Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I'm going to have to defend the Devil Dogs because 25k for cheap 160 hp 4 armor units are well worth it. Just don't get the Plating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I do sometimes wonder if my lore is out of date or if people are confusing the Confederacy, the Dominon, and the Directorate when we talk about things. Like ghosts, I think someone said the UED, when they actually meant the Dominion(I think), when it was the Confederacy that started the thing. Of course, the dominions MO was just "The Confederacy but I'm in charge" so it seems like all the policies stayed in place

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 5, 2023

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
UED is United Earth Directorate. Only seen in the games when a detachment came in Brood War to "set things straight".

E: nvm, misread your point

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 5, 2023

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I used to poo poo on Devil Dogs but after my last Brutal run where I noticed they had managed to drag themselves through the entire map without dying and soaking up a bunch of damage for my more valuable units they've grown on me a bit. Regular unit is still trash though.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

RevolverDivider posted:

I used to poo poo on Devil Dogs but after my last Brutal run where I noticed they had managed to drag themselves through the entire map without dying and soaking up a bunch of damage for my more valuable units they've grown on me a bit. Regular unit is still trash though.

The Merc units get the upgrades, right? So were the Devil Dogs upgraded, or just the base units?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Considering you're playing a rebellious army in this campaign there was a real missed opportunity to have many more mercs and allied forces or auxiliaries, could have been really cool to have more unique squads join in on a per mission basis.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I think we're all forgetting the most important detail, the firebats by the time of starcraft 2 hate the smell of napalm in the morning. :negative:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they also don't say Slammin anymore

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Like I was lacking in reasons to hate Activision Blizzard.

:mad:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Can't remember, do they still mention propane and propane accessories?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Aces High posted:

Can't remember, do they still mention propane and propane accessories?

Nope! Best they get is a Homestar Runner reference.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Not good enough.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting that there are a few campaign mods that buff the Firebats by simply removing that delay on their attack animation. Makes them more usable. Still niche, but at least they're not horrendously bad at that niche.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Here's my hot take, the Marauder's visual design is lame and Firebats using their model/style is nowhere near as cool as them being slightly up-armored Marines that burst into flame when they die

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Man this LP is great stuff so far, I'm absolutely loving it. Keep up the good work! Do you mind if I steal the bullet-point outline for generalities in the unit spotlights? It's like a thousand times more readable than what I've been doing.

Also did it take anyone else way too long to make the connection of Donny Vermillion = Ron Burgundy?

Raynor feels like a very different character in SC2 to me. He's just so cowboy. He is 110% cowboy. Raynor from SC1 always seemed more redneck-y than cowboy-y to me. Like the cool, chill guy at a trailer park cookout or biker bar. Raynor from SC2 seems more like the "jock who drove everywhere in his daddy's 4x4 blasting Garth Brooks and who seems kinda nice but you really don't want to know what his views on gay people are" kinda guy.

You know what? You know that farmers vs hockey players bit from Letterkenny? That's what the two Raynors make me think of.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

SC2 Raynor is just so lacking in opinions or drive. He’s supposed to be this fiery rebel, but he mostly seems to be wandering aimlessly around the sector and going “okay” when other people ask him to do stuff. And he’s supposed to be haunted by Kerrigan and his failure to save her, but he barely seems to remember except when they make him do the old-cowboy-hides-his-pain face in a cutscene here and there.

This is partly the result of the non-linear campaign structure and all the oddball gimmick missions they put into it, but it’s also just a failure of the writing to give him an interesting personality.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Raynor in SC1 rode a [hover] motorbike around.

Raynor in SC2 sits at a desk.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Raynor in SC1 rode a [hover] motorbike around.

Raynor in SC2 sits at a desk.

To be fair, he was forced to sell the bike.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
SC2 Raynor is Malcolm Reynolds expy written by someone who totally misunderstood "Firefly".

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Yeah, SC1 Terran was a cool pessimistic sci-fi faction where everything is run down and lovely, except for the well-protected imperial core on Tarsonis or the command decks of the big shots from the UED. Then SC2 Terran is just 40k and Firefly slapped together by someone who really, really likes Rob Liefield. They're still kinda cool, especially with some of the campaign units the LP hasn't shown off yet, but imo ramshackle SC1 Terran is a lot better art-wise.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Covert 1: The Devil's Playground

Video: The Devil's Playground

Today, we'll be meeting one last friend.

and I'll make it worth your while.

We'll need to spend some of what we mine just to defend the operation. The more we spend, the longer this is gonna take.

Let's do this.

We start off with a whole heap of SCVs already set to mine.

This is actually unique, most of the time your starting SCVs just stand around until you order them.

Devil's Playground introduces the golden Rich Mineral Fields, which give 7 minerals per trip instead of 5. The catch is that every mineral patch on the map only has a few hundred each, so I can't just wall up here and slowly get the 8K I need.

After about 30 seconds some alarms start blaring and the lava starts to rise.

Lava's rising, get those SCVs to high ground right now!

A few seconds after that warning, and the lava surges. Anyone left down there will die pretty much instantly.

It stays up for about 10 seconds before falling again.

This counter shows the estimated time until the next lava surge. Move all units and structures to high ground when a surge is imminent.

We now have a bit over 4 minutes between each surge.

Reapers are speedy anti-Light infantry that can only hit ground with the ability to hop up cliffs.

So the map is covered in caches to encourage you to explore the place and speed up the mission.

They also have a dedicated anti-building attack.

The first thing to do is head north of my base.

If you'll recall, this was the ramp shown in the pre-mission cutscene.

So after dealing with a small handful of zerg...

We find the group that fled the lava!

A free Command Center plus five SCVs lets me save 750 minerals.

Of course, two CCs means having to defend from the zerg on two fronts.

Reapers need an attached Tech Lab to make, and also cost a whopping 50 gas per head, but they cost barely any minerals so they don't hurt my total too much.

There are a number of Reaper packs scattered across the map, which will hop down and join you when you get close.

Stetmann chimes in with the bonus mission.

Brutalisks are big and hit hard, but they're also slow.

On my way down to it, I go check out this ledge at base. There are three tiers of elevation, and Reapers can only cover one at a time.

At which point I get nailed by an attack wave.

Lifting the CC and loading my SCVs forces them to move to my main, giving the Reapers enough time to catch up.

And by that time the lava is almost here, so I stop and withdraw before hitting the Brutalisk.

You may have noticed that I don't have much in the way of non-Reaper forces. I focused way too hard on saving money to finish the mission faster and it'll bite me later.

After waiting for the lava I can go take out the Brutalisk.

There's a small group of Zerglings and Hydras right before it.

Reapers deal 4x2 damage per attack on non-Light targets, so chipping down the Brutalisk will take a while.

However, it has literally no defense against being kited.

So it quickly falls.

And on top of the research we also get a bunch of caches.

There's something I need to find at the bottom right corner.

Which sends me directly into an enemy base plus another Reaper group.

Tosh will periodically ping clusters of minerals to help you out, even if you've already found them.

Thanks, Tosh.

To incentivize base clearing, the Hives all drop a few caches on death.

Moving to this spot reveals a small island on the bottom right.

It has a tiny lil Diablo on it!

It is his playground, after all.

I'm over halfway done, but my current bases are starting to mine out.

Another lava surge.

I set up at different spots.

And I send my Reapers out.

Heeeeeeeere's where things start to go south. Attack waves have ramped up enough that the few guys I had weren't enough.

So I lure them into my base and spam out mercs to deal with the Mutalisk.

After getting another Medic out and patching up my Reapers, I keep pushing out and find another free group.

Oh god drat it.

I probably should have been building Bunkers at my bases. They would have kept my forces alive, then I could salvage them before a lava wave to keep the 100 minerals.

I was so focused on the fight I ended up losing a few SCVs to the lava.

Oh gently caress, a Muta. I have literally no answer to that.

Run.

Okay, let's hit up here.

Oh gently caress, a Roach. Reapers do poo poo to non-Light targets.

Run.

Upside: More Reapers!

Downside: oh gently caress, a Muta.

poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo

gently caress it, grab the money

I may have lost all my Reapers, but I'm only a few hundred away from winning.

In hindsight I was way, waaaaaaaaay too stingy with minerals. Look how many mineral nodes I never had to touch! I could have built a good sized army, swept the map and still have more than enough to clear!

But gently caress it, a win's a win and it's not like you all are reading this to see me be good at video games.

Starve the Beast - Kill the Brutalisk without losing a unit to it in "The Devils Playground" mission on Normal difficulty.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 5, 2024

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Boo, you didn't deal with the Brutalisk the fun way.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Anyone who bumps up their difficulty to Brutal for this level is in for a surprise, as while the lava still rises every few minutes, the game no longer shows the timer! Hope you're good at getting everything to high ground quickly!

Zerg harassment on your bases can be a bit annoying to deal with, but they're actually pretty manageable once you're familiar with the level. All the Zerg units funnel through a single passage in the middle of the map, so if you keep some defenses parked there, your bases will never get attacked.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

This mission is a lot of fun, one of my favourites.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

SirSamVimes posted:

Boo, you didn't deal with the Brutalisk the fun way.

Luring it into the lava when it rises? :v:

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Reapers you say? Hell, cowboy, we gotta train no more of these guys, they're seriously bad!

They're actually fine, but their big niche in multiplayer is disposible scouting and well... campaign. Add that to ther campaign design and there's really only one other map that you'll see them on, and that's Outbreak, if only because their anti-buiilding attack makes them better than the hellion at killing buildings (even ones with light armour)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, reapers! I never really make use of them in the campaign outside of this mission. In multiplayer they've got a firm niche of early-game harrassers, being able to jump into the enemy base from weird angles, make short work of workers and undefended buildings, and in MP even have passive regeneration so you hit, run, recover and go back without needing any other units for support. They scale extremely poorly though - they can't deal well with armoured units, can't deal at all with flying ones, and their survivability depends on being mobile enough to kite whatever's trying to kill them so you can't keep them alive once you have a whole army to pay attention to.
Campaign missions don't really have an early game phase, the enemy is usually entrenched before the map starts. So their niche isn't really present.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm surprised you were able to kite the brutalisk. (On brutal) the brutalisk will snap back to it's starting point if you try to kite it too far. I remember trying to kite it around by having reavers jump up and down elevation levels. I must have tried a dozen times without success. I eventually did it by sending in a standard bioball with medics.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

LLSix posted:

I'm surprised you were able to kite the brutalisk. (On brutal) the brutalisk will snap back to it's starting point if you try to kite it too far. I remember trying to kite it around by having reavers jump up and down elevation levels. I must have tried a dozen times without success. I eventually did it by sending in a standard bioball with medics.

It does snap back after a while, but there's nothing stopping you from just doing it again and again until it dies.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

BisbyWorl posted:

The main issue is that his literal final lines in BW is swearing revenge on Kerrigan.

Like, sure there's a time skip between games for Raynor to get all sad, but in the eyes of the players he leaves the story going,

It may not be tomorrow, darlin'. It may not even happen with an army at my back. But rest assured: I'm the man who's going to kill you some day. I'll be seein' you.

Then nine years later we finally get the continuation to his story and he immediately drops it with no fanfare and starts staring longingly at a photo of her. It's just incredibly unsatisfying if you've been wondering how the scrappy underdog would manage to beat the Queen Bitch of the Universe, which sours the whole thing.

Bit late, but that line was so badass to young me and really got me hyped for the continuation of the story, and what Raynor was eventually going to have to give up to achieve his revenge.

And then Starcraft 2 happened and I felt like I was having an aneurysm as I experienced that plot.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Chillgamesh posted:

Yeah, SC1 Terran was a cool pessimistic sci-fi faction where everything is run down and lovely, except for the well-protected imperial core on Tarsonis or the command decks of the big shots from the UED. Then SC2 Terran is just 40k and Firefly slapped together by someone who really, really likes Rob Liefield. They're still kinda cool, especially with some of the campaign units the LP hasn't shown off yet, but imo ramshackle SC1 Terran is a lot better art-wise.

Well, Andy Chambers, one of the Lead Story Writers for Starcraft II, woked for years for Games Workshop as a writer for both rules and lore.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Bit late, but that line was so badass to young me and really got me hyped for the continuation of the story, and what Raynor was eventually going to have to give up to achieve his revenge.

And then Starcraft 2 happened and I felt like I was having an aneurysm as I experienced that plot.

:sigh: Same.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Intermission 5

Of course, and he's no pirate. Rumor has it he's a renegade Ghost - and until he vanished he was one of the Dominion's top assassins. Now Mengsk hates him almost as much as he hates you.

Well, I like this guy already. Just the same, we'd best keep an eye on him.

Yes sir.

Another day, another quick Intermission.

>Watch news.

Hey, Kate got through a broadcast without getting cut off, that's a first for her!

>Talk to Tychus.

Raynor asking Tychus of all people about Tosh strikes me as a bit odd, since he would have been on ice long, long before Tosh went rogue.

I've dealt with rogue Ghosts before. It's the ones still working for Mengsk I got a problem with.

Tosh is currently on the bridge, same as Hanson when she first joined.

>Talk to Tosh.

Tosh himself is just... Space Jamaican. He's got the accent, he's got the dreads, he does some voodoo on the side, even his wiki page describes him as a 'pseudo-Rastafarian.'

Yeah I got another job for us on a world called Bel'Shir. Interested?

Maybe. But what's in it for me? Piracy ain't exactly my chosen path.

I'll think about it. For the time being - welcome aboard the Hyperion. We'll talk later.

The specimen tanks will update every time we hit a new research milestone.

>Talk to Hanson.

What the hell does Tosh want that for?

As you might expect from Hanson having lines for Tosh's recruitment, Tosh has lines if he's grabbed first:

The Evacuation (not a full conversation, just a remark) posted:

Got yourself some colonists now, oh, and a pretty doctor. Best be careful with them.

Outbreak posted:

What do ya' think of Dr. Hanson?

She's a lovely thing. Full o' honey, that one. At least that's what she want you to think.

You think she's hiding something?

You ever wonder why the zerg hit her world so fast? Something there they want. Something made o' honey maybe? Buzzin' little bees...

Interesting how both Hanson and Tosh end up casting doubt on the other.

>Examine Zerg Tank.

>Check Research Console.

The second pair of zerg upgrades are the Planetary Fortress-

And the Perdition Turret.

The Turret is the winner here. Using a Planetary at your mineral lines means it does nothing unless the enemy breaches your base, which is bad, and can't even hit air if the enemy throws a flier at you. Going for some jank play of using a Planetary as a defensive wall means you have a big, bulky, completely unmovable Command Center making it a pain to get in and out of your base, and its size makes it hard to throw in some Missile Turrets to cover air.

Perditions, meanwhile, completely obsolete Bunker'd Firebats, as they hit harder, faster, and farther than them.

Despite being infantry, Reapers are no-shows in the Armory.

>Check Armory Console.

Reapers get U-238 Rounds and G-4 Clusterbomb. (active ability that throws out a delayed explosive, 75K credits)

I actually opt not to buy anything this time, and instead bank the money for later.

We call it terrazine and it be worth a fortune to the right bidder. Of course those protoss'll kill us if they catch us on their holy ground - or at least they'll try.

We can go bully the Tal'darim some more and get everyone's favorite combat walker and our first protoss research upgrade.

Or go get even more zerg research and what I consider to be the peak of Wings designing missions around their unlocked unit.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 12, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, stereotypes aside, Tosh is an interesting character, and I really do like him. He's got some fun comments on some missions throughout the campaign, too.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

All right, time to go grab the goliath.

Goliaths are the best little mechwarrior boys and I'll hear nothing about them sucking. At least their upgrades make them a solid 'useable' which is more than about half the units in wings I guess.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The Planetary Fortress is very useful on one particular mission, but the mission is also easy enough without them.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
the PF is useful for the funniest sc2 multiplayer video I ever watched

other than that, well, not so much, no

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023

BlazetheInferno posted:

Honestly, stereotypes aside, Tosh is an interesting character, and I really do like him. He's got some fun comments on some missions throughout the campaign, too.

I fully agree with you, mostly because Tosh is our only vector into how Psionic Terrans think, even if(as shown) he's a bit off-kilter even for them.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Yeah I don't see much point in the planetary fortress. Is the other CC upgrade available in the campaign?

Stupid sexy Tosh.

But I like his Evil'darim punching party proposal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Lets punch some aliens and get some Goliaths.

I know there's one unit that I completely used to trivialize the Terran campaign by just mass producing it and nothing else. I can't remember which one it was now, though, but I know I'll recognize it as soon as I see it in a mission.