Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

credburn posted:

When I was interviewed for 7-Eleven, I was asked questions that I thought were inappropriate and irrelevant, but they turned out not to be.

My boss: Do you drink?
Me: Are you allowed to ask that question in an interview?
Boss: Uh, well... I guess what I mean is, are you going to show up to work drunk?
Me: No.
Boss: Okay. Do you smoke? I mean, marijuana, specifically?
Me: Not when I'm at work.
Boss: Okay. It's been a problem.

Lol when I first worked retail during my 90 day review my manager said “oh thank god it’s you, you never show up drunk” and I had enough Presbyterianism rattling around my brain to think he was making a joke because why on earth would anyone do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol when I first worked retail during my 90 day review my manager said “oh thank god it’s you, you never show up drunk” and I had enough Presbyterianism rattling around my brain to think he was making a joke because why on earth would anyone do that?

One my coworkers offered to come back after his shift on July 4th and bring us mixed drinks.

"Buddy, getting drunk at this job would be a waste of good alcohol."

Besides, the restaurant next door opens a 1700. lovely, overpriced food, but the bar is very good.

Dumb poo poo my work does: Next to no formal, in depth training for anyone, as far as I can tell. Fuckin'... send it and hope you didn't gently caress things up badly enough to get in trouble.

Today's example is that my register got hit up for $250 cash-back total, $50 at a time. I start with $100 in the till and leave $100 in at end of shift. At $200 cash-back, I ran so low I literally couldn't complete a transaction. Asked the manager, who yanked $100 from petty cash, $50 for the customer and $50 for my till. I'm still checking people out and that $50 goes out as change very quickly. gently caress, now all I have is $20 bills and small change. Break the $20s from petty cash and at end of shift, I have $26 and change left. How the gently caress do I make it $100 then?

It took four phone calls to figure out we weren't supposed to touch petty cash (the gently caress is it for, then?!), and should have just let me run out of money. The advice we were given was to take money out of the deposit at the end of the night to build my drawer back up, taking more money from the deposit to get petty cash to where it's supposed to be. I think. All four people contradicted each other.

gently caress me, this is cash handling 101. Why do we allow cash-back if we don't have a way to refill the register?
Why does the point of sale system allow us to give more cash-back than is in the damned till? Why does no one seem to know what to do about that except refuse cash-back (in direct contradiction to company policy)? Why don't I know the answers to these questions. What the gently caress is this Mickey Mouse bullshit?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

At least no one tried to pay for $10 worth of poo poo with a $100 bill. I can refuse that poo poo. This is a loving dollar store, not a dollar bank!
We even had an ATM, before someone drove their car through the front doors and stole the thing.

Bunch of savages in this town. I swear.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

peanut posted:

What song would you sing at karaoke?

https://youtu.be/s-jfQr3jlqY

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

madeintaipei posted:

At least no one tried to pay for $10 worth of poo poo with a $100 bill. I can refuse that poo poo. This is a loving dollar store, not a dollar bank!

I hated that poo poo so much. We only keep 20 dollars in the till, and I can only get 20 dollars out of the safe every five minutes. I would tell customers, I can break this fuckin hundred, but you're going to have to wait around for twenty minutes if you want change, and they'd get so loving angry at me.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

diremonk posted:

A couple weeks ago we get an announcement that the CEO of our county (top non-elected official) is leaving. So my boss has our team running around making a goodbye video with about 20-30 different people like the sheriff, fire chief, department heads, etc. She strongly suggests that we also record ourselves wishing him well. I say that I'd rather not which annoys her, but I hate being on camera and think doing a goodbye video for my boss is kind of lame when I don't really work with him on a regular basis. I mean, he knows me but we aren't friends.

So they've spent about two weeks doing this video, they spend four hours on Monday going over every second of it, trimming extra noise out, tweaking it over and over again. This all for a video that will probably never be shown to the public, will move than likely be played once, and it's not like it is for a retirement party. He's leaving to go to another county after being here for six years.

