Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Mymla posted:

How does a 5 year old manage to kill a bird, anyway?

Injured wing, overly friendly, Toga's crazy fast, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I literally caught a bird with my bare hands when I was 5; I just chased it down while it flapped a bit but didn't fly very much. I guess sometimes birds are injured/tired/stunned for whatever reason before the kid encounters it and then it happens.

I actually thought I killed the bird too (although in hindsight as an adult I realized it must've been already injured) and hid the body in a bush but I didn't seem to turn into a supervillain :shrug:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

This is why you're not supposed to have outdoor kids. They decimate the local fauna, just for fun.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I can't tell what the hell is happening come the end of this chapter, and i think the official release will solve a lotta that, but... what are the twice mob supposed to be doing? Did they become a waterfall? Are they all just running past and one occasionally gets a hit in?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Kids throw rocks at birds

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
She didn't kill the bird, it flew into a window or died otherwise and she found it. This is in her original flashback several volumes ago when she tries to drink its blood. It's supposed to be more sad because her parents weren't even right.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mymla posted:

She was testing the tensile strength of a crow's neck. She simply couldn't believe that a crow's neck could be that weak.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i'm a bit disinterested in this part of the story because it's just worn me out a lot but the writing isn't bad. hori clearly has some major problems with japanese society, these chapters are so on the nose with the "why can't you just BE NORMAL" stuff but that happens all the time even here in the USA, nvm japan which i understand to be magnitudes more conformist

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tbp posted:

i'm a bit disinterested in this part of the story because it's just worn me out a lot but the writing isn't bad. hori clearly has some major problems with japanese society, these chapters are so on the nose with the "why can't you just BE NORMAL" stuff but that happens all the time even here in the USA, nvm japan which i understand to be magnitudes more conformist

To be honest I prefer blunt at this point.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rhonne posted:

Hell of a thing to end on before a break.

Uraraka is loving dead! Guess we'll find out what happens when Toga drinks all of someone's blood.

When she drinks too much, the person's consciousness overtakes Toga's. So Uraraka might be dead due to being fully de-blooded, but she will resurrect within Toga.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I always liked how Hori highlighted how quietly hosed up MHAVerse's Japan was but he also kinda has that typical milquetoast lib sort of thing going on where the solution is just everyone being about 15% gooder to fix it.

The funniest part about Toga is that well, Curious was 100% right about it. Originally her conjecture about quirk counseling being part of the source of Toga's ills and society's ills came off like her just working backwards to get to the answer she wanted (Redestro's revolution), but no she kinda hit the nail on the head. Her parents took her for counseling and instead of helping her sublimate her seemingly quirk-related instincts into something healthy they just sat her down and whacked her with a ruler until she started writing with her right hand.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

yeah it's hard to be interested in how hori's going to handle this when the thematic conclusion of the heteromorph quirk was "let's all be nicer and better" and the dabi resolution was "??? well he's dead now"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Valentin posted:

yeah it's hard to be interested in how hori's going to handle this when the thematic conclusion of the heteromorph quirk was "let's all be nicer and better" and the dabi resolution was "??? well he's dead now"

To be fair, dabi being dead was a resolution well overdue. But yeah I'm not expecting anything particularly interesting to come out of any of this at this point.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m just waiting for mecha All Might to show up

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

https://twitter.com/DabisPoleDance/status/1672976117567836160?t=PynEU4V_06CxR3JO1Jo8HQ&s=19

I can't find the anime thread but I've seen people talk about an adaptation of vigilantes and well.

This person is one of the leak sources so chances are p decent that this is correct.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cool kids inc. posted:

https://twitter.com/DabisPoleDance/status/1672976117567836160?t=PynEU4V_06CxR3JO1Jo8HQ&s=19

I can't find the anime thread but I've seen people talk about an adaptation of vigilantes and well.

This person is one of the leak sources so chances are p decent that this is correct.

If true, this is awesome (wonder where it’ll be released on since it’s even less kid friendly than MHA proper, especially early on)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
If they fix the early chapters where the series did soft reset like 4 chapters in, which they should, then that's great news.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If this is true they'll almost certainly streamline the first few chapters of material because it changed magazines twice in a row and sorta soft rebooted.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I know it doesn't happen often when adapting something that's finished, but if they adapt it to the end I hope they give Pop something better to do than sit in the hospital. Otherwise, very exciting.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Let's loving gooooooo!

