Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

John A posted:

There’s no greater pleasure than drawing the inside of a car and trying to arrange comic characters within it, from a series of angles. It’s easy and that’s why everybody does it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Billie certainly has some powers. Who else could get Reverend Penrose to sniff a tailpipe? It’s no one’s idea of a good time.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I figured Billie's choice to lodge with Satan was a straightforward attempt to thwart Tom's evil plans and keep Brian out of trouble, is there a bigger secret? I should probably reread Steeple from the beginning one of these days.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

davidspackage posted:

I figured Billie's choice to lodge with Satan was a straightforward attempt to thwart Tom's evil plans and keep Brian out of trouble, is there a bigger secret? I should probably reread Steeple from the beginning one of these days.

I mean the central joke of the series is that the only real difference between the two churches is that one has all the orgies, which is why the two central characters so easily swap denominations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

davidspackage posted:

I figured Billie's choice to lodge with Satan was a straightforward attempt to thwart Tom's evil plans and keep Brian out of trouble, is there a bigger secret?

Billie decided that based on a vision from (in theory) God. We do know she does have some sort of holy power because she literally burns good ol' Magus Tom whenever they touch each other.

There's also been mentions of a darker past before, which fits because she's always been the opposite of Maggie and Maggie was an ultra hippie back in her teens. At some point we may learn how it all fits. Maybe.

MACAW.AVI
Dec 1, 2013
Wasn’t there also a scene where the two of them nearly got raptured, and Maggie started ascending heavenward, but Billie stayed on the ground?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Where do I find the comic that introduces one to Steeple? It seems to have started with the ressiest of medias on the online strip

MACAW.AVI
Dec 1, 2013
If your local public library subscribes to Hoopla, the original 3 volumes (which come before the first chapter posted on the site) are available through there. If not, you can buy them from Dark Horse Comics.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, Steeple started as a Dark Horse published series, but then they basically dropped it after five issues, so Allison's been releasing new stories occasionally on steeple.church

They seem happy to be releasing TPB of collected stories since then, as Vol2 and Vol3 collect stuff that's been released publicly before.

MACAW.AVI posted:

Wasn’t there also a scene where the two of them nearly got raptured, and Maggie started ascending heavenward, but Billie stayed on the ground?

I... don't seem to recall this scene at all?

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 8, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Saoshyant posted:

I... don't seem to recall this scene at all?

It's in the story arc that involves the new more corporate satanic church afaik

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Re: the Steeple print issues:

Issue 3 was the one with the "mini-rapture". Actually involved a Christian themed renewable energy group that had opened a wind farm in the area. It involved both the Satanists and the Christians teaming up to stop it, the Christians because of the potential unintended consequences of the whole "mini-rapture" and the Satanists because the wind turbines were designed to look like crosses.

Issue 5, the last print issue, was the one with Billie and Maggie changing allegiances. In Billie's case it's because of a hexed vacuum cleaner. More specifically, when Mrs. Clovis took the Dyson vacuum cleaner to the "hipster witches" to repair it, they put a spell on it to make the next person who used it question their beliefs intending Clovis to be the target. When Billie used it to clean it caused her crisis of faith which led to her joining the Satanists. Thus none of the cast, including Billie herself, knows why she joined the Church of Satan.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The_Other posted:

Re: the Steeple print issues

Thanks for clearing it up.

John A posted:

Panel 4 is a reference to a cover of Der Spiegel from 1992. Quite why I have remembered it for 31 years, I do not know. It was in our school library.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Gonna be honest, Billie supposedly not being as good a person as the thinks she is feels like an informed attribute at this point, in contrast to how we've seen Maggie standing up for the right thing several times. The comic hints that Billie used to be this nasty snake back in her hometown and just suddenly decided to switch to being good one day, but we haven't seen this in action. The worst she's done is help the church lie to the bishop who was checking in on them, but even that involved Billie putting together an actual food drive.

I just find it weird, like maybe Allison can't commit to making Billie a jerk? It's not like he hasn't written protagonists being terrible plenty of times, either. See: Susan and the poo poo she does in Giant Days.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Whatever Billie did in her past, she's clearly overcompensating by going the exact opposite direction in the present. She's not a jerk, though, and especially never on Susan's nasty level.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Billie strikes me as someone who takes the church of Satan's "do whatever the gently caress you want" approach to do good and wholesome things for the community, because that's what she wants to do. There's no actual contradiction here, just a subversion of what you expect a Satanist to be.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think the joke is she's not a bad person but thinks that because she's on Team Satan now she's got to be at least slightly evil, but the best she can do is pretend to fart on the saints.

She's trying to be wicked but she's just not cut out for it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Didn't she have an orgy ritual to summon jobs to the town and it caused a flood because of ironic devil dealing? During the movie shoot story. Not necessarily evil(she had a good motivation!), pretty wicked.

I'd just take Billie at her word that she wanted a religion that gave her the thumbs up for gettin' super freaky.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
I think the character description on the Steeple page sums up Billies "bad" actions prior to the comic nicely:

quote:

Billie is an optimistic, positive, and slightly naïve young woman. She really believes that she has been called to do good, but such has been her single-minded pursuit of this position since childhood, that she has never stopped to question whether she might have made the right decision. There is also the question of all the bad things she “accidentally” did while doing good. After a brief spell as a Church of England curate, she joined the Church of Satan.

As Doomykins mentions, it's not that Billie seeks to do bad things, it's just that in the process of doing good she A) might end up doing morally questionable actions for good goals and/or B) not think about any possible unintended consequences of her goals.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

P.S: the Reverend didn't like it

John A posted:

I wonder what Billie’s going to do. I never know what S1 and S2 on an automatic gearbox do. Does one of them make you go faster than the other? Is it “Sport 1” and “Sport 2”? Does it have something to do with “engine braking”? My first car had a switch you could press on the side of the gearstick and I used to try to have it in each setting 50% of the time because I didn’t know which one was “right”.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gymer
May 30, 2012
Was the storyline from Wicked Things ever resolved, the frame up and real killer, or was it just dropped?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gymer posted:

Was the storyline from Wicked Things ever resolved, the frame up and real killer, or was it just dropped?

Wasn't resolved in the first mini series, but then BOOM (publisher) apparently didn't renovate for a second one, and later on Charlotte became the main character in a different series (Solver), so the plot of WT may never conclude.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Also, Great British Bump Off ended today and one of its final pages is a real beauty of a scene:

Powerful message

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

There is currently no Transformers comics licensee. That means I can do ANYTHING I WANT. See you tomorrow!

[UPDATE: Since this blog post was written in early May 2023, there is now a Transformers licensee and you will have to see who does it better, me or Daniel Warren Johnson.]

[UPDATE UPDATE: for legal reasons, please use the term “generic cyber changers” in all correspondence.]

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Chet chut chot is a pretty decent onimatoepia for the Transformer noise.

I reread the Sentai arc of Steeple over the weekend, so this doesn't feel too out there.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

My first thought reading this was the transformer at the end of the "Bear is Driving?!?" episode of Clerks the Animated Series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

howe_sam posted:

My first thought reading this was the transformer at the end of the "Bear is Driving?!?" episode of Clerks the Animated Series

Mine was an old PBF comic:

davidspackage posted:

I reread the Sentai arc of Steeple over the weekend, so this doesn't feel too out there.

Also, yeah. I didn't expect the new Steeple story being about generic cyber changers, but much like that Sentai arch it doesn't come completely out of the left field.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Here’s a cover designed to intrigue. Feel free to divine which of these disparate elements relate to the plot and which ones I put on there deliberately to confuse and mislead you. Because it’s a real grab bag of the irrelevant and relevant. The whole story will be up on my Patreon for $3-and-up subscribers on Monday. This one has turned out particularly well, maybe my favourite Steeple story so far.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's interesting that basically every Satanist in the comic except Magus Tom seems to be a basically decent person just out there doing what they wilt, but the actual Satanic supernatural forces are pretty much just straight-up evil.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

The story of Mata Hari is an intriguing one. I don’t remember where I first heard her name but it seemed to come up as an accusation a lot when I was young. Not by me. I wasn’t accusing women of being German spies “willy-nilly”.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Just caught up on Steeple from the start. This comic's good as hell. I love Allison building some heightened characters, a tight setting, and committing to structure, it works really, really well. It's like a dedicated space for him to do the weird supernatural stories with characters who are thematically connected to them, which ends up strengthening both.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

I think this story really came into its own when I decided that Reverend Penrose would try in vain to twist the robot’s head off. It all flowed from there, backwards and forwards.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
People in the Comic Strip Megathread made Headmaster jokes already, but maybe Rev Penrose is going to hug his knees and become this depressed robo's new head.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
No sound effect as the Polo mints left the mouth area of the generic cyber changer. There was no "p'too" but that makes sense as this is a metal construct. No "foomp" to indicate a pneumatic system. So I presume the mints were moved internally to the head area and then just fell out with the help of gravity.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I appreciate the attention to detail in the Robochanger's speech bubbles, with the straight lines and coloured blocks a la the old Marvel TF comics.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Now we’re into the meat of the thing. Or rather, now we’re into the hardest pages to draw in this story. Enjoy a compelling flashback rendered over several pages to an exacting 1980s standard.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Maybe… MAYBE I have too much of a soft spot for a Jack Kirby-esque science fiction notion. But what harm has it ever done anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

This character reminds me of something, but I can’t think what. Given that during the creation of this story, no one was laying claim to the Transformers comics license, this is your sole source of changing robot comics and it’s at least 50% as good as anything Bob Budiansky wrote. Lucky to get it!