Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Thaddius the Large posted:

My best friends are all my immediate coworkers, and not just because we spend all day together, we do vacations and road trips pretty frequently. Terrible for healthy work/life balance but that’s our mentality in general, and trauma bonding goes a long way!

A lot of my closest friends are my current or former coworkers too. It's a pretty similar situation for them and just about every other child welfare, APS, and emergency services social worker I know for the reasons you mentioned. It can sometimes be hard to for me to connect with new non-social worker folks because you never know what kind of reaction you'll get when someone asks what you do and/or what's up with me. Teachers and folks in the restaurant industry make up most my non-social work friends circle because trauma bonding through extreme stress is also hella common there so they get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there's a semi-canon izwf subforum battle tournament taking place starting now. i will be representing sports argument stadium. tune in if you would like, and kiss my rear end and whoop my rear end

https://twitch.tv/infactmadeofcarbon

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pondering the Vegas orb...

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

SAS defeated cinema discusso

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead

General Dog posted:

I think the Dr. and I are going to Tacoma (and by extension, Seattle) for a week or so in August for her birthday, any tips from PNW goons for things to see/do, beyond the obvious stuff? First time ever to the PNW or anywhere that far west.

It’ll be crowded since it’s prime tourist season and school is out, but go check out Mt Rainier if you haven’t seen a volcano up close before. Same with Snoqualmie Falls. Go like midweek before noon if you can. Up the road from the falls is North Bend where a good chunk of Twin Peaks was filmed, also Mt Si is pretty and cool. Also there’s a local elk herd that hangs out usually in the evening in the meadowbrook farm area near north bend. I can give ya more info if you’re interested.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

T-Square posted:

Madison WI goons or adjacent where should we stop for lunch today on the way through

Probably too late/doesn't match your intention of "lunch" break but you should have gone to Chico's Villa Tap for their Friday night fish fry. Unbelievably good!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgk-lA12FBk

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Rotten posted:

It’ll be crowded since it’s prime tourist season and school is out, but go check out Mt Rainier if you haven’t seen a volcano up close before. Same with Snoqualmie Falls. Go like midweek before noon if you can. Up the road from the falls is North Bend where a good chunk of Twin Peaks was filmed, also Mt Si is pretty and cool. Also there’s a local elk herd that hangs out usually in the evening in the meadowbrook farm area near north bend. I can give ya more info if you’re interested.

These are good tips. Also, Tacoma has the Museum of Glass, which I hear is quite lovely. Don't go to Starbucks - there is outstanding coffee everywhere. Tacoma used to be pretty rough but it's where a lot of artists have moved. If you brave Rainier you might have some success with the Mowich Lake campground area, there's a lovely trail from there to Eunice Lake and Tolmie Peak where a fire station gives you a gorgeous view of the mountain. My wife also enjoyed going to Crystal Mountain ski area in the summer, where you can get a gondola ticket to the top for some hiking and sightseeing.

If you do go to Seattle there is plenty to do for sure. Don't skimp on the touristy stuff just because it's popular, it's fun. Pike Place Market is a favorite of mine, I'm always sure to head to Mee Sum Pastry for some hom bow. I also love the Uwajimaya market, a Japanese supermarket in the International District. Others have recommended Capital Hill, if you do go I like Elliott Bay Books a lot. One of my favorite bars is up there too, Pine Box. It's in a former funeral home that once handled Bruce Lee's affairs.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

fartknocker posted:

Late to friend chat since I was busy at work, but I'll freely admit I don't have a lot.

Now, admittedly, I've never had huge friend groups in the first place. I was always the sort to have maybe a handful (Usually only 2-3) really, really close friends rather than a larger number of looser friends that hung out now and then. I'm normally quiet and sorta closed off around people I don't know, so making friends isn't often easy. My problem in the past was I'd have those smaller groups, but they eventually fell apart. I lost basically all my elementary/middle/high school friends when I was 16 when my parents divorced and I just went even more introverted than I already was (Being dumb teenagers in a different era, there wasn't much emotional support). Had another really tight group in my mid-20s that survived one job change, but trying to do anything was always hard when everyone worked different retail jobs with insane retail schedules, and then collapsed completely 4~ years ago when my fiancé left me and I once again went hyper closed off/into a really dark place for a while.

