Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
By the way I've been busy with a toddler but I'm still reading through your article :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I guess you can call it pop, sure, cos it's some guy's medium article, maybe that's kind of the point.

you really need to choose whether it is a serious piece of writing worthy of critical engagement or some guy's medium article that can be treated as just what bucky reckons and not seriously engaged with, because it can't be both

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

our politics have been affected by conspiracy-based propaganda

Have they, though

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Wait, did Scott Morrison actually flee to Italy?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

He doesn't hold a hose, mate.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Konomex posted:

Wait, did Scott Morrison actually flee to Italy?

He’s currently on holidays there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

look, tears, just like real humans have

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
are we in for another round of Barnaby Joyce leading the nationals?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i have just heard about the possible renaming of fraser island to K'Gari, i like it

does it mean stay the gently caress away from the dingoes?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

freebooter posted:

Have they, though

Do we have sitting politicians spouting this stuff in parliament?

Is there a propaganda pipeline pumping this content into our communities?

Inferior Third Season posted:

Hello, Auspol. Please shut the hell up about QAnon and conspiracy theories. Thank you. ~The management

whoa, meta

If you let me post it in the Q thread though I'll happily leave these poor people alone

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

i have just heard about the possible renaming of fraser island to K'Gari, i like it

No it means Paradise and I'm pretty sure it's a done deal, already happened

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It’s already been done as far as I can recall.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

It’s already been done as far as I can recall.

It was yesterday. They renamed the world heritage area to the same thing a couple of years back though.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
cool

how many old whiteys are pissed off

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
they're so mad some of them fabricated a story about labor & the greens changing brisbane's name too and spent a few days freaking out about it

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

lih posted:

they're so mad some of them fabricated a story about labor & the greens changing brisbane's name too and spent a few days freaking out about it

Lol my dad was freaking out about that, and he asked me what I thought and I was like ‘why would I give a gently caress?’

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Meanjin is a cool name
Melbourne should definitely be renamed Naarm also

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

cool

how many old whiteys are pissed off

the mayor of Brisbane already had a big sook about how the greens want to change the name of the city to meanjin so: enough

e: fb

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

EoinCannon posted:

Meanjin is a cool name

This

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We have two states and two territories whose names are literally placeholders.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

EoinCannon posted:

Meanjin is a cool name

I vote for Yeah Naarm :colbert:

e:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We have two states and two territories whose names are literally placeholders.

look it's going to take queensland a while to print new signs for charles.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

I vote for Yeah Naarm :colbert:

e:

look it's going to take queensland a while to print new signs for charles.

Nah we just belong to Camilla now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Naarmageddon

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Naarmia, because we're all going to be living in wardrobes.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Synthbuttrange posted:

look, tears, just like real humans have

Fixing his skin in front of the cameras

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

...and while doing a quick search for that image I came across this insane person that draws parallels between V and Donald Trump in a positive light that I can only call loving insane.

https://jeffpearlman.com/2017/01/07/the-alien-baby-who-brings-us-all-together/

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Inferior Third Season posted:

Hello, Auspol. Please shut the hell up about QAnon and conspiracy theories. Thank you. ~The management

Great, I didn't want to talk about them before, but now I have to....

Australians will claim it's our larrakin spirit, but we all know the deeper truth, that we're fundamentally just a pack of contrarian arseholes.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

SecretOfSteel posted:

Fixing his skin in front of the cameras

If you put on the They Live sunglasses and look at Peter Dutton, you see Peter Dutton.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol if anyone still gets conned into actually reading Bucky's relentlessly spammed screed in TYOOL 2023.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The royal commission is a great read, it's not as long and daunting as the length seems given much of it is appendices and references. The commissioner writes quite accessibly and is suitably scathing while also fair

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

eXXon posted:

lol if anyone still gets conned into actually reading Bucky's relentlessly spammed screed in TYOOL 2023.

The completely correct world-exclusive answer to the question that stumped all the experts?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

The completely correct world-exclusive answer to the question that stumped all the experts?

what an amazing statement

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

when you post that instead of your medium article, feel free to let us know.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

youse are sure talking a lot of poo poo for people who have yet to find a single mistake or show where this has been reported before.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The royal commission is a great read, it's not as long and daunting as the length seems given much of it is appendices and references. The commissioner writes quite accessibly and is suitably scathing while also fair

Definitely second this. I'm not quite 1/5th of the way through but definitely enjoying the read so far. Bit horrifying that this all actually happened.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

youse are sure talking a lot of poo poo for people who have yet to find a single mistake or show where this has been reported before.

