Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

"This is the way."- Captain Kirk - Star Trek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Glad goons are finally agreeing about something

I just wish it wasnt "diablo is supposed to be mediocre"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
god that thread title lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mikojan posted:

It’s not, it’s normal and it’s fun.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Mikojan posted:

Im not being argumentative here but what are the non-mediocre ARPGs that people are playing online? I just like to click on monsters sometimes with my buddies.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

wizard2 posted:

Im not being argumentative here but what are the non-mediocre ARPGs that people are playing online? I just like to click on monsters sometimes with my buddies.

d2r + d2 mods, d3, d4, poe, last epoch (in no particular order) is pretty much the current list of major arpgs that you can play online with people

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Mikojan posted:

Yeah I get that people played d3 by skipping seasons and coming back intermittently, but what if they made a game where you are actually excited to come back EVERY season because they are compelling? Nah, better things aren't possible, time to lay down some sweet owns on posters who don't "get it"

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

I didn't really get the appeal of seasons when they were introduced in d3, so I can see where people are coming from here. But it turns out that having excuses to try a new character in a setup where you get some free loot and they introduce some temporary mechanical gimmick is pretty fun!

I never logged into my "regular" characters again after I tried it, or worried about what happened to my seasonal characters or their gear at the end of the season.

I deleted every single one of my non seasonal characters once I started loving with the seasonal play, and never even look at my seasonal dudes again, unless I wanted to yank a Primal(that I would never actually have) off of them and stash it for if/when I made a new non seasonal character.

This season thing isn't new, so I don't know why yall are making such a big deal about nothing.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

this shouldn't be as funny as it is

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I deleted every single one of my non seasonal characters once I started loving with the seasonal play, and never even look at my seasonal dudes again, unless I wanted to yank a Primal(that I would never actually have) off of them and stash it for if/when I made a new non seasonal character.

This season thing isn't new, so I don't know why yall are making such a big deal about nothing.

d4 actually accomplished one of the things it set out to do which was get non-arpg dorks playing arpgs. just so happens that arpg genre conventions of 'we roll back your 250 hours of time invested several times a year' seem insane to non-arpg dorks

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

flashman posted:

Buckle up as you gain 12 percent crit strike chance with fire spells for five seconds after you spend 70 mana

kamala harris is designing these aspects or what

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Game's way more popular than any other Diablo by a wide margin, so I think it's an effect of that mostly. Just look at how many game blogs and whatnot have written alarming "Blizzard is making you DELETE your character for season 1??" articles.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I still keep around the very first character I made at the launch of D3 as a sort of trophy. I'll do so here for sure with my barbarian.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I like seasons and I’ll play season 1 but I don’t think there is anything wrong with people not liking the seasonal stuff.

If anything, blizzard should have something for those who don’t want to level again and they can earn cosmetics, because like you all said eternal realms don’t matter so who cares if they make a new character or not.

Or just let people copy their character to the current season but they start at level 50 or something.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Honestly character slot limits seem like a made up problem in 2023

I keep all my old standard characters in D2R and PoE and only delete them when I have to, to save blizzard and ggg their precious megabytes

I don't ever log into them and if I did they'd all have had their spec points refunded by patches, but it's neat to have the hall of game

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They have to limit character slots in their always online game because if they don't, some enterprising fellow will create a bot that generates 200 characters a second and obliterates Blizz's SQL servers.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SettingSun posted:

They have to limit character slots in their always online game because if they don't, some enterprising fellow will create a bot that generates 200 characters a second and obliterates Blizz's SQL servers.
But that same person could make a bot that makes 6 characters a second, then deletes said 6 characters the next, then creates 6 new ones the next, and so on?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

But that same person could make a bot that makes 6 characters a second, then deletes said 6 characters the next, then creates 6 new ones the next, and so on?

We can make this even more efficient I believe.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
on the one hand, this first season doesn't really excite me. they should have done a better job of showing what these new malignant hearts could do instead of showing off one level 2 "+64 damage over 3 seconds" thing

on the other hand, excessive crunch is a blight on the industry, by the time the season comes out we'll have been less than 2 months out from release, and I'm sure most of the focus has been on tackling bugs and implementing feedback after launch, so I'm fine with how it turned out. I'm hopeful that future seasons will be a bit meatier

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

D4 is also just really slow for a season model. In PoE or D3 you can complete the basics of a seasonal character in a week or two, at least at present D4 feels like a much bigger time investment to reboot

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well there’s no challenge dungeon-reroll minus ilvl req-socket huge strength gem process, at least not yet. Also no massacre bonuses.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Deformed Church posted:

D4 is also just really slow for a season model. In PoE or D3 you can complete the basics of a seasonal character in a week or two, at least at present D4 feels like a much bigger time investment to reboot

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Deformed Church posted:

I leveled an alt to WT3 in like two or three days and got to WT4 a two or three days after that and was spamming NM dungeons soon after. That feels like way more than "the basics". How is a season going to be any different?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Yeah in case people haven't tried it yet, levelling a character outside of the main campaign goes MUCH, much quicker

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

big cummers ONLY posted:

Yeah I get that people played d3 by skipping seasons and coming back intermittently, but what if they made a game where you are actually excited to come back EVERY season because they are compelling? Nah, better things aren't possible, time to lay down some sweet owns on posters who don't "get it"

there's a million amazing games out there especially this year, I don't want to be playing exclusively d4 regardless of how good it is. The easier it is to jump in and out of playing a game in my rotation the better and seasons work perfectly for that, as zoux described.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People for some reason love exaggerating things so they can say the game is bad while still obsessively playing it lol. Weeks to get a character up and running??? What??

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Herstory Begins Now posted:

d4 actually accomplished one of the things it set out to do which was get non-arpg dorks playing arpgs. just so happens that arpg genre conventions of 'we roll back your 250 hours of time invested several times a year' seem insane to non-arpg dorks

EVERYBODY and I mean EVERYBODY at my place of work who is remotely video games adjacent is playing D4, even silly little management types that have a game system existing in their house bc of kids, so itll be kind of interesting for me to watcg how this turns out. I think Seasons are really neat and I hope I get to be a gay butterfly man soon enough!!!!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Oh if it's way quicker outside the campaign and stuff then I retract my statement and also please tell me what activities you're doing because my time in the pre WT3 levelling process even outside the campaign was not quick

Edit: or does way more carry over into seasons than I'm expecting? Like, going through the campaign took a couple of weeks at a couple of hours a day, then probably another week to 70, and I'm not even knocking on the door of getting my glyphs up to 15 or getting actual good rolls for my desired stats.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 7, 2023

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

big cummers ONLY posted:

They already made a good game I want to play alot. I am excited for season 1. But a person can burn out constantly playing even a good/great game.

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.
Yeah, I think this is the big sticking point for a lot of folks. If leveling to 50/the point where your character comes online was doable in an afternoon solo like in other ARPGs, then fine. Even casual players will get a few characters up by the end of the season. But since it's such a long slog to level in D4, people are rightfully balking at the reset, because many of them have been playing "hard" (for them) since release and are still just now barely breaking into WT3.

It's gonna be September before a many folks see NM dungeons in S1 and that kind of sucks!

Edit: people saying leveling alts is fast, how many hours is it taking you to get to WT3 solo? What are you running?

King Cocoa Butter fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 7, 2023

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I just finished leveling an alt without the campaign and it was nowhere near fast enough unless there is some power leveling thing I don’t know of and didn’t feel that much faster than the campaign.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Silly question for teh thread: What game started Prefix/Suffix titles for your player avatar? I love that poo poo. RN I am an Apprentice Witch. :) I know Animal Crossing New Horizons did it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I am a Treasure Tyrant.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

zoux posted:

I am a Treasure Tyrant.

sick

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

wizard2 posted:

Silly question for teh thread: What game started Prefix/Suffix titles for your player avatar? I love that poo poo. RN I am an Apprentice Witch. :) I know Animal Crossing New Horizons did it?

The Maniac or The Fool

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Gilded Blessing

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
When people say they can level quickly, change your hours played to once a day for two hours. How many days does it take you to hit WT3?

If you're doing the dungeon leech then at least admit it. :haw:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Unfettered Rubbish 4 lyfe

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Rabid florist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

King Cocoa Butter posted:

Edit: people saying leveling alts is fast, how many hours is it taking you to get to WT3 solo? What are you running?

Whispers + strongholds + Dungeons I need aspects from.

The great thing about whispers when leveling an alt is that it gives XP and also keeps you geared up. I don't really know the number of hours. I was playing pretty casually on WT1 the entire time and I want to say it took 3 real-time days of playing on and off. Let's just assume it was 3-4 hours a day. I'm probably under estimating this a little bit, but not by a lot.

The litmus test I was responding to was "a couple of weeks to get the basics of a character going". That's going the other direction and is hilariously over-estimating the time from rolling an alt to reaching WT3 - that is if we're all in agreement that by the time you're in WT3 you've got the basics of a build down and working.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 7, 2023