Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

time for another alt or something idk

Thanks for sharing your racist and homophobic character names! Very cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Rosalind posted:

Thanks for sharing your racist and homophobic character names! Very cool!

Oof

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Eternal is ideal to test out various builds, gently caress around and have a monstrously decked out main character. Cause you will have the gear you hauled back from each season available, as well as multiple leveled characters (after a few seasons).

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Lots of first time Diablo folks here

This is what you do:

Ehud posted:

I have never gone back to play a seasonal char once it's moved to the eternal realm. I just keep them on my eternal shelf like little memories of adventures past.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

It’s hard for some folks to “grok” seasons because the first is landing SO SOON after launch.

If S1 came in September, everyone would be naturally bored and intrigued by the fresh start. As it is I’m sure a lot of newer and/or more casual players still have things to do and are having fun, making a fresh start countdown in just 2 weeks feel a little off.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks. Guess who's about to free up a poo poo ton of stash space.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Cervix-A-Lot posted:

I don't understand why you guys would continue to play a season 1 character when season 2 comes out. Seems like an odd thing to complain about.

You should be complaining about the pathetic season 1 reveal and how you'll lose interest in 2 weeks.

I'm glad season 1 seems fairly average. It is going to make it much easier to switch over to BG3 when that releases 2 weeks later.

I was expecting a lot more and for Blizzard to really launch seasons in D4 with a bang, even if it is going to hit a level they won't be able to sustain going forward when they are limited to 3 month turnaround times, but this was an underwhelming reveal given the expectations you would have for a Season 1, when they already have a decade of experience doing seasons in D3 and seeing how PoE seasons are done.

There is still going to be nothing to do once you hit WT4.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Most appealing part of new seasons is a fresh, empty stash without having to clean out your non-season stash.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I really thought the first season would be explosive and exciting, to sell the poo poo out of the battlepass. RIP

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

coelomate posted:

It’s hard for some folks to “grok” seasons because the first is landing SO SOON after launch.

If S1 came in September, everyone would be naturally bored and intrigued by the fresh start. As it is I’m sure a lot of newer and/or more casual players still have things to do and are having fun, making a fresh start countdown in just 2 weeks feel a little off.

Yep D2R waited longer and it had less poo poo to do and D2 already had ladders

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Season 1 seems okay to me. It's not as big as I hoped for, but I will use it as an opportunity to try a new class, earn a bunch of battle pass cosmetics, and try a new broken build from the seasonal mechanic system.

It will probably take like a month to do everything I want, and then I'll play other games while waiting for season 2 because there are other cool games coming out very soon. And then I'll come back for season 2. It's Diablo and that's what I always do with Diablo.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I have only played 2 characters at this point so season 1 will be very fresh for me as I try rogue for the first time. Also the new dungeon sounds rly cool

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I think the jury's out on season 1 until they show more of it tbh. They just showed what, 1 malignant gem thing?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

As someone new to Seasons I guess I dont see the appeal of what sounds like a somewhat tedious new mechanic that I'll only ever get to use for 3 months? I already am struggling with the itemization and dealing with having to audit every pile of loot I bring in... and now in S1 I am going to have to worry about getting items I like AND hope that they have a socket of a color I want?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

As someone new to Seasons I guess I dont see the appeal of what sounds like a somewhat tedious new mechanic that I'll only ever get to use for 3 months? I already am struggling with the itemization and dealing with having to audit every pile of loot I bring in... and now in S1 I am going to have to worry about getting items I like AND hope that they have a socket of a color I want?

I think you'll be able to handle it

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

External Organs posted:

I think the jury's out on season 1 until they show more of it tbh. They just showed what, 1 malignant gem thing?

sorry but we had to hear about Rod's colonoscopy instead

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Season 1 does seem really quick but I've pretty much slowed down playing already because I feel like my character is mostly decked out with not much else to do, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm not sure if it'll be sustainable.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Ehud posted:

sorry but we had to hear about Rod's colonoscopy instead

I didn't even watch the drat thing I just read the thread :agesilaus:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

hawowanlawow posted:

I think you'll be able to handle it
You believe in me more than I do :unsmith:

I am looking forward to a fresh start with a new character so I'm sure I'll adapt, but it just seems weird to me.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I think we are hitting that casual/hardcore divide and people being told to just level again are like, “no.”

Which I think speaks to the fact that you can’t power level like crazy. Leveling another character would be an easier pill to swallow if 1-50 goes by in a day.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The issue is that anyone familiar with GAAS seasons or even MMOs expects this much content as a small content patch and they've been describing Diablo seasons as mind-blowing. It wouldn't be out of place as the current D3 season.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

gallilee posted:

Tried to play today but the lag was horrible. One step forward and two steps back. Is that on my end or do you experience that as well?

It's been mentioned before but turning off cross platform play helped me a ton with lag and disconnecting. I would dc once or twice an hour and after I turned it off it would be once every several hours if that.

Lord Packinham posted:

I think we are hitting that casual/hardcore divide and people being told to just level again are like, “no.”

