Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Oh thank God there's a unified pass for most of it, that's a relief. Thanks for clarifying! It sounds like Hakone could be the most complicated place to get to, but there is a direct route:

- Get to Shinjuku Station
- Don't take the Yamanote Line (unless I want a transfer)
- Instead, take the Odakyu Romancecar all the way to Hakone Yumoto Station
- This is not part of Pasmo or Suica; I'd need to buy a roundtrip ticket at Shinjuku Station

The timetable is here, and I gotta figure out how the gently caress to read this since I'd like Hakone to be a day trip. So, I need to figure out how early I can go there and when I need to be heading back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

so more detail:

Shinjuku Station is home to like five different train companies' lines. So if you've ridden the train to Shinjuku and going from the JR lines to the Metro lines, or to the Odakyu Line, you're exiting the payment gate of JR and then walking to the entry of that other line (eg Odakyu to get to Hakone). So in the case of taking the good ol' Romancecar down for the Hakone trip, you'd go to the ticket panels there and I believe there are still Hakone Day Passes from Odakyu that include train fare plus some other sights to see in the cost of your ticket (and I don't think that Day Pass is much more expensive than the train fare/seat fare by itself).

surf rock posted:

Oh thank God there's a unified pass for most of it, that's a relief. Thanks for clarifying! It sounds like Hakone could be the most complicated place to get to, but there is a direct route:

- Get to Shinjuku Station
- Don't take the Yamanote Line (unless I want a transfer)
- Instead, take the Odakyu Romancecar all the way to Hakone Yumoto Station
- This is not part of Pasmo or Suica; I'd need to buy a roundtrip ticket at Shinjuku Station

The timetable is here, and I gotta figure out how the gently caress to read this since I'd like Hakone to be a day trip. So, I need to figure out how early I can go there and when I need to be heading back.

Using the Shinjuku outbound side as an example, you want to find the train times that go from Shinjuku (001, top of the 'blue' section) to Hakone-Yumoto (7211, bottom of blue section). Looks like the earliest direct express Romancecar on weekdays departs Shinjuku at 7:37 am, and arrives at Hakone-Yumoto at 9:22 am. Going the other direction, the last direct train on a weekday departs Hakone-Yumoto at 7:50 pm and arrives back at Shinjuku at 9:26 pm. Note that there are other slower non-express trains that should also get you there (and be covered by the day pass ticket) but the express is the express for good reason, try to avoid the locals if only because they take a ton of time.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Question Mark Mound posted:

For the transit card, you can also get a digital one rather than a physical card for Apple Pay / Google Pay if you’re like me and want to carry as little stuff as possible. Just tap your phone onto the pad on the turnstile and on you go.

I found myself unable to load any money onto an Apple Wallet Pasmo card with my US credit card. Did some reading and that seems to be a recurring thing but there wasn't that much talk about it. Are you loading the account with a non-Japanese credit card? Is there a trick to it?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A lot of vendors in Japan have issues with credit cards issued by banks in other countries or just flat out refuse to accept them as payment.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
On my last trip I was just topping up the mobile Suica using Apple Pay tied to my UK payment card. Though it seems like it’s not always so reliable based on here and other reports (and was it visa or Mastercard that just didn’t work at all for a long time?) so I may have gotten lucky.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

It may have been Visa and is ongoing; both of the cards I have are Visas and neither would work for me.

(Though, Surf Rock, don't worry regardless because worst case is that you put some money into a ticket machine and refill your card that way. It's still easy!)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Midjack posted:

A lot of vendors in Japan have issues with credit cards issued by banks in other countries or just flat out refuse to accept them as payment.

There are still plenty of cash only places, but this last trip I'd say the majority of places I went accepted credit cards and my international one was no problem. I was surprised how much it's changed since last time I was there.

The only time I couldn't use my card at a place that theoretically accepted them was getting shinkansen tickets from the ticket machines. Had to go the counter.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

surf rock posted:

For folks who are knowledgeable about Japan's public transit system, though, I wanted to check first: is Google leading me astray with any of these? Like, are any of these bullshit directions? From what I can tell, these different transit options should be categorized as:

You're thinking too hard about inner tokyo transportation. Just get an IC Pass and call it a day.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Ended up booking a room at Hotel Century Southern Tower! Such a relief to have all my flights and lodging settled.

