Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I find the M4A1 76mm to be a bit of an unsung hero. Armour isn’t brilliant and it has the usual weak spots of a cast hull but that gun at BR 4.7 is an absolute monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I have done so much better in the M4A1 76mm than I have in the T1E1 & M6A1 at 5.0 it is silly. Maybe I'm a weirdo but I find it to be a much much better fighting vehicle than those two shite-barges.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 5, 2023

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat
German 5.3 ground is magic. I don't know why these tanks have this BR but I'm not complaining about the nonstop 5-8-10+ kill games the game is serving me on a silver platter. I turn my brain off, turn my tank a little bit, and left click on everything I see.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I have done so much better in the M4A1 76mm than I have in the T1E1 & M6A1 at 5.0 it is silly. Maybe I'm a weirdo but I find it to be a much much better fighting vehicle than those two shite-barges.

I suspect some of the heavy tanks are only as high as they are because it would be impossible for them to be damaged when they're top tier in the match if they were lower.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
anyone else getting the same maps over and over again? I keep getting stalingrad, vietnam and sun city, with the occasional other map thrown in. Three maps i absolutely hate.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I've been seeing a lot of map loops at various tiers lately. It's frustrating.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Cimber posted:

anyone else getting the same maps over and over again? I keep getting stalingrad, vietnam and sun city, with the occasional other map thrown in. Three maps i absolutely hate.

Have you downvoted/banned other maps? If not, you should ban those three maps. I banned vietnam months ago and haven't been happier.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Solumin posted:

Have you downvoted/banned other maps? If not, you should ban those three maps. I banned vietnam months ago and haven't been happier.

I've banned Stalingrad and disliked the other two, lets see if that helps. I _hate_ stalingrad.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

Action-Bastard posted:

The one problem I have with Heatfs is in a close range knife fight it over-pens and doesn't take out the crew or equipment like it ought to.

Heat should have the same damage and pen at any range due to it being a chemical shell. I use HEAT and APHE interchangeably and consider heat to be a straight upgrade to HE or APCR.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Worth a reminder to update your map preferences if you change BRs.

Mine:
Ban: European Province
Dislike: Fields of Normandy, Sands of Sinai, Fields of Poland, Pradesh

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What's the secret to ammo racking ships?

It's the age old "I fire 1000000 times and do nothing" vs "oh look here's come someone's first shot from 15km...here's it comes aaaaannnnnd...i'm dead"

What's a good ammo amount for a destroyer?

And I rarely ever have server issues but man naval has booted me randomly so many times.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

It's the age old "I fire 1000000 times and do nothing" vs "oh look here's come someone's first shot from 15km...here's it comes aaaaannnnnd...i'm dead"

And I rarely ever have server issues but man naval has booted me randomly so many times.

The secret is to take ammunition with some penetration instead of pure HE, and shooting right below their guns
For the amount, just check how much you have left at the end of a match, really

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

i am a Gun barrel only guy. No other things are taken into consideration. *proceeds to design a-10 thunderbolt*. perfection.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Experting a vehicle at higher levels is a significant investment, but goddamn does it make your crew a lot more combat effective.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

In my experience playing against them, they all disappear with a single center-mass shot and appear to have virtually identical firepower, but the M4A1 76 is a lot smaller and therefore less likely to get clicked on. I guess the T1E1 and M6A1 are pretty mobile for their size, which allows them to drive into my sights more quickly than I'd expect of a vehicle so girthy?

It is pretty bonkers that they are both sitting pretty ugly at 5.0. In practice this appears to suck them up into my 5.3 Germany games, where they run around serving as comic relief after the initial wave of actually-scary Jumbos gets wiped. Their angled sides offer a non-zero degree of protection against the German 75s & 76s down in 3-4BR, I guess, which is where they should live.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
There is a number of tanks in the US tech tree that I have purchased but never crewed and skipped for the next one. Not having tons of SL to drop on crewing up lovely tanks means I have to skip some. I'm looking at you, death turtle.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
counterpoint: the T-95 is perfect in every way

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

counterpoint: the T-95 is perfect in every way

If you don't mind driving for 15 minutes, and waiting 45 seconds for reload

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
You need a very specific set of circumstances to have a good match in the T95, but at least the repair cost went down.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The magazines are below the waterline, so long-range fire is (paradoxically) much more lethal than short-range fire, since the shells are plunging in at steeper angles. You can occasionally get an explosion kill off torpedoes (or depth charges or mines, if they're carrying them), but by far the usual cause is the miraculous opening salvo at 8+ miles.

If you have the option to use SAP (or Common) ammo, just use that for everything. The edge cases where you're trying to tackle a cruiser or something that SAP won't pen, or trying to frantically swat a PT boat mugger with HE are rare enough that the wait for changing out rounds is more of a hindrance than shooting non-optimal ammo.

edit: I see that you asking about ammo amounts, not types. Fill your magazine completely. The difference in explosion chance between half-full mag and full mag is negligible if a round comes in. One of the many ways in which boats aren't like tanks.

Madurai fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 6, 2023

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
https://i.imgur.com/1WTZgYV.mp4

KOBE

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I swear they must do something with the matchmaking depending on how you are playing. Im doing awesome for a while today, and then all of the sudden I'm licking windows and wondering how paste tastes.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

I like to have HE loaded in the first slot for the opening long-range engagements, and then switch to SAP as I get closer

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Madurai posted:

The magazines are below the waterline, so long-range fire is (paradoxically) much more lethal than short-range fire, since the shells are plunging in at steeper angles. You can occasionally get an explosion kill off torpedoes (or depth charges or mines, if they're carrying them), but by far the usual cause is the miraculous opening salvo at 8+ miles.

