Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Literally A Person posted:

Those sound p classy.

They’re p reliable and worth the extra few bucks considering I clean and ride them for a year+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Grassy Knowles posted:

They’re p reliable and worth the extra few bucks considering I clean and ride them for a year+

Might have to check out a set. I've been a pretty committed Bones Reds rider but I always enjoy trying some new kit

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Might have to check out a set. I've been a pretty committed Bones Reds rider but I always enjoy trying some new kit

Reds are definitely a fine bearing, I prefer g2s slightly to reds (find them lasting longer and running smoother), and g3s are smoother than g2s but wont last longer than g2s without maintenance

Everything else I’ve used has been kinda poo poo.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

While switching my boots/frames over I've moved them forward slightly what can possibly go wrong!?!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
It occurred to me that my old old 4x90 frames will fit my new boots so I got some cheap wheels off Amazon and shazam. I’ve got some trails near me that are good, but a little hairy (for me) on 125s, so maybe the 90s will be more manager but still pretty quick

It’s still hilarious to me how big 125s are

Edit: that old frame might need to be pink :thunk:

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 2, 2023

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

thanks for the rec-- I'm enjoying my new derby wrists, though the soft portion of the guard kinda makes me wish I coulda ordered an XXL.

questions from the casual / beginner dude:

what kind of cleaning and/or maintenance should I be thinking about for my blades?

what are the tradeoffs around big wheels v. small wheels? if I mostly like blading to enjoy getting exercise and going distances, are bigger wheels a good idea?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

dupersaurus posted:

It occurred to me that my old old 4x90 frames will fit my new boots so I got some cheap wheels off Amazon and shazam. I’ve got some trails near me that are good, but a little hairy (for me) on 125s, so maybe the 90s will be more manager but still pretty quick

It’s still hilarious to me how big 125s are

I was bored with the 110mm frame I had and replaced it with 76mm frame with 72s on front and back and it's now my preferred thing. It's pretty slow, but I can turn on a dime and it's great for skating with my wife since she's a lot slower than me so I still get a good work out keeping the same pace with her on her 90mm wheels

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I ended up doing around 115 mi in quads last week (estimating conservatively).

I’m p happy that I
1. Beat my prior record by at a minimum 33 miles
2. Didn’t measure, but tried mapping afterwards so that my top # isn’t something to compete against and I can focus more on the feelings
3. Actually made a few leg muscles tired for the first time in a long while
4. Did 5 rain rides
5. Got a folding cane that can easily clip to my bumbag

Less happy that I
1. Am nearing the end of this set of g3s (the shields on enough of the bearings are hosed enough that I’m running shieldless on this set going forward)
2. Found a hematoma on my hip to work out
3. Am thinking about punking out on a bearing press

And v specifically unhappy that I won’t afford grind blocks for a while

Overall a great week, 9/10 will do again

mystes
May 31, 2006

drat that's a lot of skating

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

mystes posted:

We should all be so lucky :hai:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

prisoner of waffles posted:

what kind of cleaning and/or maintenance should I be thinking about for my blades?

what are the tradeoffs around big wheels v. small wheels? if I mostly like blading to enjoy getting exercise and going distances, are bigger wheels a good idea?

Rotating wheels is the main thing else you end up grinding down the sides and it fucks up your stride, but there's no hard and fast time to do it, just when you look at them and go "hmm these aren't symmetrical at all" (some asymmetry is unavoidable).

When I rotate the wheels I give the bearings a wipe down just to get the crap off the outers, and maybe clean the frames a bit. I have some bearing oil I drop onto them and then let it soak in a bit but tbh I think that's just a placebo. For reference I've had these bearings for like 4 or 5 years and they're still fine.

Big wheels let you ride over stuff more easily and you're less likely to "dig in"and go flying, you can retain speed better as well but it's way harder to pick up speed so imo they're bad for group skate or any solo where you're starting and stopping because it's tiring. You also lose some stability, manoeuvrability....idk probably not if you're used to the stability because your contact points are not much different to a 4x setup.

I didn't really like my 3x110s and am on 4x80s. Might buy some 4x90s though.

mystes posted:

I know a guy that does street skating on derby quads and did just under 70km in one day the other week jfc that's a lot.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

prisoner of waffles posted:

If you just like puttering around and don’t have any particular need for speed there’s nothing wrong with staying between 80-90. Like mentioned previously, bigger wheels do have some ride quality benefits, but as wheels get bigger the more they demand of your ankles for stability and legs for speed control and stopping.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I fell off skating because it got criminally hot and then it won't stop raining, but I finally slapped them on and did some balance work inside and I'm so mad it's supposed to rain all week. I need to not have a rainy season. It felt really good to just do it a little inside.

I'm going to try to stick with it and I should be able to clear a spot so I can keep working on practicing my stops for when I can finally get back outside again.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

felgs posted:

I fell off skating because it got criminally hot and then it won't stop raining, but I finally slapped them on and did some balance work inside and I'm so mad it's supposed to rain all week. I need to not have a rainy season. It felt really good to just do it a little inside.

I'm going to try to stick with it and I should be able to clear a spot so I can keep working on practicing my stops for when I can finally get back outside again.

Do you have a rink anywhere around you? A decent (if a little boring) way to get some practice. They are few and far between these days though.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Go find a wet parking lot and practice sliding stops :getin:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

While switching my boots/frames over I've moved them forward slightly what can possibly go wrong!?!

Nothing! Nothing at all! I should have done this years ago! I can actually get some slide in now instead of digging the heel in!

Went straight out and did 23 miles on them by chaining two old routes I used to go down before I moved. In 30C heat, no accidents.

Also whoever recommended that tightening process for boots with top buckles instead of ratchets, it does seem better!

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Planning to go somewhere with very nice beside-the-water asphalt and do some laps on Sunday. 🤞

E: also will be my first ride after swapping wheels left for right and rotating, curious to see how it feels

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Do you have a rink anywhere around you? A decent (if a little boring) way to get some practice. They are few and far between these days though.

The closest indoor rink is an hour bus ride. :smith:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

felgs posted:

The closest indoor rink is an hour bus ride. :smith:

Get some acetone and face to wet riding? It’s actually REALLY fun I just get tired of cleaning bearings, but I’d rather clean than spend more than two days off

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Nothing! Nothing at all! I should have done this years ago! I can actually get some slide in now instead of digging the heel in!

Went straight out and did 23 miles on them by chaining two old routes I used to go down before I moved. In 30C heat, no accidents.

Also whoever recommended that tightening process for boots with top buckles instead of ratchets, it does seem better!

I think that was my recommendation. Giving a minute for everything to compress and especially tightening the lower parts of the boot bring the top parts closer together and easier to pull and push on.

If I haven't worn them for a while it seems harder to close and my feet also get sore in a spot or two before they get rebroken in, either my feet or the boots or both.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Grassy Knowles posted:

Get some acetone and face to wet riding? It’s actually REALLY fun I just get tired of cleaning bearings, but I’d rather clean than spend more than two days off

This is not great advice for someone who barely knows how to stop, I have not been relearning for that long and I definitely do not feel comfortable skating in wet weather.

I settled for relacing the boots and practicing balance and motions inside. Tomorrow's looking to be sunny and dry, I will be able to go and skate to the library and back :unsmith:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mauser posted:

I think that was my recommendation. Giving a minute for everything to compress and especially tightening the lower parts of the boot bring the top parts closer together and easier to pull and push on.

If I haven't worn them for a while it seems harder to close and my feet also get sore in a spot or two before they get rebroken in, either my feet or the boots or both.

Oh I definitely have to tighten after a few minutes when they warm up, even with the ratchet in the top.

Now I want to go do some actual technique practice but of course it's now thunderstorms for two days.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

felgs posted:

This is not great advice for someone who barely knows how to stop, I have not been relearning for that long and I definitely do not feel comfortable skating in wet weather.

Sorry for being a little flippant, I’m always going to err on the side of empowerment as I hear too many people say “i couldn’t do that” when comparing themselves to my skating, and that’s almost never true. Like, I’m not young, I didn’t really start young, and I came to the sport in earnest already in need of mobility aids*. I’m really not that good, I’m just practiced and try to stay aware of my limits. That can lead to some advice that sounds heady or foolhardy for you or comes off entirely brash.

I agree you shouldn’t do it for transport or in other uncontrolled environments in that situation, but I still think if you can get mentally and physically prepared to fall that wet weather skating will actually be really useful (don’t discount the mentally prepared part, I’m never intending to push always trying to boost).

What you learn for stopping in wet weather will always work, and better, in dry weather. If you have appropriate pads (I recommend thigh/butt pads on top of the general joint set), know how to fall, and don’t mind finding an isolated space to skate in (most popular skate spots end up empty during rain) you can learn a ton fairly quickly and get a huge confidence boost. I’ve always learned the most in sessions like this. Learning to keep your skates/bearings clean early on is also great.

I also know some people just put their skates on while they’re in the kitchen cooking/doing dishes so that they don’t get too out of practice. I really hate spending multiple days without my skates on, I’ve worn a trenchcoat to the airport in 39C weather to keep my skates on a leash around my neck without them counting as a carryon.

*I know I talk about it in thread, and want to note that my cane usage when walking is not based in any kind of skate or sporting injury. It’s from my knee TW:injury description hitting a metal bar and both changing shape and shifting, making the tendons less reliable to keep it in place without swelling up to do so.. I do have some scars from cycling interactions with cars in the aughts, but just cosmetic (nothing that functionally affects me or my capabilities). My skating actually does much to improve the condition of my problem leg. I think this is important to note because I know that plenty of folks in need of mobility aids or otherwise disabled will have different considerations and results.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I suggest pouring a container of olive oil on a hardwood floor and skating through it at high speed.

Delicious.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I suggest pouring a container of olive oil on a hardwood floor and skating through it at high speed.

Delicious.

If you cover the floor in speed cream you dont even need to clean your bearings afterward

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I’m amending my advice; the guy at the skate shop just asked if I’ve ever lubed with gasoline because “it’s the best” so cover the floor in that

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
That guy is dumb. Gasoline is a solvent. It's great for cleaning bearings but never use it as a lubricant.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

That guy is dumb. Gasoline is a solvent. It's great for cleaning bearings but never use it as a lubricant.

That guy was dumb for a lot of reasons and it disappoints me that this is what an IRL shop is being staffed by

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Grassy Knowles posted:

That guy was dumb for a lot of reasons and it disappoints me that this is what an IRL shop is being staffed by

Dish. :allears:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

He was hitting on someone whose shirt was literally just the word “Dyke”, for one. He didn’t think roller skates and skateboards would share hardware. I asked if they had any longboards and he pointed out a 36” fishtail. He thought the only bearings he had for sale were loose, but I could clearly see sealed boxes of reds behind the register. I just played dumb and was like “thanks anyway guess I’ll find a rollerskate store”

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Grassy Knowles posted:

He was hitting on someone whose shirt was literally just the word “Dyke”, for one. He didn’t think roller skates and skateboards would share hardware. I asked if they had any longboards and he pointed out a 36” fishtail. He thought the only bearings he had for sale were loose, but I could clearly see sealed boxes of reds behind the register. I just played dumb and was like “thanks anyway guess I’ll find a rollerskate store”

lol hell yeah

mystes
May 31, 2006

that's what all the gasoline fumes from lubing your bearings will do to you

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

that's what all the gasoline fumes from lubing your bearings will do to you

It would make sense, he said when he was younger he was really on fire

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Grassy Knowles posted:

He didn’t think roller skates and skateboards would share hardware.

