Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, Boomers think they won World War II.

Killed by IEDs and American men and women would suggest to me that they're referencing the Iraq war but everything else they're talking about would put them much older than that so I dunno what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Killed by IEDs and American men and women would suggest to me that they're referencing the Iraq war but everything else they're talking about would put them much older than that so I dunno what's going on.

They're claiming all wars as theirs, because war is good and necessary when the US does it, and because they don't actually care about soldiers, just the big mascot named ARE TROOPS, who is constantly suffering in endless pain and homeless, but also doesn't actually need any help unless there's a chance that a minority might otherwise receive that help.
So they'll be claiming WW2, Vietnam, and the Bush & Trump years of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Heroes died because Barack Hussein Obama let those planes hit the towers and then started a war that I opposed right from the beginning but also Saddam was directly involved with training Osama bin Laden which is why Reagan had to kill both of them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

the_steve posted:

They're claiming all wars as theirs, because war is good and necessary when the US does it, and because they don't actually care about soldiers, just the big mascot named ARE TROOPS, who is constantly suffering in endless pain and homeless, but also doesn't actually need any help unless there's a chance that a minority might otherwise receive that help.
So they'll be claiming WW2, Vietnam, and the Bush & Trump years of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Not even just that, they're claiming that getting hurt doing something they consider noble is more legitimate than having a mental illness.

The guy that posted it was your typical Greek bust avatar "philosopher" on Twitter but it comes off sounding like it was written by a think tank of boomers tossing ideas into a "our side good" box and "their side bad" box.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I'm sure that going to war never gave anyone crippling anxiety or other mental illness, otherwise that would be even more confusing!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
They did make Blazing Saddles today. It's called The Boys.

And even though the show is antifascist and as anticapitalist as a major corporate project is allowed to be, the chuds think it belongs to them because it goes after rainbow capitalism

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

disposablewords posted:

They keep trying to claim him because Blazing Saddles had people saying the N-word in it. Like, that's the entirety of it. Memes floating around about how "it couldn't be made today" and "everyone's too afraid of offense," etc. They don't understand anything about what it was in service to. Or anything else about the movie.

Also it almost wasn't made back then because the suits were goddamn terrified of giving offense with how it used the N-word. The biggest resistance to making it now would be fear of offending the chuds, who'd pitch a giant hissy fit because it's a movie made by a Jewish man where a Black man and another Jewish man manage to regularly outsmart all the racist idiots and the opportunistic white capitalist who's happy to exploit racism to make a buck even if he doesn't openly demonstrate much personal prejudice.

Yeah, the execs were a hell of a lot more frightened of "It's twoo! Oh, it's TWOO!" than any of the n-bombs dropped in that movie.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jagged Jim posted:

Yeah, the execs were a hell of a lot more frightened of "It's twoo! Oh, it's TWOO!" than any of the n-bombs dropped in that movie.

Friend of mine swears blind that the next line was supposed to be "Ma'am, that's my elbow" but it got cut.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Blazing Saddles absolutely couldn't be made today, what the heck are you even thinking?

Like, 90% of the cast is dead. If it were made today it'd probably be pretty boring.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
You couldn’t make A Million Ways to Die in the West today, because of wokeness.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Pththya-lyi posted:

They did make Blazing Saddles today. It's called The Boys.

And even though the show is antifascist and as anticapitalist as a major corporate project is allowed to be, the chuds think it belongs to them because it goes after rainbow capitalism

I know they can't understand context and they have zero media literacy, but it's wild that an American flag draped man hosed a Nazi while the building fell around them and they don't understand the metaphor of "America embracing fascism leads to destruction"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My favorite Blazing Saddles line is "Qualifications?". "Rape, arson, murder and rape". "You said rape twice". "I like rape!".

Not a good one to bust out in public with an unaware audience though

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bargearse posted:

The polio vaccine guy? What did he do, did I miss something?

I was referring the the right becoming antivaccine now.

One of the antivaccine claims is that all polio epidemics were actually caused by the polio vaccine.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Jagged Jim posted:

Look, I'm just sharing what I've read of it, and the language being so blunt and bold about it was gonna be an issue too.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, I don't think any single work has ever so thoroughly and fundamentally cored an entire genre so near and dear to conservative romanticism than Blazing Saddles did to the classic western. You can almost divide the whole genre into before and after (and I've seen critics who do that.) There have been genre parodies more vicious in various media, but anything that had the same sort of public resonance? I can't think of anything.

Airplane! and all the airline disaster flicks of the 70s comes to mind.

the_steve posted:

You can tell what they really think of the troops because there's a line in there about PTSD: more like millennial soldiers are just crybabies.

Same generation getting blowed up by WMDs in Iraq, wait so are we manly men or not.

It's both. When we're dying in war we're good and noble, when we have the gall to survive and come home broken we're disgusting leeches and a burden on the state.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 7, 2023

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, I don't think any single work has ever so thoroughly and fundamentally cored an entire genre so near and dear to conservative romanticism than Blazing Saddles did to the classic western. You can almost divide the whole genre into before and after (and I've seen critics who do that.) There have been genre parodies more vicious in various media, but anything that had the same sort of public resonance? I can't think of anything.
shrek

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Medullah posted:

My favorite Blazing Saddles line is "Qualifications?". "Rape, arson, murder and rape". "You said rape twice". "I like rape!".

Not a good one to bust out in public with an unaware audience though

Rape is the nickname of Raimo, he just had a Finnish bff :buddy:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

That is a pretty funny checklist since the media holds water for them on every topic.