Doesn't seem like a good use of taxpayer dollars doing this. More like one last bit of sucking up by my boss.

2 years ago my company spent a solid 5 figures doing a promo vid for our site that runs on a loop in our lobby and 9 out of 10 people shown in that video don’t work here anymore lol

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

My old office building was a converted stately home, each room made into a small or medium sized office. Lots of people brought dogs - they couldn't wander around the building and it was out in the country so great for walks. When I dogsat for family, I would take that dog in too, it was great.
Then we moved to a new build open plan office on the same business park. Someone had a dog allergy, so blanket ban on all dogs. :(

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Look I love office dogs, they made office life bearable, but now that I'm remote and have more time for my pets at home, and they have such a better life for it, it's hard not to feel like office life is the 'making it work' version of pet ownership. Even the dogs become subject to office decorum to a certain extent and there's etiquette to when you can and can't tend to the animals needs. Being able to walk/play with your dog at pretty much anytime, vs between meetings, just feels so much better for everyone involved.

I'm not saying no office dogs, just that this is what goes on in my mind bc I'm too bleeding heart in favor of animals lol. Absolutely still bring your dogs, I must pet them all.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 7, 2023

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Barudak posted:

Long time ago:

"What is your greatest weakness?"

"Sometimes I get so angry I just have to slap the customer"

I hope you hired this guy

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Look I love office dogs, they made office life bearable, but now that I'm remote and have more time for my pets at home, and they have such a better life for it, it's hard not to feel like office life is the 'making it work' version of pet ownership. Even the dogs become subject to office decorum to a certain extent and there's etiquette to when you can and can't tend to the animals needs. Being able to walk/play with your dog at pretty much anytime, vs between meetings, just feels so much better for everyone involved.

I'm not saying no office dogs, just that this is what goes on in my mind bc I'm too bleeding heart in favor of animals lol. Absolutely still bring your dogs, I must pet them all.

Yeah dogs are good but sometimes run across young coworkers insisting they are making pet ownership work by rushing home during every break and lunch to tend to the pet who is alone. Although at least that person cared, another mentioned you could have two dogs in your studio apt all day if you simply train them to poop in the tub. :negative:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Damnit, forgot my coworker is on a manufacturing work week schedule when I told him "yeah my Friday's free, schedule the meeting then!"

loving 430pm meeting on a Friday come the fuuuuuck on homie

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

StrangersInTheNight posted:

getting to be around my pets all day is probably the single best part of working from home. they won't be around forever and one day when their time comes I hate the idea of thinking of all the time they spent alone at home because I was at work. they haven't known a life without my wife and I being home all the time for years now and I think their lives are much fuller for it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Where I used to work weekends were unpaid and you had to work roughly every other Saturday, and sometimes Sunday also. One time I did 19 straight days.

Anyway, one Saturday morning after I had gone out and gotten positively shitfaced the night before my coworker called me and said he had an emergency and could I come cover him? I was leaving the job in about 2 months and he offered to cover the rest of my weekends if I came in.

I showed up and my boss had been covering him till I got there. He took one look at me and saw I was teetering between still drunk and massively hung over and asked if I could hold it together 5 hours so he could go take a nap and he’d come back and do the rest of the shift. I managed a thumbs up.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress kind of workhouse prison was that?

Angry-Alphs
Feb 24, 2019

teemolover42069 posted:

getting to be around my pets all day is probably the single best part of working from home. they won't be around forever and one day when their time comes I hate the idea of thinking of all the time they spent alone at home because I was at work. they haven't known a life without my wife and I being home all the time for years now and I think their lives are much fuller for it.

Covid shutting down office work and forcing my job to implement WFH was from a work perspective the best thing they've ever done.

Especially since it meant i could spend time with and care for my at the time 13 year old dog from march 2020 till i had to let him go august 2022 at age 16.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

goatface posted:

Unpaid weekends? I didn’t like showing up at a gas station at 5am Saturday or pushing shopping carts in rainstorms until 11pm but the company was playing it straight with pay.