I ran into one of these too. I asked for a pack of Reds and questioned my decision when he found out I rollerbladed, telling me these were for skateboards and might not work. When I told him they absolutely would work, that I already had a pack and just needed a second, then he was had all kinds of questions about blades and quad skates. Then he talked my ear off about a bunch of stuff that would clearly need much more planning and organization. For example he wanted to have a "skate 5k" with a cash prize gathered from entry fees, naturally. He wanted to have it "before the end of the summer" but hadn't identified a location or exact date. I didn't have the heart to tell him that all of the (running) 5ks I signed up for had signups available at least three months in advance.

Worst part was he was the owner of the skate shop.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

vonnegutt posted:

I ran into one of these too. I asked for a pack of Reds and questioned my decision when he found out I rollerbladed, telling me these were for skateboards and might not work. When I told him they absolutely would work, that I already had a pack and just needed a second, then he was had all kinds of questions about blades and quad skates. Then he talked my ear off about a bunch of stuff that would clearly need much more planning and organization. For example he wanted to have a "skate 5k" with a cash prize gathered from entry fees, naturally. He wanted to have it "before the end of the summer" but hadn't identified a location or exact date. I didn't have the heart to tell him that all of the (running) 5ks I signed up for had signups available at least three months in advance.

Worst part was he was the owner of the skate shop.

I wonder if these people understand what bearings are and how they work or if they just know where they go

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

How hard is it to clean bearings on quads if you just have a T-tool and general purpose toolbox? Asking for a me, my finger strength isn't very great and I worry about getting them back into the wheels after.

Also ty for the advice on wet weather practice! Once I feel better about general stops I definitely want to start to push myself more. And I always warm up with some practice falls though that might sound silly? Falling is what I'm most afraid of and if I just make myself practice falling first, I feel a lot more confident and stable after because it's like I know what it feels like when my balance is fall territory? And I know what to do.

It did stop raining and the river path was mostly dry. There was a bit of mud under the bridge, which made me feel incredible when I kept control of my stop through it!

I only got to the library, had to slap on some sandals and walk back because my feet get so tired so fast. Practiced my T stops and plow stops and it just felt really good to actually try the movements out for real instead of just practicing them inside the house. Feeling how much I need to really push my heels out for the plow stop made me aware just how much I never used some muscles.

My big goals right now are to work on my foot strength and overall stamina, and keep getting more comfortable with my stops without using the toe stop. Long term, I'd like to do more long distance stuff, but that's going to involve learning how to control myself on hills. Luckily, there's the teeniest baby hill nearby.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

felgs posted:

How hard is it to clean bearings on quads if you just have a T-tool and general purpose toolbox? Asking for a me, my finger strength isn't very great and I worry about getting them back into the wheels after.

It's kind of a pain in the rear end but it can be done. The one thing you really need is a bearing puller which can be as cheap as like $8 (https://www.amazon.com/Various-Fiel...ps%2C215&sr=8-9) or as expensive as like $50 if you also want it to be able to press bearings. I have this thing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079ZL1CQF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but it's because I loathe trying to remove and reseat bearings with a puller not becuase it is totally needed.

E: Here's one that's middle of the road in price but not sold by some horrible multinational conglomerate: https://rollerskatenation.com/bearing-press-puller/ and a press https://rollerskatenation.com/sure-grip-bearing-press-puller/

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 9, 2023

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I'll see about finding something local, I'm in S. Korea and all those require absurd shipping. I know a couple shops, I'm sure they have something midrange in price now that I know what to ask for.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

felgs posted:

I'll see about finding something local, I'm in S. Korea and all those require absurd shipping. I know a couple shops, I'm sure they have something midrange in price now that I know what to ask for.

:bisonyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah that was a good choice