Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

credburn posted:

Hey gang, for what purpose do the posts around my apartment building's porch have these notches?
i add a notch every time i have sex in your apartment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

butt dickus posted:

With who?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

butt dickus posted:

Could tidy up while you're around

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

First guess is that some lovely homeowner / handyman stapled up a screen or chickenwire or something.

I like this answer the best because I’m picturing some guy with a staple gun going POWPOWPOWPOWPOW like E. Honda from street fighter.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

MyronMulch posted:

Accept the offer to move upstairs

Alternative: buy them one of those tiny trampolines

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is there a thread here for someone who is interested in getting into vlogging? Not with the intention of making money off of it but as a hobby, specifically the work in editing etc.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

Is there a thread here for someone who is interested in getting into vlogging? Not with the intention of making money off of it but as a hobby, specifically the work in editing etc.

The LP tech support thread has guides on video editing https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590713#post422619732

If you're still stuck just tell them you're doing a Let's Play of your own life.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Inceltown posted:

Some in Sydney are a placebo button and others aren't so it's possible to train people not to press the button when it will matter for them once you get out of the main city parts.

pages back but I am deeply involved in alternative transit, have travelled around many cities all over the world and have never in my life seen a placebo beg button. Much easier to imagine people are just dumb as poo poo and don't understand the light cycles

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

pages back but I am deeply involved in alternative transit, have travelled around many cities all over the world and have never in my life seen a placebo beg button. Much easier to imagine people are just dumb as poo poo and don't understand the light cycles

In some places in Amsterdam (and I guess probably the rest of the Netherlands too), the button activates the ticking signal for blind people (ticks or beeps more rapidly when it's green) but it doesn't actually signal demand.
So still not a true placebo button even if it has no bearing on the light cycle

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Is there a hard limit on how old a motherboard can be before I can't install an ssd as the primary boot drive, assuming it has the SATA ports? How would I know?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm a huge homebody and each month, 37% of my income isn't used. Can someone please direct me to a thread that will help me utilize this money properly instead of leaving it to sit in my bank account? I've already invested in index funds, but was considering perhaps getting a rental property. I've got no idea how to learn about these things, and I don't want to jump into something that I'm not educated on. Advice would be appreciated.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

I'm a huge homebody and each month, 37% of my income isn't used. Can someone please direct me to a thread that will help me utilize this money properly instead of leaving it to sit in my bank account? I've already invested in index funds, but was considering perhaps getting a rental property. I've got no idea how to learn about these things, and I don't want to jump into something that I'm not educated on. Advice would be appreciated.

Save 1/3rd of your income for a year and buy a house to live in, without a jumpy kid upstairs. Sorry if this is ignorant advice, but I’m assuming there are single family homes in your area that you could reasonably acquire.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Lawnie posted:

Save 1/3rd of your income for a year and buy a house to live in, without a jumpy kid upstairs. Sorry if this is ignorant advice, but I’m assuming there are single family homes in your area that you could reasonably acquire.

Do this. Buying a rental property while living in a rental that you don't love feels counter-intuitive to me.

Anyway, we have the BFC sub forum you can check out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Qubee posted:

BFC Newbies Thread

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
our household income is about 400k a year, so we invest, my biggest recommendation is to just get a private banker and a financier and have them do your poo poo for you, once you hit certain wealth brackets it's impossible to really fail unless you do something stupid with it like put it into crypto or Teslas. Don't buy property, there's going to be a huge drop because skyscrapers are going empty from WFH, and those are probably going to get turned into apartment buildings and condos and tank property values as billionaires get cut throat eyeing each others hordes. You can even as a schmuck get a very modest 5% APY interest on a savings account, and on certain amounts that's like 5 - 10k a year, but honestly just like contact a financier. If you have 40% of your income sitting around the only thing you can do with it really is make it make more money, so if you're not interested in that, pick up a hobby.