It could be that there are no mistakes in your article and it's genuinely new information and insight but it's also boring and nobody gives a poo poo

I'm not saying I think this, it's something that I probably will read when I have the time

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

brb, formulating a 10000000 word medium post collating all times people here have told you it's bad, boring, and poorly articulated. my starting point for this is the complaints to Ea-nāṣir

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

[pacing back and forth in front of my computer, hissing and muttering, arms waving spasmodically, flecks of saliva visible at the edges of my mouth, now and then accidentally kicking over a piss bottle]

Oh, they'll read the royal commission. They'll read the royal commission. Oh, the commissioner's writing is so clear! "Such clear writing, your majesty! It didn't seem long at all! Oh, such good information!" What about Q, you think that poo poo's not important? Oh, no, democracy's not important! Nobody else can see. Nobody else can see. We'll they'll see, all right. They'll see. I'm the only one who can put the pieces together. They'll loving see. Oh, the royal commission! loving trivial poo poo. You want evidence? You want evidence???

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Again to the thread sorry, please skip.

Feel free to report this too. Idgaf about arguing qanon, I'm trying to make Bucky's article inflict less psychic damage.

awesome, very kind, thank you.

I think the typography depends on the context of the particular sentence / paragraph. Like if you're reading it out, you don't say it with the same emphasis every time. But if it's a distraction I'll see if I can tidy it up a bit for consistency's sake.

The intro seems fair enough? "So today we’re going to look at the roots of some of the divisive lies that have done so much damage", and that's exactly what we do, in more or less the order described. To explain Q you have to talk about pizzagate, to explain pizzagate you have to talk about Alex Jones, to explain Alex Jones you have to talk about the JBS / CNP, to explain the JBS / CNP you have to talk about Nesta Webster, to explain Nesta Webster you have to talk about the 2000 olympics the Protocols and the Russian and French Revolutions and the Illuminati, and you have to stop somewhere so that seems like a good spot.

You're giving me a bit of a head-gently caress here, because that kind of order, and the subject/object of a paragraph, is something I agonise over, and I can see your point, but I do think it's right the way it is. The kingdom of Bavaria (thanks Recoome) with the Illuminati is tough to beat as a starting point, rather than "so there there were these two books, which were written because of the french revolution, which was.." etc

This is relevant to the illuminati/French rev/books, but the current order they are introduced and talked about does not establish what actually happened versus what the books say happened.

In particular, one can look at the paraphrased part that says "so when heads started to roll across the plaza, the illuminati were the prefect scape goat", and think that this is actually what happened at the time, what was actually believed at the time. It hasn't been established that this is the point of view of the books, because the books haven't been introduced to the article yet. A reader who doesn't know the FR, and is taking you at face value that this is a compete history, which you've said that this is, and you've talked about the illuminati, Bavaria, the FR in a chronological way going from earliest to latest without going backwards, they could believe that's what was actually believed at the time it was happening. It's not clear that the statement is the POV of a book written later.

E: I just went back to the article and noticed this has changed but I have written a lot at this point.

quote:

I mean, none of that is really in dispute. There is plenty of literature that does address the psychology of conspiracy theories, much of which is actually cited, and this is a pretty fair distillation of all of them. You want me to explain the differences in what a brain had to deal with 100 years ago, or 1,000 years ago, or 10,000 years ago, compared to now?

This is opinion. I think not talking about the psychology of conspiracy, early in the article, weakens the article. The article relies on the reader not just on accepting that people can fall for conspiracy, which is an easy bar these days, but it also relies on the reader accepting that it can happen to average people, that average people have buttons and levers that can be exploited, and the reader trusting that you know a lot about that so you're worth listening to.

I personally think that referring to simplified generalisations about psychology, weakens the article more than a compete absence would. Again, opinion, but imo either talk about it early and completely to demonstrate your knowledge, or don't try to talk about it - directly cite some expert's opinion that says the same thing as you need it.

quote:

I guess you can call it pop, sure, cos it's some guy's medium article, maybe that's kind of the point.

That feedback was really good. My feedback isn't aimed at some guys medium article, because I would only read some guys medium article if my life depended on it, I'm saying what puts me off and what I think would help.

quote:

Did it have the 15 sections when you read it? Cos you're right, but it has sections now, which hopefully makes it more digestible. And surely it's a well-illustrated wall of text at least.

Yes it had parts, but parts doesn't mean accessible or easy to read.

Currently, it's like saying the white pages are a digestible read because they group by the initial letter of the surname. Breaking up into parts is more accessible than not, but parts alone doesn't mean it's actually accessible. Imo, you still need a table of contents and to condense your parts into sub articles. You want to make it as easy as possible for people to read your articles. Picture breaks are a small reprieve from text, they aren't clearly delineated jumping off/jumping on points where a reader knows they can safely take a break, that if they take a break now, you're not just about to introduce something that relies on the part(s) immediately before it still being fresh in their mind.

quote:

Anyway appreciate the feedback and glad to know there's no actual errors found.

My dude, us not finding errors isn't an endorsement. I can't prove/disprove flat earth off my head, despite the absurdity, but I can proof read an article written about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

I found a critical mistake on the very first line