Angry-Alphs posted:

Covid shutting down office work and forcing my job to implement WFH was from a work perspective the best thing they've ever done.

Especially since it meant i could spend time with and care for my at the time 13 year old dog from march 2020 till i had to let him go august 2022 at age 16.

Poor puppy :( good you got extra time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you’re not paying me I’m not working

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

goatface posted:

The wonderful world of being an exempt employee in a manufacturing plant!

Although at least it’s my former job. My current one is sort of better I guess. I still work 9-10 hours a day without any sort of overtime pay but if I have to work a weekend here I get a day off somewhere else. Also I catch a ton of poo poo for not calling in to meetings when I’m on vacation but I still don’t do it.

I’m looking for something better but turns out manufacturing is a lovely place to work.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

goatface posted:

On program!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Angry-Alphs posted:

We started the pandemic doing two days in the office, three WFH just because we had hands-on stuff there we had to do, but eventually moved to 3 days in. When they found a mass on my dog's liver in 2021, my boss immediately told me to finish the week working from home, then the next week after the oncologist confirmed it was cancer, he pulled me into a conference room, we had a good cry about how great dogs are, then he ended with "He's probably loved having you at home so much so, I need you in on Wednesdays for the team meeting, but otherwise, just work from home."

This company sucks hard in a lot of ways, but my boss is awesome.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Johnny Truant posted:

Damnit, forgot my coworker is on a manufacturing work week schedule when I told him "yeah my Friday's free, schedule the meeting then!"

loving 430pm meeting on a Friday come the fuuuuuck on homie

I scheduled a meeting every Friday at 4:30. The attendees are all managers. :laugh:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The wonderful world of being an exempt employee in a manufacturing plant!

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
I worked at a bowling alley bar for a while. When I got settled in with the rest of the staff, the owner of the place sat down at the bar one Sunday afternoon and began chatting me up. I thought he was being a cool guy trying to get to know his employees, until he started talking about loving Amway products, and whipped out brochures and poo poo. He seemed to indicate that it would help my employment if I joined in on his pyramid scheme but I saved him the trouble and just stopped showing up to that place too. It was just something to make some spare bucks on the side so gently caress that guy.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I overheard an engineer loudly complaining once about a meeting that had been scheduled for 4pm. He incredulously asked why anyone would schedule a meeting for 4pm.
The manager's very dry answer: "Because we work until 4:30" was pretty funny and shut him up

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

madeintaipei posted:

Dumb poo poo my work does: Next to no formal, in depth training for anyone, as far as I can tell. Fuckin'... send it and hope you didn't gently caress things up badly enough to get in trouble.

We're trying to get some training going for new SMEs at the factories that are coming on board. The old way was the old SMEs taught the new SMEs. Now there are no old SMEs. And since we as a company chronically cannot document anythi g or even write anything down at all, we have nothing to go by. So we're trying to figure out how to get new SMEs up to speed any way we can. The current solution is to get the customer support team to train the SMEs as the customer support team has been doing factory support as well since all the old SMEs left. The customer support team wasn't trained by the old SMEs or anyone, they just drank from the firehose for a while.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Have the new person spend 7 days with your boomer colleague, then tell them to never ever do anything the same way as Dipshit von Boomer does it or suggests it should be done.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

PureEvil6_13 posted:

I worked at a bowling alley bar for a while. When I got settled in with the rest of the staff, the owner of the place sat down at the bar one Sunday afternoon and began chatting me up. I thought he was being a cool guy trying to get to know his employees, until he started talking about loving Amway products, and whipped out brochures and poo poo. He seemed to indicate that it would help my employment if I joined in on his pyramid scheme but I saved him the trouble and just stopped showing up to that place too. It was just something to make some spare bucks on the side so gently caress that guy.