A word of advice though, Nothing you do with that money will make you as happy as just finding a fulfilling hobby and putting your heart into it. There are people who have millions and use that to make hundreds of thousands, and they are never happy because they're so focused on "doing poo poo" with their money, they forget to just live their loving lives. Most techbro douchebags I know with millions are loving miserable. They don't take care of themselves, they sit inside all day, and they piss and moan about, just, anything. Literally loving anything. Things are too woke, not woke enough, being ruined by x or y.

So whatever you do with your money, before you invest, put your mind towards finding a hobby that rewards practice time and patience and you'll be infinitely happier. Also a perhaps a personal trainer and a nutritionist. It's way better to spend a bit to become healthy, then to put it all into making more.

Also MDMA.

E: (That's a joke, don't spend it on MDMA please.)

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 7, 2023

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Qubee posted:

Find some poo poo you care about and set up some recurring donations

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Qubee posted:

BFC newbies thread

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Qubee posted:

In addition to what everyone else has said: figure out what makes you happy and spend the money on that. I'm in kinda the same situation (except I own a house so I have infinite stuff to fix), but what I realized was that I'm working too much for money I don't really need. So I went to my boss and instead of getting the regularly scheduled pay increase, I got less hours. And it is awesome. So maybe consider earning less for greater quality of life, either less hours or a more fun job.

Also have kids, those fuckers eat up a lot of budget.

Also don't become a landlord, landlords are the scum of the earth, even Adam Smith agrees with that.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

Editing thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3367934

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Lawnie posted:

Housing is out of reach. I'm in the highest paying job sector and am making extremely good money, and even still, I haven't got a hope in hell of owning my own property for at least 10+ years. Middle Eastern country = no mortgages because of Islamic reasons, and the land prices are absolutely bonkers, $1,000,000 for just the plot of land in a genuinely lovely area, this is entry-level, and I wish this was hyperbole. Housing is heavily controlled by the ruling merchant families, they've created an artificial scarcity so that a majority of people have no other option but to rent, and the ruling family don't see fit to step in and actually fix the situation. Citizens are entitled to land once they're married, but the waiting times are 10-15 years and nowadays, the plots being handed out are in the middle of the boonies. Meanwhile, my uni friends who I graduated with back in the UK have all managed to save up a downpayment and purchase their first properties, with half the salary of what I make and being taxed on top. It's quite depressing. The maximum loan I could take out is $650,000 over 15 years and that isn't enough for the land, let alone building a house on top of it. There were talks of my sister taking a loan out and us putting our money together to get a property but then I decided it's not a good move, as we'd both be tied down with the huge debt.

I've got £30k saved up from the past 6 months, I think that's enough for a downpayment in the UK, but it's worthless here :) I'm basically a basement dweller in a highly paid job so my outgoings are extremely low since I'm either watching TV all the time, growing random plants on my balcony, or sitting at the PC.

Boba Pearl posted:

my biggest recommendation is to just get a private banker and a financier and have them do your poo poo for you

I tried finding some reputable people here but it's quite tough, either they're shady or I'm not earning enough for them to consider offering their services. What you said about the hobby tickled something, so I think I'll do that. Just find out what makes me happy and start spending my money on that (reasonably). I guess the rest I'll just dump into index funds since I'll at least beat inflation rather than leaving it stagnant in my account.

BonHair posted:

So I went to my boss and instead of getting the regularly scheduled pay increase, I got less hours. And it is awesome. So maybe consider earning less for greater quality of life, either less hours or a more fun job.

Also don't become a landlord, landlords are the scum of the earth, even Adam Smith agrees with that.

I actually really like this idea, my mood can sometimes tank when I realise I'm giving up so much of my life to the work grind, I would happily pause my pay raises for fewer hours. It's something I'll definitely consider approaching my workplace with in the future.

