Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Tai posted:

Nah, I'm not for cluster munitions tbh. It's not something that will make or break this war. If Ukraine kicks out Russia then it won't be because of clusters. They will have problems after though.

Yes Russia has used them and yes Russia has mined Ukraine to all hell and back.

Don't be Russia

Ukraine, like Russia, inherited huge stockpiles of cluster munitions from the USSR and has been using them since day one of this war.

Yes, cluster munitions cause problems due to unexploded ordinance, but guess what, Ukraine chose to use them on their own soil anyway. Because you know what is more dangerous than unexploded ordinance from cluster bombs? Exploding ordinance fired by Russian artillery at Ukrainians. Cluster bombs are notably extremely good at counter artillery fire, which seems to be the #1 priority of the Ukrainian military these days.

Maybe we, who are comfortable and safe in countries not being invaded by Russia, should just respect Ukraine's wishes to use cluster bombs inside their own border to defend themselves. Ukraine is a grown up adult country and can make it's own choices and doesn't need us to hold their hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

They are undergoing intense human pyramids training to better integrate themselves with the locals.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Keeping cluster munitions from Ukraine isn't protecting future victims in a significant way anyway because Russia has mined the the poo poo out of everything. It's all going to have to be demined and searched and removed and Ukraine will be dealing with unexploded bullshit for the next century once they even get a chance to get started. Better to give them what they need now to push Russia out and then they can move on to the rebuild and endless cleanup phase.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sitting safe and warm, thousands of miles away from any conflict, tsking humanitarianly at a country trying desperately not to be genocided.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Geisladisk posted:

Maybe we, who are comfortable and safe in countries not being invaded by Russia, should just respect Ukraine's wishes to use cluster bombs inside their own border to defend themselves. Ukraine is a grown up adult country and can make it's own choices and doesn't need us to hold their hand.

MAYBE Ukraine should take my opinions into account.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1677066491076702208
The main show is impressive, but take a look at the antique on the left too :eyepop:.

Dude needs a a shield with a handy reminder written on it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Homer: "Yes that is what the bullets are made of"

*puts target in crosshair*

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Geisladisk posted:

Ukraine, like Russia, inherited huge stockpiles of cluster munitions from the USSR and has been using them since day one of this war.

Yes, cluster munitions cause problems due to unexploded ordinance, but guess what, Ukraine chose to use them on their own soil anyway. Because you know what is more dangerous than unexploded ordinance from cluster bombs? Exploding ordinance fired by Russian artillery at Ukrainians. Cluster bombs are notably extremely good at counter artillery fire, which seems to be the #1 priority of the Ukrainian military these days.

Right, but right now, they're talking about giving US cluster ammunition to Ukraine. Which is a different question, because the civilian deaths those will cause are also a result of American choices. And I can understand that people, especially with folks who have a background that includes awareness of how hard such things can gently caress a people up long term like Ilham Omar might go 'Nope, bad enough we even HAVE that poo poo, don't want it fired'

And just because Russia does far, far more damage than the Ukranian army, even if they shot all the cluster ammunition, doesn't really mean it doesn't protect them at all. If in one year 100 civilians die due to Russian fuckery, and 5 civilians die due to cluster ammunitions, that's 5 people that would have been alive if it weren't used. Measure that up to the good that it will do if Ukraine gets to gently caress up Russian artillery better is I think not an 'easy one'.

On another note, Ukraine has attacked Russian soil. (And why not? This is a war, Russia can't expect Ukraine to not shoot at soldiers just because they happen to be on the other side of the line) but that means that Ukraine might also at some point fire cluster ammunition in a place where they DON'T have their own civilians, and it's going to be Russian civilians that'll die.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo though. He should just pull back to the 1991 borders and none of this would be an issue.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Shogeton posted:

It's one of those 'I can see why you would do that even if I don't agree'.

Yeah, I'm in this camp.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Biden just sitting there beside a stack of papers authorizing the transfer of the very new very cool Chobham encrusted B2 variant that can’t be shot down and he just keeps showing off new pen spin techniques he learned on Threads last night rather than actually signing anything.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
IAEA update on state of willo's balls ZNPP

whole press release

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

I read this line at noon on the first friday of the month - my air raid sirens test day and I didn't like it.
:argh:

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Geisladisk posted:

Have you considered the impact on me, a very online person who has said in the past that cluster bombs are bad?

How dare you suggest that my twitter opinions are not 100% correct in all situations.

