Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Coolguye posted:

i mean geneva isn't intended to make sure war doesn't hurt people period, or to outlaw war as a concept

Well maybe it should :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

mobby_6kl posted:

The missile knows where it is at all times anyway.
Be more useful if it knew where it isn't

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
any time you employ a weapon system it's only a matter of time before it falls into enemy hands and even if it didn't, they'd still eventually learn how to mitigate its impact. having a physical copy removes some of the trial and error. given that storm shadows are the only long range weapon system that ukraine has, being able to mitigate their threat is of particular interest to russia

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

RDM posted:

Aircraft from non-lovely military industrial complexes use inertial navigation.

The way to confuse inertial navigation is to hit it really hard. Like with another missile.

It is unfavorable that they have a test article to try to improve their radars, though, even if that's just a procedural update handed out to operators. But yeah we're not going to be seeing storm shadows fall out of the sky, or Russian clones

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1677419550894161920
Massive explosion happened in an ammo warehouse in Luhansk.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
If NATO cared about Russia getting their hands on the Storm Shadows, they wouldn't be sending them to be used.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Geisladisk posted:

Well maybe it should :colbert:

:hai:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1677419550894161920
Massive explosion happened in an ammo warehouse in Luhansk.

Forget the attempted coup, Russia really needs to find the guy who embezzled all the money for "No Smoking" signs.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/ManiacMagic1/status/1677301457773527040
S-60s now being reactivated in Crimea. Do they even have a sufficient amount of rusty ammo for these things left?

They are still putting 57×347mmSR-compatible guns on new vehicles, and ammo is still being manufactured.

This is probably the reason why these vehicles specifically are there -- they are ancient, but they shoot a type of ammo that they do have stockpiled, and aren't actually shooting that much.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Coolguye posted:

i mean geneva isn't intended to make sure war doesn't hurt people period, or to outlaw war as a concept

it is intended to make sure that the most harmful and dangerous aspects of war don't self-perpetuate and make it any more wasteful and stupid than it already is.

Have they not just tried saying War is Bad?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Killer robot posted:

Oh, I forgot those. Those are utterly terrifying to be sure, but unlike cluster munitions only to people in the active combat zone rather than to people in what was an active combat zone years ago.

But what if you step on one when barefoot :ohdear:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

EasilyConfused posted:

But what if you step on one when barefoot :ohdear:

Still a humanitarian improvement over the Lego fragmentation munitions Denmark deployed in Afghanistan.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Tuna-Fish posted:

They are still putting 57×347mmSR-compatible guns on new vehicles, and ammo is still being manufactured.

This is probably the reason why these vehicles specifically are there -- they are ancient, but they shoot a type of ammo that they do have stockpiled, and aren't actually shooting that much.

I mean Ukraine uses these too, for indirect fire support

Just one of those ubiquitous Soviet-era weapons

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Storm Shadows have been on sale since the mid 90’s, there’s no way Russia doesn’t have an exemplar in a warehouse somewhere.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Storm Shadows have been on sale since the mid 90’s, there’s no way Russia doesn’t have an exemplar in a warehouse somewhere.

Unless it got stolen.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Lammasu posted:

Unless it got stolen.

Narrator: It, in fact, was stolen.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

It entered service in 2003, having been accelerated in to service for use in Iraq. The UK upgraded theirs in 2017 and currently has an out-of-service date of 2032. So it's not exactly obsolete. On the other hand, it's been sold to Egypt, India, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and UAE so it's not exactly been kept under lock and key.

I can't believe Russia won't gain at least some insight that improves their own stuff down the line. We won't see stuff that looks like a copy because Russia is plenty capable of building their own platforms (grifting aside). It'll be the material science/guidance/broach warhead stuff they'll pick up useful bits from.

For copies, I think it'd more likely that down the line Russia (via Iran?) rolls something out that looks suspiciously like the workings of an NLAW.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 7, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Putin has one

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1677429679542657024

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I just watched RFK Jr. on Lex Fridman. Holy. Did you know that Ukrainian platoons are surrendering to go fight for Russia? Ukraine has lost 350,000 men, Russia has lost 60-70k. Russian soldiers are completely dedicated to the motherland. There is no way Ukraine can win. Why did we keep provoking Putin? Whyyyyyyyyy

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Garbage leadership ordering garbage to protect garbage next to a pile of garbage.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Day 500 just around the corner.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Tsyni posted:

I just watched RFK Jr. on Lex Fridman. Holy. Did you know that Ukrainian platoons are surrendering to go fight for Russia? Ukraine has lost 350,000 men, Russia has lost 60-70k. Russian soldiers are completely dedicated to the motherland. There is no way Ukraine can win. Why did we keep provoking Putin? Whyyyyyyyyy

I dont get this guy's deal. Is he just some contrarian rear end in a top hat? Also Lex is a piece of poo poo himself.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Burns posted:

I dont get this guy's deal. Is he just some contrarian rear end in a top hat? Also Lex is a piece of poo poo himself.