I absolutely despise landlords, and becoming one myself sits heavy in the stomach, but housing is so ridiculously expensive that I caved in to the dark thoughts of getting some poor shmuck to pay for my mortgage and then some to boot. It's even harder to resist when just 6 small apartments can pay back the price of the loan within 6 years, whilst still giving me a place for myself in the building. A family member sold their house in 2000 for 70k local currency, it's now worth upwards of 380k, if not more. Just mad.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 7, 2023

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

As someone who walks around a lot and lives just outside the city the pedestrian crossing light situation here is something I'm incredibly familiar with. In the main part of town the buttons are all rigged to go for pedestrians no matter what. You can be the only person at a set of lights for multiple cycles and the little green man will keep showing up to let you cross. So as you're doing your 5 am run you can rest assured that timing your approach to the changing of the lights will get you across.

On the other hand the lights that I cross at 3x a day to take my dog to the park absolutely do not trigger when someone stands right next to the button before you get there so that when the light cycle does roll around to what would normally be a green man you're stuck there and unable to cross because now the traffic doesn't have a red arrow protecting you while you go over and chase a ball on the grass.

Light cycle knowledge isn't the issue here, it's that some are rigged up differently and people do not get that you need to press the button.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Qubee posted:

Housing is out of reach...Middle Eastern country...
Are you expecting to retire in this country? Or thinking you'll probably go back to the UK eventually?

If you have family/friends in the UK, could you buy a property and have them live in it? Could charge them well below market rent, they could maintain it for you, etc. I wouldn't consider that being a landlord in the predatory sense.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Boba Pearl posted:

our household income is about 400k a year, so we invest, my biggest recommendation is to just get a private banker and a financier and have them do your poo poo for you,

Please don’t do this. These people will take literally half of your returns because of their absurd fees to just invest your money in a computer-driven etf anyway. Our household income is only like a measly 200k Canadian and we just invest it all through questrade in a ratio of ETFs I found on Canadian couch potato.

I earn more through these investments than my parents do from their rental and don’t have to maintain a house or sell my soul as a landlord.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why do Cartoon French people pronounce the as ze?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Baron Porkface posted:

Why do Cartoon French people pronounce the as ze?

There is no “th” sound in French, so many French people do pronounce it as “ze” or “se” or sometimes “suh” or whatever. But multilingual education in Europe is way better than in the US so most people can pronounce the th just fine.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
It’s so hot in my apartment please help

I bought this air conditioner https://www.delonghi.com/en-ca/delonghi-pinguino-deluxe-pac-500-sq-ft-portable-air-conditioner-pacex270ln/p/PACEX270LN-3AWH a DeLonghi Penguino5 (advertised and reviewed as one of the quietest portable air conditioners. Is still quite loud.)

It’s in a 315 square foot room but it’s barely keeping a constant temperature in here. Here’s the setup, please excuse the mess, we’re moving:

I did the blanket around the tube because the tube is just a radiator and this way I can’t feel much heat through the blanket. There are no heat leaks anywhere else and that Velcro balcony door kit seals way better than the hard plastic one I tried.

Other than those little things, can anyone else pass on their portable AC tips and tricks to get some more performance out of this thing? I don’t really know much because this is the first year I’ve owned an air conditioner.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Those free standing air conditioners are just a fatally flawed design for reasons I'm sure someone else would love to explain. Any reason you can't get a window unit?

Edit: $650??? Wow...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

wash bucket posted:

Those free standing air conditioners are just a fatally flawed design for reasons I'm sure someone else would love to explain. Any reason you can't get a window unit?

Edit: $650???

Casement windows :(

And yeah I did a big deep dive into the window vs portable question and there aren’t any that would work with this apartment. It has two casement windows and a patio door. It’s an awful apartment. Like we could have two windows on the north wall and they just decided not to I guess.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Make sure you're installing it on a window or sliding door where you can leave it semi permanently and then go at it with insulation and foil tape. If you can really dedicate a mostly permanent spot to it then spray foam is the best. Insulate the whole divider thing, get all the possible cracks, get some of that film to insulate the window/glass door.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

tuyop posted:

Casement windows :(

That's rough. Sorry.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

tuyop posted:

It’s so hot in my apartment please help

I bought this air conditioner https://www.delonghi.com/en-ca/delonghi-pinguino-deluxe-pac-500-sq-ft-portable-air-conditioner-pacex270ln/p/PACEX270LN-3AWH a DeLonghi Penguino5 (advertised and reviewed as one of the quietest portable air conditioners. Is still quite loud.)

