Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Casimir Radon posted:

I liked Caviezel’s acting in The Count of Monte Cristo and Person of Interest. Too bad he seems to get exponentially more insane with every passing year.

He was good in Deja Vu, but he was basically playing the person he is today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

mycot posted:

Isn't that kind of a recurring thing with Qanon, where the statistics are so ludicrously high (like 1 in 10 children getting kidnapped) that they should be immediately noticeable in everyday life

Yeah they have a lot of things that are just completely out there. One of the big shots of the "JFK jr is alive" groups died recently and now they think he faked his death too as part of the plan.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/jimstewartson/status/1676363571033411584?s=20

https://twitter.com/ATafoyovsky/status/1676491748602974209?s=20

gently caress this movie and gently caress jim caveziel

and gently caress mira sorvino for being in it

drat shame it seems like Oliver Stone has fallen into all this, but it was probably expected.

Mira Sorvino has been appearing in a lot of these chud epics and I'm not sure what's the cause for this. Like, I get she's been distrustful of Hollywood because of Harvey Weinstein but has she also gone all QAnon as well?

Asterite34 posted:

This is the dumbest premise and I have so many questions

Chuck Palahniuk wrote something similar "Adjustment Day". I heard it wasn't very good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

X-Ray Pecs posted:

He was good in Deja Vu, but he was basically playing the person he is today.

In a way his current state is deja vu all over again.

Was that movie good in general? I could have sworn I saw it but can't remember what it was about.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Neo Rasa posted:

Was that movie good in general? I could have sworn I saw it but can't remember what it was about.

Ehhh, it was okay, but I had this unshakeable feeling the whole time that I'd seen it before

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A Denzel movie I don’t think I’ve ever heard of? Could be good. Virtuosity was a mess but at least it had Russel Crowe acting like a cartoon character.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Casimir Radon posted:

Virtuosity was a mess but at least it had Russel Crowe acting like a cartoon character.
Yeah, It may of been a trashy mess, but at least it sometimes managed to be an enjoyable trashy mess. 90's hollywood loved cyberpunk but other than the Matrix it was just really bad at them, but at least some of them were laughably bad. Movies trying to visualize the internet in the 90's never gets old.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Young Freud posted:

Mira Sorvino has been appearing in a lot of these chud epics and I'm not sure what's the cause for this. Like, I get she's been distrustful of Hollywood because of Harvey Weinstein but has she also gone all QAnon as well?

People gotta eat, her leading roles started drying up when the 90s ended and she dared to hit her mid30s.

Though I gather the family isn't in the best of terms with industry considering her dad got snubbed in the In Memoriam part of the Oscars.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

People gotta eat, her leading roles started drying up when the 90s ended and she dared to hit her mid30s.

Though I gather the family isn't in the best of terms with industry considering her dad got snubbed in the In Memoriam part of the Oscars.

She was one of the many actresses labelled 'difficult' by Harvey Weinstein. If memory serves, she was up for a role in lord of the rings before Weinstein vetoed it. Peter Jackson talked about it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, It may of been

If one whose first language is English, how does this happen?

Snowman_McK posted:

She was one of the many actresses labelled 'difficult' by Harvey Weinstein. If memory serves, she was up for a role in lord of the rings before Weinstein vetoed it. Peter Jackson talked about it.

Sorvino tested for both Arwen and Galadriel. If memory serves, she was Jackson's choice for Arwen.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Timby posted:

If one whose first language is English,

"If someone's first language is English," F, sit down.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The last Purge movie had Americans trying to escape to Mexico as refugees while being protected from murderous MAGA chuds by Native American warriors. I love it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Neo Rasa posted:

Yes, not a classic, but certainly entertaining to watch.

The plot is that a ferry carrying a lot of people for an event was blown up. Denzel is an ATF agent who gets attached to special unit that can review past surveillance footage in order to track the bomber down. He eventually finds out that they're not just looking at past footage, they actually have an technology that allows them to glimpse in the past... and more.

I remember a cool sequence where he is driving in his car with a mobile camera unit and is essentially chasing someone using footage that is being "livestreamed" from the past. Woah :monocle:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 8, 2023

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Isn't all surveillance footage looking into the past?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

davidspackage posted:

Isn't all surveillance footage looking into the past?

woah

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I wouldn't be shocked if Sorvino is a chud, her step mom was a fox news correspondent that quit when she married Paul.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, It may of been a trashy mess, but at least it sometimes managed to be an enjoyable trashy mess. 90's hollywood loved cyberpunk but other than the Matrix it was just really bad at them, but at least some of them were laughably bad. Movies trying to visualize the internet in the 90's never gets old.

It has a soundtrack that's better than the movie.

Also, came out in 1995, the year of cyberpunk apparently, because Johnny Mnemonic, Hackers, Strange Days and Ghost In The Shell came out the same year.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Cyberpunk probably remains the epitome of Hollywood trying to jump on a trend they absolutely don't and probably cannot understand, with good movies coming out basically by accident when a director who knows what they're doing gets to be in charge.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The director who did Nemesis seemed to get it

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Nemesis kind of rules and is the Syndicate movie I wrote at age 7 after renting Syndicate wars.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
the amount of sparks flying is really incredible

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Albert Pyun movies are generally kinda bad, but the man absolutely knew to make every single action scene incredible in some way.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Whatever he was doing on Nemesis 2: Nebula caused Chad Stahelski to quit part way thru filming.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Albert Pyun movies are generally kinda bad, but the man absolutely knew to make every single action scene incredible in some way.

Having seen a lot of his films, no, he didn't. Every now and then he nailed it, though. Nemesis was one of those times.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

duz posted:

Whatever he was doing on Nemesis 2: Nebula caused Chad Stahelski to quit part way thru filming.

The man did not even quit The Crow, for context.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He was also not great with endings, like the ending to Knights is just "And then we went on an inter dimensional adventure" in order to save a kid that the heroine was going to save but then got kidnapped by someone else instead right at the end.
As I recall, the sequel to that one doesn't even involve all of that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
apparently the Nemesis sequels are just like "yeah humans lost the war so uh"

bummer

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Alan Smithee posted:

apparently the Nemesis sequels are just like "yeah humans lost the war so uh"

bummer

Nemesis 3 was mostly made from unused Nemesis 2 footage if I remember it right.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MrBling posted:

Nemesis 3 was mostly made from unused Nemesis 2 footage if I remember it right.

That's right

They suck but Nemesis 2 has some good stunts and is fun schlock, worth checking out

Nemesis 4 is "this episode - the writer's barely concealed fetish" for 90 minutes and is absolute dogshit, highly recommended

The more recent Nemesis 5 is only 71 minutes long but I wasn't able to finish it because it was so bad lol

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Neo Rasa posted:

That's right

They suck but Nemesis 2 has some good stunts and is fun schlock, worth checking out

Nemesis 4 is "this episode - the writer's barely concealed fetish" for 90 minutes and is absolute dogshit, highly recommended

The more recent Nemesis 5 is only 71 minutes long but I wasn't able to finish it because it was so bad lol

lol, just noticed this on the wiki page for Nemesis 2.

quote:

A compilation version exists which combined the four Nemesis films into one 100-minute feature that Scanbox was going to release before the company went bankrupt in 2000. This version was released only in Eastern Europe in 2003, primarily in Poland.

Kinda tells you how much movie there really is if you can combine 4 movies into 100 minutes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MrBling posted:

lol, just noticed this on the wiki page for Nemesis 2.

Kinda tells you how much movie there really is if you can combine 4 movies into 100 minutes.

There's a tracking shot of a grenade being fired into a building in the first movie that's reused in the rest lol

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Nemesis and Future Kick are both really fun, but in different ways, and extremely stupid, but in different ways.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really wish there was an 80s cyber-cop show with that vibe that I could just watch 40-some episodes of. RoboCop: The Series is fun, but it ain't Nemesis or Future Kick.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Having seen a lot of his films, no, he didn't. Every now and then he nailed it, though. Nemesis was one of those times.

I love how Nemesis has this grimy, low-rent quality clashing against the slicker trappings of the genre. Like there's bits where it's more action Johnny Mnemonic then you have some straight-up Tetsuo The Iron Man Japanese cyberpunk poo poo popping in. It really gets the "high-tech, low-life" vibe.

I only have minor complaints, like I really would have had Pyun rollback some of his Blade Runner fanboy and made the LAPD something like the global police or some North American Union police force (it doesn't really matter, considering the original story for Nemesis was "Alex Rain" and was about a female FBI detective fighting a Neo-Nazi infiltration of the agency before they went with the cyborg angle), as well as change Shang-Loo into just Hawai'i. I mean, it's clear Angie and his gang of Red Army Hammerheads are Hawai'ian, with Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa having this Hawai'ian accent and their dress. But I am willing to forgive it because it tries new poo poo, like the skullgun or the opening sequence.

I think stuff like Nemesis, proto-Fallout Radioactive Dreams, and Mean Guns are his better films.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I really wish there was an 80s cyber-cop show with that vibe that I could just watch 40-some episodes of. RoboCop: The Series is fun, but it ain't Nemesis or Future Kick.

Tekwar?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ugh. Yeah, some day I'm going to have to give it another shot. But I'll probably just do what I did last time and swap back to the Max Headroom narrative series.

Which is pretty great, actually. If you're seeking out 90s cyberpunk schlock, at least. There's one episode that has a hint of a Nemesis feel, the one where they blow up a giant-rear end factory that was being demolished.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Trying to think of good 90s scifi schlock that wasnt Mad Max style like The Highwayman or Knight Rider 2010. I haven't seen Tekwar since it aired and then not much as we didnt have that cable channel so I can't remember how bad it was

Maybe Time Trax or Total Recall 2070, both were bad but I liked them when I was 10

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Trying to think of good 90s scifi schlock that wasnt Mad Max style like The Highwayman or Knight Rider 2010. I haven't seen Tekwar since it aired and then not much as we didnt have that cable channel so I can't remember how bad it was

Maybe Time Trax or Total Recall 2070, both were bad but I liked them when I was 10

Highlander: The Series? It wasn't good, but it was definitely schlock.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The kids have to learn about the Tek War sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
TR2070 is enjoyable but takes itself far too seriously to be counted amongst fun Pyun trash.