I have one extremely close friend I've known for 10 years. We worked together at a few places and talk about our time in retail like vets talk about being in combat (And she almost certainly has PTSD from poo poo that happened at Toys R Us), and though we don't live close to each other any more, we text almost daily and talk when we can, so both of us have made the effort to stay in each others lives. I've also developed some really close friendships with a handful of people at my current job, we hang out a lot outside of work which is nice.

I'll throw in a separate category for online/remote friends. There's a few people I've known originally from old Gundam forums for going on 20 years, and a few Xbox Live friends I've had and been playing games with for at least 15 years now. Plus goons, obviously. Y'all good people (Mostly) and anyone who says "gently caress the Cowboys" is a friend of mine.

gently caress the Cowboys. :hfive:

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

My only complaint about Pike Place is the slow rear end tourists who add extra time to my end goal of a bbq pork bun from Mee Sum or getting some random thing that looks good elsewhere. This is one of the best times to go to Alki or Golden Gardens too but it's super crowded so be prepared. Alki is more accessible via transit than Golden Gardens. Rainier BBQ, Saigon Deli, and Hoang Lan are excellent if you're going south of downtown but avoiding Southcenter/Tukwila/Tacoma.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm signed up to nextdoor mainly to laugh about what people complain about. Most recent post is 'THIS IS A RANT' complaining about mail coming too late, which is about a paragraph long.

Ma'am you have not even begun to begin ranting. Not necessarily about this subject which is worth ranting about, but I will write entire pages worth of things if I want to rant. (this is actually a pretty good post by nextdoor standards, she's doing fine as far as rationality goes, I just expected more ranting and was disappointed)

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Lol explaining Ottoman history and musketeers to my girlfriend because she's watching Magnificent Century: Kosem with me and for whatever reason I got super in to the Ottomans as a teen/early college.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Lol explaining Ottoman history and musketeers to my girlfriend because she's watching Magnificent Century: Kosem with me and for whatever reason I got super in to the Ottomans as a teen/early college.

my Janissaries: rebelling

my empire: in shambles

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Alaois posted:

my Janissaries: rebelling

my empire: in shambles

We haven't even gotten to the "well, killing the concubine who's been running the empire is bad" part of the series yet.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Watched the first two episodes of the new Superman cartoon. Clark being portrayed as the biggest loving wholesome dork is perfect and I love spunky Lois Lane.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

shirts and skins posted:

my parents live in NW Olympia and I'm low-key worried lol O_o

Yo I may have missed it but are your parents ok?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Its Rinaldo posted:

Yo I may have missed it but are your parents ok?

they're fine! thanks for asking.

hopefully it's not too smoky when I come out to visit next month

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

shirts and skins posted:

If you do go to Seattle there is plenty to do for sure. Don't skimp on the touristy stuff just because it's popular, it's fun. Pike Place Market is a favorite of mine, I'm always sure to head to Mee Sum Pastry for some hom bow. I also love the Uwajimaya market, a Japanese supermarket in the International District. Others have recommended Capital Hill, if you do go I like Elliott Bay Books a lot. One of my favorite bars is up there too, Pine Box. It's in a former funeral home that once handled Bruce Lee's affairs.

I lived next to Chinatown for 3 years and loved it. Didn't shop at Uwajimaya much since its a bit overpriced (and there are other Asian groceries nearby) but man I just miss walking through that area.

Speaking of Bruce Lee, his gravesite is in North Capitol Hill and if you're in the area it's worth checking out. Next to it is one of the biggest parks in the city too.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Can we hack it and make it turn into the hilldawg orb?

e: thought this was CSPAM, oh well

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

Watched the first two episodes of the new Superman cartoon. Clark being portrayed as the biggest loving wholesome dork is perfect and I love spunky Lois Lane.

Watching now because of you and yeah it’s real good

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A friend of mine just dropped off a big box of stuff from the Dubuque farmers' market. Sweet corn, fresh wheat bread, raspberries (holy poo poo these are good), a zucchini, a cucumber (which I'm going to pickle) and ... a squash.

