Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Upgrade posted:

Only $230 hurray

Capacitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Upgrade posted:

Only $230 hurray

Hell of a deal for getting someone to show up and solve a problem these days.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

DaveSauce posted:

Capacitor?

Yep!

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Beef Of Ages posted:

Hell of a deal for getting someone to show up and solve a problem these days.

They got here same day too. This is the company we use for a lot of stuff which I think helps. Small place with just a few techs.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Upgrade posted:

They got here same day too. This is the company we use for a lot of stuff which I think helps. Small place with just a few techs.

That's kickass, you're super fortunate to have access to that sort of resource. Especially with a bunch of Gary's running around.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We’ve been using the same home services (hvac, plumbing, etc) company for over ten years now, they’ve always been responsive and do good work. I’ve called them in the morning for a failed, leaking water heater and they had a tankless installed by 3PM.

Definitely getting competing quotes when it’s time for the HVAC though. It probably helps that there are 3-4 other similarly sized companies in the area that compete for business.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cr0y posted:

I'm in Pittsburgh so the actual valve is about 4 feet down, I can take the cap off the pipe no problem but need something to reach. A curb key is just a half inch socket on a long pipe with a T at the top.

Amazon link
Orbit 53034 Steel Curb Valve Key, 5' https://a.co/d/dSMedPe

I'm happy my meter is in a pit near the road, and all I need is a pentagon socket to access it. Possibly against the rules to use one? Probably. Is it worth dealing with if my house is flooding? Definitely.

I should probably hang it on the wall next to the wrench perfectly sized to fit the gas shutoff.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

loving single smoke alarm going off in the middle of the night for like 45 seconds and then nothing :catstare:

Confirmed it was not the carbon monoxide detector, double checked the gas appliances, gave each room the sniff test. No other smoke alarms going off. Even the Internet has no answer. going back to sleep

:catstare:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’ve had that happen in our apartment before. The smoke detectors are those super sensitive ionization ones. Opening the oven for a second would set it off if we didn’t have the exhaust vent at full tilt

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Also happens with smoke detectors that are old or malfunctioning (usually because they're old).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Coincidentally one of mine went off for like 5 straight minutes yesterday. Nothing I could do would stop it so I’m chalking it up to lovely electronics.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If it is humid you can also get condensation that triggers the detector.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
IIRC The classic smoke detector operation is americium-241 emitting alpha particles and an air gapped receiver that amplifies the signal created by them. so anything that would inhibit the reception of those particles like smoke or water condensate will set it off.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our humidity here is locked at pretty much exactly 50%

We had our first 90 degree day about a week ago and the spiders have been going crazy. Some quick research shows that the majority of spider eggs hatch at 90F. Went from zero spiders to all the spiders and everything is covered in spiderwebs suddenly, even had some attempting to build a web between my aquarium and the lights above it. Half convinced one of those super tiny spiders crawled over/between the sensor on the smoke alarm

:spiderguy:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Fridge needs a new water filter.

I think I recall reading something about not wanting to trust Amazon with that (counterfeits or something?).

Where would the thread recommend sourcing filters from if I want a legit product at a reasonable price?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Home Depot ships; so does Wal-Mart. I don't remember what the minimum order is, but it's not large.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I was throwing away all the trimmings from pruning my deodar cedar and I thought I stuck myself with a pine needle, but it hurt pretty bad and didn't go away, then I felt and heard a buzz. I got stung in the side of the neck by a yellow jacket. I go in to have my wife look for a stinger. She noticed I had a second sting in the same area.

I was stung last when I was 6-7 years old. I went 30 years without getting stung again until last year on a backpacking trip where I got stung right in my calf. Then to get stung twice in one day yesterday. It's pretty swollen still, using hydrocortisone and Benadryl. poo poo hurts and was really stiff/itchy today.

Also caught a rat in a trap by the arm so I had to kill it with a 2x4.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Verman posted:

I was throwing away all the trimmings from pruning my deodar cedar and I thought I stuck myself with a pine needle, but it hurt pretty bad and didn't go away, then I felt and heard a buzz. I got stung in the side of the neck by a yellow jacket. I go in to have my wife look for a stinger. She noticed I had a second sting in the same area.