I was amazed that lex's only pushback was that Ukrainians were brave too.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The Kennedy Curse is real, except instead of some kind of accident or death his brain got turned into oatmeal.

Not the good kind either, the stuff that comes in a paper packet and is half sugar by weight (also it is expired).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Flavahbeast posted:

water on the knee
a whole blyatket, see!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Burns posted:

Hes funded by republican donors who hope he can siphon off leftist voters to this guy.

He is designed to be the living horseshoe

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

zone posted:

Well given that air defense hasn't exactly been faring that well lately either, they should more be asking 'how air defense doing' instead

Ukraine War: Nobody ever asks HOW air defense doing

"Content" re: cluster munitions, I think Ukraine saying "both sides have already used these in this theater and have no problem with them" is the end of the conversation.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Burns posted:

He's also a nut job anti-vaxxer.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Barudak posted:

Hes funded by republican donors who hope he can siphon off leftist voters to this guy.

He is designed to be the living horseshoe
He's been at it for a long time.

He has some "theories" about vote rigging in the 2004 election and what really causes AIDS (hint: it's not the HIV virus!) he'd love to share with you.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Noted scientist RFK Jr.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Aids is caused by uh

Not going to the herbalist

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Lex is just the guy who is trying to take on the mantle of the "Joe Rogan doesn't have an agenda, he just asks questions" viewers when in reality all he does is platform the worst people alive after Rogan just went completely down the mask-off fash rabbit hole

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Mihemed/status/1677429962024931336
Watermelon man said today that Ukraine deserves to be in NATO. POCCNR said they would watch their meeting closely in response.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Toxic Mental posted:

Lex is just the guy who is trying to take on the mantle of the "Joe Rogan doesn't have an agenda, he just asks questions" viewers when in reality all he does is platform the worst people alive after Rogan just went completely down the mask-off fash rabbit hole

i remember he had a couple of 2+ hour long interviews of chess players that popped up on my youtube recommended videos which were perfectly fine and then when I looked to see what else he put out it was 50%+ intellectual dark web demons

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

slidebite posted:

Do we have any recent videos of Russians scrounging gate guardians and museums for tanks and equipment and firing them up for the first time in 60 years?

Kinda like this from 10 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkeR9IWkJKE
Lol I jumped ahead in the video and saw a guy trying to pry something apart and he was wearing Levi jeans with the big leather patch on the back right.

:capitalism:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Coolguye posted:

it would be because geneva outlaws literally any gas usage on the enemy, regardless of how harmless it may be.

the reason for this is less "all gas is bastard" and more "yeah okay you might toss tear gas at a trench and that's not gonna hurt anyone but your opponent mistaking it for VX and retaliating in kind sure as poo poo will hurt people"

It is also banned more because the leading military powers don’t have a lot of use cases for it.

https://acoup.blog/2020/03/20/collections-why-dont-we-use-chemical-weapons-anymore/

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Starsfan posted:

i remember he had a couple of 2+ hour long interviews of chess players that popped up on my youtube recommended videos which were perfectly fine and then when I looked to see what else he put out it was 50%+ intellectual dark web demons

Yep, his whole product is built around the same thing Joe Rogan does, he just doesn't actually say any of his own opinions or beliefs. He might have a Bernie, and then an Andrew Huberman or someone like that on occasionally, and then a few random comedians or celebs, and then it's like 40% RFK Jrs and Literally Hitler

Like, what the hell is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaek1Aa1E6M

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 8, 2023

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tsyni posted:

I found Lex dubious when John Carmack, FPS granddaddy turned hardline divorced dad dork, was on his show, and even moreso when he 'sparred' with Elmo and attested to Elron Muskard's spryness, but this really cements him as a turbo contrarian rear end in a top hat.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Burns posted:

The Kennedy Dynasty peaked with RFK’s 1968 campaign, dude was legit passionate about justice and the best aspects of American idealism. His son & namesake is a loving embarrassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Chicken Butt posted:

The Kennedy Dynasty peaked with RFK’s 1968 campaign, dude was legit passionate about justice and the best aspects of American idealism. His son & namesake is a loving embarrassment.

That's all cool but what about medical freedom