Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RocketRaygun posted:

wait no keep going this is loving hilarious

lol this entire page of posts

e. Previous page of posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
after four attempts I finally found a LFG group that could worked well together and could complete the new exotic quest :toot:

I had to experiment with load outs and subclasses. I found an arc hunter with star-eaters worked well. One-two punch shotgun, IKELOS smg, and thunderlord was adequate. But ran out of heavy ammo by the second phase. Shotgun + melee worked surprisingly well against the horned Minotaurs

I was definitely the weakest on my fire team (died about 5 times) and kept getting slowed down by enemies (stasis effects?) but I still contributed a good chunk of DPS

I recommend looking over this map to get a sense of the maze and locations of the horned Minotaurs

https://twitter.com/destinybulletn/status/1677295249025282051

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

how do you goldmine one page

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MJeff posted:

I had a thought and I wanted to see what others think.

Are the final seasons of the year (so, Warmind, Opulence, Arrivals, Lost, Seraph) all of the best non-expansion content drops in Destiny 2?

Splicer is a strong contender for Best Season Ever imo. Chosen was great too. Also a big fan of Dawn.

Lost sucked, Seraph was okay but felt great because it followed two terrible seasons in a row.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Lost was good! The only issue is it lasted 6 months.

The 6 player seasonal was decent, and I had a lot of fun finding all the secrets in the ascendent realm.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Splicer had a great aesthetic and really good themes to its story but its main activity was so boring that it left a really bad taste in my mouth. Just not enough enemies for the amount of players.

I thought Lost was a really really good season that was hurt very badly by the Witch Queen delay making it 6 months long.

And the more I think about it, I think Seraph might be my favorite season of all of them.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I do like that because our uncle Rasputin died bungie got us a puppy to feel better.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Arrivals was the best and last good season for F2P. Tons of bounties that gave you good guns, a world event that was fun and interesting to keep doing even if you didn't get bonus loots, Travellers Chosen, that cool end of expansion event and the two never before seen and never seen again city instances.

Lost was funny because it being extended to 6 months made people super chill about playing. If you were bored you just left the game and could come back at the end missing nothing, no judgement, no problem. If you wanted to keep playing there was an abundance of content to choose from. Guns were good too.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

life_source posted:

Guns were good too.

I was with you right up until this point, Lost’s guns were some of the worst in the entire time I’ve been playing.

Best season across the board is Splicer imo, the fashion, story and guns were good enough to make up for the activities being slightly lame (but still better than most of the Y5 ones)

On that note, Xur has the Plunder set this week which is one of my favorites for transmog, plus a pretty killer roll on the S19 trace. The Strongholds are worth picking up too.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Fractethyst (so i am lead to beleive i never got one of those), Scathelocke is still the king, Shephards Watch had the underrated Under Pressure/Snapshot, Sorrow's Verse (dont laugh), probably something else I am forgetting???

life_source
May 11, 2008

Servant Leader, the actually good Prophecy weapons,

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I just don’t get the praise for Lost. Bad guns, bad activities, you couldn’t even roll high-stat armor. I’m sorry but doing Banjo-Kazooie item hunts in Destiny’s most boring, quietest environments does nothing for me. I actually didn’t mind the big delay, I like when the game has time to breathe and I’m the crazy person who’s always been saying the game should have three four-month seasons instead, but the season itself just didn’t do much for me.

Arrivals was good but the best part of it was the last hurrah they did for all the raids that were leaving, though I miss the seasons having so much of an effect on the story as changing the skybox to have those big intimidating pyramids looming over them. It doesn’t feel like they’ve put as much effort into the seasons since then.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Season Guns most commonly mean the ~6 guns that drop from that season's Dumb New Activity, imho

Hard to rank the seasons since there are many things that go into how good they are, beyond the quality of Override or Psi Ops or Treasure Hunt or whatever

- Sandbox
- Loot systems
- World drops
- Nightfall rotation
- Is the current raid any good
- Is the game running halfway decently
- what's the cheaters situation
- did a subclass get added or reworked
- is there extra hype because a big cool content drop is coming in the following season

It's funny to see Arrivals get much love in retrospect because it was not well-received at the time. Public Event Gambit on the planets that were about to be removed was a very weak Seasonal Activity. They turned up the Loot-o-meter to make up for it though, with the incredibly generous original Umbral system

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I have a fondness for Arrivals purely because it wasn't Season of the Worthy, which is probably my most hated period of the franchise, right up there with Drifter and Curse of Osiris.