I've been working through my itinerary, which is a lot more fun. For the more event-based days:

- I just learned that there's an actual sumo tournament happening at Ryōgoku Kokugikan while I'm there! I was going to go to a sumo morning practice, but I feel like I should pivot. (EDIT: wait, I was looking at this site and I realized it's probably not the official site; I think it's this one and I've gotta wait until August 10 for this too)
- I'm planning to go to a Yakult Swallows game, but tickets aren't on sale for that yet.
- I was hoping to do a pro wrestling show, but it doesn't look like any of the September events have been scheduled yet for the various companies so I gotta wait and see there.
- I was also hoping to see a one-act kabuki show, but I think September events for those also haven't been scheduled yet, and it seems like the service that provides English captioning isn't active at the moment either, so that seems unlikely at the moment.

ntan1 posted:

Just get an IC Pass and call it a day.

Yup, others explained it

surf rock fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 2, 2023

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Wow, nice hotels in Nagoya are ludicrously cheap! I’m only there for one night so I’m torn on “get a fairly normal hotel for basically nothing” or “get a needlessly nice hotel by my standards for the cost of a super budget place anywhere else in the world”

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

surf rock posted:

- I just learned that there's an actual sumo tournament happening at Ryōgoku Kokugikan while I'm there! I was going to go to a sumo morning practice, but I feel like I should pivot. (EDIT: wait, I was looking at this site and I realized it's probably not the official site; I think it's this one and I've gotta wait until August 10 for this too)

This is what you're looking for: https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnTicket/year_schedule/

Swallows tix shouldn't be hard to get, but I can recommend seeing a game at any of the Tokyo area stadiums. The Swallows stadium is charming and kind of minor league feeling (and also possibly going away soon); Tokyo Dome is more in line with an MLB stadium and also loud.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Wow, nice hotels in Nagoya are ludicrously cheap! I’m only there for one night so I’m torn on “get a fairly normal hotel for basically nothing” or “get a needlessly nice hotel by my standards for the cost of a super budget place anywhere else in the world”

Are you just hitting up Ghibli Park or do you have other plans as well. I live in Nagoya so I can give you the low down or recommendations if you are looking for something.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

teddust posted:

Are you just hitting up Ghibli Park or do you have other plans as well. I live in Nagoya so I can give you the low down or recommendations if you are looking for something.
We’re doing Ghibli park during the day and then when it closes at I think 5pm we’ll have the evening free in Nagoya for shopping and food before heading off to Tokyo the morning after.

Recommendations are always welcome, thanks! We’re at the Ghibli park specifically for my partner’s birthday (so long as we can get tickets of course) but anything fun/romantic that can be done in the evening would be awesome.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I found Ghibli Park underwhelming and crowded. The Toyota museum nearby was cool though.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

If your dates work for when Tokugawaen has night viewing it's really beautiful: https://www.tokugawaen.aichi.jp/event/index.html . A lot of the cool stuff to do at night depends on when you are visiting.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Busy Bee posted:

I found Ghibli Park underwhelming and crowded. The Toyota museum nearby was cool though.
Yeah I keep hearing it’s a bit of a let down, but it’s one of the main requests she’s made for the trip outside of Super Nintendo World so I don’t wanna be “that guy” and try to talk her out of it. At the very least, hopefully the Princess Mononoke section might be finished by the time we arrive.

teddust posted:

If your dates work for when Tokugawaen has night viewing it's really beautiful: https://www.tokugawaen.aichi.jp/event/index.html . A lot of the cool stuff to do at night depends on when you are visiting.
Sadly not for the park but I’ll keep an eye out for date-specific stuff, thanks! We’ll be there on the night of October 30th.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Any suggestions on where to find Pokémon cards in Tokyo?

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

socketwrencher posted:

There are a lot of card shops near Akihabara, mainly along the street on the west side that goes up to Suehirocho station.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

https://nijigennomori.com/en/

Dragon Quest, Naruto, Godzilla, Crayon Shinchan theme park (each area is ticketed separately).

We've only done the DQ area. It was nice and chill, like golfing for nerds.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

socketwrencher posted:

Many of the Book-Off stores I’ve been to recently are adding CCG/Pokémon areas, if you’re looking for something specific. Otherwise the toy floor of electronics or department stores (Bic Camera, Yodobashi, Yamada; AEON, Ito-Yokado, etc) have new packs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also any of the Weeb poo poo areas like Nakano Broadway have tons of card stores. I dunno about Pokemon in particular, I didn't look in them since I'm not a cards guy, but there were a lot of places dedicated to just selling cards.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Weeb poo poo.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

teddust posted:

There are a lot of card shops near Akihabara, mainly along the street on the west side that goes up to Suehirocho station.