We are posting enemies now.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Shogeton posted:

Right, but right now, they're talking about giving US cluster ammunition to Ukraine. Which is a different question, because the civilian deaths those will cause are also a result of American choices. And I can understand that people, especially with folks who have a background that includes awareness of how hard such things can gently caress a people up long term like Ilham Omar might go 'Nope, bad enough we even HAVE that poo poo, don't want it fired'

Yeah, I'm kinda with that and can understand both arguments. The US supplying cluster bombs to Ukraine in the defense of its own territory cannot and should not be compared to the US dropping cluster bombs in its invasions of Iraq or Vietnam. However, it's a weapon with with an extreme and intrinsic tendency to kill innocents long after the conflict ends and the US bears some of that responsibility for supplying munitions even if Ukrainians are the ones pulling the trigger. If it's not likely to decide the outcome of the war it's valid to say you don't want to contribute to that.

However, in that case, weapons with comparable tactical value in the immediate conflict but with less long-term collateral damage to civilians are a sound counterproposal.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

this sort of thing is inevitable

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Killer robot posted:

However, in that case, weapons with comparable tactical value in the immediate conflict but with less long-term collateral damage to civilians are a sound counterproposal.
If I understand it right, the US are sending an old type of cluster bombs with 2,something % of having some duds. They, if I understood/remember correctly, are only relevant now because UAF already have the equipment to use them and that the US were supposed to decommission them soon

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-fake-politico-article-russia-ukraine-081556177984

quote:

CLAIM: A screenshot shows a Politico article about the war in Ukraine titled, “20 000 000 lives for the sake of freedom,” which reported that Ukraine will need to sacrifice millions of lives to win its war against Russia.

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. The screenshot of the article is fabricated and the news outlet has never published such a story, a spokesperson for Politico confirmed to The Associated Press.

THE FACTS: Russia’s embassy in South Africa tweeted the falsified image this week, suggesting that the political news outlet had published the article to its website.
“#Ukraine will need 20 000 000 lives to ‘return’ territories – Politico,” reads the post. “As they have already said, #NATO is pushing a war to be fought until the last Ukrainian.”

The fabricated image mimics how an article would look if viewed on Politico’s website from a mobile device. It includes the outlet’s logo and a tag above the headline that reads, “Research,” but the text is also full of grammar and punctuation errors.

For example, the headline, which reads, “20 000 000 lives for the sake of freedom,” is missing two commas. “And this, as turned out is almost the entire working-age population,” reads a subheadline, which leaves out the word “it,” among other mistakes.

Searches on Politico’s website show no record of such an article and Melissa Cooke, a spokesperson for the outlet, confirmed in an email to the AP that “this article was not published by POLITICO.”

The Embassy of the Russian Federation in the Republic of South Africa did not immediately respond to a request for comment about its tweet.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Anders posted:

If I understand it right, the US are sending an old type of cluster bombs with 2,something % of having some duds. They, if I understood/remember correctly, are only relevant now because UAF already have the equipment to use them and that the US were supposed to decommission them soon

We only have old ones: we have (correctly, imo) forgone their development and use.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Shogeton posted:

And just because Russia does far, far more damage than the Ukranian army, even if they shot all the cluster ammunition, doesn't really mean it doesn't protect them at all. If in one year 100 civilians die due to Russian fuckery, and 5 civilians die due to cluster ammunitions, that's 5 people that would have been alive if it weren't used. Measure that up to the good that it will do if Ukraine gets to gently caress up Russian artillery better is I think not an 'easy one'.

On another note, Ukraine has attacked Russian soil. (And why not? This is a war, Russia can't expect Ukraine to not shoot at soldiers just because they happen to be on the other side of the line) bu t that means that Ukraine might also at some point fire cluster ammunition in a place where they DON'T have their own civilians, and it's going to be Russian civilians that'll die.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo though. He should just pull back to the 1991 borders and none of this would be an issue.

It is true that cluster bombs will inevitably cause harm long after this is over, but as you said that harm needs to be weighed against the good they will do.

Shortening this war is the most humanitarian thing to do in this situation, and the best way to do that is to provide Ukraine with all the weapons they possibly want, up to but not including WMDs.

If providing cluster bombs to Ukraine shortens the war by even a few days, the good they've done outweighs the harm.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Shogeton posted:

No matter how each of us feels about the cluster munitions question, there's one thing every poster in this thread can agree with:

Putin is a huge piece of poo poo.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I'm against the US sending cluster munitions to the Ukraine because when they finally arrive in Germany next August someone's going to need to dust the cobwebs off our 30 M1 Abrams to make room.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1677066491076702208
The main show is impressive, but take a look at the antique on the left too :eyepop:.