I was stung last when I was 6-7 years old. I went 30 years without getting stung again until last year on a backpacking trip where I got stung right in my calf. Then to get stung twice in one day yesterday. It's pretty swollen still, using hydrocortisone and Benadryl. poo poo hurts and was really stiff/itchy today.

Also caught a rat in a trap by the arm so I had to kill it with a 2x4.

Yellow jackets don't leave a stinger behind and can keep tagging you if they want. Every stinging insect that isn't a honey bee is a little flying ball of hate and they all need to be destroyed.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Zarin posted:

I think I recall reading something about not wanting to trust Amazon with that (counterfeits or something?).

Where would the thread recommend sourcing filters from if I want a legit product at a reasonable price?

The something awful goon anti-Amazon sentiment is somewhat misplaced and based on misunderstandings. You will find goons swearing up and down counterfeit third party seller SKUs are shipped right along with items sold by Amazon.com from the same warehouse bins.

This suspicion is not really true although they were worse about this in the past.

If you buy an item sold by Amazon, it’s probably legit. If you find it’s not, which I never have, they will refund or replace no questions asked.

This goon fear which I have never found to be true despite giving too much money to Amazon, does not motivate me to use Walmart or other websites instead.

It comes down to Occam’s razor, the benefit Amazon would get from secretly selling counterfeit items they themselves are selling, is not at all worth the damage to their rep it would cause. I don’t believe it’s happening and think Amazon is fine to order from as long as you’re not careless.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Amazon has a Counterfeit Crimes Unit, spent $1.2 billion last year to fight fraud, and disposed of 6 million counterfeit products just in 2022. Source. Nike won't even sell on Amazon anymore because the counterfeits are so numerous. It is definitely a serious problem.

Would you really want to take a chance on your drinking water being filled with whatever the gently caress the factory making the cheap fake has on hand? https://www.oregonlive.com/business/2020/01/buy-a-new-refrigerator-water-filter-it-might-be-a-dangerous-fake.html

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 9, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inner Light posted:

The something awful goon anti-Amazon sentiment is somewhat misplaced and based on misunderstandings. You will find goons swearing up and down counterfeit third party seller SKUs are shipped right along with items sold by Amazon.com from the same warehouse bins.

This suspicion is not really true although they were worse about this in the past.

Is it "not really true" or were they "worse about this in the past"? Those seems like contradictory positions.

If it's "not really true" why did they make a point to partner with and advertise things like a deal with GE specifically because of this?

Inner Light posted:

If you buy an item sold by Amazon, it’s probably legit. If you find it’s not, which I never have, they will refund or replace no questions asked.

Many of the counterfeit water filters were tracked back to "ghost shift" operations and had every bit of the proper exterior plastics, stickers and packaging. But were fill with less filter media than they were supposed to have or with an alternate media (like coir instead of activated charcoal). How exactly is the average consumer going to know something like this is a counterfeit? This was initially found out because of some seriously poor "quality control" of the filter media that made it obvious to enough people that they started vutting these things open and discovered they weren't filled with the things they were supposed to be filled with.

Has amazon corrected this "binning" issue across all water filters? I don't know. Across all product categories? Almost definitely not. How would I know if they had? Every sales platform like this with warehouse fulfillment seems to have similar issues. Newegg used to be reputable, but then they took on the 3rd parts sales enablement and warehousing model and they too have turned into kind of a dumpster fire.

I order things that are easy and profitable counterfeit targets from the source. LG sends me filters on a schedule. Easy.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Motronic posted:

Is it "not really true" or were they "worse about this in the past"? Those seems like contradictory positions.

If it's "not really true" why did they make a point to partner with and advertise things like a deal with GE specifically because of this?

Many of the counterfeit water filters were tracked back to "ghost shift" operations and had every bit of the proper exterior plastics, stickers and packaging. But were fill with less filter media than they were supposed to have or with an alternate media (like coir instead of activated charcoal). How exactly is the average consumer going to know something like this is a counterfeit? This was initially found out because of some seriously poor "quality control" of the filter media that made it obvious to enough people that they started vutting these things open and discovered they weren't filled with the things they were supposed to be filled with.

