Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Joke Miriam posted:

Did Allison deal with whatever possession/pact she made with Incubus?

Also this reminds me she has to deal with Himself eventually.

that was over and done with in seeker of thrones. incubus's pact isn't direct possession, it makes your will to power dominate every aspect of your personality until you're a burnt out husk literally sick of so much winning. she resolved that by smooching herself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I appreciate the growing acknowledgement that smoking does actually make you look cool.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

OhFunny posted:

All of Allison's big toothy smiles keep bringing this panel to the forefront of my mind:

i only recently realized that hes upset that he got cut because hes got head of john installed and his head should be like, indestructible right? so alison being able to touch him is just a reminder shes stronger than he is

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Well, it’s literally in a dream, he’s not really cut and she’s not really cutting him.
But it’s enough to make his WIN MORE complex flare up, and so he does feel the need to immediately crush her. Instead, he does it rhetorically with the Solomon David story, because killing her would be an incredibly stupid idea. Great character moment, since you can see Incubus struggling against himself - he wants to win against Jagganoth, so he has to restrain himself in a way that is deeply opposed to his nature.
He is, genuinely, the only demiurge we’ve seen actually try to compensate for their own nature and strategize around their own failings. Not WELL, but that slight flexibility is something he does have in common with Allison, and it’s why he’s a compelling antagonist. I’m really looking forward to them meeting again.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

A Sometimes Food posted:

I appreciate the growing acknowledgement that smoking does actually make you look cool.

Not really. The only thing more phallic and lame than swords is cigarettes.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

W.T. Fits posted:

The next arc will be about how cigarettes stink and Camus was a useless lib.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Smoking does not make you look cool. Source: have had second-hand smoke breathed on me by everyone in my life for my entire life

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

W.T. Fits posted:

An oral fixation, but not the sexy kind

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Why do you all think thats tobacco

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It's black glass

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Smoking doesn't make you look cool. Pipes make you look cool. No one cares if you're smoking anything in it

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

W.T. Fits posted:

Well, the last panels make it look like she switched from cigs to a pipe.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

celadon posted:

i only recently realized that hes upset that he got cut because hes got head of john installed and his head should be like, indestructible right? so alison being able to touch him is just a reminder shes stronger than he is

I think he has complicated feelings about it. Because while he does have the inferiority thing, he also seems to have a tendency to attach himself to people stronger than himself. He followed Maya for her entire demiurge career. Then he tried to train Allison to effectively become Maya's replacement. Once he decided she was a lost cause, he quickly attached himself to Jagg instead. Dude is a literal god of co-dependence and doesn't seem to know what to do with himself if he's not following someone. For all his talk of winning, he doesn't seem to like actually acting on his own, all alone.

So I think at some level he needed Allison to be stronger than him. I don't think she would have any value to him otherwise.

But yeah it still probably hurt his ego a bit when she actually managed to hurt him despite the head of john stuff.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 1, 2023

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Well, it’s literally in a dream, he’s not really cut and she’s not really cutting him.
But it’s enough to make his WIN MORE complex flare up, and so he does feel the need to immediately crush her. Instead, he does it rhetorically with the Solomon David story, because killing her would be an incredibly stupid idea. Great character moment, since you can see Incubus struggling against himself - he wants to win against Jagganoth, so he has to restrain himself in a way that is deeply opposed to his nature.
He is, genuinely, the only demiurge we’ve seen actually try to compensate for their own nature and strategize around their own failings. Not WELL, but that slight flexibility is something he does have in common with Allison, and it’s why he’s a compelling antagonist. I’m really looking forward to them meeting again.

I was thinking about him today. Consider that he was standing there listening to Meti and Maya argue about "what then?" He came up with his own answer: keep winning, forever and forever. Never stop winning. When new enemies crop up, beat them too. Never cease your lust for more and you'll never have a "what then".

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

JuniperCake posted:

Then he tried to train Allison to effectively become Maya's replacement. Once he decided she was a lost cause, he quickly attached himself to Jagg instead.

I get the impression his alliance with Jagganoth predates Allison's arrival or happen at around the same time, though given Jagganoth's knowledge of how the loops usually go it's possible that he had a sense that the Heir would come soon and that the alliance was just part of his own preparations, so in a roundabout way it was still caused by the arrival of the Heir.

Then Jagganoth catches the Thorn Knights with Zaid and brings him to the meeting of the Seven, while Incubus is informed of Allison's existence by Praman Nand. Crucially, Incubus shows an interest in Allison in spite of the prophecy, because his entire belief system is that nothing exists but power, and even though Allison isn't the true Heir and didn't get her power "legitimately" (just like he did), she's still in a position to use it, which is all that matters. Then Allison tells him that she's seen Zoss and generally proves to be a Furious Dumbass and he understands that she is indeed the Heir after all.

But his plan doesn't change: ally with Jagganoth to destroy the Pact of the Seven Part World, and use Allison as his trump card to survive Jagganoth's onslaught and stay on top of the carnage. When she refuses he discards her and takes advantage of Jagganoth being stuck in Solomon's sphere to command Jagganoth's forces (as his most prominent ally) and just do what he wanted to do anyway, which is to keep the war going.

Now, on some level his relationship to Allison is indeed informed by his own attitude toward Maya and Meti, but I don't think there was ever any contradiction in his mind between genuinely allying with Jagganoth, legitimately training Allison, and ultimately discarding her. In a way she's just the perfected end point of what he's been doing all this time with his victims: props them up as examplars of what he thinks a winner is like, and destroys them because at the end of the day there can be only one.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Am I just totally mental or does the lettering look weird in the last few pages?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

A Sometimes Food posted:

but smoking a pipe with one eye closed makes you look like Popeye

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Bilirubin posted:

but smoking a pipe with one eye closed makes you look like Popeye

Yeah, like they said, cool

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
"I am what I am".

Royalty.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

crossposted from the UFO thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tty3_tqWcHI

Never post partial, :justpost: fully

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Didn't know Olive Oyl would go on to become Mrs. Costanza.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

I hope we get to see Alison smoke that pipe.

Thank you, Abbadon.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Popeye is perfect royalty. He yams what he yams, no more, no less.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

crossposted from the UFO thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tty3_tqWcHI

Never post partial, :justpost: fully

I'd forgotten how dire these were compared to the Fleischer Popeye cartoons.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A.o.D. posted:

I'd forgotten how dire these were compared to the Fleischer Popeye cartoons.

:kstarehair:

(The joke is that Gene Deitch directed the weird Czech-animated Tom and Jerry shorts to which Worker and Parasite was a reference)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol she sidestepped the Dark Souls boss intro

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1677410317234499590

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

God, Allison's expression of pure joy makes this update.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alt text: 'royalty is stored in the drip'

Sounds pretty accurate

Anyway, hug time!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Alison rules

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Does... Does White Chain have Solomon's key??

I know a colored gem in the forehead doesn't automatically equal a demiurge key, but.... Maybe??????

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Activating the Keystone Cops mode in a bunch of guards just by walking past them is a stylish demonstration of just how strong Allison has become.

And WC is looking great.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Allison is not wrong here

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
White Chain dropping the same lines as from the start of the comic shows you can take the angel from the stone, but you can't take the nerd from her monologue.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
82 White Chain? Guessing lots of poo poo went down offscreen, but at least that means she can still reincarnate in her current form.

chami fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 7, 2023

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

habeasdorkus posted:

White Chain dropping the same lines as from the start of the comic shows you can take the angel from the stone, but you can't take the nerd from her monologue.

Old habits die hard, she does that every day whenever there's a little ruckus

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

She's still adorable.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

chami posted:

82 White Chain? Guessing lots of poo poo went down offscreen, but at least that means she can still reincarnate in her current form.

82 is what she was always called, that's not new.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

82 is what she was always called, that's not new.

Oh drat, I thought the count was at 41 for some reason. Whoops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I like in the framing how the full shot of each has the same position in both panels.

Also I like the happy reunion, and the drip, and the sheer rizz of Allison.