A regular machine gun with tracer rounds would probably work better since you could see where your line of fire is going and lead the drones.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
this cluster munition debate is kind of a weird variant of the trolley problem and it is fascinating to see people work their way through it

i don't really have an opinion on it (my opinion is "i am way too loving dumb to form an opinion here") so i ain't judging anyone for anything just so we're crystal clear

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Shogeton posted:

On another note, Ukraine has attacked Russian soil. (And why not? This is a war, Russia can't expect Ukraine to not shoot at soldiers just because they happen to be on the other side of the line) but that means that Ukraine might also at some point fire cluster ammunition in a place where they DON'T have their own civilians, and it's going to be Russian civilians that'll die.

For people who want the cluster bombs to be sent, they can just reply "And if in one year 1000 civilians die to not using cluster ammunitions, then that's 995 people who could have been saved", those what-ifs aren't a good reply.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Kchama posted:

For people who want the cluster bombs to be sent, they can just reply "And if in one year 1000 civilians die to not using cluster ammunitions, then that's 995 people who could have been saved", those what-ifs aren't a good reply.

As someone said, it has shades of a Trolely problem. Inaction (don't send cluster ammunition) means that civilians die, but it is through the actions and the responsibility of another. Sending the the cluster ammunition, there's good odds that it'll increase the succes of the war on Ukraine's side, which is good for Ukraine, and gives Russia's less chance to commit crimes on civilians.... but it also means that you actively took part in an action that killed civilians. So it's not just a matter of arguing the facts (how dangerous are they to civilians VS how effective are they against Russiai) but also some moral questions that people have been arguing about forever. (To what degree it justified to actively cause harm to innocents, if you believe a greater amount of innocents can be saved?)

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

It needs to spin.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1677290713749377027
POCCNR has demanded construction companies that took government projects to find 20-30 volunteers apiece to send to the front line or lose their lucrative contracts. You know, just another thing the side that's totally winning does.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

If we agreed decades ago that cluster bombs are too dangerous, then simply provide the Ukraine with the safer alternative that we certainly developed.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Agreed. Also just send them ATACMS and all of our thousands of spare M1 Abrams and the supplies needed to keep them running because why not, we aren't using them or gonna use them anyways.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Yeah, a while ago.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1677290713749377027
POCCNR has demanded construction companies that took government projects to find 20-30 volunteers apiece to send to the front line or lose their lucrative contracts. You know, just another thing the side that's totally winning does.

:lol: bribes in the form of mobiks

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

Agreed. Also just send them ATACMS and all of our thousands of spare M1 Abrams and the supplies needed to keep them running because why not, we aren't using them or gonna use them anyways.

Absolutely! Not often those weapons will see a more ethical use than help defend Ukraine.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

If we agreed decades ago that cluster bombs are too dangerous, then simply provide the Ukraine with the safer alternative that we certainly developed.

We are doing that. The 155mm and GMLRS rounds that release a fuckton of tungsten ball-bearings is the replacement to the DPICM rounds. DPICM keeps the artillery lads fed to support offensive operations against the Russians AND provides more explosives for the drones that are used also.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Dwesa posted:

:lol: bribes in the form of mobiks

If your construction company is able to hand over a single Psyker for putins tithe fleet is that counted as 10 or 100 mobliks?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

We are doing that. The 155mm and GMLRS rounds that release a fuckton of tungsten ball-bearings is the replacement to the DPICM rounds. DPICM keeps the artillery lads fed to support offensive operations against the Russians AND provides more explosives for the drones that are used also.

Oh, I forgot those. Those are utterly terrifying to be sure, but unlike cluster munitions only to people in the active combat zone rather than to people in what was an active combat zone years ago.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The fact that they gave the IAEA access is a good sign they are sending a message to interested parties. I mean, they could always be trying to set them up, but its unlikely.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
how many 155 shells would Ukraine need to meet or exceed rus arty advantage, and why don't they already have them? I'm sure there is a given reason and I'm guessing it is stupid / lazy

give floods of shells, that ought to be trivial, and the atacms. are those himars shotgun warheads not right for trench blasting? maybe supply a lot more of those

edit this was partly answered

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Zippy the Bummer posted:

how many 155 shells would Ukraine need to meet or exceed rus arty advantage, and why don't they already have them? I'm sure there is a given reason and I'm guessing it is stupid / lazy

give floods of shells, that ought to be trivial, and the atacms. are those himars shotgun warheads not right for trench blasting? maybe supply a lot more of those

edit this was partly answered

They need more 155mm shells than can be made currently. The real takeaway from this war is "lol the west has dogshit munitions production capacity for what a peer war requires"

As far as giving from existing stocks, the US's position is that it's maintaining a certain level of reserves for any potential conflict, and Ukraine will get what we can spare. Which, to be fair, is still a hell of a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Something something escalation!