit Tigers – Dylan Crews, OF, LSU
If this happens the Tigers should probably just take the rest of the week off. Other teams believe the Tigers will go college regardless, since one of the big three college prospects has to get here.

Texas Rangers –Max Clark, OF, Franklin (Ind.) Community High
Word is Clark is the top guy on the Rangers’ board, period, although they’d have to have a gut check if somehow Crews got here. Sounds like their mix, assuming Crews is gone, is Clark, Langford and Walker Jenkins.

Minnesota Twins – Jacob Gonzalez, SS, Mississippi
Several sources have told me that if Crews and Langford are gone, Gonzalez is the top player in the Twins’ draft model and he’d be the pick over the high schoolers, although they’re more likely to take Clark than Jenkins if either gets to this pick.

Oakland A’s – Braden Taylor, 3B, TCU
I think the A’s are the team most likely to go college bat in this area of the draft, with Taylor, Gonzalez, possibly Jacob Wilson, and maybe an outside shot at Matt Shaw. There’s a small chance they’d go arm with Chase Dollander or Rhett Lowder. I do not believe they’d take Walker Jenkins if he’s here.

Cincinnati Reds – Walker Jenkins, OF, South Brunswick High (Southport, N.C.)
This scenario keeps coming up, although there is one factor that sticks out as a potential obstacle – will Jenkins require an over-slot bonus and would Cincinnati pay it? The Reds have the scratch with an extra pick at No. 38 adding $2.255 million to their pool, and Jenkins would be worth going under slot there or at their regular pick at No. 43. If he’s gone or they choose not to pay, they’re on Kyle Teel, Lowder and Dollander.

Kansas City Royals – Kyle Teel, C, Virginia
They’re linked to two catchers – Teel and high schooler Blake Mitchell – more than any other players, although earlier in the spring I heard them attached to Gonzalez, Wilson and Noble Meyer.

Colorado Rockies – Rhett Lowder, RHP, Wake Forest
I’ve been told the safest bet in the top 10 is the Rockies taking a college arm, which would be Lowder, Dollander or maybe Hurston Waldrep. I haven’t heard Ty Floyd with them but I wouldn’t fall out of my chair with surprise either.

Miami Marlins – Tai Peete, SS, Trinity Christian High (Sharpsburg, Ga.)
Latest I heard here was that they’re targeting a high school bat, but not Colin Houck, which could also mean a deal with someone like Peete or Dillon Head so they can throw money at other players (Charlee Soto?) at picks Nos. 35 and 47. They might be the high team on Meyer, might be the highest team on Shaw, and a lot of folks think Wilson is too much their type for them to pass on him, although I don’t think they have a clear “type” at this point.

Los Angeles Angels – Nolan Schanuel, 1B, FAU
All the names here now are fast-to-the-majors college types, and Schanuel might be one of the fastest because he’s hit for contact and power at exceptional rates and you’re not waiting on growth or projection. I’ve also heard Dollander here, a little Houck, Lowder of course if he gets this far. I haven’t heard Shaw as much as I should, though, as he could move quickly with a shift to second base.

Arizona Diamondbacks – Chase Dollander, RHP, Tennessee
The D-Backs were heavy on Dollander down the stretch, hoping they’re getting a top-five talent who had an off year because some genius told him to change his slider grip to get more sweep. I’ve also heard them with Houck, Shaw, Troy and Gonzalez, who might have a floor here.

Chicago Cubs – Matt Shaw, SS, Maryland
There is a lot of talk about the Cubs going prep with Aidan Miller or Houck, especially with Miller apparently having a very impressive workout for the Cubs. They’re also linked to the group of college bats that might go around here, notably Shaw and Troy, less so Enrique Bradfield Jr. Shaw has the kind of advanced characteristics the Cubs have weighed heavily in taking Cade Horton (pitch shape/spin) and Christian Franklin (batted ball data) in the last two drafts.

Boston Red Sox – Colt Emerson, SS, John Glenn High (New Concord, Ohio)
Yes, another infielder for the Red Sox, although I don’t think you can have too many good infield prospects, ever. Emerson’s one of the younger players in the draft class and there are at least some scouts who think he’s one of the better pure hitters. I’m only hearing them with hitters, including college guys Shaw, Brock Wilken and Chase Davis; and high schoolers with Bryce Eldridge – who supposedly wants to go to a team that will also let him pitch – Houck and Mitchell as other possibilities.

Chicago White Sox – Enrique Bradfield Jr., OF Vanderbilt
I think this is the floor for Dollander and they could be in the mix for Waldrep as well. I haven’t heard them with Wilson specifically, but he’d fit here given how they seem to scout and value players.

San Francisco Giants – Noble Meyer, RHP, Jesuit High (Portland, Ore.)
I have heard several times that the Giants have something in place with Colorado prep infielder Walker Martin, but that might be for their second pick at No. 52, as they have extra cash to play with thanks to a compensation pick for losing Carlos Rodón. They might be Meyer’s floor, and I’ve heard them with Bradfield, Troy and Eldridge, as well.