Has amazon corrected this "binning" issue across all water filters? I don't know. Across all product categories? Almost definitely not. How would I know if they had? Every sales platform like this with warehouse fulfillment seems to have similar issues. Newegg used to be reputable, but then they took on the 3rd parts sales enablement and warehousing model and they too have turned into kind of a dumpster fire.

I order things that are easy and profitable counterfeit targets from the source. LG sends me filters on a schedule. Easy.

It’s just such an easy issue for Amazon to solve, I’m confident they have solved it. The profit motive for solving the issue and protecting their business is huge. I think it has happened in the past but today is not something an average consumer should worry about when buying filters or many other goods sold by them.

If it does worry someone though, obviously buying from the source is the best bet. If there is any evidence my understanding is wrong I’d like to know about it and am open to changing my view.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zarin posted:

These are expensive as poo poo; I just get the counterfeits. If it's just aquarium gravel in a tube it's gotta be filtering out something. Based on experience the cheap FilterLogic stuff on Amazon seems absolutely fine.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

??? Filters are like $50

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah and my fridge blows through them like candy so I can get 3 for $30 and keep my water tasting great, sucker

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Inner Light posted:

This goon fear which I have never found to be true despite giving too much money to Amazon, does not motivate me to use Walmart or other websites instead.

It comes down to Occam’s razor, the benefit Amazon would get from secretly selling counterfeit items they themselves are selling, is not at all worth the damage to their rep it would cause. I don’t believe it’s happening and think Amazon is fine to order from as long as you’re not careless.

Or, per Occam's Razor, Amazon spends billions fighting counterfeiting because it's a significant problem that's driving away sales
https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/personal-finance/articles/some-shoppers-are-fleeing-amazon-because-of-counterfeit-goods/

E: Most of the major fridge manufacturers sell filters directly and don't cost any more than retail, so that's where I tend to go

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 9, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Plot twist: your off brand fridge filters are manufactured at the crematorium. Water tastes great and is blessed by someone's ancestors everybody wins!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Plot twist: your off brand fridge filters are manufactured at the crematorium. Water tastes great and is blessed by someone's ancestors everybody wins!

Big recycling fan, I approve

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

You’re… purposefully buying counterfeit filters with no sense of where they are from or what they contain to save $10?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah that's what I'm doing

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Before we upgraded our RO system we had just purchased a commercial-grade inline filter. If your fridge came with a way to bypass the filter, there's really no reason you need to continue using the built in filter.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think if there were people finding consistent issues with the FilterLogic off brand filters I'd probably stick with the manufacturer ones, but there's enough nerds out there doing their own tests that I'm not overly concerned. Trying to buy an authentic filter for $50 and getting a counterfeit would be hosed up, though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Inner Light posted:

It’s just such an easy issue for Amazon to solve, I’m confident they have solved it. The profit motive for solving the issue and protecting their business is huge. I think it has happened in the past but today is not something an average consumer should worry about when buying filters or many other goods sold by them.

If it does worry someone though, obviously buying from the source is the best bet. If there is any evidence my understanding is wrong I’d like to know about it and am open to changing my view.
https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/personal-finance/articles/some-shoppers-are-fleeing-amazon-because-of-counterfeit-goods/

quote:

Have you ever purchased something you use regularly off of Amazon that just didn't look right? Maybe the stitching was odd, or the quality seemed poor compared to what you'd usually expect.

There's a good chance it could have been a counterfeit product.

Social media is awash with complaints from users who have been sent fake or counterfeit goods despite thinking they've purchased from a name brand.

In the BuyItForLife subreddit, a single post on counterfeit Darn Tough socks -- an expensive but high-quality sock brand -- has over 900 comments from users sharing their own stories of fake and counterfeit goods sent to them by Amazon. It also has nearly 8,000 upvotes to date.

And that's just a single post on the issue; there are thousands more. If even a fraction of the complaints are true, then Amazon's counterfeit problem isn't one or two products -- it's a systemic issue.
It's long been known that Amazon has a fake review problem. But that's not the only issue if users are right. I've read a ton of stories from (former) Amazon users who report their critical reviews -- including those pointing out counterfeit goods, even with proof -- were taken down by Amazon. Furthermore, many users say they were banned from leaving future reviews.

