Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Matt Apodaca has a podcast with Nick Wiger, he has plenty of experience dealing with total freaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Matt was great in the minigame, his accent worked so well for all of them.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
That Rushmore bit killed me.

Ok a lot of them did.

I hope Brennan and Ross really did go for those tacos

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
genuinely surprised thats what apodaca looks like

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Matt Apodaca has a podcast with Nick Wiger, he has plenty of experience dealing with total freaks

What’s the podcast? Is it good?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hoshi posted:

What’s the podcast? Is it good?

get played. its a video game podcast. its usually good but heather anne campbell has been enjoying fortnite too much lately

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It’s pretty much the perfect level of video game podcast for my level of gaming. There is an episode from a few years ago that is soul searingly cringey if you’re into that sort of thing.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It’s pretty much the perfect level of video game podcast for my level of gaming. There is an episode from a few years ago that is soul searingly cringey if you’re into that sort of thing.

Yes please

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Hoshi posted:

Yes please

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/custers-revenge-w-joey-clift/

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I get there's not actually a whole show in doing it, but I still miss the original Noise Boys premise, where they were trying to duplicate sound effects. Made it a little more unique than just generic improv prompts.

"Stirring Mac n' Cheese."

Show still rules.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I get there's not actually a whole show in doing it, but I still miss the original Noise Boys premise, where they were trying to duplicate sound effects. Made it a little more unique than just generic improv prompts.

Show still rules.

I miss this too.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Oof that turn is spicy

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Show still rules.

I personally enjoy watching when they have to break something lmao

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I also think the original Game Changer version had a pseudo-competitive vibe which is sorely missing from Make Some Noise. It's just like you said, generic improv.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it. But I felt like none of the episodes really hit the highs of the Game Changer ones.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I definitely love and prefer the original Make Some Noise concept but I do wonder if the majority of the cast they’ve had since would be able to make noises as well as Brennan, Josh and Zac?

I know Jake would for sure, but I feel it’d be difficult to consistently get fresh guests that could complete the sound prompts decently while also being entertaining. It should probably have a different name at this point if I’m being honest.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Athletic Footjob posted:

I definitely love and prefer the original Make Some Noise concept but I do wonder if the majority of the cast they’ve had since would be able to make noises as well as Brennan, Josh and Zac?

I know Jake would for sure, but I feel it’d be difficult to consistently get fresh guests that could complete the sound prompts decently while also being entertaining. It should probably have a different name at this point if I’m being honest.

I miss the picture prompts from the first one. Some of the best stuff they did were tied up in those.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

I miss the picture prompts from the first one. Some of the best stuff they did were tied up in those.

I forgot about those! “Yeah this dates going great” lmao

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I've started listening to more of Dimension 20. I'm on Season 2 of Fantasy High (because youtube's playlists of it ended after season 3 episode 4), and I have to say that the first like 21-22 minutes of Episode 6 (Pirate Brawl) was both pointless and painfully cringe to the point of being unlistenable. It's the first time I actually had to start skipping ahead until the bit stopped.

It was so bad that some of the players not participating asked the ones who were what they were trying to accomplish, and the response was approximately "I don't know!" and the bit still went on for like 5-7 minutes after that.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 8, 2023

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I've started listening to more of Dimension 20. I'm on Season 2 of Fantasy High (because youtube's playlists of it ended after season 3 episode 4), and I have to say that the first like 21-22 minutes of Episode 6 (Pirate Brawl) was both pointless and painfully cringe to the point of being unlistenable. It's the first time I actually had to start skipping ahead until the bit stopped.

It was so bad that some of the players not participating asked the ones who were what they were trying to accomplish, and the response was approximately "I don't know!" and the bit still went on for like 5-7 minutes after that.

All player decisions made in Leviathan were smart, correct, and unimpeachable.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
We skipped S2 of Fantasy High due to how it was produced. Volume levels were all over and I prefer editing over live recording.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I think I liked Pirates of Leviathan and The Seven better than the main Fantasy High seasons. I had to listen to season 2 with headphones, 'cause I'd have to jack the volume to hear the regular conversation, but the second anyone laughed or yelled it was crazy loud and I was worried I would piss off my neighbors.

I knew four of the answers on the newest Um, Actually! I usually get maybe one or two.

Episode 2 of D&DQ was great and ridiculous. It's fun watching them find inventive but reckless solutions. Repeatedly lying to the demon they're bargaining with, then just saying "gently caress it, let's just steal from him". They really did get so lucky that darkness rendered all of his spells ineffective.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
New breaking news is a wonderful horror. Wasabi Donut holes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

started off horrifying, ended really lovely.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

It's got Becca, Erika, AND Aabria, it was always going to have chaos energy. I loved Erika trying to dom and flailing horribly

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

Erika: "Actually I really like wasabi sweets-"
Aabria:"Shut the gently caress up right now"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wungus posted:

It's got Becca, Erika, AND Aabria, it was always going to have chaos energy. I loved Erika trying to dom and flailing horribly

In fairness that wasn't so much in the script as it was Aabria making it weird (in the best way)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The ENERGY in that Breaking News episode is special and lovely.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I was really disappointed by Play It by Ear Season 1, and so didn't keep up with Season 2. I'm caught up, and this season is way way better. Some real bangers.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Yeah, they definitely made some tweaks, it's far less on rails and Mano just gives little challenges rather than dictating the plot.

3-4 people also works WAY better than some of the larger casts they had in season 1. With more, some people get put to the sidelines, and you have more situations where you don't have Zach or Jess directly involved, and they are pretty clearly way better at this than any of the guests (despite some of the guests being very good)

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I was really disappointed by Play It by Ear Season 1, and so didn't keep up with Season 2. I'm caught up, and this season is way way better. Some real bangers.

enki42 posted:

Yeah, they definitely made some tweaks, it's far less on rails and Mano just gives little challenges rather than dictating the plot.

3-4 people also works WAY better than some of the larger casts they had in season 1. With more, some people get put to the sidelines, and you have more situations where you don't have Zach or Jess directly involved, and they are pretty clearly way better at this than any of the guests (despite some of the guests being very good)

I’ll have to give s2 a shot then

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm watching D20 for the first time (started with Fantasy High) and the section where (e9) Fig disguises herself as a Resident in the hospital was one of the funniest sections of these D&D-casts I've ever seen. This started slow but they're really in the groove at this point.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Skyl3lazer posted:

I'm watching D20 for the first time (started with Fantasy High) and the section where (e9) Fig disguises herself as a Resident in the hospital was one of the funniest sections of these D&D-casts I've ever seen. This started slow but they're really in the groove at this point.

Oh the hospital tangent is loving hilarious.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I Am Fowl posted:

Oh the hospital tangent is loving hilarious.

The only thing I've enjoyed more than that sequence is the ongoing joke of Kristen's abysmal inspiring leader speeches.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Quick Q, I know the WGA strike didn't really affect dropout, I assume the SAG strike won't either?

I mean, I know Sam supports it 0%, breaking news taught me that

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Quick Q, I know the WGA strike didn't really affect dropout, I assume the SAG strike won't either?

I mean, I know Sam supports it 0%, breaking news taught me that

This is from the discord

Sam Reich posted:

— 05/10/2023 7:43 AM
sorry for the confusing answer! i hope it would be obvious to everyone how pro-union i am in general, but that’s presumptuous of me.

basically, it’s this: the WGA largely has governance over traditional, narrative television shows. “new media” and “unscripted” shows largely fall outside of the WGA.

our shows are not only new media and unscripted, but they’re “written” mostly by us producers: myself, brennan, and a smattering of other (very important) people who would not consider themselves primarily writers by trade.

the one union we do work with more often than not is SAG - the performers union - because it offers our actors a sense of security and contributes to their health insurance.

last week, the WGA was (rightfully) trying to be as disruptive as possible, so it wasn’t clear if they would frown upon SAG work. turns out they don’t! …for now. but we wouldn’t hold it against any WGA/SAG member that felt that performing reduced the power of their position.

we are completely and utterly supportive of the WGA’s cause. writers should make more money. CEOs like me do not need to be making tens of millions of dollars. (what this country desperately needs is a law that prohibits CEOs from making X times more than their lowest paid employee.)

unions are so important because public companies feel more indebted to their executives and shareholders than their workforce. as a small company and a tiny executive team, we only have to worry about (a) running a sustainable company and (b) being as generous as possible while doing so. i think our business practices speak to that, and i would hope that our talent feels that way.

that being said, we are having constant conversations about how we can be doing better: raising rates, offering more freedom and flexibility to our full-time team, and in general being the best folks to work with around. and not merely because we’re “good people”; because that’s a competitive advantage.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
But the great promise of Dropout America? Was that a lie?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

lemonadesweetheart posted:

This is from the discord

So since they work with SAG as he said, then yes.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

bunnyofdoom posted:

So since they work with SAG as he said, then yes.

I think it gets weird though. An independent production, which basically means no one from the AMPTP is involved can negotiate their own deal. So if Dropout is free and clear of the AMPTP, they could negotiate a deal for a season of D20, or some Um Actuallys if they wanted to. Letterman did that during the last writers strike with his production company and the WGA.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Sam posted:

long story short, yes! we could avoid the WGA issues because we're non-WGA, but just about every dropout production (with a few exceptions) is SAG, as are our performers. and of course, we stand in complete and utter solidarity with them. i myself am SAG, as is brennan.

that means production shuts down for now -- but because we're so ahead of the game production-wise (dimension 20, for instance, has been shot for the rest of the year), it might be resolved in time for us to play catch up, and you might not even notice.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

seaborgium posted:

I think it gets weird though. An independent production, which basically means no one from the AMPTP is involved can negotiate their own deal. So if Dropout is free and clear of the AMPTP, they could negotiate a deal for a season of D20, or some Um Actuallys if they wanted to. Letterman did that during the last writers strike with his production company and the WGA.

Yeah it gets weird with the owner being part of SAG for negotiations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think at that point it becomes 'they have to run every single step in all their processes or any ideas past a lawyer who can go 👍 or 👎 on who they are at that moment.'

(In the immediate future I'm wondering about the whole 'SAG members have to stop promoting media properties' part, esp Sam.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 14, 2023