Baltimore Orioles – Ty Floyd, RHP, LSU
If you’re asking me to bet on a category, I’d still bet they’re more likely to take a hitter than a pitcher, but Floyd has flown up everyone’s boards lately and he does have the fastball characteristics that the Orioles seem to value. If they go bat, it could be Houck, Arjun Nimmala or Eldridge, or maybe they just take any good college bat who slides like Troy or Shaw.

Milwaukee Brewers – Tommy Troy, Stanford
Troy goes somewhere in the teens, and has the kind of performance and batted-ball characteristics the Brewers, and their draft model, typically value. I think they’re a floor for several college hitters who might slide to this point, or could be a home for Floyd or Waldrep. They’re also a sleeper on Houck if he slides here.

Tampa Bay Rays – Colin Houck, SS, Parkview High (Lilburn, Ga.)
I don’t know for sure that Houck is sliding, but it seems like the teams that were most in on him a month ago in that 10-14 range have cooled off, or just shifted to other players. I’ve heard the Rays all over the place by player types and think they could be a floor for one of the sliding college position players. They also went way off the board last year for a high school first baseman in Xavier Isaac, who wasn’t in my top 100 or MLB Pipeline’s on draft day.

Toronto Blue Jays – Jacob Wilson, SS, Grand Canyon
I’ve heard them mostly with college guys, and there’s some chatter that last year’s first-rounder, high school pitcher Brandon Barriera, showing up much heavier this spring and hitting the IL with an elbow issue almost immediately has shifted them away from prep pitching. They’re Bradfield’s floor.

St. Louis Cardinals – Arjun Nimmala, SS, Strawberry Crest High (Dover, Fla.)
Nimmala shouldn’t get this far but it sounds like a combination of an overreach in his asking price and some concerns about the 17-year-old’s swing and miss are pushing him down to the back half of the first round, possibly even here into the 20s where I think the Cardinals and Guardians would be more than happy to take him. St. Louis is also linked to Schanuel, Wilson, a little with Kevin McGonigle (who might end up at Auburn) and Davis.

Seattle Mariners – Aidan Miller, 3B, JW Mitchell High (Trinity, Fla.)
The talk all spring has been that Seattle would go college here and then go for high-ceiling high school guys at 29/30, although they may need to change that up if they have a specific guy in mind who might get picked between 22 and 29, or if someone unexpected falls to them here – which would be the case with Miller.

Cleveland Guardians – Brock Wilken, 3B, Wake Forest
I’ve heard them strongest on Emerson and Nimmala, but I have both guys going ahead in this mock. They’ve also been linked to Southern Miss’s Tanner Hall for a later pick, probably the third round. In a different year, Wilken would be a top-10 pick after an outstanding spring at the plate with strong batted-ball metrics to back it up (and perhaps relax some concerns about Wake’s homer-friendly home park).

Atlanta – Hurston Waldrep, RHP, Florida
This feels low given Waldrep’s pure stuff, with a splitter that’s one of the best offspeed pitches in the entire draft, but there seem to be only a few teams in the teens that are strongly on him, and he’s probably going after Lowder, Dollander, and now perhaps Floyd. Atlanta is linked to a bunch of player types – I’ve heard it with Mitchell, Wilken, Peete of course as a local kid – and some fairly random names for later rounds like North Carolina prep catcher Luke Stevenson and California prep shortstop Boston Baro.

San Diego Padres – Bryce Eldridge, 1B/RHP, James Madison High (Vienna, Va.)
I’ve heard the Padres with Eldridge, Davis, Sammy Stafura, and possibly Head, although the last one seems less likely than the rest.

New York Yankees – Sammy Stafura, SS, Walter Panas High (Cortlandt, N.Y.)
This connection keeps coming back around, whether it’s because they really value Stafura’s defense and speed that highly or just because they saw the local kid the most. I’ve heard them with Eldridge, Head, Thomas White and Peete; and wouldn’t be surprised if they went after a college arm here like Floyd or Joe Whitman.

Philadelphia Phillies – Chase Davis, OF, Arizona
Of course they’re linked to some high school arms as well, including Charlee Soto, but they may also be Davis’ floor.

Houston Astros – Yohandy Morales, 3B, Miami
Everyone thinks they’ll take Floyd if he even gets here, knowing GM Dana Brown’s preference for college pitchers with great fastball characteristics, and if he’s not I believe they’ll go to the college ranks regardless.

Seattle Mariners – Jonny Farmelo, OF, Westfield High (Chantilly, Va.)
Farmelo goes somewhere in this range, No. 29 through about No. 36, I think, and gets a big deal to sign him away from Virginia. Other names I’ve heard Seattle on for these picks, if they’re here, are Head, Peete and Emerson.

Seattle Mariners – Brandon Sproat, RHP, Florida
Lot of chatter that Sproat goes somewhere before pick No. 40 as the best senior in the draft class, perhaps allowing someone to go a little under slot as long as he gets more than he turned down from the Mets in the third round last year.

