Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

John Murdoch posted:

All of the little tweaks in Shadow of the Tomb Raider intrigued me, as someone who has very mixed feelings on the first two games. But I made the usual mistake of wanting to do a ~*Complete Franchise Playthrough*~ and shock of all shocks was burned the gently caress out by the time I got to Shadow. Made it to the first proper hub village area, got annoyed by a few minor things, and then never got back to it.

utoh, I'm doing that with Dark Souls right now and I'm halfway through the second and losing steam. Whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
There is a reason I take a break and play one or two other titles between each Yakuza game. I know that poo poo is gonna kill me or burn me out if I mainline it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

claw game handjob posted:

There is a reason I take a break and play one or two other titles between each Yakuza game. I know that poo poo is gonna kill me or burn me out if I mainline it.

Yeah, I tried to blitz through 3-5 when they came out on PC, burned out halfway through 4.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If you are going through a series of games it might help to reduce your daily intake. Don't make it your main game that you marathon whenever you've got nothing better to do.

I'm on my fourth Etrian Odyssey game of this year right now and I think the main reason I'm not sick of it yet I because I play less than an hour of it, right before I go to bed. I sometimes don't even bother with it if I'm feeling tired.

That's the benefit of turn-based games that don't rely on your reaction speed and/or quick inputs tho.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

thinking back wistfully to all the times I played all the way through baldur's gate with the explicit purpose of continuing through the sequel only to burn out a few hours into 2

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Stupid brotato is chewing up all my free time. I think the fact that the waves last roughly a minute and that there’s a shop/pause at the end of each makes it easier to binge runs, whereas vampire survivors leaves me feeling more drained somehow.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think it's also that VS runs effectively end about halfway or so through so that I'm bored for a long time, whereas I'm never fully confident that a Brotato (D5) run will ever be a winner.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I made this mistake with the most recent Hitman trilogy (AND I was shooting for getting Mastery level 20 on each map as I played them) and I got through Hitman 1 and maybe 60% of Hitman 2 before I had to put it down. Great games but it was a fool's errand to jump in like that.

It doesn't take long to just get through the whole trilogy story, but the very important thing to do after that is to just play whatever, don't try to do things sequentially. Get really deep into one of the levels from 3, then jump back into Sapienza or something and just enjoy one of the most perfect levels ever, then do some elusive contracts or 50 hours straight of Freelancer mode, then do whatever feels right. It's a series made to be played in order one single time, and after that it's just a huge, open hitman simulator.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Azran posted:

How was the RE4 remake, by the way? Game's absurdly expensive in my region but I loved RE2Make

It’s a really fantastic game in its own right but REmake 1 remains the only one of these things that’s objectively better than the original.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Yo, just dropping in to say don't sleep on dave the diver. Game loop is very satisfying

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

buglord posted:

Stupid brotato is chewing up all my free time. I think the fact that the waves last roughly a minute and that there’s a shop/pause at the end of each makes it easier to binge runs, whereas vampire survivors leaves me feeling more drained somehow.

Note that you can also quit runs in shop and it saves so you can continue later. Makes it really nice to drop quickly, no requirement to commit to the full 20-30 minutes.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

BrassRoots posted:

Yo, just dropping in to say don't sleep on dave the diver. Game loop is very satisfying

I just beat it and absolutely loved every second of it. I'll gladly pay for amy DLC that adds a new story or more content

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, after trying Halls of Torment and Boneraiser minions, I've realized once and for all that I cannot stand any "Vampire survivor-likes" other than the tightly designed ones like Brotato. They just feel sluggish and pointless to play, and many of them have runs that are over long before they're finished, so you have a long stretch where it feels like nothing of note happens.
Boneraiser seemed to go for kind of the same, tighter, scope, but that game has some other issues, mainly that half of the items and spells you can find feel like duds, and I am generally suspicious of games that contain on average more than one poop and/or diaper joke per run.

On the other hand, Brotato is still great. One of the first singleplayer games in a while that I've gone back to just to play even after beating everything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

"Vampire Survivor-likes" is the genre that I got absolutely sick of the fastest but before that happened I thought 20 Minutes Till Dawn was pretty good.

Although, if you wanna be technical, it's more similar to Crimsonland than VS.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Halls of Torment feels pretty good to me, though I’m struggling a bit with making meaningful progress.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I bought Battlebit Remastered and I feel like I've been tricked, I think it kinda feels like poo poo to play and can't stand the Duplo Blox look to everything. Reminds me of that Unturned zombie game I played forever ago. I did only put 30 minutes into it before going to play more Arcade Paradise on gamepass so I might put more time into it but also contemplating a refund.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Cruelty Squad has no business making room clearing as satisfying as it is

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!

GrandpaPants posted:

I think it's also that VS runs effectively end about halfway or so through so that I'm bored for a long time, whereas I'm never fully confident that a Brotato (D5) run will ever be a winner.

Also, the characters in VS are way too similar and once you have everything unlocked the game becomes more about grinding while afk to watch your numbers get bigger with no real objective. (Full disclosure I haven't played the latest DLC in VS)

Most of the Brotato characters feel like a puzzle where you need to find the ideal weapon and stat progression through trial and error. This leads to immense satisfaction when you finally beat D5 with a character you've been trying with for a long time (wildling and artificer are two that stick out to me that fall in this category.)

I just wrapped up D5 with the 5 new characters that came out with brotatos full release and I'm kind of sad it's over until the next patch. I wish endless mode was a little more rewarding but most of what I've read about it says the price scaling ends up liking you around waves 30. What I really want is for them to release Danger 6 so I can complete that with the whole cast again. In the end I got 80 hours out of a game I paid fewer than 5 bucks for so really can't complain.

ZIGfried fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 8, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Serephina posted:

utoh, I'm doing that with Dark Souls right now and I'm halfway through the second and losing steam. Whoops.

DS2 is the longest, and longest feeling, of the trilogy with the trade-off being that there's so much cool poo poo in the back half of the game. DS3 *might* manage to feel a bit more fresh because the look is a leap ahead from 2 and the feel takes after Bloodborne's much snappier combat pace, but ultimately it's still a Fromsoft game and for every new idea there's still going to be a poison swamp and enemies hiding around blind corners, y'know?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

explosivo posted:

I bought Battlebit Remastered and I feel like I've been tricked, I think it kinda feels like poo poo to play and can't stand the Duplo Blox look to everything. Reminds me of that Unturned zombie game I played forever ago. I did only put 30 minutes into it before going to play more Arcade Paradise on gamepass so I might put more time into it but also contemplating a refund.

The controls are also not as fluid as the real deal. You can’t seem to swap weapons and are pretty much animation locked in ADS too which sucks if you’re a toggle to ADS user

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Hang on, as someone who's curious about the game, what do you mean by "the real deal" and "animation locked"?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The real deal being like Battlefield or any other AAA shooter

They focus on control responsiveness more in like Battlefield or Call of Duty which is why you get funky poo poo like the G-walking

But it means you have stuff in Battlebit where it seems like you can’t prone dive from a full sprint, you have to stop sprinting first. Probably stuff that will get ironed out in time anyway

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

It kinda sounds like ARMA or PUBG where that lack of responsiveness is mostly intentional though, and I think a lot of people kinda like that, but again, I'm not really qualified to say something one way or another as I haven't played it. Just seen a few videos.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think BF2042 is good and worth playing now so Battlebit just feels like a downgrade. Maybe I wouldn't feel this way if it didn't look like roblox modern warfare but it does and I do. I keep reading people say it's the best battlefield game since X but it feels more like they're towing a line between battlefield and something like red orchestra with the low ttk that makes it feel like a different beast. I don't really get the sense that they're going for an ARMA type thing where movement is deliberately slow but again I've only played a little bit of it so maybe I'm incorrect. It seems very well done and clearly comes from a fan of games like that but I think I'm going to wait until it's out of early access to revisit it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It seems too much like the indie flavor of the month. All the normal gamers are just gonna play COD or Battlefield anyway (okay well Battlebit had 8x the players on Steam as BF2042 last I checked so maybe not)

The metro knockoff level is a fullbright eyesore

That said, I’ve bought much, much worse games for the price

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The fundamentals of the gameplay are solid (though arguably closer to Squad than Battlefield), but yeah I also find the graphic style just too abstract to really get invested. Even successfully shooting down a helicopter with an RPG kinda has me like :geno: because the presentation is so limp.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, I see what Battlebit is going for and I am glad it found its audience, but I didn't jibe with it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The graphics aren't my favorite in battlebit, but they allow a small team to do some cool things, like full level destruction and really detailed guns and animation. The game also has one of the best feeling shooting mechanics of any current FPS, and it can be addicting the way their sound design ties in to kills. It just feels really punchy.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

explosivo posted:

I also didn't jive with Battlebit Remastered either which was a bit of a bummer. It's partly the stuff that you all are mentioning like the graphics (don't mind lo-fi but it was hurting visual clarity) and that it's a bit too much on the milsim side than I expected, but it's also the fact that I was just trying to recapture that old-school nostalgia of playing PVP shoot-em-ups that I used to love but I've kinda moved on in my age as a PVE-only fuddy-duddy.

Oh by the way, I ended up trying XCOM Chimera Squad as a chaser after Satellite Reign and I'm really enjoying myself with it! Part of me was hesitant to play it at first, felt like I was being shameful in playing the 'casual baby' version of XCOM, but I feel it's that perfect level where the complexity, commitment and logistics has been tuned down just enough to preserve the tactics while letting me reduce stress and get to the fun parts fast. And hey, maybe after I'm done with it, then I will move onto XCOM 2 and have a better time due to this warming me up to it! Heck, some units like Godmother may as well just be an upgraded Assault grunt.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 8, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Rusty posted:

The graphics aren't my favorite in battlebit, but they allow a small team to do some cool things, like full level destruction and really detailed guns and animation. The game also has one of the best feeling shooting mechanics of any current FPS, and it can be addicting the way their sound design ties in to kills. It just feels really punchy.

Yea as someone who casually dabbles in indie game dev, it's really easy for me to forgive the art style because everything else is very competent IMO.

It kind of reminds me of how OG Torchlight found success; a good enough Indie attempt during a drought of AAA alternatives.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Coincidentally, a friend messaged me and asked if I'd heard of the game and we eventually agreed to try it for less than two hours later today to see if it could be a potential candidate for the gaming gang, so I guess I'll find out if it's something for me.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Finally got around to playing Monster Train + The Last Divinity DLC.

Question: Is there any purpose to the covenant system (difficulty level mechanic) other than bragging rights? Do you unlock special things if you beat the game at certain covenant levels?

In all these cards games I always find the ascension stuff doesn't hold my interest unless there are meaningful rewards associated with it, like unlock rewards for ranking up. This game seems like it has more than enough content in terms of trying to beat the Last Divinity with every combination of factions/hero units, that I probably would not engage with the covenant system unless there was something interesting about it.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Propaganda Hour posted:

Great except they took out that one scene you loved. You know the one

No I'm pretty sure they left the jetski in the game.

RE4 Remake is fantastic. Looks great, enough new things that it didn't feel lazy at all and all the high points from the original.

Only thing I didn't care for was the knife has durability and can break. I understand the decision but it felt like hearding you away from a choice.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

BrassRoots posted:

The core game loop is extremely satisfying but god drat do the devs go out of their way to keep you away from it. The story missions, the multiple forced stealth sections, and all the baked in tedium to artificially extend the playtime is a real god drat shame because the part where you're just catching fish and running the shop is extremely good.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Black Griffon posted:

Cruelty Squad has no business making room clearing as satisfying as it is

Cruelty Squad has such good shooting, everything just feels right, and every gun feels like it should. eg the giant magnum with the heavy trigger pull and barrel rise before the shot makes it feel sincerely unwieldy in a way that just screwing with numbers can't.

I even love the reloading, having to pull off a precise mechanical motion to reload while trying to not die adds a layer of stress that makes it all so engaging.

Even just the little weird stuff like the gunfire sound's pitch increasing as you run out of ammo, like you can hear you're about empty.

All the seemingly stupid design decisions actually turn out great and I wish more AAA shooters would try new stuff.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Megasabin posted:

Finally got around to playing Monster Train + The Last Divinity DLC.

Question: Is there any purpose to the covenant system (difficulty level mechanic) other than bragging rights? Do you unlock special things if you beat the game at certain covenant levels?

In all these cards games I always find the ascension stuff doesn't hold my interest unless there are meaningful rewards associated with it, like unlock rewards for ranking up. This game seems like it has more than enough content in terms of trying to beat the Last Divinity with every combination of factions/hero units, that I probably would not engage with the covenant system unless there was something interesting about it.

Covenants are the stepping stones to the game proper.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hey, so I'm playing Resident Evil 2 remake on the Steam Deck and I'm hitting a bug where anytime there's a video I get a test pattern and just the sound of it. No picture at all. How do I fix this?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My BattleBit feedback for Folks Like Me (old, can't aim for poo poo no more) is that it is definitely more on the milsim side than my usual jams, but the medic class is actually pretty fun in hectic firefights because you can grab downed soldiers and drag them to safety before reviving them.

Maybe it's just because I went through a Band of Brothers phase recently but being a combat medic is more rewarding than most games that have a similar mechanic. Based on how often you see them running around, I'm not alone in that, and it also means people who shoot good have a decent chance of getting back on their feet after getting popped.

Plus the pubbies are generally pretty chill in game, and there's a good amount of moderation so bigots get banned quickly.

Not a bad $20.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Adam Bowen posted:

The core game loop is extremely satisfying but god drat do the devs go out of their way to keep you away from it. The story missions, the multiple forced stealth sections, and all the baked in tedium to artificially extend the playtime is a real god drat shame because the part where you're just catching fish and running the shop is extremely good.

Yeah I am in what I assume is the latter part of the game now and this stuff was pretty frustrating. Some of the quests teleport you back to the boat once you complete them but there's no way to tell so I've had dives get cut of early because I stumbled into a quest while fishing. The one stealth section forces you to go to it once you go back to the boat and doesn't give you a chance to save/quit until you go through the whole section. VIPs or events coinciding with days where story stuff happens sucks too because you don't get all the time to stock up for service. I still think it's a fantastic game and it's an easy recommend but it feels like the later I get into it the more questionable decisions start to surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
Yep, those are my feelings about Dave the Diver as well. I loved the early section of the game when it was just fishing and the restaurant. But they just keep adding more and more 'stuff' to do that it starts to feel like a chore. Having multiple special events coinciding on a single night (VIPs, special fish conventions, special missions) can make it feel unnecessarily stressful at times, when this game's biggest strength is how chill it can be otherwise. Are there any unlocks later in the game that let you 'automate' the farms in some way?