It’s in a 315 square foot room but it’s barely keeping a constant temperature in here. Here’s the setup, please excuse the mess, we’re moving:

I did the blanket around the tube because the tube is just a radiator and this way I can’t feel much heat through the blanket. There are no heat leaks anywhere else and that Velcro balcony door kit seals way better than the hard plastic one I tried.

Other than those little things, can anyone else pass on their portable AC tips and tricks to get some more performance out of this thing? I don’t really know much because this is the first year I’ve owned an air conditioner.

We were stuck with one of these when we lived in a non AC apartment and my wife was pregnant. Was getting over 100 in there (and outside) some days. It was about enough to keep one room reasonably cool.

You want to insulate the room it’s in as much as possible. Towels under the doors, foil in the windows if you can, foil tape all around the opening you have this going out of. You can also get insulated foil stuff to wrap around the tube carrying the hot air out. If you can’t foil the window then I think thick white curtains on the window side and black curtains on the room side are the next best set up.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Also make sure that model doesn't need to drain into bucket. I had one in my shop that claimed to push the humidity out the window but when I hooked up a drain hose to it it did alot better. But be aware depending on your climate I was pulling gallons of water a day.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh man, it sounds like we can’t really win then. I’ll see about curtains but we need to access the balcony regularly and that’s the only compatible opening in the place. How lovely!

The layout is also idiotic, like this room doesn’t have a door and the hallway is huge and forms a big plus sign in the middle of the apartment. And it feels like the inside spaces of the building are hot. I open the linen closet and it’s like a jungle in there.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The Pirate Captain posted:

There is no “th” sound in French, so many French people do pronounce it as “ze” or “se” or sometimes “suh” or whatever. But multilingual education in Europe is way better than in the US so most people can pronounce the th just fine.

Speaking of French stuff, on a few YouTube videos, to show the passage of time, a card will come up showing an amount of time and a person speaking in a cartoon French voice will say something like "Three hours later". Where did this start?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Speaking of French stuff, on a few YouTube videos, to show the passage of time, a card will come up showing an amount of time and a person speaking in a cartoon French voice will say something like "Three hours later". Where did this start?

Spongebob Squarepants, as all good things do.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

tuyop posted:

Oh man, it sounds like we can’t really win then. I’ll see about curtains but we need to access the balcony regularly and that’s the only compatible opening in the place. How lovely!

The layout is also idiotic, like this room doesn’t have a door and the hallway is huge and forms a big plus sign in the middle of the apartment. And it feels like the inside spaces of the building are hot. I open the linen closet and it’s like a jungle in there.

The room not having a door makes this a pretty difficult problem. You’d almost need to build a mini-room, isolated and insulated to make it much better.

The curtains will help with or without the AC unit though. There are some window liners I’ve used too but I had better luck with curtains.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Spongebob Squarepants.

I'm somewhat miffed I only know this because of the ubiquity of the meme.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The Pirate Captain posted:

Spongebob Squarepants, as all good things do.

Cool, thanks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The room not having a door makes this a pretty difficult problem. You’d almost need to build a mini-room, isolated and insulated to make it much better.

I remember seeing someone make a little yurt out of rigid foam insulation once. Conceivably you could do something like that inside your apartment; not a yurt, but just an insulated box built around the AC unit and some furniture. All you'd need is the foamboard, a utility knife, and some duct tape.

Something else that can help is to remember that the goal of a cool apartment is to cool the people (and any animals). If you have a freezer, you can freeze ice packs, then wrap them in towels and rest your wrists on them. That'll cool your blood down and help keep your body cold. Don't touch frozen stuff directly to your skin, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

My man, if the room you are trying to cook doesn't have a door, go buy a sheet of ridgid foam insulation and make a door. Short of that, hang a sheet or blanket over the doorway.