Which I think speaks to the fact that you can’t power level like crazy. Leveling another character would be an easier pill to swallow if 1-50 goes by in a day.

We had power leveling down to a science in d3 after a couple seasons, I imagine we'll get this figured out too. Like 1 to max level in 20 minutes

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I didn't really get the appeal of seasons when they were introduced in d3, so I can see where people are coming from here. But it turns out that having excuses to try a new character in a setup where you get some free loot and they introduce some temporary mechanical gimmick is pretty fun!

I never logged into my "regular" characters again after I tried it, or worried about what happened to my seasonal characters or their gear at the end of the season.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Buckle up as you gain 12 percent crit strike chance with fire spells for five seconds after you spend 70 mana

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That’s a huge crit chance!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Philthy posted:

Season 1 does seem really quick but I've pretty much slowed down playing already because I feel like my character is mostly decked out with not much else to do, so I'm looking forward to it. I'm not sure if it'll be sustainable.

There's honestly not all too much to do once you hit 80+.

I would love to try out various builds, but that means farming very specific loot and leveling a new character and I'm already burning out a little cause everything feels so unrewarding. I would also enjoy checking which options an Andy's Visage or a Doombringer would give my characters, but all these toys are impossible to find. I'm honestly not sure if I will still be playing this in September when Starfield and the CP2077 expansion come out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here’s how it’s gonna work, you’re gonna play season 1 and quit after a few weeks with one or two high level chars. You’re gonna skip some seasons. In a year or so you’ll get the ARPG itch and be like “hey I should see what’s up with the current season” and you will and you’re gonna play it like it’s a new game and then quit after a few weeks with one or two high level characters. You’re going to do that for eleven years.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hulk Krogan posted:

I didn't really get the appeal of seasons when they were introduced in d3, so I can see where people are coming from here. But it turns out that having excuses to try a new character in a setup where you get some free loot and they introduce some temporary mechanical gimmick is pretty fun!

I never logged into my "regular" characters again after I tried it, or worried about what happened to my seasonal characters or their gear at the end of the season.

Yeah D3 merged everything back to the non seasonal so the idea you could eep building a “perfect” character outside seasons was kinda neat but I genuinely never touched non-seasonal characters.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Here’s how it’s gonna work, you’re gonna play season 1 and quit after a few weeks with one or two high level chars. You’re gonna skip some seasons. In a year or so you’ll get the ARPG itch and be like “hey I should see what’s up with the current season” and you will and you’re gonna play it like it’s a new game and then quit after a few weeks with one or two high level characters. You’re going to do that for eleven years.

This is the real Diablo experience yeah

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

zoux posted:

You’re goddamn right.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Making ridiculously broken builds with the new mechanics/items every season was always the draw for me.

Like that magic missile sorc build with that sacred item or whatever it was was probably the most fun thing I ever did in Diablo.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

What does the mechanic "up to a X% chance to [do a thing]" mean? What is the "up to" based on, and why isn't it just always X%?

For example, Rogue's Exposure key passive says "Lucky Hit: Dealing damage to an enemy affected by a Trap skill has up to a 25% chance to: [do stuff and things]."

Edit: As I understand, if your lucky hit chance is, say, 50%, and an effect says "Lucky Hit: 10% chance to [do a thing]," then 10% of your lucky hits, i.e. 50% * 10% = 5% of your regular attacks [do a thing]. If that's correct, then this is replacing the second number with, what?

Enigma fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 7, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zoux posted:

Yup.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Diablo 3 seasons taught me that the part of the game I enjoy the most is leveling up and finding cool loot that helps me kill huge packs of monsters even faster making it easier to level up and find cool loot etc etc

It's a lot more fun than trying to re-roll gear for slightly more damage or crit chance or whatever.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

zoux posted:

Yep this 100%

Pretty sure I've played around 20 of the D3 seasons. Most of them I just grabbed a powerlevel, did the season journey for the set, hosed around for 10-20 hours before the cracks in the slot machine began to show, and then dipped out until the next one.

Anyhow I'm looking forward to S1, it will be nice to have some goals to shoot for besides poopsocking to 100

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Enigma posted:

What does the mechanic "up to a X% chance to [do a thing]" mean? What is the "up to" based on, and why isn't it just always X%?

For example, Rogue's Exposure key passive says "Dealing damage to an enemy affected by a Trap skill has up to a 25% chance to: [do stuff and things]."

It's lucky hit and the "up to" is the cap.

So, if you had 100% lucky hit, then you would always have a 25% chance to trigger it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

zoux posted:

Yep. This is exactly how it works.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

zoux posted:

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's lucky hit and the "up to" is the cap.

So, if you had 100% lucky hit, then you would always have a 25% chance to trigger it.

Is this different than just saying "Lucky hit: 25% chance to trigger"? I thought Lucky Hit % was a second proc roll on top of the Lucky Hit roll itself.

Edit: Maxroll seems to think the formula is more convoluted than I expected. It says it's skill% * effect% * (1 + gear bonus), which I guess in theory means you could end up with a trigger chance above 25% without the cap.

I'd presumed the gear bonus was added to the base skill%.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

zoux posted:

lol