Lol I’m sure they exist but I’ve never met a competent Amway salesman. A housemate sold for them, and when meeting him he seemed to remember this was his income so I learned their soap is “good” immediately followed by an inquiry of how many I would be ordering.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Angry-Alphs posted:

Oh yeah WFH is what let me take care of my dog through her cancer treatment as she went through. I had to let her go a couple weeks ago just a bit short of 12 but she got to have a really spoiled last several months like she deserved.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

SerthVarnee posted:

Have the new person spend 7 days with your boomer colleague, then tell them to never ever do anything the same way as Dipshit von Boomer does it or suggests it should be done.

Guess who my boss wants to run the training.

Boomer coworker also came down today to complain about how the government is going to tax his Social Security benefits. Also talked about his 3 pensions and how much all the property he bought cheap/inherited is worth now.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Salami Surgeon posted:

Guess who my boss wants to run the training.

Boomer coworker also came down today to complain about how the government is going to tax his Social Security benefits. Also talked about his 3 pensions and how much all the property he bought cheap/inherited is worth now.

Booker brain

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

madeintaipei posted:

One my coworkers offered to come back after his shift on July 4th and bring us mixed drinks.

"Buddy, getting drunk at this job would be a waste of good alcohol."

Besides, the restaurant next door opens a 1700. lovely, overpriced food, but the bar is very good.

Today's example is that my register got hit up for $250 cash-back total, $50 at a time. I start with $100 in the till and leave $100 in at end of shift. At $200 cash-back, I ran so low I literally couldn't complete a transaction. Asked the manager, who yanked $100 from petty cash, $50 for the customer and $50 for my till. I'm still checking people out and that $50 goes out as change very quickly. gently caress, now all I have is $20 bills and small change. Break the $20s from petty cash and at end of shift, I have $26 and change left. How the gently caress do I make it $100 then?

It took four phone calls to figure out we weren't supposed to touch petty cash (the gently caress is it for, then?!), and should have just let me run out of money. The advice we were given was to take money out of the deposit at the end of the night to build my drawer back up, taking more money from the deposit to get petty cash to where it's supposed to be. I think. All four people contradicted each other.

gently caress me, this is cash handling 101. Why do we allow cash-back if we don't have a way to refill the register?
Why does the point of sale system allow us to give more cash-back than is in the damned till? Why does no one seem to know what to do about that except refuse cash-back (in direct contradiction to company policy)? Why don't I know the answers to these questions. What the gently caress is this Mickey Mouse bullshit?

Dumb poo poo your work does: What the gently caress is this Mickey Mouse bullshit?

PortobelloPirate
Jul 5, 2023

PureEvil6_13 posted:

Further proof that small businesses owners are insane.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

PortobelloPirate posted:

Buddy, you haven't the slightest idea.

"We need to find savings, we only posted a profit of 9 million dollars this year and sales aren't up."

Perhaps, Margaret, this journal entry I'm staring at for 7.5 million dollars under "disbursements: owner" might have something to do with it?

The actually insane part. "The depreciation of Billiam's plane pays for employee benefits!"

:classiclol:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

PortobelloPirate posted:

Down to a certain point, yup.

With few exceptions, I interacted very well with owner/operators over the fifteen or so years where that was my business. There was a certain trust built up by working their routes while they were attending to family, sick, hurt, or on vacation. It would be really stupid to gently caress over the person you are handing the keys to the worktruck, trailer, and entire business to. Even dumber if there were no other options. Especially if I could see exactly what they made for the work I did every single day.

Two examples stand out as bad people I worked for there:

One guy ended up shorting my pay when all was said and done by $2k and tried to get me to pay upkeep on his work vehicle (dodged that one). Got my own back there, after much time had elapsed. Called his wife and explained the pay issue and she paid me back in $500 in increments without him knowing. Dude also told me to do certain things in a way that was borderline illegal and very unethical. When that poo poo hit the fan later, I totally threw him under the bus. Came out clean, with a reputation for honesty with the franchiser, and they royally hosed his poo poo up to the tune of $25k.

Another dude treated me like an old-time company driver, upping orders (for product I had to deliver and merchandize) while I was on the route, and cutting them before and after to make his poo poo easier. Which, okay, a certain amount of that is fine. I soak up all your profit per day and ask for more on top. Having to run the truck and trailer out twice in a day is a bit much though. He wouldn't do that to himself. No one sane would do that to themselves. The first time that happened, I amended the contract to double my pay. He... apologized and paid up. He kept doing it and I kept charging more. Triple my going rate, more. Over $500/day for a week of local-delivery teamster work is what broke his will on that poo poo. Never got an explanation for that one. What a weird and expensive gently caress-gently caress game to play.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

Another dude treated me like an old-time company driver, upping orders (for product I had to deliver and merchandize) while I was on the route, and cutting them before and after to make his poo poo easier. Which, okay, a certain amount of that is fine. I soak up all your profit per day and ask for more on top. Having to run the truck and trailer out twice in a day is a bit much though. He wouldn't do that to himself. No one sane would do that to themselves. The first time that happened, I amended the contract to double my pay. He... apologized and paid up. He kept doing it and I kept charging more. Triple my going rate, more. Over $500/day for a week of local-delivery teamster work is what broke his will on that poo poo. Never got an explanation for that one. What a weird and expensive gently caress-gently caress game to play.

i have no idea what any of this means

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So gas panel half-assed the transducer cable labels. But the customer didn’t order the transducer option, so what’s it matter that half the cables don’t go where they say?

Well first, even if the customer doesn’t order transducers from us, they could install them later, and the labels need to be correct.

But mainly WE STILL TEST WITH TRANSDUCERS! We just install test ones. So I had to spend 3 hours unfucking the cables. But our half our test transducers just don’t work, so I had the fun experience of trying each transducer and each cable for each possible position.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Space Kablooey posted:

It's a bit esoteric. My apologies.

Note: Imagine the product we delivered had a lifespan of a week. From loading it on the truck, to putting it on the customer's shelf, to pulling it back off the shelf at the end of it's shelf life, takes one week.

I covered time off for independent distributors of a certain product, running their businesses while they could not. This is called an extra man, relief man, or floater. Before independent distribution took hold in this industry, companies paid drivers to deliver and merchandize their product. These extra men would be junior employees, waiting for a set route of their own. If their drivers needed time off, the company would have one of their own extra men run the route for a flat rate plus a percentage of sales for the time they ran the route, while still paying the regular driver a flat rate and percentage of sales for that week.

You can kind of see how this could be abused by the full-time driver.

They could order way too much product to be delivered the week before and the week after their time off, to build up their off-time week's paycheck and leave the clean-up of expired product for their extra man, making their own work easier the week when they came back to work. This would make them more pay with less work for them, while making the extra man work harder and make less pay. This was possible because the company they all worked for paid the bills.

In the independent distribution model, this is reversed because the independent operator pays the weekly running costs and is paid on what their route sells per week at a fixed percentage. If the regular driver orders less product the week before they go on vacation, more on the week they have to pay their extra man, and less on the week they come back, it offsets the increased running cost of hiring an extra man for the time they took off.

My guy chose the latter option, creating a mountain of work for me, while decreasing his workload the week before and after he had me working for him.
In response, I charged him far more per week than he made by doing so. This negated the extra profit he made to offset paying me for his off-week, while eating into the smaller amount of money he would made the week before and after I worked for him.

Then I charged more.

Does that make sense at all?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

TaurusTorus posted:

So gas panel half-assed the transducer cable labels. But the customer didn’t order the transducer option, so what’s it matter that half the cables don’t go where they say?

Well first, even if the customer doesn’t order transducers from us, they could install them later, and the labels need to be correct.

But mainly WE STILL TEST WITH TRANSDUCERS! We just install test ones. So I had to spend 3 hours unfucking the cables. But our half our test transducers just don’t work, so I had the fun experience of trying each transducer and each cable for each possible position.

Space Kablooey posted:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Outrail posted:

It makes perfect sense to me. You don't need to know what a transducer does to understand "fuckup".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

peanut posted:

What song would you sing at karaoke?

I wouldn't sing it myself, but if anyone ever loses a karaoke-related bet, hit 'em with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgYSM91vJko