Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

wakka wakka posted:

The wine eye chart is a good gag

Good eye, I didn't even notice that! I wonder how noticeable it is in newsprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

I love how Maggie's eyes just narrow down with contempt every time Copper Ma fails spectacularly. No one has any chill at all in this comic. :allears:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

manero posted:

Pluggers

I don't know why Pluggers have to accompany their tools places and I don't know why that cat has the bedroom eyes over a pair of pliers while the bear looks scared. "Fudge" Glover? I'm so uncomfortable.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Oh, man. I hope this mean Coach Martinez also made the transition from sports coach to Juvie guard

Home Free

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

"I like blue, I like t-shirts, so I bought a dozen of them."

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Kids, kids, kids--this is Heart of the City! You all look weird.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

After School Ghost Stories

This is what he’s watching. :shrug:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

quote:

I'M NOT OWNED! I'M NOT OWNED!!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

manero posted:

Pluggers

Really seems like that bear did NOT know he was expected to accompany his pliers though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Bear just got outfenced by his friend who parried his clumsy attempt to leave.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Giant Ethicist posted:

All cultures produce some comedy incomprehensible and unexplainable to other cultures.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

It's specifically a reference to the story of Momotaro, who was born from a giant peach an old couple found floating down a river. (the comic then turns it into a joke of all sorts of fruit floating down the river)
Good to have that context, thanks!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Be careful! She has a muffin.

The Phantom

The artist inadvertently segregated the bus.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Giant Ethicist posted:

After School Ghost Stories

Okay, so what kind of deck do you think this kid plays? Tribal? Control? Stax?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

The exploding what now?

One google later

Wait that was real?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

A controlled burn? On the railroad track? While it was in service? It went so badly two train cars were drawn being knocked off the rails? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within this insanely lovely strip?

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 8, 2023

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"Couple houses down, don't really know them."
-BANG-
"...Guess we're about to, though :sigh:"

emSparkly posted:

The exploding what now?

One google later

Wait that was real?
Yes indeed! There have been multiple whale carcass explosions, even!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
A technical glitch means we miss the Trolley tonight.

Our Boarding House: If you didn't see this coming, turn your high beams on next time. (March 31-April 2, 1924)

Dok's "The First Victim Of War Is Old Growth" Duck (October 25, 1914)

Of course, now they can see you too. Great job.

Little Lefty (October 21-22, 1938 (no strip on the 20th))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8FVc7sCjn8

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mandatory Child Blackmail

You are never allowed to grow up and must do whatever you had to do forever in the same places.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Hostile V posted:

You are never allowed to grow up and must do whatever you had to do forever in the same places.

i mean like i get the whole point youre making about not introducing new settings BUT going from attending camp as a kid and being a camp counselor as a teen are two very different experiences - the responsibility of planning, prepping, and overseeing activities while being conscious of the safety and wellbeing of a bunch of campers who will do everything possible to put themselves in grave danger *very much is* growing up

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

emSparkly posted:

The exploding what now?

One google later

Wait that was real?

Congratulations, you get to learn that today! It's magical, the news coverage of it used to get passed around on VHS tapes, made it to the early Web and was one of the first videos on Youtube. Among some of us here in Oregon it's an unofficial State holiday.

Nobody got hurt (the whale was already dead) so you're allowed to laugh.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

-BANG-

Rex Morgan sighs and mentally tries to recall if there's a "gently caress around and find out" exemption to the hippocratic oath.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

-BANG-

Yes indeed! There have been multiple whale carcass explosions, even!

The look on Rex's face like "loving hell now I have to be a doctor."

I want to imagine the fireworks came from the dog fighting club. Mary will get a lead, and both she and Rex will do things that will make Prince Val proud they are his descendants.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Mary: "I'm here to kick rear end and eat muffins. I've got plenty of muffins!"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

emSparkly posted:

The exploding what now?

One google later

Wait that was real?

It turns out "this huge rotting whale carcass would be easier to deal with if it was in many small pieces" is a common train of thought when people are confronted with a huge rotting whale carcass.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

ellie the beep posted:

i mean like i get the whole point youre making about not introducing new settings BUT going from attending camp as a kid and being a camp counselor as a teen are two very different experiences - the responsibility of planning, prepping, and overseeing activities while being conscious of the safety and wellbeing of a bunch of campers who will do everything possible to put themselves in grave danger *very much is* growing up
This is true. I wouldn't feel this way if it wasn't for the fact that these letters are being sent to their parents asking them to become counselors and their parents are having to push the information on to them while they express acceptance with camp being done and time for them to move on to something else. I did the camper to CIT thing in the past but it was my own decision to make and I was the one to step up and ask if I could do it. Also Coney is, like, 10. That's way too young to be a CIT or counselor proper. Maybe some kind of troop head or cabin lead but not a proper counselor.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i have to say in a strip where so many people are drawn so badly, Meg in dustin is just bad.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Jun 25-26, 1958)

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 20-21, 1993)

Big Nate

Doomykins posted:

"Looking forward" to Big Nate breaking up with his girlfriend for the crime of dating before meeting him. Or this set up could not be used to forward one of the oldest and stupidest relationship cliches. Ball is in your court, author.

You know, normally I'd agree but this arc has set itself up for failure and chosen to do something interesting instead like 3 times already so I'm actually cautiously optimistic.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 04, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I think this might be another UNTRANSLATABLE FINGERPORI

The newspaper headline can be read in two ways, due to the way Finnish grammar works:
"A giant pike-perch bit on 16 year old Jyri's hook"
"A giant pike-perch hooked 16 year old Jyri"

"Jyrin" can either be the genitive (the possessive) form of Jyri, ie. "Jyri's hook". It can ALSO be the accusative form of Jyri, meaning Jyri is the target of the verb, ie "[got] Jyri on his hook.

Can anyone think of an English translation that would in some way capture the pun?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I think this might be another UNTRANSLATABLE FINGERPORI

The newspaper headline can be read in two ways, due to the way Finnish grammar works:
"A giant pike-perch bit on 16 year old Jyri's hook"
"A giant pike-perch hooked 16 year old Jyri"

"Jyrin" can either be the genitive (the possessive) form of Jyri, ie. "Jyri's hook". It can ALSO be the accusative form of Jyri, meaning Jyri is the target of the verb, ie "[got] Jyri on his hook.

Can anyone think of an English translation that would in some way capture the pun?

"Giant fish sets record for biggest catch."

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

This is still INCREDIBLY weird and almost a little bit more so now that Lynn's self-insert is getting in on the gawking over a 14-year-old and her best friend in beachwear

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
apropos of nothing but related to this thread -- a gal on bumble said we should go do karaoke at a place called, I poo poo you not, Funky Winkerbeans, and I'm trying to figure out if this is a good omen or an EXTREMELY BAD ONE

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Sounds like true love in the making, my man.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

apropos of nothing but related to this thread -- a gal on bumble said we should go do karaoke at a place called, I poo poo you not, Funky Winkerbeans, and I'm trying to figure out if this is a good omen or an EXTREMELY BAD ONE

Is her name Lisa?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Breadmaster posted:

Is her name Lisa?

close enough that I feel like I should be worried

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Mark have you considered that they knew indeed it was flammable or else they would not have attempted to ignite it?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

close enough that I feel like I should be worried
Well she's not here for a long time then so why not help it be a good time.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Good times aren't allowed in Batuik Land either. All must be in service of St. Lisa, remembrance of St. Lisa, or grim contemplation of our own mortality. And Lisa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "126 - Jucika And The Rose"

"127 - Jucika Exchanges Souvenirs" NSFW Nudity