Something nice for anime only's to sink their teeth into as the main anime starts falling apart, pretty good timing.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-392/chapter/39552?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1017047

Don't care. Too excited about Vigilantes.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Mymla posted:

Back in around chapter 225/226, when she was fighting Curious, we do see a flashback of the bird sitting calmly in her hand. And then she proceeded to sink her teeth into the bird and killed it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Toga saying "I'm built different" is unintentionally funny. "Could never be me, bestie".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dolash posted:

Toga saying "I'm built different" is unintentionally funny. "Could never be me, bestie".

She thinks she's special just because she's scrappy.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7422/my-hero-academia-chapter-393

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Imagine if Toga's villain name had actually been Pikachu.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Another quirk Awakening. Floating people without touching them is such a busted quirk, Uraraka is probably in the top 5 of the class now.

I'm pretty happy about how this is being handled. Twices quirk is treated as potentially apocalyptic, like it is. Urataka finally getting through to Toga was well handled imo.

It's kind of funny to call Togas slasher smile genuine tho. I guess I can forgive some fudging on that, lol.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Great chapter, my favorite part was realizing it wasn't just nine or so pages!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Good chapter.

All Toga ever needed was someone to acknowledge her and help her with her quirk-induced blood urge, and instead everyone treated her as a freak and tried to suppress it and make her "normal".

A world where most of the population has some sort of wacky ability or superpower and people still manage to be shitlords about things like mental health and physical appearance. I'm sure All For One sowed quite a few of these seeds a while ago, too.

FireWorksWell posted:

Great chapter, my favorite part was realizing it wasn't just nine or so pages!

:same:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I know it's Anime World and all, but This girl's lost like a gallon of blood, and is drowning in a sea of clones that are all beating the poo poo out of her, and she's still somehow able to give this big speech

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Twice giving some bad advice in this chapter

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

I know it's Anime World and all, but This girl's lost like a gallon of blood, and is drowning in a sea of clones that are all beating the poo poo out of her, and she's still somehow able to give this big speech

Of all the things to complain about this is the weirdest. People give their anime speeches when they have a hole in their chest. It is just how it works.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CharlestonJew posted:

The power of anime moves mountains. Not surprised twice said that. He isnt always right lol. Also goddamn Ochako is stupid strong now. I am now hoping Deku punches AFO baby and Ochako throws his rear end into the blazing sun. Really good chapter.

edit: lol to Imps point. Hell we had Vegeta in the old days still tell his dying wish when Freeza pierced his lung with a goddamn laser beam.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 7, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's called PLUS ULTRA everyone

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

solid enough chapter and i'm glad it was a normal length but thematically it all remains kind of whatever, especially when uraraka returns to "i want to talk about romance with you!" at the end. decent job salvaging something more or less coherent from their like, two interactions though. also the "what if these heroes and villains who were fighting were kids, on account of all the villains are hosed up about childhood trauma" imagery is becoming very diluted through overuse at this point. bet it'll look real neat in a cleaner scan though.

e: uraraka's bid to toga fundamentally being like "you were always jealous of me, the normal girl, but actually i was jealous of you because you seemed so happy when you were stabbing me" just doesn't quite land and imo just doesn't really address any of the stuff that made toga's plot interesting or worthwhile (also the ochako likes seeing people smile stuff always felt like a very slapdash patch on the way more interesting "i'm going pro hero so i can make some money for my family" stuff that gets floated for her early then dropped extremely hard), so i'm curious if it goes further from here or if this big speech is our emotional climax here

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 7, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Uraraka fights always get so messy. She can be metal as heck.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Can't wait for Uraraka to end up marrying Toga because "I can fix her" weighs heavier than "he's cute".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mymla posted:

Can't wait for Uraraka to end up marrying Toga because "I can fix her" weighs heavier than "he's cute".

I mean in any other situation a character screaming about how they want to talk about love and spend the rest of her life with another character would basically be confirmation of that.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Mymla posted:

gently caress it, this would legit be a better turn of events to wrap up this story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
At this point it's actually possible that Uraraka has spent more time talking to Toga on panel than she has Deku.