Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

holtemon posted:

Elons first call is gonna be to Grimes "just to test it" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Steadiman posted:

Great! Now everybody can start video calling the brands and celebrities and show them the 2002 Britney Spears classic Crossroads!

gently caress it, the full masters of the universe movie

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ben shapino posted:

lol can see tweets if clicking through an embed but not any of the replies, clicking the user profile loads no tweets on the profile, and clicking Explore from a single tweet leads me to a 404 page.

44 billion dollars
Are you a scraper? You sound like a scraper.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

zedprime posted:

Are you a scraper? You sound like a scraper.

A scrapist, threadophile, or "threado guy"

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

goatface posted:

Is it even possible to look at it without signing up? I have not tried.
Yes you can see a person's feed

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
embedcels

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1677365227908735001?s=20

Things that definitely happened.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Russell Brand going right wing is still very bizarre but I guess horse shoe theory and all of that

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

sticksy posted:

Russell Brand going right wing is still very bizarre but I guess horse shoe theory and all of that

How is it bizarre? Being an out-of-work celebrity and going right-wing is the most lucrative career decision.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i now that birdsite has taken down the account gate, but nitter/libredirect's twitter proxy seems like it might be dead for the foreseeable future.

can we just keep posting screen caps or copypastes of birdposts?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Oh I am sure a lot of people who by day are police and federal types were definitely involved in the insurrection. This isn't what they mean though.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

PhazonLink posted:

i now that birdsite has taken down the account gate

I don't see any replies, anyone's timeline, there is nothing accessible on my end except the tweet if I click on an embed... it asks for an account for anything else but a single tweet.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

E the Shaggy posted:

How is it bizarre? Being an out-of-work celebrity and going right-wing is the most lucrative career decision.

He just became a Queenslander

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Whoa! This definitely-true fact is just coming out now?! There is certainly no reason to question this bullshit at all!

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Extra row of tits posted:

“I’ve had dozens of conversations daily about hundreds of things, by coincidence one of these things turned up in the dozens of ads I see daily. This proves my phone is listening to me”

If you have a basic understanding of tech, your phone constantly doing real time voice transcription would take either a constant stream of data to the cloud to translate there, or constantly spiking the CPU to do it on device. It would be incredibly obvious and easy to find since *something* has to be processing this audio into text to hunt out keywords for.

The reality is, they don't need your audio. People aren't as unique as they think and they have so much data about you and other people like you that they can very narrowly target you without needing to hear your thoughts.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
This was known? Trump was at the top of the Fed chart, and he was there riling up the crowd.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

sticksy posted:

Right wing conspiracy theories are just much more attractive than the left wing ones, so they colonized the sponge-like substance that used to be his brain more efficiently.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FBS posted:

"Let's do a video call on the app that's too cheap to do SMS 2FA"

Let's do video calls on an app that can't handle displaying text

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

hard to imagine why people want something besides Twitter

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

MunchE posted:

If you have a basic understanding of tech, your phone constantly doing real time voice transcription would take either a constant stream of data to the cloud to translate there, or constantly spiking the CPU to do it on device. It would be incredibly obvious and easy to find since *something* has to be processing this audio into text to hunt out keywords for.

The reality is, they don't need your audio. People aren't as unique as they think and they have so much data about you and other people like you that they can very narrowly target you without needing to hear your thoughts.

I wanted to bring that up that anyone who had the know how could easily monitor their phone for microphone activation or voice packets.
Android OS is opensource, so either they'd be able to see such things in code or they could run a test. Do some apps take voice clips for ads? Yeah probably, it'd be in their TOS. But overall there's no phone conspiracy by big android or whatever.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
How many people work at this voice data place

Its AI right?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

kazil posted:

These loving idiots

Like good god the lack of critical thinking, just "OH THEY CAN'T BE DIFFERENT RACE I BIG BRAIN WINNING"

they are so hopelessly loving stupid about any nuanced thing on this planet

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

kazil posted:

I'm sure this will be what saves Twitter

I'm sure the site that has to rate limit extremely short text posts will be able to make reliable video calls.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

wonder whose pumping the stock

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

No. 6 posted:

Those are house slippers bro.

Carry on, I didn't see how comfy they looked at work on my phone.

Du hast meinen Segen.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

kazil posted:

He's gone. There's nothing left lol

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 7, 2023

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

kazil posted:

Horrible fortune

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
https://twitter.com/iamdevloper/status/1677196606112686080

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

kazil posted:

this is definitely how people dm each other

true true true

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

i don't think it was the CA controversy that shut him down.. just nobody was interested in him running.

he also went from atheist jew to practicing jew or something during that time and said he was interested in his faith again... then never talked about it ever again.

tbh I work for the zucc in a tech role and in our q&as he has mentioned that he is practicing. this happened pretty recently

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
sure is great the son of South African Apartheid gets to post his thoughts to millions of people.

also great that social media addicts keep moving the goal posts to justify their addiction.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

kazil posted:

What the gently caress is supposed to be happening in the text exchange? The whole thing feels nonsensical and unrelated to the call picture.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

Surveillance capitalist companies failing at capitalism because they do not explain to their actual customers (the people who buy the ads) the abilities they have to make those ads effective.

Do you think it's more likely that there is the massive extra-secret data collection happening that even people working in the literal industry that should be utilizing that data collection don't know about? Or is it more likely you briefly visited a website to look at an image of the coffin design while talking with your friend and the trackers on that site then pinged the ad network and put you in the "looked at coffins" demo. (Something that we know is happening and that data firms proudly tell their customers they have the ability to do.)

Given that we regularly find out about things that surveillance capitalist companies have been tracking because of leaks and journalists, rather than their press conference, I’m not sure why you’re under the impression that social media companies are 100% transparent about the data they collect or how they collect it. They don’t have to be able to say ‘we listen to their conversations’ - they just need to be able to say ‘we can target with x data points with categories down to yz specificity’. I still buy KFC, I don’t demand to know what the 11 herbs and spices are.

I did not look at any pictures of coffins.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Slotducks posted:

this is definitely how people dm each other

true true true

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Elon Musk: The sexual tension is 11/10

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

kazil posted:

Ah good the scam bots will be able to call me several times a day instead of DMing me

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

What the gently caress is supposed to be happening in the text exchange? The whole thing feels nonsensical and unrelated to the call picture.

The blue bubble lady is making bad relationship choices and the gray bubble lady is refusing to support her bad decisions until she confirms that he's...hot?

Silvah
Aug 27, 2004
s0me

holtemon posted:

No ads for new underwear? Must not be listening too hard lol

If you ping at a Chipotle, it sends the ads.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

It's weird. She seems to be talking about a new boyfriend and the other girl is like "Is he cute?" and all of a sudden she needs to video call?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

anonumos posted:

It's weird. She seems to be talking about a new boyfriend and the other girl is like "Is he cute?" and all of a sudden she needs to video call?

Have you people never had someone text you for more than 1 day before ghosting you forever or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Oh poo poo Elon finally figured out hearsay lmao