Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I love Gangster Planet

From a serious, science-fiction, plausibility-oriented, canon-minded perspective, A Piece of the Action is completely ridiculous. It's a joke.

Which is exactly why I love it. I love Kirk's attempt to drive a stickshift. I love Spock trying to be a gangster. ("Check?" "Right.") I love Scotty trying to use gangster terms. ("Concrete galoshes!") I love Fizzbin. I love Kirk's solution to the whole scenario. I love the prospect of the Iotians reverse-engineering McCoy's communicator. The entire episode is a joke, it's completely loving ridiculous AND I LOVE IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i really hope SNW does a theme planet episode

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

I mean so far in Season 2 we've had Crime World, Court World, Toronto World, and now Alzheimer World. We're four episodes in and we're on a roll so far.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Cross-Section posted:

Spent the better part of a day cruising through my favorite kind of fan fiction: In-universe history book fan fiction :haw:

To say it's top shelf (especially for fanon writing) feels insane but I mean, just look at these pages:

The folks behind this should be writing on the shows.

This is some really, really good poo poo. I expected the link to go to Amazon, but this is free. Where did you hear about this?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

I just checked what's at the paramount backlot at the moment. It seems they can go to a New York world, an alley way world, or a park world.

But yeah they should go to a world based off the time when people showed off by wearing comically large shoes.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 7, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I wish there were more Voyager episodes like “Fair Trade,” just rolling up to an unaffiliated space station and trading on what Starfleet does have and what it can share with others. I’m guessing they felt it was too close to DS9 though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MrMojok posted:

This is some really, really good poo poo. I expected the link to go to Amazon, but this is free. Where did you hear about this?

Dunno about the op, but I saw it because they’ve been teasing it all over Trek fandom twitter for months.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Randallteal posted:

A key part of the DS9 magic for me that I don't hear remarked on that often is more frequent use of recurring guest stars. Dukat, Kai Winn, Weyoun, Garak, Martok, Kasidy, Nog, etc feel like so much more of a substantial part of the show than anyone except Guinan gets to be on TNG. Sisko's character in particular is hugely enhanced by his longterm rivalry with Dukat. There are a lot of TNG episodes with killer guest stars where at the end I'm like "boy, that was great. I wish that character was actually part of the show."

Point of order. Sisko does not have a rivalry with Dukat. Dukat has a rivalry with Sisko.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Point of order. Sisko does not have a rivalry with Dukat. Dukat has a rivalry with Sisko.

I think you'll find there's a mutual respect between two old friends despite their political differences

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
unrequited bromance

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I still think DS9's biggest mistake was that Dukat's death didn't involve a phaser beam unexpectedly blasting through him and then his body drops to reveal Kira holding a still-smoking phaser.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Idunno, getting Darth Vadered by Sisko and the other long running villain was pretty good

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Cross-Section posted:

Spent the better part of a day cruising through my favorite kind of fan fiction: In-universe history book fan fiction :haw:

To say it's top shelf (especially for fanon writing) feels insane but I mean, just look at these pages:

The folks behind this should be writing on the shows.

I'm about a forth of the way through this and I'm already tired of the admirals being written as if they work for current day America. loving hack writing bullshit always treats the Federation as if it's just the USA but with space lasers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've only glanced over it but I do appreciate that they made the aggressive guy who'd been pushing for more war stuff Admiral Leyton, the guy who ended up pulling the false flag op in DS9.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

8one6 posted:

I'm about a forth of the way through this and I'm already tired of the admirals being written as if they work for current day America. loving hack writing bullshit always treats the Federation as if it's just the USA but with space lasers.

These are Starfleet admirals, the most evil people in the galaxy

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Dunno about the op, but I saw it because they’ve been teasing it all over Trek fandom twitter for months.

Trek twitter is indeed where I got wind of this, and also where I found the more traditionally-written though still quite good Edge of Midnight which is a fun exercise in, among other things, working the DIS Klingon War into TOS canon (though when I read it you could tell it definitely needed another copy-editing pass)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I missed the best bits conversation but I always think of this scene from VOY ‘Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy’

https://youtu.be/LQo0fBzMO8Y

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

zoux posted:

These are Starfleet admirals, the most evil people in the galaxy

they did say "current day america"

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

MikeJF posted:

I still think DS9's biggest mistake was that Dukat's death didn't involve a phaser beam unexpectedly blasting through him and then his body drops to reveal Kira holding a still-smoking phaser.

