Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

moist turtleneck posted:

I guess they should have kept the guy that disables the phones and deactivates accounts then

I carried around an old work laptop for two years cause everytime I got a response from their computer management guy to send me a box to return it they’d get fired or quit before they could. It was locked down by Apple so I couldn’t even use it without soldering or something idk so eventually I just threw it out, real expensive brick they made there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

different rogan

joe rogan arrived at his right wing beliefs the traditional way: being incredibly stupid and credulous

rogan handley is a fairly transparent fascist grifter who doesn’t believe in anything except wealth

ok yeah, gently caress that guy too

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

non-compete clauses are such a load of horseshit lol
"if we fire you you're not allowed to use the skills and experience that we didn't think were valuable enough to keep you around"
gently caress you!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

The Saddest Rhino posted:

lol that cybersmith is still tweeting

i'm trying to think of the weird thing they posted that made them main character for a day

i wanna say it involved banging a dog or something but that was probably someone else

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

spacemang_spliff posted:

i'm trying to think of the weird thing they posted that made them main character for a day

i wanna say it involved banging a dog or something but that was probably someone else

was it the human pet thing

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

[Musk] Murder is also a crime

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Diabetic posted:

I know in the long run it don't matter that Musk is losing money, but gently caress alive it's nice to see his own stupid rear end getting owned by his own stupid rear end.

100% guarantee none of the employees he fired/laid off, had any kind of NDA or non-compete in place as part of their severance. Also guaranteed, they weren't loving happy that dipshit didn't pay them any of their severance he promised. I cannot possibly imagine what a human would do that's been proven time and time again throughout history that if you piss them off enough, they respond in kind.

I know you won't be broke by this but: "HAHAHA, gently caress you Elon."

triple sulk posted:

noncompetes are completely unenforceable

Elon has no real grounds BUT….

…they probably had an NDA as part of their original employment offer or stock vesting which would apply or there are other laws that could prevent someone from sharing previous employer info.

Noncompetes are generally unenforceable when they keep people from working in a specific industry or area. Noncompetes and client lists or trade secrets are totally different things. A non-compete can be illegal but the person can be blocked from sharing material non-public info with their new employer or client lists.

Very specific example: You could work at Twitters ad division and own the Pepsi relationship. You could be fired/quit from twitter and still go to work at meta in ad management. However, you generally cannot then go on to own the Pepsi relationship or specifically try and poach Pepsi from twitter to meta.

There are lots of other variations of this but the bottom line is that this isn’t about noncompetes.

Hypothetically if Twitter did have evidence that a former twitter associate gave meta a non-public architecture plan or actual code, that would be sharing of trade secrets which could have some real claim.

He doesn’t and it’s all baby bullshit but there is real applicable law here that has nothing to do with noncompetes.

Edit: The letter doesn’t even mention noncompetes so it shouldn’t even be a discussion point.

Saltpowered has issued a correction as of 17:08 on Jul 7, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

clean rooms don’t work for patent infringement but I doubt Twitter has any patents

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Saltpowered posted:

Elon has no real grounds BUT….

…they probably had an NDA as part of their original employment offer or stock vesting which would apply or there are other laws that could prevent someone from sharing previous employer info.

Noncompetes are generally unenforceable when they keep people from working in a specific industry or area. Noncompetes and client lists or trade secrets are totally different things. A non-compete can be illegal but the person can be blocked from sharing material non-public info with their new employer or client lists.

Very specific example: You could work at Twitters ad division and own the Pepsi relationship. You could be fired/quit from twitter and still go to work at meta in ad management. However, you generally cannot then go on to own the Pepsi relationship or specifically try and poach Pepsi from twitter to meta.

There are lots of other variations of this but the bottom line is that this isn’t about noncompetes.

Hypothetically if Twitter did have evidence that a former twitter associate gave meta a non-public architecture plan or actual code, that would be sharing of trade secrets which could have some real claim.

He doesn’t and it’s all baby bullshit but there is real applicable law here that has nothing to do with noncompetes.

Edit: The letter doesn’t even mention noncompetes so it shouldn’t even be a discussion point.

We saw how negligent and big of an rear end in a top hat he was to people that really kept the company together, people being fired without notice, etc. Could they not argue or could it be a clause in the NDA that if you're fired without cause, promised a severance, just left employer equipment with no way to get it back to them that could essentially break the NDA due to dumbassery?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

wetwork squads to murder ex-twitter employees. if shadowrun is correct, chummers, 10% of us become orcs and trolls by close of business friday

I'm looking forward to trollcore hitting the mainstream

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

spacemang_spliff posted:

as far as i know he's not into bestiality, he's a british monarchist chaser petplay guy (probably some other things too, but i think he insists that this particular scenario isn't actually one of his fetishes)

he got banned from tumblr for everything, then later got banned from twitter shortly after suggesting the british government provide free HRT on the condition that trans women be required to lactate and sell their milk

as far as i know he's not doing a bit, apparently he posts like this on facebook too under his real name

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Diabetic posted:

We saw how negligent and big of an rear end in a top hat he was to people that really kept the company together, people being fired without notice, etc. Could they not argue or could it be a clause in the NDA that if you're fired without cause, promised a severance, just left employer equipment with no way to get it back to them that could essentially break the NDA due to dumbassery?

you can argue all kinds of things, maybe even successfully, but to get to that point you need to spend a year or two and five or six figgies fighting the lawsuit (which is the real point of noncompetes/NDAs/nondisparagement clauses)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

didn’t musk like literally publish twitters code anyway ?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
In almost no scenario can you freely share previous employer private info/trade secrets. There are lots of regulations, laws, and civil actions against it. Getting fired doesn’t automatically invalidate NDAs.

People do it all the time because they don’t get caught or their previous employer has no evidence. But it’s absolute not just a legal thing to do especially if you have an NDA.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

euphronius posted:

that was for the algoriddim

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

euphronius posted:

they posted "the algorithm" yeah

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
what trade secret could twitter even have that meta wouldn't already have an equivalent of? it's not like meta didn't already have gigantic social networking sites

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Threads feels like they just took Instagram and shuffled parts around

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Threads stole the like button, which didn't exist until Twitter facebook

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Dammit now that I think about it this would have been the perfect time for meta to reintroduce the Poke Button

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

euphronius posted:

feels like forever ago:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

does tiktok work that way? i consistently see people i follow on that app. in fact, it's algorithm seems to be one of the best i've seen at curating things you actually wanna see

tiktok serves me some of what I want to see surrounded by an endless cycle of gym, truckerlife, tesla, bitcoin, stonks, repos, days of videos in foreign languages, etc... I never like any of this poo poo and have told it I don't want to see particular hashtags. Then when it shows me them again it says I can't filter them again. It's loving garbage.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

graventy posted:

Pretty generous paywall really, but judging from the 33000 posts I was able to read for free I don't think this is worth paying for.

The next one was gonna be really good. You're missing out!!

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Even if non-competes were legal in CA, if you broke the employee contract by I dunno, firing people without cause, not paying their severance immediately, and not showing up to arbitration then you also nullified the non-compete

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Vishass posted:

Even if non-competes were legal in CA, if you broke the employee contract by I dunno, firing people without cause, not paying their severance immediately, and not showing up to arbitration then you also nullified the non-compete

not if the noncompete clauses say they survive the termination of the rest of the contract (they do)

plus they'll have you sign a brand new shiny one to get severance

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Malloc Voidstar posted:

as far as i know he's not into bestiality, he's a british monarchist chaser petplay guy (probably some other things too, but i think he insists that this particular scenario isn't actually one of his fetishes)

he got banned from tumblr for everything, then later got banned from twitter shortly after suggesting the british government provide free HRT on the condition that trans women be required to lactate and sell their milk

as far as i know he's not doing a bit, apparently he posts like this on facebook too under his real name

wtf :eek:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Hell yeah. Elon ftw

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Malloc Voidstar posted:

i dont want to hear about this person ever again

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It’s actually a extremely anarchy to want to give corporations the power to kill people if they work for another company

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It’s actually a extremely anarchy to want to give corporations the power to kill people if they work for another company

no it’s anarchy for people to be allowed to work for another company and tyranny for the government to not let him murder those people, you simpleton, you buffoon

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Malloc Voidstar posted:

What in the gently caress did I just read.

Jesus christ

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Actually they already have the power to kill whoever they want, it's just the tyrannical government that gets in their way.
:goonsay:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

this is a critical take, right? I can't tell

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Our competitor with the most resources have copied the most easy to copy social media platform in the world, this must be the work of corporate espionage.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Just a Moron posted:

What in the gently caress did I just read.

Jesus christ

Always love seeing people see the cybersmith for the first time

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

CubanMissile posted:

Our competitor with the most resources have copied the most easy to copy social media platform in the world, this must be the work of corporate espionage.

Wikipedia should start a Twitter clone

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I am starting a Twitter clone in notepad.exe

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

how long has the Twitter prompt been changed from "What's Happening?" to "What is happening?!" :derp: like Howard Beale asking me to update my status

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
cybersmith rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

we're in beta 🤩