Wirecutter report on buying counterfeits

quote:

Over several months of research, we were able to purchase items through Amazon Prime that were either confirmed counterfeits, lookalikes unsafe for use, or otherwise misrepresented. We talked with many brands about the rise of fakery and their efforts to combat it. And we tried to understand the new landscape of counterfeits and how to navigate it, so that you can as well.

Amazon, too, is clearly aware of the problem and is taking plenty of measures to combat counterfeits on its site. But critics say its efforts are not nearly enough. ...
Wirecutter recommends the authentic Kids Fly Safe CARES Airplane Safety Harness for people who want to secure smaller children on planes without having to lug a heavy car seat. The patented and trademarked harness is made by AmSafe, an aviation manufacturer that specializes in building restraint systems for commercial aircraft. As a Federal Aviation Administration representative told us, “The AmSafe product called CARES (Child Aviation Restraint System) was certified as an ELOS—Equivalent Level of Safety—to a car seat. It is the only harness type child safety restraint that the FAA has certified (PDF).”

But I was able to purchase a copycat “Toddler Airplane Travel Safety Harness” with a label that fraudulently claimed it was “FAA approved.” The materials were inferior to those of the real CARES harness, with cheap plastic buckles, weak stitching, and no lock to keep the adjustable shoulder straps in place.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 9, 2023

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have a reverse osmosis system that I was just going to install in my new house and split it between a tap at my sink and the fridge for the ice maker and just bypass the filter on the fridge entirely.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just don’t replace that stupid filter.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

devicenull posted:

Before we upgraded our RO system we had just purchased a commercial-grade inline filter. If your fridge came with a way to bypass the filter, there's really no reason you need to continue using the built in filter.

I'm currently in an apartment, otherwise I like that idea better, yeah.

Lease agreement states that filters are on us.

I'll see what the difference between what Frigidaire and Home Depot are charging and report back.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think if there were people finding consistent issues with the FilterLogic off brand filters I'd probably stick with the manufacturer ones, but there's enough nerds out there doing their own tests that I'm not overly concerned. Trying to buy an authentic filter for $50 and getting a counterfeit would be hosed up, though.

Off-brand isn't the same as counterfeit. An off-brand filter may have a slightly different design but the effectiveness of that brand can be tested. A counterfeit filter looks authentic but could contain anything or even nothing at all

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Thanks for the replies all. Summary of my next thoughts, quoting from linked article fool.com:

“Over several months of research, we were able to purchase items through Amazon Prime that were either confirmed counterfeits, lookalikes unsafe for use, or otherwise misrepresented.”

Exactly as I stated in my OP and was my original theory. Most consumers, purchasing goods sold and shipped from Amazon.com do not typically need to worry about counterfeits. The products discussed in your linked article are virtually 100% being sold by external 3rd party sellers. That is why I qualified it by saying consumers still need to be vigilant on the Amazon checkout page and determine whether they want to use a 3rd party seller.

When using products sold only by Amazon.com, I have rarely or never seen a verified counterfeit claim. I appreciate the perspectives and so far stand by everything I posted on the internet on this topic.

The linked article discusses products accessible “through Amazon Prime”, which obviously is rife with billions in counterfeit and fraud. Mostly external sellers. Exceptions to the rule where counterfeits have been sold by Amazon.com as the seller.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 10, 2023

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I'm never clear if by "counterfeit products", what they actually mean is "we bought a cheap identical-looking knockoff of a name brand product" and not "we bought what we thought was the name brand product and got a cheap knockoff". I've bought plenty of rather expensive things on Amazon, but always shipped/sold by Amazon, and not third party sellers. I avoid anything shipped/sold by a third party unless that third party IS the actual manufacturer, but even then I'll check to make sure it's not cheaper just to order direct from them vs ordering via Amazon.

There's plenty of knockoff products on Amazon, but I can't say I've ever gotten a counterfeit that I've noticed. It's easy to check the listing as well to see if the same product is being sold by a bunch of word salad sellers and being fulfilled by Amazon as well, I'll usually be more cautious of those as well because of the rumored stock co-mingleing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Inner Light posted:

I appreciate the perspectives and so far stand by everything I posted on the internet

Mods, please rename every thread on the forums.