There was a video I saw on her of someone explaining why Blazing Saddles could never be made today and he laid it down as:
1) conservatives would throw a poo poo fit about the movie because it makes white people look extremely stupid, racist and hateful (see how conservatives pitched a poo poo fit over the movie, The Hunt which was pulled from theaters)
2) it does not need to be remade or anything like that because it is the perfect send up of a movie genre that is no longer popular.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

2) it does not need to be remade or anything like that because it is the perfect send up of a movie genre that is no longer popular.

I need a team of necromancers to keep Mel Brooks alive long enough to kill franchise superhero movies.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

1) conservatives would throw a poo poo fit about the movie because it makes white people look extremely stupid, racist and hateful (see how conservatives pitched a poo poo fit over the movie, The Hunt which was pulled from theaters)

I forget, wasn't The Hunt actually about evil Ivory Tower Coastal Elites hunting down rural good ol' boy-types? Like, within a horror/thriller framing, making the conservatives the protagonists? You'd think the messaging would be right up their alley if they had any sort of media comprehension skills.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I forget, wasn't The Hunt actually about evil Ivory Tower Coastal Elites hunting down rural good ol' boy-types? Like, within a horror/thriller framing, making the conservatives the protagonists? You'd think the messaging would be right up their alley if they had any sort of media comprehension skills.

Yep exactly, Betty Gilpin's main protagonist is definitely not a lib being owned

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

One of the most iconic jokes in that movie is Gene Wilder calling racist rural southern whites morons.

Conservatives would explode if that movie came out today. Now I'm wondering what conservatives said about Blazing Saddles at the time, they must have been big mad about it then too.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Yes, but replace “evil Ivory Tower Coastal Elites” with just “wealthy capitalists”. I think they were upset about everyday average people being hunted but they were more so about wealthy people being maligned.

Maybe they thought that it would be a way to get Marxist thought into the brains of everyday people.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

i like how the checkmarks after the 1st or 2nd one (or even starting with first one) all look increasingly janker

like their dumb toddler hands couldnt hold the red crayon correctly.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Libra posted:

This part's pretty good/confusing.

Anxiety sufferers set off an ied

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Runcible Cat posted:

Friend of mine swears blind that the next line was supposed to be "Ma'am, that's my elbow" but it got cut.

Unless I'm hallucinating a memory there's actually a clip of this, it just got cut. The line in my memory is something like "Baby, you're kissin' on my elbow..."

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

DarkHorse posted:

Unless I'm hallucinating a memory there's actually a clip of this, it just got cut. The line in my memory is something like "Baby, you're kissin' on my elbow..."

Well I'm glad that got cut because the original is much better

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Democrat Elites hunting Republican voters, basically.

There were so many funny little bits, like when one chud is bragging about owning ten guns and the convenience store clerk is like "why do you need to own ten guns?" followed by tense violin music. Or the boomer chud that went on and on about patriotism and loyalty but turns on the protagonist the second he thinks it'll help him survive. But probably the biggest twist, and the reason Gilpins character survives, is because it turns out she has the exact same name as another conservative lady in the same town and they kidnapped the wrong one by mistake. So instead of some dumb MAGA lady they end up with PTSD riddled Lady Rambo

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

BiggerBoat posted:

Austin Powers?

According to Daniel Craig, yeah.

quote:

We had to destroy the myth because Mike Myers hosed us - I am a huge Mike Myers fan, so don't get me wrong - but he kind of hosed us; made it impossible to do the gags. What I am proudest of in Skyfall is the lightness of touch we've been able to bring to back into it but not lose the drama and the action.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

love to take four anti-psychotics at once yum yum

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

TinTower posted:

love to take four anti-psychotics at once yum yum

What the gently caress are they even talking about

This sounds like it's from an alternate timeline where induce lactation as a form of steroids or something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Trans women breastfeeding by taking the same chemicals that either naturally exist after childbirth or are used to induce lactation in cis women with difficulty feeding, plus some others they made up.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

CuddleCryptid posted:

What the gently caress are they even talking about

This sounds like it's from an alternate timeline where induce lactation as a form of steroids or something.

There's a trans woman with a video of herself breastfeeding her baby and chuds are flipping out about it.
https://twitter.com/TRHLofficial/status/1677360248925954064?t=jWytXPPnd-5NcW3TRF_tnw&s=19

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Breast feeding is gross, YUCK!!!! Ban that filth! 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Nenonen posted:

Breast feeding is gross, YUCK!!!! Ban that filth! 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

It's only bad if it comes from (what they consider) to be gross icky man boobs.
When it comes from patriotic cis mommy milkers, it's fine.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Do campaign ads count? Because hoooo boy :stare:
https://twitter.com/CaseyDeSantis/status/1677061896317353988?t=mP6T95GHAItO9CSDcb95QQ&s=19

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Does any other democratic country have campaign ads like the US?

Canadian campaign ads just never hit this kind of fever pitch action movie trailer level of insanity and I can't of any other country where it does

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Me, a man in his late thirties, who wants to use logic to reason with Boomers who conflate Millennials and Gen Z: "Okay, remember when you were in your late 30's?? Did you have a lot of commonalities with 19 year olds?"

It doesn't work. And it should work! Because when awful Boomers were our age grunge and Genx and Nirvana and all that was happening and they definitely weren't a part of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Me, a man in his late thirties, who wants to use logic to reason with Boomers who conflate Millennials and Gen Z: "Okay, remember when you were in your late 30's?? Did you have a lot of commonalities with 19 year olds?"

It doesn't work. And it should work! Because when awful Boomers were our age grunge and Genx and Nirvana and all that was happening and they definitely weren't a part of that.

Yeah, all they're going to see is "Younger than me."