I loved Season of the Lost because the story was really interesting and worked really well as a prologue for Witch Queen (Mara and Savathun are two of my favorite characters, I'm sure that has a lot to do with it), Astral Alignment was a perfectly acceptable Diet Menagerie type of activity and Shattered Realm is probably one of my favorite seasonal activities because it felt the closest Destiny has ever gotten to being a Metroidvania. And I really like the super dark Ascendant Plane aesthetic.

Guns matter very little to me because after playing this game for six years (or I guess three years since the cut-off of gear that's actually still usable), I feel like I'll always have the guns I need for any given situation. Most of the new guns they add for a season wind up being extremely irrelevant, especially in today's game when primaries and legendaries have never been weaker. They'll add stuff with new perks that'll find its way into the meta, it'll come from one source or another, it doesn't really matter to me. Riptide is probably the most meaningful legendary they've added in the last couple of years and that's a Crucible drop, so.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The best thing about Arrivals was the free dungeon and Witherhoard. It was also the season where they changed their mind about sunsetting, so some old favorite weapons returned. Unfortunately it was also 5 months long and I could only do the new dungeon so many times. The seasonal event was not great. I remember angering pubbies because I would do the weapon swap trick to dunk more orbs and get the lovely event done faster.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mill Village posted:

It was also the season where they changed their mind about sunsetting, so some old favorite weapons returned.

No, it was the last season before sunsetting took place. Chosen (the second season of Beyond Light’s year) is when they ended sunsetting.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I found a tiermaker list and thought it would be fun to do some but with such small icons I can't even tell what most of them are. :lol:

I've always felt kinda bad for Season of the Dawn's gear, being the last stuff to get left out by Cruel Luke Smith's Sunsetting Scheme. There was some good stuff in there, I remember the Fusion Rifle being pretty nice.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's a fool's errand too because each season was a prisoner of the current state of the game

Curse of Osiris would be the best Season of D2 if released today with the modern sandbox, infrastructure, reward systems & gameplay loops

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Not if the dialogue was the same. :shepface:

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's funny to see Arrivals get much love in retrospect because it was not well-received at the time. Public Event Gambit on the planets that were about to be removed was a very weak Seasonal Activity. They turned up the Loot-o-meter to make up for it though, with the incredibly generous original Umbral system

I don'teven think it was on the planets getting vaulted. It was literally just Io.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

MJeff posted:

Not if the dialogue was the same. :shepface:

I would argue a few points here. Primarily that the quality of dialogue is still poo poo, but also that CoO has a larger handful of Memorable Lines (A Ghost, can do that?!) compared to most other seasons, and lastly that nobody really cares! Nobody's ranking a season higher or lower based on the dialogue

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Panderfringe posted:

I don'teven think it was on the planets getting vaulted. It was literally just Io.

It was on Io and Titan but not on Mars or Mercury

life_source
May 11, 2008

Please keep in mind my opinions are from the filthy, degenerate F2P perspective. You claim Lost's weapons suck and I'm sitting here wondering what Lost's Seasonal weapons even were. Fract, a 180 HC, uhhhh, a 360 AR and a Heavy GL????? My experience is entirely from the World Drop Loot pool and from a time when I had the energy and will to play in places I could get those.

Dawn was the most robbed season by far. I asked years ago what weapon set people wanted back the most and I still think there is huge potential to bring back one of those sets per season. I don't even think people would be too pissed off if a season had zero new weapons, just two reprised sets. They almost did that this season with the Takenfied Gambit weapons. Are any of them even good beyond that funny HC with the perk that makes Stasis PvP broken?

This isn't even an opinion. All I have to do is say "Steelfeather Repeater" or "Breachlight" and people start rightfully crying. Robbed. Robbed I say!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Bungie coulda easily spiced up Season of the Risen or Defiance by bringing back the Dawn/Black Armory weapons. What’s the hold up! They’re not even that good by today’s power-crept standards! We brought back Spare Rations and it’s garbage now!

life_source
May 11, 2008

It doesn't even matter if they stay the same or are powercrept or were and continue to be garbage. They have cool aesthetics and they can be differentiated by their foundry perk.

EDI:T Black Armoury weapons also had tons of unique and cool scopes and sights, that's enough to keep them strong and viable if they pick and choose creatively plus they are moving towards dynamic reticles or whatever is happening with Shayuras.

life_source fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 8, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If Scourge is indeed the returning raid next season I assume that's when we'll get the rest of the Season of the Forge weapons back.

life_source posted:

EDI:T Black Armoury weapons also had tons of unique and cool scopes and sights, that's enough to keep them strong and viable if they pick and choose creatively plus they are moving towards dynamic reticles or whatever is happening with Shayuras.

They're loving around with zoom a lot next season, right? Maybe that's the hold-up.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

It's not scourge.

Current theory is that it's Crota's End but somehow very remastered to be more of a raid.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I don't think Crota's End needs that much, the Age of Triumph version at the end of Destiny 1 already did quite a bit to improve it. Beef up Thrallway and Deathsingers a bit more and I think it'll be good to go.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

life_source posted:

Please keep in mind my opinions are from the filthy, degenerate F2P perspective. You claim Lost's weapons suck and I'm sitting here wondering what Lost's Seasonal weapons even were. Fract, a 180 HC, uhhhh, a 360 AR and a Heavy GL????? My experience is entirely from the World Drop Loot pool and from a time when I had the energy and will to play in places I could get those.

No one talking about "seasonal guns" is ever talking about world drops. You are pretty much the only person ITT who doesn't buy seasons.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I would argue a few points here. Primarily that the quality of dialogue is still poo poo, but also that CoO has a larger handful of Memorable Lines (A Ghost, can do that?!) compared to most other seasons, and lastly that nobody really cares! Nobody's ranking a season higher or lower based on the dialogue

Nah Arrivals kicked rear end just for Drifter and Eris flirting on comms

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Nah Arrivals kicked rear end just for Drifter and Eris flirting on comms

I think my favourite exchange in the whole season was when after a contact event Eris calls Drifter a "Meretricious Rogue" (Drifter's response: "Don't cuss at me") and at some point later in the season an entire separate exchange happens when Drifter reveals he has tracked down a dictionary to look up what "Meretricious" means

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That season also had Prophecy, which had Drifter saying "Yeah well that's just like your opinion man."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Stanning Rat/Moondust itt

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RocketRaygun posted:

Current theory is that it's Crota's End but somehow very remastered to be more of a raid.
It's small enough they could just bring it back as a dungeon, couldn't they?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's small enough they could just bring it back as a dungeon, couldn't they?

What does this mean?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MJeff posted:

That season also had Prophecy, which had Drifter saying "Yeah well that's just like your opinion man."

A horse…

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What does this mean?

… The Crota raid from D1 is small enough that it could come back in D2 as a dungeon.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

FlapYoJacks posted:

… The Crota raid from D1 is small enough that it could come back in D2 as a dungeon.

What would that mean? How does the activity change?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What would that mean? How does the activity change?

Presumably so a full sized raid can take its spot.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

FlapYoJacks posted:

Presumably so a full sized raid can take its spot.

What does this mean? What is its spot? What is Crota's End missing in order to be a full sized raid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s probably viable as a 3-man activity with minimal changes:

Thrall pit: this is just that one segment of Lightblade with the lights turned off. Reduce enemy spawns to accommodate the lower player count

Bridges: this is the only tricky one since it does actually have six unique roles, but there’s probably a way to reduce that without it feeling too different, maybe through linking the two sides of the bridge so e.g. left plate counts as neutralizing the totems on both sides

Thrallway: this is not an encounter, just a meat grinder

Deathsinger: the original version of this barely had mechanics, just a loose order in which you had to kill certain spawns. I don’t actually remember how it was changed for age of triumph

Crota: there are already only two roles in this (stunner and sword guy). Add an exhaustion debuff to force you to rotate who does what

It also has a bunch of team wipe conditions which dungeons don’t normally have but maybe those can be replaced with a regression of progress or a tough spawn wave or something. Or just kill the one guy who screwed up

It feels small compared to other raids because it has very little acreage, there are none of the extended travel sequences you get in most endgame activities. Straight out of the thrall pit into the bridges, down a short hallway to the final room, the end