What the hell do I do with a squash, friends?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Timby posted:

What the hell do I do with a squash, friends?

Soup is my first thought, but I identify with winter squash and not summer squash.

What...type of squash is it? I mean there's a bunch of stuff out there to do with all sorts of squashes. I feel like there's a whole community of squash lovers who will tell you all of the 800 different things you can do off the top of their head out there somewhere.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Cut into strips, toss in oil and spices, then grill it.

Shred it and put it into bread.

Cut into dice and make a hash with some potatoes and other veggies.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Put it in your composter to make nutritious food for non-trash tier vegetables.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Cut into strips, toss in oil and spices, then grill it.

I live in a studio apartment, no grill.

quote:

Cut into dice and make a hash with some potatoes and other veggies.

This has potential.

swickles posted:

Put it in your composter to make nutritious food for non-trash tier vegetables.

Squash has seeds, it's a fruit. :pseudo:

Grittybeard posted:

What...type of squash is it?

I mean ... it is a squash?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Just chop it up into slices and air fry

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
you can also cube it up and stir fry it.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Dice it, oil and season, and roast it

Edit: that. Yellow squash is probably best sautéed imo (I love squash)

(Butternut supremacy)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've made vegetarian enchiladas using shredded squash as a filling, worked out pretty well.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Cut into discs via mandolin (protect fingats) and sauté with onions and garlic. Salt and pepper to taste. Grate parmesan cheese on top once finished.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dango Bango posted:

Cut into discs via mandolin (protect fingats) and sauté with onions and garlic. Salt and pepper to taste. Grate parmesan cheese on top once finished.

This ... this sounds like a solid plan, actually. Although I haven't used my mandolin in almost a year (anticoagulation means that when the blade hungers for blood, it hungers). I already have water boiling for pasta, but this might make for a good light dinner tonight.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Kettle brand has new (to me anyway) Truffle Oil and Sea Salt chips and oh my god

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Timby posted:

This ... this sounds like a solid plan, actually. Although I haven't used my mandolin in almost a year (anticoagulation means that when the blade hungers for blood, it hungers). I already have water boiling for pasta, but this might make for a good light dinner tonight.

It's a go-to side for me. You can cube it as well if you don't want to use a mandolin.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dango Bango posted:

It's a go-to side for me. You can cube it as well if you don't want to use a mandolin.

I appreciate the suggestion, thank you!

And I'll slice it with the mandolin. Gotta get back on the horse sometime.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Timby posted:

I appreciate the suggestion, thank you!

And I'll slice it with the mandolin. Gotta get back on the horse sometime.

Please do not mount the mandolin.

The worst thing for the outside of a man is the inside of a mandolin.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

To the Goon visiting Seattle.

The fam and I went to the ballard locks today and the salmon are running. It's a good visit if you want to see salmon run through the locks' fish latter. My 3 year old loved it.

Also there was a jazz quartet concert in the adjacent botanical gardens. A+ afternoon.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

Cut it in half lengthwise, then slice into half-rounds, toss in olive oil & salt and pepper and roast for 12 minutes at 400 or so, then fold the cooked pieces into your pasta when you're mixing the pasta and sauce. I do that with zucchini all the time and it's a pro tier addition to some sausage cavatappi or what have you.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

Kettle brand has new (to me anyway) Truffle Oil and Sea Salt chips and oh my god

These kind of heavy duty chips are my weakness hey. No matter how disciplined I try to be with diet and exercise - I end up dreaming about a good chip.

Speaking of food I have some lamb shanks in a duch oven with some mirepoix, ale and stock, once they're done in about six hours I'm going to try and put the meat in a pie. Then try not to eat the whole thing in one sitting.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I'm 43 today.

I don't think I've ever been less enthused about a birthday. Like last year I was at least turning an interesting number.

Had a nice lunch out at least with the fam. Got a burg with bacon jam and peanut butter aioli and it was real good. Did not have dinner due to too much burg. We celebrated with ice cream and I got that Ben and Jerry's whiskey flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Yoooo happy birthday!