Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Setting up some diffuse lighting (e.g. shine a bright light at a wall), and turning off any direct lighting can make it easier to get a reasonable photo of a glossy card.

You mentioned the card being "slightly smaller". What part is smaller? How did you make that determination?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

I played the original first gen stuff back in the late 90s, laughably when I think about it I probably had all those rare cards that I lost over the years a long while back and get really depressed. Anyways, in my 38 year old midlife crisis I want to maybe play between me and my girlfriend just for fun when we have the time. I assume these battle boxes in the OP are the best way to do that, or if I just dropped money on a full booster pack box, would I be be able to make decks from all the cards?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
A booster box would not be able to build fun decks. The V Battle Decks or ex Battle Decks are intro products, which are fun but simple. Their problem is that most of the power is concentrated in the one shiny card. Getting a pair of league battle decks gives strong, interesting decks to play.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Taking oink ex to my first league cup tomorrow. I feel pretty confident against lost zone decks generally, but Lugia and ArcTina are going to be tough for me and my lil pigs. Gardevoir is a free win it feels like, because of how often you can judge path them. Also Drapion for the Mew match up obviously. I just really enjoy playing tanky colorless decks with funny little guys, instead of what I've surmised is the god of all creation, and whatever the hell a Giratina is.

I won my first tournament ever back in December with a Blissey V control deck, but this tournament is going to be way bigger, officially sanctioned, and I'm way more scared. I just picked up the game back in October, but I feel this immense pressure to preform well because of how much my league friends hype me up. Gonna try and make them proud!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So I moved to MTG when Live launched because it was hot garbage. Came back to see cool Scarlet/Violet stuff and hopes that the client was better...Guess I'll continue with MTG. What the Christ are they thinking? This is a hot mess.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I'd never played Pokemon TCG, but my kids want to play. I got the battle academy, and a couple v battle decks. We've played a dozens of games. I have a few questions-

-i used to play magic, where different color decks kind of informed your play style. Is that the same with Pokemon? I can't really tell from the 5 decks I've played, they all seem like they've all played the same.

-if I buy an ex battle deck, or league battle deck, are those just going to destroy the v battle decks every time?

-in the op it says to have around 20 Pokemon in a deck. If I'm going to build a deck for funsies, is there a distribution of pokemon HP, or attack power? I got a few boosters with the sets I've bought, and I nearly have 20 water type, but I don't know if they'll make a satisfactory deck.

-are there other ways to play besides 1v1? Magic has draft and commander and something else. Does Pokemon have anything like that? Is there a 2v2 format that works?

-I'm looking forward to the upcoming 151 expansion, because my knowledge of pokemon ends at red and blue. Reading online it sounds like pokemon has a bad scalping problem. How hard is it going to be to get sets and packs when 151 is released?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

killer crane posted:

I'd never played Pokemon TCG, but my kids want to play. I got the battle academy, and a couple v battle decks. We've played a dozens of games. I have a few questions-

-i used to play magic, where different color decks kind of informed your play style. Is that the same with Pokemon? I can't really tell from the 5 decks I've played, they all seem like they've all played the same.

Pokémon types don't really work the way colours work in Magic. And at the causal cards-i-own level of deck building, there's not really a lot of depth to the game, so it's not surprising if all the decks feel kind of samey.

If you get more into it to the point where you're building focused decks, they do start feeling and playing quite differently from each other. But that's more down to the specific cards you're choosing to put in each deck, not really anything to do with colour themes.

quote:

-if I buy an ex battle deck, or league battle deck, are those just going to destroy the v battle decks every time?

ex battle decks I would expect to be on par with V battle decks on average - they're the same concept, it's just that the newer sets have ex pokemon instead of V pokemon, so it's a different name.

League battle decks are absolutely a cut above that and yeah, probably will destroy pretty consistently.

quote:

-in the op it says to have around 20 Pokemon in a deck. If I'm going to build a deck for funsies, is there a distribution of pokemon HP, or attack power? I got a few boosters with the sets I've bought, and I nearly have 20 water type, but I don't know if they'll make a satisfactory deck.

This really comes down to what you're going to be playing it against. Against a focused competitive deck it probably wouldn't be very fun.

Against other casual decks, being satisfying to play mostly comes down to being able to see enough cards that you feel like you're advancing your game plan every turn.

quote:

-are there other ways to play besides 1v1? Magic has draft and commander and something else. Does Pokemon have anything like that? Is there a 2v2 format that works?

You could probably house-rule up a totally fine 2HG mode for casual stuff, but I'm not aware of anything official that exists.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

killer crane posted:

-I'm looking forward to the upcoming 151 expansion, because my knowledge of pokemon ends at red and blue. Reading online it sounds like pokemon has a bad scalping problem. How hard is it going to be to get sets and packs when 151 is released?

Mostly it’s about paying attention to prices and getting into pre-orders. You missed many of the pre-order rounds for 151 this week. Local game stores will also scalp pretty hard. You want to know what products exist and what MSRP is before you agree to buy anything.

151 will be printed into the loving ground. It’ll sell out and prices will leap like crazy at first, then it’ll calm down. For reference, last years set that sits in the yearly rotation that 151 is going in (crown zenith) is still releasing new product in the next few months, and crown zenith remains very available.

If you have a couple LGS near you, it’s worth a call to see if they’re doing 151 pre-orders. Otherwise wait for Pokémon center or target to have some pre-orders up.

This discord will also ping you if you sign up for the 151 role when pre-orders go, you just gotta be quick and pay attention to pricing.

https://discord.gg/BDJRuTat

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

The Alternate Play handbook from last year has a multilayer raid battle format and a team battle thing, dunno how they play tho

https://assets.pokemon.com//assets/cms2/pdf/trading-card-game/tcg-alternative-play-handbook-en.pdf

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Anyone have a good lead on Team Rocket's Snorlax? I'm about to pull the trigger on this but I'm a little hesitant. What do you guys think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256125466066

Comes out to $405ish after the discount + taxes. I wish it was PSA graded.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How much more powerful/complicated are the two-pack duel decks than the decks in the starter board game thing with Pikachu/Cinderace/Eevie?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Much more, the battle arena decks have little to no effects on pokemon, where the ex battle decks are just a normal starter deck that has some form of synergy to it. It's not like jumping to league battle decks, but you'll notice a difference.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
drat these sets come out fast huh

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Yeah they do. Also it is worlds, here is a code for Secret Rare Charizard. I think only good this weekend on PTCGL: CelebrateWCS23

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Fritzler posted:

Yeah they do. Also it is worlds, here is a code for Secret Rare Charizard. I think only good this weekend on PTCGL: CelebrateWCS23

Thanks for posting this. That’s a sick freebie!

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

killer crane posted:

To some extent you'll see certain side-effects on attacks more with certain types of pokemon, but there's enough fancy stuff on higher-end pokemon that it's less obvious than it used to be. For example, in older sets, a lot of fire pokemon would have attacks that require you to discard energy after, while grass might have more healing side effects, and wherever poison-type pokemon are living at the time (currently in dark, but it was originally in grass and then in psychic) is going to have the most effects that cause poison.

But since only the pokemon themselves have types you don't get any "characteristic spell traits" on items or supporters generally, and like I said, high-end things like Pokemon ex stand out from a lot of those patterns anyway.

The Golux fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 11, 2023

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

What do those rainbow coins do in Pokemon Live?

djfooboo posted:

So I moved to MTG when Live launched because it was hot garbage. Came back to see cool Scarlet/Violet stuff and hopes that the client was better...Guess I'll continue with MTG. What the Christ are they thinking? This is a hot mess.

Yeah I'm kind of not liking this client... only ranked and casual play with no events or anything else. Just grinding those battle passes, yuck.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Worlds 2023 final match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idx-R5lpx70

The winner was:

I haven't been following the game too closely this year but I was surprised to see three Fusion Mews in the Top 8. I assume it keeps bouncing back after every new round of hate printed for it because people stop respecting it. Feels like it's cyclical, and at this point the only thing that's going to stop it will be rotation.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's a really good deck, and the hate is both beatable and doesn't really transfer to other decks. All you gotta do is spike a couple of rounds and then you're feasting on the players that chose to skimp on hate to get an edge against every other deck.

The only thing that's gonna knock it down is a deck that's legitimately good against it without needing to bring any hate pieces.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Honestly, I stopped watching Worlds midway through Day 1 when I realised the meta basically hasn't changed in months and months

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
My kids (5 and 7) are getting into Pokemon. I started buying the $5 packs for them when I go grocery shopping. I ordered red sleeves for one kid and blue sleeves for the other. I have to learn the TCG rules to be ready to teach and play with them, but I think they're too young right now.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Dirac Fourier posted:

My kids (5 and 7) are getting into Pokemon. I started buying the $5 packs for them when I go grocery shopping. I ordered red sleeves for one kid and blue sleeves for the other. I have to learn the TCG rules to be ready to teach and play with them, but I think they're too young right now.

Give it a shot. My 5 year old is currently pretty deep with it- the starter set is really good

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

John Romero posted:

Give it a shot. My 5 year old is currently pretty deep with it- the starter set is really good
I agree, I have used the starter set as an introduction, it is great!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

There is also this launching next month

https://www.pokebeach.com/2023/07/pokemon-tcg-my-first-battle-product-images-revealed

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

Looks good, thanks! I’m going to wait on this and grab a pair for the kids

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

John Romero posted:

+1 to the starter set being good. Honestly the best intro product I've ever seen for a tcg.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

+1 to the starter set being good. Honestly the best intro product I've ever seen for a tcg.

I was really impressed with it- it introduces every single aspect so well. I’m not sure what they’re doing with making the new sets so rudimentary.

To other dad here, it’s a really good learn to read tool as well

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Ok, what the gently caress is this Pokemon 151 I read about? Looks like a redo of the original TCG I'm assuming? I feel like this would be something cool and nostalgic to play with my girlfriend if there's gonna be starter boxes and stuff for this set.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

iroguebot posted:

Ok, what the gently caress is this Pokemon 151 I read about? Looks like a redo of the original TCG I'm assuming? I feel like this would be something cool and nostalgic to play with my girlfriend if there's gonna be starter boxes and stuff for this set.

Just a set based on the 151 Gen1 pokemon. They are modern cards, not reprints.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
My five year old also started with Battle Academy, and a few months later we’re now very much into this game, albeit in different ways. He likes big numbers (it’s kind of horrifying how good his math has gotten since we started this) and I like cool art.

I’ve been having incredible luck. I’ve opened 12 packs of Obsidian Flames so far and gotten three SIRs, two IRs, and two Pidgeot ex. And we hadn’t bought much Paldea Evolved, so I ordered a 6-pack booster bundle and it arrived yesterday. The seller (on TCGplayer) “ran out” of bundles, so he put in 8 loose packs instead. I was skeptical, but I figured it’s mostly for my kid, quantity over quality is fine, it was cheap anyway, they can’t all be winners, etc. But then within those 8 loose packs, I pulled a hyper rare (Quaquaval ex, my kid’s favorite), Noivern ex (for me!), the Heracross and Arctibax IRs (both lovely), and a bunch of regular rares and uncommons we wanted for our decks.

This game is good clean fun, and pretty cheap all things considered. I can’t wait until 151.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Sulecrist posted:

My five year old also started with Battle Academy, and a few months later we’re now very much into this game, albeit in different ways. He likes big numbers (it’s kind of horrifying how good his math has gotten since we started this) and I like cool art.

I’ve been having incredible luck. I’ve opened 12 packs of Obsidian Flames so far and gotten three SIRs, two IRs, and two Pidgeot ex. And we hadn’t bought much Paldea Evolved, so I ordered a 6-pack booster bundle and it arrived yesterday. The seller (on TCGplayer) “ran out” of bundles, so he put in 8 loose packs instead. I was skeptical, but I figured it’s mostly for my kid, quantity over quality is fine, it was cheap anyway, they can’t all be winners, etc. But then within those 8 loose packs, I pulled a hyper rare (Quaquaval ex, my kid’s favorite), Noivern ex (for me!), the Heracross and Arctibax IRs (both lovely), and a bunch of regular rares and uncommons we wanted for our decks.

This game is good clean fun, and pretty cheap all things considered. I can’t wait until 151.

Yeah I understand the arguments about buying cards separately and all but I am never going to go play anywhere competitively and will not allow my kid to until he’s older so cracking packs is fun, especially those weird bundles that they put together at Target. It seems like the magic set up where some sets you can just skip completely as well.

151’s gonna be a monster I think. Going to try to buy the gift set because our cardstock damage counters are getting worn

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

John Romero posted:

Yeah I understand the arguments about buying cards separately and all but I am never going to go play anywhere competitively and will not allow my kid to until he’s older so cracking packs is fun, especially those weird bundles that they put together at Target. It seems like the magic set up where some sets you can just skip completely as well.

151’s gonna be a monster I think. Going to try to buy the gift set because our cardstock damage counters are getting worn

If you just want to play with a kid, you can buy the EX decks and then later the league battle decks. A lot of the older ones have rotated out of standard, but that doesn't actually matter if you're not going to play at a store or in a tournament or something. I started with the academy starter box when my daughter was 6? she might have been 5 when we got it, but she didn't really get into it until 6. And now she's 7 and has a league deck and can at least play/understand everything. Her ability to plan out and land combos is pretty poor, but well she's 7. I don't personally like the gambling aspect of packs so I try to stay away from them.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
Packs are sometimes problematic with my kids if one of them gets a nice card and the other one doesn’t. I flip flop between “this is a good learning experience for the children” and “this is a pain in the rear end, and I’m not buying packs anymore”

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dirac Fourier posted:

Packs are sometimes problematic with my kids if one of them gets a nice card and the other one doesn’t. I flip flop between “this is a good learning experience for the children” and “this is a pain in the rear end, and I’m not buying packs anymore”

Buy a booster box find the hits and reseal all the packs so it’s equal

:getin:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Opening boosters with my kid is a real good time—we generally open one at a time (usually about two per week) and then take turns drafting. That said, most of the cards that really appeal to my five year old are <$0.75 on TCGPlayer and ~$1 on eBay. I have a small mountain of Pokémon V and ex cards that I use as weekly rewards and/or to “trade” for anything that I want when we open a booster together.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Always looking to my LGS and people trading for singles, but barring that, does anyone have a recommendation for buying singles online, preferably west coast Canada?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

no broccoli please posted:

Always looking to my LGS and people trading for singles, but barring that, does anyone have a recommendation for buying singles online, preferably west coast Canada?

USA, but ebay is typically safest as you can pick listings with actual pictures of the cards and it’s pretty easy to get your money back if you get scammed. Sometimes you can score a deal if you’re lucky/vigilant.

TCG player for anything condition isn’t a big deal for. It’ll be cheaper (especially if you’re buying in bulk from one seller).

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
I ended up getting Battle Academy for the kids. It’s pretty shocking how fast my 5 yo learned the game and he’s talking about deck building now. I think this will be a lot of fun for us. Thanks for the recommendation!

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Man, I'm too deep into collecting every Snorlax card. I'm liquidating nerd poo poo just to finish it off. Takes up less space so it's a win-win. Here's my newest pick up:

Left is the staff promo and the reverse holo of Call of Legends. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Went with ebay, found a listing with the exact cards I needed. 50 bucks all in, maybe a little more than I would have liked to pay but not bad in the grand scheme of things. I want these ones both competitively and as a collection. I've got the full art Tinkatink already, so this is perfect. Here's the cards, and an example of how hard they can hit.

Hell of a way to finish that match.