Tampa Bay Rays – Adrian Santana, SS, Doral (Fla.) Academy
Heard this one a few times recently, although this far down in the draft it’s more a function of who’s available than specific preferences.

New York Mets – Joe Whitman, LHP, Kent State
Very much a function of who gets to this pick, as I’ve heard them on all categories of players, from Nimmala (who I can’t imagine gets this far) to Floyd (probably stops at Houston) to George Lombard Jr. (could go anywhere from about No. 22 on down) to Ralphy Velazquez.

Some other names to listen for in the sandwich round or early second: Dillon Head, Nazzan Zanetello, Travis Sykora, Joey Volchko, Thomas White, Blake Mitchell, Alex Clemmey and Teddy McGraw.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Not sure why you think this. He was a highly effective starter last year. I really don't think it has anything to do with starter vs reliever. If he's pitching like this he won't get anyone out in any role.

He only pitched 102 innings last year, take that with a grain of salt. He still only has two pitches and he doesn't have the ability to pitch a starters workload anymore

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Christopher Morel's K rate is now under 30% on the season. Start him every game. Teach him third base. Let him pitch.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

He only pitched 102 innings last year, take that with a grain of salt. He still only has two pitches and he doesn't have the ability to pitch a starters workload anymore

I don't think his ability to stay healthy is a bullpen vs starter thing. He's just very injury prone.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I don't think his ability to stay healthy is a bullpen vs starter thing. He's just very injury prone.

I think he's more capable of pitching 60-70 quality innings over a season than anything close to what you'd reasonably expect out of a starting pitcher

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

I think he's more capable of pitching 60-70 quality innings over a season than anything close to what you'd reasonably expect out of a starting pitcher

I think he just can't stay heathy full stop. If you expect him to pitch every 2 or 3 days that isn't going to end well either. Also, the issue now isn't his health. It's that he sucks.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I think he just can't stay heathy full stop. If you expect him to pitch every 2 or 3 days that isn't going to end well either. Also, the issue now isn't his health. It's that he sucks.

He sucks because he kinda can't go through the lineup more than once anymore. Sounds like a relief pitcher to me

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
We'll give you Taillon for him

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Poque posted:

We'll give you Taillon for him

No thanks, I already lived through the Jameson Taillon Experience

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Nodoze posted:

He sucks because he kinda can't go through the lineup more than once anymore. Sounds like a relief pitcher to me
In 2023 it looks like he's getting xFIP & BABIP'd some but it's been rough regardless of time through the order

First:
.343 average (.373 BABIP), 6.82 FIP (4.97 xFIP)
Second:
.311 (.310), 6.83 (5.13)

That is new this year, 2022 was much more in line with your point.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

You're midiagnosing the issue here. He's not running out of gas. He never has any gas this year.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Cubs and Yankees have the same run differential, but are 7 games apart in the standings.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
If Ohtani does get traded, it better be to the Orioles or the Reds. At this point he should be rewarded for time served with the Angels.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Gorman Thomas posted:

If Ohtani does get traded, it better be to the Orioles or the Reds. At this point he should be rewarded for time served with the Angels.

The Rangers could use a starter and a DH

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Gorman Thomas posted:

not sure I'd consider a move to Cincinnati a reward. but I would like that if only for more opportunities to see him play!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gorman Thomas posted:

Why is going to a team that has sucked for 20 years a reward?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
cool team of hip young dudes having fun playing ball. I understand this is alien to you but it is a real thing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

cool team of hip young dudes having fun playing ball. I understand this is alien to you but it is a real thing

Lol

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Rangers could use a starter and a DH

I will not loving have this

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Cubs/Yankees posting

https://twitter.com/brendan_cubs/status/1677325287883718660?s=20

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

You're midiagnosing the issue here. He's not running out of gas. He never has any gas this year.

It isn't about him running out of gas, he doesn't have good enough stuff for multiple trips through the order anymore

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Nodoze posted:

It isn't about him running out of gas, he doesn't have good enough stuff for multiple trips through the order anymore

I don't know....he's getting shelled 1st time through the order lately. Honestly I don't know what you do with him. I suggested phantom IL but who knows

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
A phantom IL stint requires player buy-in, so that's not likely to happen. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Severino cannot just be sent to the minors either. Like you and Paracaidas pointed out, the 1st time through numbers aren't great, but that is not the end all be all when it comes to making that transition. Unless there's a way to actually send him to the minors (he has the service time to say no?), and there isn't an actual injury, trying him in relief seems like an obvious solution. It might not work, but it's better than not even trying (See: the Twins and Liam Hendriks). It can also take time to make the transition, and to become comfortable in the new role, so some patience will also be necessary.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I will accept an Ohtani Orioles trade, I will also accept Arte being launched into the sun after Ohtani takes ownership as part of his contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

B-R's most qualified 1B for this year, Trey Mancini, is at -1.1 this year. Next is the Matt Mervis Experience at -0.5. Rizzo is at 1.4.