Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Saalkin posted:

gently caress I love my Anker poo poo. The Bluetooth speaker lasts forever between charges. I had a set of earbuds that went years of being used 8-9 hours a day before finally dying. Now they don't make the same kind and I'm mad as hell :mad:

Their airpod knock offs kinda sucked and then one of them had a jammed diaphragm.

So I ended up getting 1st airpods as a hand me down and they're nice, but the right pod is precarious and falls out if I tilt my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Their airpod knock offs kinda sucked and then one of them had a jammed diaphragm.

So I ended up getting 1st airpods as a hand me down and they're nice, but the right pod is precarious and falls out if I tilt my head.

I want ear buds with the wire between the two pieces to come back. Those where far better then the current crop

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I wish non-Bluetooth wireless headphones would come back.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

run on sentience posted:

I think it was something about google wanting a cut of the in-app purchase profits for any app in the play store.

What drives me most insane about it, is that you can browse through books on the app, but they don't include a loving link to the book online. They expect you to add what you want to a wish list from the app, go to the site and navigate to wherever in the terribly user-unfriendly menu the wish list is, then click the link to the book from there to go to the page where you can buy it. Just give me a loving link directly from the app. It would be trivial to add this.

It's this, app stores have a "any purchase made from an app downloaded from our store, we get a cut of" rule, Google was never really interested in enforcing theirs until recently. Which is why you could still buy books from the Google version of the app, while you couldn't from the Apple store version. Amazon/Barnes and Noble don't want to pay that.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Dip Viscous posted:

I wish non-Bluetooth wireless headphones would come back.

gaming headphones are like this still, as it's necessary to avoid the high latency of bluetooth. there are some pretty good options, too

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
has google search like, poo poo the bed even more so lately? For a ton of different searches I’ve been getting something along the lines of the below:

Like garbled rear end URL with descriptors that kind of match what I’m looking for, but rarely precise.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
sorry about your hair

what you need is some bear grease

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bad Purchase posted:

gaming headphones are like this still, as it's necessary to avoid the high latency of bluetooth. there are some pretty good options, too

High latency and how shithouse Bluetooth is on Windows.

My ATH-M50 would have to be deleted and paired every time I booted Windows, and usually more than once in a session. Using my Xbox One controller through bluetooth would make every game lag out like crazy when it wanted to issue a warning about the batteries. Luckily both are able to be used wired so I just do that now.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Purchase posted:

sorry about your hair

what you need is some bear grease

not for this 4C mop

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

holefoods posted:

Have you tried checking out knock off ones? There’s some extremely cheap shuffle style MP3 players on aliexpress but I don’t know what degree of water proofing you need, I’m sure they’d fail that test immediately. On the other hand they cost like $3 so why not try anyways.
Nope I never even looked at AliExpress, I'll have to check it out. The waterproofing is to prevent sweat from instantly corroding the gently caress out of the headphone jack.

Bluetooth stuff has gotten decent enough now that I may just switch to a watch and wireless earbuds, which will hopefully last a few years before enshittificstion commences on that product category.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

run on sentience posted:

What drives me most insane about it, is that you can browse through books on the app, but they don't include a loving link to the book online. They expect you to add what you want to a wish list from the app, go to the site and navigate to wherever in the terribly user-unfriendly menu the wish list is, then click the link to the book from there to go to the page where you can buy it. Just give me a loving link directly from the app. It would be trivial to add this.

:ssh: That’s the same greed coming through. App Store policies commonly say that you can’t link out to the web to make a purchase, so you end up with insane poo poo like “We know it’s inconvenient, but you have to sign up on the web!” in apps.

Incidentally, the only thing that didn’t go Apple’s way in Epic v. Apple was that the court found that such policies weren’t kosher, so if Tim Sweeney ever decides to stop fighting for the right to force Apple to let him hook a credit card reader up to a slot machine for children and they all stop trying to overturn the verdict, you might get your link!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
For a few weeks now I have found that on this machine (work/shitpost while pretending to work laptop) I can't visit Twitter at all. Any page on Twitter. It just gives me "Twitter.com redirected you too many times. Try clearing your cookies". (I don't have a Twitter account and I always said no to their cookies)

But I am not complaining. Actually, I quite like it this way.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

teen witch posted:

has google search like, poo poo the bed even more so lately? For a ton of different searches I’ve been getting something along the lines of the below:

Like garbled rear end URL with descriptors that kind of match what I’m looking for, but rarely precise.

Google has been recently merrily directing me to obvious scammy stores as well. It never used to happen, now it's a regular occurrence.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Probably a one-off, but I got an email/ad from my bank (why is my bank, that I bank at, sending me ads for the bank?) that was extolling the virtues of their HELOC program and telling me NOT to close my HELOC yet. I had no intention of closing my HELOC, but at something like 8% interest I also have no intention of utilizing it unless absolutely necessary. The ad went through all the great things you could do with your HELOC, and other than the obvious ones like home repair or upgrades they mentioned "or just a lil' boost to your budget!" and I thought to myself did my bank just suggest that I draw from a HELOC as a way to supplement my regular expense budget? With that kind of sage advice I'm glad my accounts are FDIC insured.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
It's cool how in Office now, clicking to select a font means nothing happens for 4 or 5 seconds while it gets a list from the internet of fonts you don't want and don't have installed in case you want to choose to download them, and never saves this list and stops doing it after the first time so it never stops taking ages, and because there's no feedback that it's doing anything you click again which actually means that when it does load it then acts on your subsequent click(s) to close the font selector, so you have to try again and then again wait for it and potentially click again and get in a loop

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Powerpoint loves to take up 25% of the screen to suggest different layouts when you paste in an image, and at best will give you the option after the second time to choose "stop suggesting layouts until next time you open Powerpoint". Yes, thank you, I love having to go through this every time I open the program because Powerpoint is convinced I am teetering on the edge of changing my mind about this.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Which reminds me of another thing people do - donating expired food to food pantries and homeless shelters. Or food that no one could possibly use. Stop that! If you're going to donate food to the needy, get staples and get them from the store so they're recent. Why do we think foisting our rotting poo poo onto the poor is an appropriate disposal solution?

That's not something that got shittier over time tho, that's always been lovely, it's just sorta related to the thrift store thing.

I volunteer to pack free meals for elderly and otherwise needy people and the charity gets donations of expired food from supermarkets and other large companies. The charity has its own guidelines on expiration and we inspect every package for damage. The stuff we send out isn’t rotting and feeding people while eliminating waste is a good thing.

Individual people donating expired food directly to needy people probably not so much.

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
Microsoft rolled out a new Outlook UI in May that does the usual of moving buttons around for no good reason, but in addition, it broke the ability to right click a pdf and Send File via email. It seemed to get stuck between the new Outlook and “classic” Outlook.

Also, I love how every update to Windows seems to slow it down just a little bit more. When my OS install was new, windows could start in seconds. Now I could go make a sandwich while I wait.

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
And whatever chucklefucks keep inventing new variants of endpoint security that checks every file before it opens against a known safe copy, cut it out. It sucks and it slows everything down.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MoonshineWilly posted:

Microsoft rolled out a new Outlook UI in May
I got so many upset old people going "WHERES MY TOOLBAR I CANT EMAIL" thanks to that

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Brain Curry posted:

I volunteer to pack free meals for elderly and otherwise needy people and the charity gets donations of expired food from supermarkets and other large companies. The charity has its own guidelines on expiration and we inspect every package for damage. The stuff we send out isn’t rotting and feeding people while eliminating waste is a good thing.

Individual people donating expired food directly to needy people probably not so much.

The place I volunteer at will only cook and serve unexpired food, but will put food expired up to a year in the self serve pantry. Anything over a year gets composted and eventually used on the community p patch or sent to partner farms.

One thing that’s weird is we keep getting cans of vegetables showing up in donation bins that don’t have expiration dates that are labeled all in Cyrillic. It’s been going on for years. Where are they coming from? Nobody knows. We call them “Chernobyl beans” and compost them.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My parents ended up with cases of mystery Cyrillic cans that were being thrown out, and it turned out to be a few hundred cans of surprisingly palatable vegetable beef soup. I don't know if someone happened across a warehouse of canned food that fell off a boat in the 1980s or what, but they're showing up in more than one place.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The road construction projects in my city have been getting shittier over the years. For some reason the city keeps destroying the road to widen lanes, and then not finishing rebuilding it. It's been actually years, and the crappy white temporary paint is still featured on bare grooved concrete with mucky tar separating the lanes. This poo poo's on Historic Route 66 too so mega disrespectful to pioneers of vehicle travel who laid the thing however you feel about that.

This awful crap but a 4 lane parkway.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
The rumble strips seem redundant when the entire road is one big rumble strip.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Laserface posted:

Adobe Reader has always been terrible but its a specific kind of terrible now. The only reason I use it over a chrome window is because it had the signature button right there to click and drag. now that is buried 2-3 clicks in one of their horrible side pane things you can no longer turn off.

Instagram removing the option that lets you open links in your default browser instead of the built in one so they can hoover up more of your data (now i just screenshot the ad and find the company in an incognito window on my PC instead)

The way adobe went from a program you could pirate buy to an insanely granular set of rented micro services is such a breathtaking exercise in corporate fuckery

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I mean, Post ITT every time you notice Adobe got shittier for no good reason is practically a thread unto itself.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Brain Curry posted:

Oh yeh that's different. I'm thinking of the super old stuff that's donated etc.

I like this comic as a guide!
https://www.thelily.com/advice-on-what-to-give-during-holiday-food-drives-from-someone-who-used-to-be-on-the-receiving-end/

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
a recent update to the YouTube Music app, at least on Android, no longer lets you thumbs up or down by long pressing a song in a playlist. it now has to be the song currently playing. occasionally I'll hear new songs I like while driving and will go through them after I get home and thumbs up or down and now it's a big loving chore for absolutely no reason at all

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
oh cool, they also removed "go to artist" and "go to album". like why the gently caress even do that

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
This whole thread is making me think of button classic

https://youtu.be/vyZkHjgzGRM

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

The way adobe went from a program you could pirate buy to an insanely granular set of rented micro services is such a breathtaking exercise in corporate fuckery

It is wild how much I have hard-pivoted away from everything Adobe over the last decade. It is obnoxious that my tools are split in between 3 companies now, but keeping out of the Adobe Ecosystem has been a huge boon in costs and general export-ability.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I really love a good Greek salad but I feel like every time I order one these days, it only has one loving olive on it. I'm guessing it's because some complete and utter fools don't like them and they don't want to waste them, but it's bullshit. Olives are as critical as feta to the salad. Why don't you just give me a Caesar salad with one crouton while you're at it.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I don't want any croutons on my caesar. Just give me a bread roll I don't want your old poo poo!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Wendigee posted:

I don't want any croutons on my caesar. Just give me a bread roll I don't want your old poo poo!

Ceasar die for the right to eat stale bread in salad, and you just go and throw that stale bread right in his dead, dead face like this.

Pah, no respect.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

CJacobs posted:

The road construction projects in my city have been getting shittier over the years. For some reason the city keeps destroying the road to widen lanes, and then not finishing rebuilding it. It's been actually years, and the crappy white temporary paint is still featured on bare grooved concrete with mucky tar separating the lanes. This poo poo's on Historic Route 66 too so mega disrespectful to pioneers of vehicle travel who laid the thing however you feel about that.

This awful crap but a 4 lane parkway.

Isn't this supposed to be the inevitable fate of most US roads as the suburb debt/maintenance bubble pops

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

dr_rat posted:

Ceasar die for the right to eat stale bread in salad, and you just go and throw that stale bread right in his dead, dead face like this.

Pah, no respect.

"Brutus, don't let them put in no loving chicken" - Immortal last words of the noble Caesar

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I switched to artificial sweeteners, took me like a week or two to get used to it and since then it's been fine. taste is not completely the same, but now that I've done that and also somewhat cut down on salt, I can actually taste food again. plus the health benefits. worth it, in my experience.

windows search is def trash, agent ransack was mentioned. I also like Everything, which seems to be loving magic because it's exactly what you want search to be but so fast it seems like it shouldn't be possible.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

If you view quotes or trivia or goofs now on imdb they only show you a few entries and make you click a fuckin link to actually show everything and if you minimize your browser or click off the tab it forgets where you were in the list and you have to start all over.

They also added an idiotic floating "Return to top" button that you can't disable and it is supremely aggravating when browsing the site on a mobile device.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Replacing websites with apps means that half the time copy-paste doesn't work, and even on actual websites, it's disabled surprisingly often (although there at least you can use a browser extension to re-enable it).

Also, a lot of websites and apps have dynamic content which aims to be different each time you view the site. So if you ever navigate away from the page (even by accident), it's impossible to find the thing you were just looking at.