If you have the option to use SAP (or Common) ammo, just use that for everything. The edge cases where you're trying to tackle a cruiser or something that SAP won't pen, or trying to frantically swat a PT boat mugger with HE are rare enough that the wait for changing out rounds is more of a hindrance than shooting non-optimal ammo.

edit: I see that you asking about ammo amounts, not types. Fill your magazine completely. The difference in explosion chance between half-full mag and full mag is negligible if a round comes in. One of the many ways in which boats aren't like tanks.

Naw ammo types is useful too. But I just have 4.7-5.0 USA destroyers so it's just HE, some AP, some AP with slightly more pen.

I guess the problem mostly is Prince Eugens are hyper-accurate and if someone wants to click you you're dead.

Like just got ammo racked by one at 14km. Respawned and had a cool duel with a destroyer, won, took out a little PT boat thing then started taking damage from somewhere.

Exploded. Killed by a Prince Eugen who never left their spawn.

These drat prince eugens!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Naval really needs to add submarines so that there's something to discourage people with heavy cruisers and battleships from sitting still in spawn literally all game.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

What’s the hang time of a shell going 14km? Thirty seconds? Why are you not maneuvering like your rear end in a top hat is on fire?

Destroyer combat is all about not being where the enemy thinks you’re going to be in X seconds.

X = the travel time of their main battery fire.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Course and/or speed change after every broadside you fire, basically.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Naw ammo types is useful too. But I just have 4.7-5.0 USA destroyers so it's just HE, some AP, some AP with slightly more pen.

I guess the problem mostly is Prince Eugens are hyper-accurate and if someone wants to click you you're dead.

Like just got ammo racked by one at 14km. Respawned and had a cool duel with a destroyer, won, took out a little PT boat thing then started taking damage from somewhere.

Exploded. Killed by a Prince Eugen who never left their spawn.

These drat prince eugens!

4.7 USA destroyers? Use the SP Common shell and never anything else. Trust me on this, you'll start deleting whole chunks of their crew instead of only a couple percent every time you hit
I also strongly recommend doing what I outlined here

GrossMurpel posted:

Doesn't even have to be Cruisers, apparently the Moffett rear magazine is insanely easy to blow up.
Speaking of component damage, remember to use the SP Common shell (the one with the big penetration number). It still has enough explosive filler to gently caress up any component you shoot at. Switching from HE to SP Common easily cut down my time to kill an enemy destroyer tenfold, and it lets you damage Cruisers as well

E: Also the super most toppest of pro tips for anyone playing naval, not just for American destroyers: You can usually kill a component by penning it with a single shot, but your salvo has more like 6+ shots in it, meaning you overkill enemy components quite significantly. You can prevent this from happening by manually firing ranging shots (it's a keybind in the controls) which staggers them out so they reload at different times.
Here's an example, I'm using ranging shots with the Frank Knox to fire each barrel (not each gun mount!) separately and kill one component every .5 seconds or so. After the initial staggered salvo, I just hold right click to fire the guns like always, and it keeps shooting staggered shots automatically because of the reload times.

https://files.catbox.moe/bkqqym.mp4

Also, just as a small aside, SP Common still has an HE filler. It's like some tank shells, where it doesn't have HE in the name but still explodes

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 7, 2023

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I've come to the conclusion that CAS in ground battles just sucks for us ground pounders.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

4.7 USA destroyers? Use the SP Common shell and never anything else. Trust me on this, you'll start deleting whole chunks of their crew instead of only a couple percent every time you hit
I also strongly recommend doing what I outlined here

Also, just as a small aside, SP Common still has an HE filler. It's like some tank shells, where it doesn't have HE in the name but still explodes

Rear magazine targeting has helped a lot. I was mostly aiming for the front magazines without realizing they're quite a bit (usually) deeper than the rear.

Cimber posted:

I've come to the conclusion that CAS in ground battles just sucks for us ground pounders.

yeah if a fighter is up you just get annihilated

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

It's me, I'm the fighter

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
CAS would be fine if there were realistic loiter times and caps on the number of planes but having six enemy attack planes circling the battlefield for 20 minutes while their ground team gets annihilated isn't much fun.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
The fix for all these problems is quite simple and obvious: No one should be allowed to spawn planes when I'm in a tank. And no one should be allowed to spawn fighters except me

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Just use an AAA gun, problem solved imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAqtP0DZ4yM

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

CAS would be fine if there were realistic loiter times and caps on the number of planes but having six enemy attack planes circling the battlefield for 20 minutes while their ground team gets annihilated isn't much fun.

CAS is very fine when they eat my AAM up the tailpipe while climbing to the stratosphere with a full load of AGMs, then don't have the points to spawn anything else.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BMan posted:

It's me, I'm the fighter

Me too. I’m also the fighter.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

500% SL booster :lol:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Did you try to complete a "destroy the most ships" order in the middle of that? You shouldn't sleep on them on big booster games, those quadruple the reward for kills scored in their timeframe for the winner (or winners in case of a draw).

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I didn't have any orders to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Mission failed successfully.