There's at least one card shop in Akibahabara that won't sell Pokemon cards to adults though due to them buying up so many cards there's nothing left for the kids. Dunno if its just 1 or more, but probably better to do card shopping outside of Akiba.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Thanks all, much appreciated- there's a 12 year old in the group who'll be looking for Pokémon and Naruto stuff.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

socketwrencher posted:

https://adayofzen.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-buying-pokemon-cards-in-tokyo

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
There's also a Pokemon card thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963503&pagenumber=15&perpage=40

They probably have some additional suggestions

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pokemon card sales have gotten a little weird lately. We had to bring IDs for our kids to buy them at the toy store at the mall.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

jfc

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

LyonsLions posted:

Pokemon card sales have gotten a little weird lately. We had to bring IDs for our kids to buy them at the toy store at the mall.

What on earth? Why? Is there like a printer ink crisis? Googling it makes it even more perplexing for me;

https://gamerant.com/japan-store-id-buy-pokemon-cards-snow-hazard-and-clay-burst/

Also do kids in Japan even have IDs? I don't think I had an ID until I was like 13. I'm also impressed that Pokemon cards are still that popular 20 years after they came out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Because adults are buying all the cards for resale, to the point of there being literally none around for kids, so some stores started restricting sales to adults.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ebay has ruined things for everyone.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saladman posted:

What on earth? Why? Is there like a printer ink crisis? Googling it makes it even more perplexing for me;

https://gamerant.com/japan-store-id-buy-pokemon-cards-snow-hazard-and-clay-burst/

Also do kids in Japan even have IDs? I don't think I had an ID until I was like 13. I'm also impressed that Pokemon cards are still that popular 20 years after they came out.

I’m not aware of the finer details of the transaction because it was my husband and son who arranged it, but basically they weren’t just selling them in the store and they had to make a reservation to buy them, and then return on the designated date with both children and their IDs. Kids have insurance cards as IDs, or some kids might have My Number cards or passports.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I still have all my Pokemon TCG from the late 90s at my parents' house in my old dresser. Are you telling me I could be a pokemon MILLIONAIRE???

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

AHH F/UGH posted:

I still have all my Pokemon TCG from the late 90s at my parents' house in my old dresser. Are you telling me I could be a pokemon MILLIONAIRE???

Well I just looked at my old magic cards and apparently my deck, if the cards were mint (they're not) is worth a few thousand. So... Even in this condition, they're a fair bit of change. So yeah. You say that but you might actually have a bunch of money in old printed pieces of paper.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

If they are in mint condition then yes it could be worth a lot of money. But even brand new cards straight from the pack aren't even guaranteed to get a PSA 10 score.

I also had a binder full of Pokemon cards from the 90s and I organized everything and put them into a hard sleeve recently. I created a Google Sheet and if they were all PSA 10, it would individually be worth around $200,000. But I don't have any 10's, probably more around 7 to 8 range, a few 9's and if I sold them individually I could get around $5,000 to $10,000 for it.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

If people want to give me a bunch of their money in exchange for useless slips of cardstock that I haven't thought about in 25 years then I should make this my priority

I pray to god my dopehead brother didn't steal them years ago or something in that case. Bless.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
This article seems to click with what I know about Japan re: singing at karaoke, not being a picky eater, etc. Is this article and/or site pretty good at educating foreigners about how to melt in?

https://japanintercultural.com/free-resources/articles/socializing-in-japan-handling-common-tricky-areas/

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Are you going on holiday or are you moving there?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

totalnewbie posted:

Are you going on holiday or are you moving there?

Strongly considering moving there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

olives black posted:

This article seems to click with what I know about Japan re: singing at karaoke, not being a picky eater, etc. Is this article and/or site pretty good at educating foreigners about how to melt in?

https://japanintercultural.com/free-resources/articles/socializing-in-japan-handling-common-tricky-areas/
This type of garbage is based on the assumption that Japanese people are a monolith who all think and act the same way about everything, it just rehashes lazy stereotypes from 40 years ago. I'm actually really surprised people are still pumping out this poo poo as "advice" on how to live here.