Personally he should've just been marooned on that planet as Sisko leaves him to die, alone for all eternity.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Eimi posted:

Personally he should've just been marooned on that planet as Sisko leaves him to die, alone for all eternity.

ah, "the sound of his voice", an episode where recordings gul dukat made of himself ranting about the federation and ungrateful bajorans are played over subspace to a federation crew tasked with finding his shuttle. when they arrive, they find that the recordings were actually from a hologram dukat he created, but it killed him because he couldn't convince it that it wasn't the real dukat. they shut off the hologram generator and transfer its data to their ship, where a hidden virus activates, or something

i was originally just going to make a joke about dukat liking his own voice too much but eh it could be a mid-tier episode i guess

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh here's NOT a great running gag, The "Spock I think that's the most human whatever you've ever whatevered" and Spock going "There's no need to be insulting" or the corrolarry "Spock you're a machine/computer/most heartless guy I've ever known" and Spock going "Why thank you doctor". I think I've seen that one 3 or four times and I'm only 3 deep into s2

Also every joke ever told by Tom Paris

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

ah, "the sound of his voice", an episode where recordings gul dukat made of himself ranting about the federation and ungrateful bajorans are played over subspace to a federation crew tasked with finding his shuttle. when they arrive, they find that the recordings were actually from a hologram dukat he created, but it killed him because he couldn't convince it that it wasn't the real dukat. they shut off the hologram generator and transfer its data to their ship, where a hidden virus activates, or something

i was originally just going to make a joke about dukat liking his own voice too much but eh it could be a mid-tier episode i guess

Dukat as Legasov at the beginning of Chernobyl ep 1, except he's just delusionally talking to rocks like they're recordings, and then he carefully puts them away in a pit of other rocks.

zoux posted:

Oh here's NOT a great running gag, The "Spock I think that's the most human whatever you've ever whatevered" and Spock going "There's no need to be insulting" or the corrolarry "Spock you're a machine/computer/most heartless guy I've ever known" and Spock going "Why thank you doctor". I think I've seen that one 3 or four times and I'm only 3 deep into s2

Unfortunately, TOS S2 has the issue where almost every episode has a lighthearted comedy routine as its epilogue, and that's the basis of a lot of them, so I'm sorry for how many more you have coming.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Changeling one was pretty funny

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

MikeJF posted:

Garak : Well, it's the safest way, isn't it?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Beeftweeter posted:

Hey beats what the writers ended up doing that would've been at least a fun episode. Also I love seeing that come up, when someone creates a double via whatever means and it wishes to become the only one in existence. A game I play a lot of had a similar turn where a a doctor of crimes against humanity creates a double of herself, and the double manages to outsmart the original implanting a desire in her to kill herself, so the electronic double is the original.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 7, 2023

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

zoux posted:

Wait until you get to his eulogy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

thotsky posted:

Wait until you get to his eulogy.

Why does it look like Spock just drank the Grimace Shake in that pic and THAT'S the thing that killed him?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Eimi posted:

Hey beats what the writers ended up doing that would've been at least a fun episode. Also I love seeing that come up, when someone creates a double via whatever means and it wishes to become the only one in existence. A game I play a lot of had a similar turn where a a doctor of crimes against humanity creates a double of herself, and the double manages to outsmart the original implanting a desire in her to kill herself, so the electronic double is the original.

Reminds me of the Dipper clones in Gravity Falls. "Hey, I thought we agreed we wouldn't do [the clones betray the original plotline]" "Yeah, I think we all knew we were lying."

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Eimi posted:

i kinda figured a dukat hologram (programmed by dukat to be exactly like him, of course) wouldn't buy dukat's bullshit either lol. i think it'd be an interesting premise

nine-gear crow posted:

Why does it look like Spock just drank the Grimace Shake in that pic and THAT'S the thing that killed him?

i always thought what it's actually from was pretty dumb. vulcans simultaneously need to be in close contact for telepathy but can feel others light years away? they're not jedi

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How could I forget

‘What do I have to do to convince you people I’m mortal?’ Thats a top ten gag

Also the way Worf hangs his head in despair when Señor Q and his famous Mariachis materialize at the end

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

zoux posted:

How could I forget

‘What do I have to do to convince you people I’m mortal?’ Thats a top ten gag

Also the way Worf hangs his head in despair when Señor Q and his famous Mariachis materialize at the end

That was a scream!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
"Eat any good books lately?" Is a banger too

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

"It's difficult to work in groups when you're omnipotent." I bet it is, yeah.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I bet the Picard/Q bed scene from Tapestry probably has some amazing outtakes to it from Stewart and DeLancie that were lost to history because they were just too absolutely filthy to put on the BluRays.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BrianPelan/status/1677695668670943232

quote:

Meaney is very much on the left. He hosted Martin McGuinness’s presidential rally in the Mansion House in 2011 and played McGuinness in the film The Journey in 2016. When Sinn Féin split in 1970, he sided with Official Sinn Féin (later the Workers Party) who took a more mainstream political path.

“I didn’t come around to supporting what is now Sinn Féin until the late ‘90s, until the peace process…. They’re not left enough for me, but they are of the left, at least,” he says.

“And their position on climate change worries me. But these are things we can work out. We’ve got to get these f**kers out – Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael. A hundred years they’ve been at it between the pair of them.”

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/VeneratedNeatEasternnewt-mobile.mp4

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

We love Colm and Colm always justifies our love.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Really makes O'Brien's lines in Bar Association even better somehow, knowing they line up with Colm's actual views.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hell yeah. Glad its canon now that Miles O'Brien is the most important person in Starfleet history.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

disaster pastor posted:

We love Colm and Colm always justifies our love.

He's great in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Hell yeah. Glad its canon now that Miles O'Brien is the most important person in Starfleet history.

:yeah: