Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BitBasher posted:

Best cooking guide I've seen for the math behind it and not recipes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tearsofthekingdom/comments/149jn7f/cooking_in_tears_of_the_kingdom_getting_the_most/

It's been 100% spot on

EDIT: I would copy it here but it's too long and wouldn't really work. You'll see if you check it out.

Aha! I wondered if critters had different qualities. Thanks for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Is there a "right" way to do anything in this game? I think I ended up ahead of where I was supposed to be by going to the giant thunderstorm. Now I'm assembling some robot but have only gone through one of the regional phenomena. Should I put the construct factory thing aside while I complete the rest of the regional phenomena?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The only thing that’ll “break” if you finish the robot early is a few cutscenes will be massively out of order, but even that will be less so if you’ve done even a single one of the regional phenomena

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Some (probably all?) of the regional phenomena can’t be completed if you don’t progress through the main quest for that region. You can get quite far but will eventually hit a brick wall that forces you to go back and do it all again the “right” way. They have a mechanic that you need something very specific to pass. These stick out like a sore thumb because yeah you can do almost anything else the moment you jump off tutorial island if you’re crazy enough.

The thing you are working on is in the crazy but possible bucket fwiw :v:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 7, 2023

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Docjowles posted:

Some (probably all?) of the regional phenomena can’t be completed if you don’t progress through the main quest for that region. You can get quite far but will eventually hit a brick wall that forces you to go back and do it all again the “right” way. They have a mechanic that you need something very specific to pass. These stick out like a sore thumb because yeah you can do almost anything else the moment you jump off tutorial island if you’re crazy enough.

Yeah, fairly certain each regional phenomena temple requires the helper person be with you to activate the main thingamabob in the middle that’s needed to progress to the end of it.

At least it can make sense from a story perspective since each temple is really more for the sage than for the swordsman.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Docjowles posted:

Yeah - I did the Rito one and it was very clear I needed Tulin to complete the temple. The robot wasn't tied to one of the regional phenomena - it was just in the storm cloud.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

HPanda posted:

Yeah, fairly certain each regional phenomena temple requires the helper person be with you to activate the main thingamabob in the middle that’s needed to progress to the end of it.

At least it can make sense from a story perspective since each temple is really more for the sage than for the swordsman.

Weirdly, the Lightning temple doesn't even let you get to that point, it locks you out from even finding the temple. You can do all the puzzles and everything, but the thing you need to trigger to open up the entrance requires the helper's ability to access.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sab0921 posted:

Yeah - I did the Rito one and it was very clear I needed Tulin to complete the temple. The robot wasn't tied to one of the regional phenomena - it was just in the storm cloud.

I did this last night too, as I found the robot factory during my underground exploration.

I had been looking for Dragonhead Island for a while before I decided to brave the only place I hadn't looked yet.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Karia posted:

Weirdly, the Lightning temple doesn't even let you get to that point, it locks you out from even finding the temple. You can do all the puzzles and everything, but the thing you need to trigger to open up the entrance requires the helper's ability to access.

The fact that they did this for some, but not all, of the temples makes it all the more annoying that you can get 98% of the way through the Wind temple before they tell you "lol u did it wrong idiot, start over" :argh:

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
Beat the game last night. The finale was so loving good. Spent about half an hour randomly tabbing round the thread to look for ending discussion but couldn't find any.

My final play session consisted of discovering ganon by chance as I just really wanted to get to the depths under hyrule castle. I made my way through the dungeon slowly realizing that it was probably the ganon encounter but kept going anyway. I got stuck on the rock em sock em robot because I didn't have mineru and I didn't realize that you could just hit the mech with the sword (who would even think to just hit a zelda boss with your sword).

I then went back and finished the geoglyphs, got the master sword and accidentally discovered mineru.

The mineru reveal and the zelda reveal were both really loving good for me, somehow I'd had neither spoiled.

I think it's easily the best final act in zelda history, with only Ocarina being even close.

because it was 5am I forgot to prep gannondorf with anti gloom food. Then on like my third try I realized I had dark clumps and tried to cook them into dark resistant food but hosed it up somehow and got dubious food. I died and the save point was apparently after I turned the dark clumps into dubious foods so I had to beat him without any gloom healing, which turned into a really fun challenge actually.

The dragon spectacle fight is a really good spectacle fight, probably the best of it's kind i've seen. The way zelda catches you feels super organic and real, must have been a bitch to program.

There are a ton of things that I still haven't finished

The water temple
The yiga quest
the stable quest
going to hyrule castle
going to the deku tree
I've given the materials for Lurelin but have only built one of the houses

but i had been a weird hermit for long enough that it was starting to annoy the people in my life so probably good to take a break for a bit and then come back to it

dodgeblan fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 7, 2023

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I was one of those people who was super negative on totk once we found out that it was going to reuse the same map because exploration is the main focus of zelda games for me.

When all the reviews were like 'hey this is amazing' I was like 'it can't be THAT good' but in the end I think it's as good, even better.

It feels to me as if it captures the promise of an adventure game that you would daydream about as a 12 year old, better than pretty much anything that has come before. Well maybe dark souls 1, but dark souls had to be insanely hard to capture that feeling. This game is somehow completely captivating while not being crushingly hard. I loving love it.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Docjowles posted:

The fact that they did this for some, but not all, of the temples makes it all the more annoying that you can get 98% of the way through the Wind temple before they tell you "lol u did it wrong idiot, start over" :argh:

You don't even get the fast travel point? That's harsh.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vanadium posted:

nope

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

dodgeblan posted:

It feels to me as if it captures the promise of an adventure game that you would daydream about as a 12 year old, better than pretty much anything that has come before.

Same. Nintendo has a funny problem for me, where every new 3D game they announce starts with me going "I'll buy it for sure, but how many times can they set a game in Hyrule and make Hyrule interesting?" (since they went from Hyrule to Termina with MM) and every time, the cynic in me melts within 15 minutes of pressing play. I end up with the same sense of wonder and curiosity that i had when leaving the kokiri forest for the first time in OOT.

One thing on my wishlist for the next game is a populated city map, like in Twilight Princess. Castle Town felt huge in that game, and they haven't quite scratched that same itch with BOTW/TOTK despite having pretty filled-in regional cities. They came pretty dang close with Gerudo Town this time around though

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Vanadium posted:

I thought you do? I know it's marked in orange on my map.
Anyways I have a hoverbike this time so it won't be hard to get back

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

dodgeblan posted:

I was one of those people who was super negative on totk once we found out that it was going to reuse the same map because exploration is the main focus of zelda games for me.

When all the reviews were like 'hey this is amazing' I was like 'it can't be THAT good' but in the end I think it's as good, even better.

It feels to me as if it captures the promise of an adventure game that you would daydream about as a 12 year old, better than pretty much anything that has come before. Well maybe dark souls 1, but dark souls had to be insanely hard to capture that feeling. This game is somehow completely captivating while not being crushingly hard. I loving love it.

Yeah the concept of TOTK wasn't well received at all at first. Same engine as 2017 Zelda, same map, on an aging console that's nearing the end of its life.

But then holy gently caress. A masterclass in gameplay, atmosphere, art design, world building. I'm not even close to finishing it yet but even story wise this is a richer game, with better production values than BOTW. Nintendo once again setting a higher standard for open world games, and this one feels almost impossible to reach. And god it feels sooo good to play, everything is so tactile, everything feels right where it should be.

I can even forgive the loving rain. It still pisses me off but whatever Nintendo, you win I guess.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'd be cool with another go-round with this Hyrule map if they flesh it out more. Fix up Hyrule castle and give us a nice castle town. Rebuild Lon Lon Ranch. Or hell, turn Lookout Landing into a real town too.

With the depths they just built, they could have the surface world just be normal for everyone. No existential threat for people on the surface, they just get to live their regular lives. People are always asking for a post-ganon world to run around in, so give it to us. A normal surface world where people are building lives and getting back to normal after 100 years. You keep the bokoblins and moblins and whatnot, but maybe they are normal and aren't as aggressive. With the little camps they make, they seem to me like they should be somewhat intelligent, but definitely primitive. Maybe they can have their own little mini territories where you can go in there, but they will get aggressive with outsiders. Otherwise you can steer clear and they will leave you alone.

Then in the depths, you can have people start building up settlements or mining camps to get the zonaite. They've got elevators and whatnot to get down the chasms. But oh no, some sort of ancient evil got unleashed, or the twilight realm, or zant or whatever is happening. So all the monsters down there are still aggressive and then it turns out the miners dug down into the depths and found temples/dungeons down there.

Mostly, I just want the people of Hyrule to catch a break for once. Also, they start using the zonai devices to do cool poo poo.

Or hell, do the picori thing. Let us shrink down and visit picori villages. Or give us some Deku Scrubs.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
"wow, they're telling me to do this quest. I think I'll ignore it and do what I want."

"What do you mean I have to progress quests to finish dungeons?!????"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Verdugo posted:

"wow, they're telling me to do this quest. I think I'll ignore it and do what I want."

"What do you mean I have to progress quests to finish dungeons?!????"

Sequence breaking is one of the best things about open worlds

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I did plenty of sequence breaking if all the "Quest name" "Quest name Completed" things I got.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
In fairness, this game has very, very few things that have to be linear, and they’re effectively contained within themselves (regional phenomena quests having to be done from start to finish to reach the end of that particular quest). Even with the temples, there’s just one as far as I know that can’t be accessed without the quest. Yeah, you can’t finish the others, but it’s really just the boss at that point.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
geoglyph question

can you encounter the light dragon before you get the final geoglyph?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

dodgeblan posted:

geoglyph question

Yes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yes

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

dodgeblan posted:

geoglyph question

Yes, as noted, but you're probably going to need some insane flying contraption to actually reach it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

I'd be cool with another go-round with this Hyrule map if they flesh it out more. Fix up Hyrule castle and give us a nice castle town. Rebuild Lon Lon Ranch. Or hell, turn Lookout Landing into a real town too.

With the depths they just built, they could have the surface world just be normal for everyone. No existential threat for people on the surface, they just get to live their regular lives. People are always asking for a post-ganon world to run around in, so give it to us. A normal surface world where people are building lives and getting back to normal after 100 years. You keep the bokoblins and moblins and whatnot, but maybe they are normal and aren't as aggressive. With the little camps they make, they seem to me like they should be somewhat intelligent, but definitely primitive. Maybe they can have their own little mini territories where you can go in there, but they will get aggressive with outsiders. Otherwise you can steer clear and they will leave you alone.

Then in the depths, you can have people start building up settlements or mining camps to get the zonaite. They've got elevators and whatnot to get down the chasms. But oh no, some sort of ancient evil got unleashed, or the twilight realm, or zant or whatever is happening. So all the monsters down there are still aggressive and then it turns out the miners dug down into the depths and found temples/dungeons down there.

Mostly, I just want the people of Hyrule to catch a break for once. Also, they start using the zonai devices to do cool poo poo.

Or hell, do the picori thing. Let us shrink down and visit picori villages. Or give us some Deku Scrubs.

Hyrule is getting a well-deserved break for once

Things are going well, the castle is intact and populated, as are all the villages

The enemy this time is no longer a giant disaster or an invading army, this time there is a subversive force encouraging unrest, distrust and rebellion

A mysterious insider in Hyrule castle is spreading rumors that princess Zelda is a totalitarian dictator and that her champion Link is corrupt.

The kingdom is split and Civil War seems inevitable

Nobody has seen the whistleblower exposing the corruption in Hyrule castle. He leaves letters in every village and says he must maintain his anonymity for his own protection

He signs all his letters with the nickname G-Anon

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zelda is currently arrested and being held in a secret prison and the "Zelda" going around is a deep state body double.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Zelda is currently arrested and being held in a secret prison and the "Zelda" going around is a deep state body double.

She had her time as princesss and what did we get? A hunnert years a calamity. If ya ask me, we oughta lock her up, I tell ya what. We're gonna build a lid over all them there chasms and the bokoblins is gon pay for em.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I thought the bit in BOTW where the Gerudo Champion says Link ate a rock he gave him was just Link being accomodating and putting the rock in his mouth or something. I'm a fool, a damned fool. I should have realized that OF COURSE Link would somehow actually have eaten the rock, as I only jut discovered in TOTK that you can straight up just cook rocks at a cooking pot and Link absolutely will eat them. He looks troubled at first but he munches 'em down, and once he's actually swallowed them he does the same,"Ahhh, that hits the spot!" happy smile :allears:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pro challenge: beat the game with healing only allowed using dishes cooked from inedible non-food items

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Jerusalem posted:

I thought the bit in BOTW where the Gerudo Champion says Link ate a rock he gave him was just Link being accomodating and putting the rock in his mouth or something. I'm a fool, a damned fool. I should have realized that OF COURSE Link would somehow actually have eaten the rock, as I only jut discovered in TOTK that you can straight up just cook rocks at a cooking pot and Link absolutely will eat them. He looks troubled at first but he munches 'em down, and once he's actually swallowed them he does the same,"Ahhh, that hits the spot!" happy smile :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpvEfDofZgs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's bizarre, I have NO memory of this scene! I assume it is from BOTW?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's from Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Asimo posted:

Yes, as noted, but you're probably going to need some insane flying contraption to actually reach it.

You don't even need to do that. There are places it will fly low enough that you can just simply take a tower up into the sky and glide over to it

You do have to catch it at just the right time though. I happened to get lucky

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
he doesnt even look incredulous, he looks eager?? what the gently caress. this, more than anything else, proves that botw-era link is a loving cryptid. no wonder his swings shatter swords, his teeth and bones are the hardest materials known to man

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTRtWOYja3U

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My God, I love him so much :xd:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Dudes rock

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Gruckles posted:

Dude's rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/satougashi020/status/1677383960677216256?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA