Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Waroduce posted:

The amount of tears related to people leaving deep dives in this thread is very amusing to me. Simply utilize any of the myriad lfg tools or discords or the goon discords to find people to play with. We are all very online here. Or just wallow in your own complaints if you can't put forth a modicum of effort I guess.

Sometimes I just want to push the button and vibe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Waroduce posted:

The amount of tears… is very amusing to me.

Every time you see a post start with something like this you know it’s gonna suck rear end

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hackan Slash posted:

:hmmyes:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Every time you see a post start with something like this you know it’s gonna suck rear end

I mean, in some ways they're not wrong, but I'm not sure I agree it's "tears" for people to be annoyed they can't use matchmaking to play a matchmade activity in the intended way. If someone's complaining about not being able to do the exotic quest with randos, then yeah, lol lmao.

I love the discord, but sometimes I just wanna be able to queue up for low effort activities while I watch some youtube. Needing to get goons for a quick whatever tier deep dive feels like overkill just like noone would probably bother to get goons for a normal salvage.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

General Battuta posted:

It has been disappointing, personally, to see Destiny steer away from these questions. I think they are questions which match the primordial urgency of concepts like 'Light' and 'Darkness'.

I don't... think they are, personally.

It's still entirely congruous, it's just that you have a bunch of people who take only the latest cutscene and no more and don't put it together with what came before, or are summarizing a youtube summary. Like, people are going 'oh, the big bad wants to destroy everything' but the totality of the lore is it wants to Take everything for itself, you know?

What I mean is- those questions about the framework of things are still being asked. Why is the universe such that it incentivizes ruthlessness and selfishness? Could it be something better? If so, what would that look like? Is there a point, or purpose behind the suffering?

They're framing it like- the Witness is the bad boss who read Atlas Shrugged or the Prosperity Gospel and was like "it's not enough that I am successful by being selfish. I must be *righteous* to have done so, and I will stomp on anyone who says otherwise", because otherwise they were just a selfish piece of poo poo in a system designed to make selfish pieces of poo poo. They gotta aspire to be the biggest, stinkiest one to give meaning to their lives.

Likewise I don't believe that Light = physical and Dark= consciousness is a retcon, it's establishing a ground floor for the people who don't do lore deepdives, that'll be expanded upon. Like, it's entirely consistent with the mentions of Gnosticism, seeking escape from samsara, etc. I don't know who wrote those entries (Singular Exegete from season of Arrivals, the Shadowkeep collector's lore book) but its consistent with the transition from pre-creation formlessness into material realm which was a topic you wrote about loads... uh not that you needed me to say that.

In any case, tangentially, may I recommend the webcomic Kill 6 Billion Demons, if you haven't heard of it? It deals with a lot of the same questions (like the latest chapter is mostly a debate/discussion about the use of violence to end violence), features a lesbian main character, and is super cool! I think you'd like it, probably.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Okay so have we officially determined the game to be good or bad or maybe the players are bad we've had like 10 years or something.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Deep Dive is in a weird place, in that it's a matchmade activity with one matchmaade queue that can go one of three ways, technically one of five ways.

- Normal run
- One pressure trial
- Two pressure trials
- Three pressure trials
- Exotic Quest

But presumably, if you're doing one pressure trial, you're attempting to do them all. And these are all very different paths, one is a very standard seasonal activity with standard difficulty, one is extremely difficult but appropriately showers you with loot for the extra effort and one gets you a specific exotic weapon reward and presumably is still going to be relevant for the catalyst.

On the one hand, I actually think it's really creative and interesting design for all of these things to be activated through gameplay and it's cool that theoretically, all three players can be on the same page and do the most difficult version of Deep Dive without ever saying a word to each other, but practically, it leads to the situation we have now, where you have three kinds of players, Normal Players, Pressure Trial Players and Exotic Weapon Players all smacking into each other. If the lure isn't activated, it's in a Pressure Trial Player's best interest to leave. If you try to drag two Normal Players into the Exotic Quest, you would likely never beat it, but apparently people are still trying to do that because Destiny players are kinda stupid.

There probably should be three separate matchmaking queues, like how Guardian Games has one for recreation and one for Serious Time. You lose that "opt into the alternate play modes based purely on gameplay" aspect, which is a bit of a shame, but probably a necessary sacrifice.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Mazerunner posted:

I don't... think they are, personally.

I wrote the material you mentioned (though I’ll be damned if I know what a singular exegete is).

I probably shouldn’t talk about this further.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 8, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Death of the author... it's so kafkaesque

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s only one exegete, OP

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Nobody else activated the Pressure Trial? I'm exegettin' outta here!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I guess I'm getting dunked on for... sourcing my quotes? I dunno

quote:

The enemy suggests that our rebirth was an evil mistake. How Gnostic—they were a cult (a fleet? a school? a horde?) who believed that the source of all suffering was not in our poor choices but an error of the world's Creator. A false, deluded god. Mara would laugh, or weep.

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/unborn#book-the-singular-exegete

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Post through the pain, brother

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Mazerunner posted:

Yes, I wrote this, I just don’t know what the title means. Words big, brain small.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

No idiot, you're getting dunked on for telling the person who straight up wrote some of the stuff you're arguing about, that they're wrong.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

This is peak destiny right here

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fight back! Control the zones!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

No idiot, you're getting dunked on for telling the person who straight up wrote some of the stuff you're arguing about, that they're wrong.

I am not, though!

It's very clear that Battuta hasn't really been keeping up with the story of Destiny since he left, which is totally understandable.

But he gets these telephone game summaries of what's going on- all I'm saying is that the stuff that he was not present for and is asking about, has not actually moved away from or contradicted the stuff he wrote about. It is still consistent, but a 10-second recap doesn't capture the nuance.

Like, if Battuta went through the new stuff and disagreed, then yeah I'll eat crow there. But I don't think that's the case, and I don't think Bungie's moved away from the topics, even if they're using different words or simplifying it for their 30 second seasonal cutscenes.

I'm not saying he's wrong for drawing that conclusion with the information he has- I'm saying the information he got was wrong. That's all.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 8, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Battuta did you write the part where Savathun called The Witness to say "Guess what idiot, I quit and I trapped your little butt boy in a swamp, P.S. gently caress you.", I will use this to determine whether or not you're correct or an idiot.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

Like if Battuta went through the new stuff and disagreed, then yeah I'll eat crow there. But I don't think that's the case, and I don't think Bungie's moved away from the topics, even if they're using different words or simplifying it for their 30 second seasonal cutscenes.

I'm not saying he's wrong for drawing that conclusion with the information he has- I'm saying the information he got was wrong. That's all.

The stuff you’re quoting as the “new stuff” consistent with my work is also stuff I wrote.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Killed by the architects

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

General Battuta posted:

The stuff you’re quoting as the “new stuff” consistent with my work is also stuff I wrote.

The new stuff I mentioned was the "Light = material, Dark = consciousness" and the focus on the Witness seeking/imposing purpose/meaning on existence. Basically the... actual new stuff that was written since your departure.

I was tying it back to the old stuff you wrote, to say they are still consistent and haven't changed or moved away to the degree that you might have the impression they have, that's all.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 8, 2023

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

*shaxx voice* I'VE SEEN ENOUGH

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Stop posting, man.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Stop posting, man.

counterpoint please keep posting

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mazerunner posted:

please do not continue this series of posts, for your own sake.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

im very confused but I get the same vibe as watching a bunch of kids trying to drum up beef to get some other kids on the playground to fight

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

counterpoint please keep posting

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

wait no keep going this is loving hilarious

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

coming back to this thread solely to watch mazerunner keep doing whatever the gently caress this is

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Let the man get back to The Masquerade Book #4 - "Untitled" please.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
GET HIS rear end

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

RocketRaygun posted:

wait no keep going this is loving hilarious

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Got my exotic quest done earlier, have yet to try it out but at least that's done. Time to wait until the catalyst can be acquired I guess.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Hackan Slash posted:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I had a thought and I wanted to see what others think.

Are the final seasons of the year (so, Warmind, Opulence, Arrivals, Lost, Seraph) all of the best non-expansion content drops in Destiny 2?

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Yo General one day I hope that NDA omerta ends and you can talk freely and candidly about the lore and the game and Bungie because I smell a good rear end story there.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Arrivals is head and shoulders above the rest. Seraph wasn't half bad. I wasn't around when Opulence came out. Lost as a season got old quick.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

General Battuta posted:

Did you just write a huge backlog of material that Bungie deploys when they need something to put out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
My brain is starting to become mush at this point in the season...